move 2: Focus Blast
move 3: Hidden Power Ice
move 4: Trick / Thunderbolt
item: Choice Scarf
nature: Timid
evs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
ivs: 30 Atk / 30 Def

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>By equipping a Choice Scarf, Gengar functions as both a revenge killer and a spinblocker at the same time. Unlike other Gengar sets, Choice Scarf Gengar, with prediction, has a chance to successfully block Starmie's Rapid Spin thanks to its ability to outspeed and OHKO non-Choice Scarf versions with Shadow Ball. This makes it very valuable for offensive teams that want to spinblock Starmie. Aside from spinblocking, Choice Scarf Gengar can also revenge kill sweepers such as Dragonite, Salamence, Lucario, Cloyster, Breloom, and Gyarados, although Thunderbolt is required for the latter. Although Shadow Ball and Focus Blast grant Gengar perfect neutral coverage, Choice Scarf Gengar is rather weak, so it needs to be able to hit common OU Pokemon super effectively. Hidden Power Ice allows Gengar to hit the likes of Dragonite, Salamence, Garchomp, Gliscor, and Landorus, among others. Occupying the last slot, Trick allows Gengar to cripple walls like Blissey, Chansey, and Ferrothorn. Thunderbolt is another option for the last slot, as this allows Gengar to revenge kill Gyarados and Choice Scarf Keldeo.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>For Hidden Power Ice, using IVs of 30 Atk / 30 Def is necessary in order to Speed tie with Choice Scarf Latios and Latias. Some other move options include Destiny Bond, which allows Gengar to take down Pokemon it cannot easily revenge kill like Volcarona, which is especially helpful since almost any attack will OHKO Gengar. However, if you don't predict right, a Choice-locked Destiny Bond can be easily set up on, so be careful when using it. Hidden Power Fire allows Gengar to hit Forretress super effectively, but be aware that this eliminates its ability to revenge kill Dragonite, Salamence, and Choice Scarf Garchomp. When Gengar is being used on a rain team, Thunder should be used instead of Thunderbolt if you opt to use an Electric-type move over Trick. Giga Drain allows Gengar to recover some HP so it doesn't go down as quickly and also allows it to get a super effective hit on Gastrodon. Sludge Bomb is another option in the fourth slot; although it has poor super effective coverage, it gets a guaranteed OHKO on Breloom and always 2HKOes specially defensive Celebi, which can be useful.</p>

<p>When using Choice Scarf Gengar, be very wary of Pursuit users, as they threaten this set even more than they do its other sets. Lucario and Terrakion are good teammates as they can take advantage of Choice-locked Pursuits. Using a secondary revenge killer is also a good idea; this allows Gengar to avoid having to revenge kill if Pursuit users are still around. Gengar also has a hard time revenge killing Pokemon like Volcarona, so it is ideal to run Pokemon that can handle it such as Dragonite and Terrakion.</p>

Why this set deserves to be on-site:
  • Effective revenge killer that also works as a spinblocker for offensive teams
  • With prediction, has a much easier time against Starmie than other Gengar sets; If it switches in on Rapid Spin, Choice Scarf Gengar can outspeed and OHKO with Shadow Ball
  • Revenge kills Pokemon such as Dragonite, Salamence, Garchomp, Lucario (excluding Bullet Punch), Cloyster, Breloom (when weakened) and Gyarados (only if Thunderbolt is used). Immunity to ExtremeSpeed and Mach Punch especially useful against Dragonite, Lucario, and Breloom.
Additional Comments:
  • Destiny Bond can be used instead of Trick to get a trade-off on the Pokemon Gengar doesn't revenge kill as easily, though this is easily set up on so be careful when using it
  • HP Fire can be used over HP Ice, though this hinders your ability to revenge kill Dragonite and Salamence
  • If you're using Gengar on a Rain team, you can run Thunder instead of Thunderbolt
  • Giga Drain is a viable option instead of Trick / Thunderbolt as this prevents Gengar from dying really fast; also hits Gastrodon
Teammates & Counters:
  • Pursuit is the bane of this Gengar set's existence, even moreso than its other sets. Tyranitar, Scizor, and Weavile will easily trap this set.
  • Lucario and Terrakion can take advantage of Choice-locked Pursuits
  • Cannot easily revenge kill Pokemon like Volcarona, so you'll want to run Pokemon who can take it on, such as Dragonite, Terrakion, and Air Balloon Heatran.

Lavos

Banned deucer.
thunder is an option for rain teams and hits noticeably harder than tbolt

giga drain is viable in the 4th slot as well so gar doesn't die as fast, also hits gastrodon

destiny bond is really good because scarfgar lacks a lot of the power necessary to rk many common sweepers so being able to do a 1 for 1 trade is very convenient

the part about "only viable scarfer that outspeeds scarf keldeo" is wrong, latios and latias are also very real scarfed threats. even starmie and jolteon are passable in that category

mention somewhere how this is the only gengar set that has a chance of blocking starmie's spin, since if it switches into rapid spin it can outspeed and ohko with shadow ball

some logs of this working would be nice, i know it's decent but others might not buy it

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
Oh yeah, forgot about Latios/Latias. Derp. I'll take that out.

I have a really effective team using Scarf Gengar, so I'll get some logs and see if I can fish out some replays out of my history.

phantom

Banned deucer.
Yeah, I'd give destiny bond a heavy ac mention or at least a slash. It's really good when taking out things like forretress and tentacruel. In some cases, they can spin on gar, this is just a nice way to stop that and take em out at the same time. It also works well on things gengar cant normally revenge kill at full health, like dragonite, K-B, jirachi, ect. It's kinda like a pseudo-explosion and imo is one of the only reasons you'd even use scarf gar, as Lati@s has more power and starmie has better coverage and speed.

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
Yeah, I know Destiny Bond can work out, though I personally found I had better experience with Trick. I might slash in Destiny Bond since it definitely has its uses, though I'll wait for more QC opinions.

I'd say Scarf Gengar's main selling point is the fact that it's the only Gengar set that has a chance of blocking Starmie's Rapid Spin, which is especially important considering if you're running an offensive team, you don't really want to use Jellicent.

Should Sludge Bomb get a mention somewhere? Poison has poor SE coverage, but it's a guarantee OHKO on Breloom and a 2HKO on SpD Celebi (Shadow Ball needs SR to guarantee a 2HKO on 252 HP / 236+ SpD Celebi).

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I thought this set was approved ages ago. Anyway, I reckon this set is just fine, I've used it and is hasn't really disappointed me. I still think Scarf Rotom-N is the best though. I would mention that Scarf Gengar is pretty weak though. You really need to use your super effective moves to kill pretty much anything. Shadow Ball sucks.

[qc]1/3[/qc]

Lavos

Banned deucer.
scarf rotom-n is glorious

guess i'll hop on the bandwagon, looks good to me

QC Approved 2/3

yo mention that IVs of 30 atk and 30 spe are necessary so you can tie with scarf lati@s!!

ill approve after this is written up since im not allowed to right now or something dumb

Governess

A Beautiful Blossom Waiting to Bloom
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hihi, amcheck.
This is simply fantastic writing; There were rarely any mistakes. Good job! :)

EDIT: Forgot the slash needed to be gone in the IV section of it. (Checked, and yes, no slash.)

Additions
Removes

LucaroarkZ said:
[SET]
name: Choice Scarf
move 1: Shadow Ball

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>By equipping a Choice Scarf, Gengar functions as both a revenge killer and a spinblocker at the same time. Unlike other Gengar sets, Choice Scarf Gengar, with prediction, has a chance to successfully block Starmie's Rapid Spin, as this Gengar can outspeed and OHKO non-Choice Scarf Starmie with Shadow Ball. This makes it very valuable for offensive teams who want to be able to spinblock Starmie. Aside from spinblocking, Choice Scarf can also revenge kill sweepers such as Dragonite, Salamence, Lucario, Cloyster, Breloom, and Gyarados, although Thunderbolt is required for the latter. Although Shadow Ball and Focus Blast grant Gengar perfect neutral coverage, Choice Scarf Gengar is rather weak, so it needs to be able to hit common OU Pokemon super effectively. Hidden Power Ice allows Gengar to hit the likes of Dragonite, Salamence, Garchomp, Gliscor, and Landorus, among others. In the last slot, Trick allows Gengar to cripple walls such as Blissey, Chansey, and Ferrothorn. Thunderbolt is another option for the last slot, (AC) as this allows Gengar to revenge kill Gyarados and Choice Scarf Keldeo.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>For Hidden Power Ice, using IVs of 30 Atk and 30 Def is necessary in order to sSpeed tie with Choice Scarf Latios and Latias. Choice Scarf Gengar has some other move options not yet mentioned. Destiny Bond allows Gengar to take down Pokemon it cannot easily revenge kill like, (AC) such as Volcarona, which is especially helpful since almost any attack will OHKO Gengar. However, if you don't predict right, a Choice-locked Destiny Bond can be easily set up on, so be careful when using it. Hidden Power Fire allows Gengar to hit Forretress super effectively, but be aware that this eliminates your ability to revenge kill Dragonite, Salamence, and Choice Scarf Garchomp. When Gengar is being used on a Rrain team, Thunder should be used instead of Thunderbolt if you opt to use an Electric-type move over Trick. Giga Drain allows Gengar to recover some HP so it doesn't go down as quickly, (RC) and also allows it to get a super effective hit on Gastrodon. Sludge Bomb is another option in the fourth slot; although it has poor super effective coverage, it gets a guaranteed OHKO on Breloom and always 2HKOes Sspecially defensive Celebi, which can be useful.</p>

<p>When using Choice Scarf Gengar, be very wary of Pursuit users, as they threaten this set even more than they threaten its other sets. Lucario and Terrakion are good teammates, (AC) as they can take advantage of Choice-locked Pursuits. Using a secondary revenge killer is also a good idea; as this allows Gengar to avoid having to revenge kill if Pursuit users are still around. Gengar also has a hard time revenge killing Pokemon like such as Volcarona, so it is ideal to run Pokemon who can handle it, such as Dragonite and Terrakion.</p>

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
Thanks for the amcheck Governess!

I only question how you changed every instance of "like" to "such as". Are you sure "such as" is better when only one Pokemon is mentioned? At least, from my experience, if only one Pokemon is listed as an example, GPers have had me use "like" instead of "such as."

Governess

A Beautiful Blossom Waiting to Bloom
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Well, I thought 'like' was used as a comparison; "She was always acting like that" and "Like her, blah blah blah."

However, "such as" gives a list of things, such as blah, blah, and blah, or "Superpower is great against Pokemon such as Cryogonal and blah".

Some people do use like, but I always saw it as when those girls who are super girly and use like in almost every sentence X3 (not you, of course.) but yeah, that's my input on it.

EDIT: Well, no one ever told me about the like with only one example, so maybe I'm wrong with my given logic. I'll ask GP later, but yeah, probably should listen to what they told you: they know best.

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
"like" can also mean "is similar to."

Governess's check is good, but add these couple extra changes:
set comments sentence 3 said:
This makes it very valuable for offensive teams whothat want to bethat is able to spinblock Starmie.
set comments second-to-last sentence said:
InOccupying the last slot, Trick allows Gengar to cripple walls such aslike Blissey, Chansey, and Ferrothorn.
ac paragraph 1 sentence 2 said:
Choice Scarf Gengar has some other move options that have not yet been mentioned.
ac paragraph 1 sentence 5 said:
Hidden Power Fire allows Gengar to hit Forretress super effectively, but be aware that this eliminates yourits ability to revenge kill Dragonite, Salamence, and Choice Scarf Garchomp.
ac paragraph 2 sentence 1 said:
When using Choice Scarf Gengar, be very wary of Pursuit users, as they threaten this set even more than they threatendo its other sets.
ac paragraph 2 last sentence said:
Gengar also has a hard time revenge killing Pokemon like Volcarona, so it is ideal to run Pokemon whothat can handle it, such as Dragonite and Terrakion.

With these and Governess's check, we can call this

[gp]1/2[/gp]

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
Thanks for the stamp!

"That want that is able to spinblock Starmie" didn't seem gramatically correct in my head, so I instead used "that want to spinblock Starmie," which gets the same point across with slightly fewer words.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
add
remove
comments

[SET]
name: Choice Scarf
move 1: Shadow Ball

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>By equipping a Choice Scarf, Gengar functions as both a revenge killer and a spinblocker at the same time. Unlike other Gengar sets, Choice Scarf Gengar, with prediction, has a chance to successfully block Starmie's Rapid Spin, as this Gengar can Spin thanks to its ability to outspeed and OHKO non-Choice Scarf Starmie versions with Shadow Ball. This makes it very valuable for offensive teams that want to spinblock Starmie. Aside from spinblocking, Choice Scarf Gengar can also revenge kill sweepers such as Dragonite, Salamence, Lucario, Cloyster, Breloom, and Gyarados, although Thunderbolt is required for the latter. Although Shadow Ball and Focus Blast grant Gengar perfect neutral coverage, Choice Scarf Gengar is rather weak, so it needs to be able to hit common OU Pokemon super effectively. Hidden Power Ice allows Gengar to hit the likes of Dragonite, Salamence, Garchomp, Gliscor, and Landorus, among others. Occupying the last slot, Trick allows Gengar to cripple walls like Blissey, Chansey, and Ferrothorn. Thunderbolt is another option for the last slot, as this allows Gengar to revenge kill Gyarados and Choice Scarf Keldeo.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>For Hidden Power Ice, using IVs of 30 Atk / 30 Def is necessary in order to Speed tie with Choice Scarf Latios and Latias. Choice Scarf Gengar has some other move options that have not yet been mentioned. Some other move options include Destiny Bond, which allows Gengar to take down Pokemon it cannot easily revenge kill like Volcarona, which is especially helpful since almost any attack will OHKO Gengar. However, if you don't predict right, a Choice-locked Destiny Bond can be easily set up on, so be careful when using it. Hidden Power Fire allows Gengar to hit Forretress super effectively, but be aware that this eliminates its ability to revenge kill Dragonite, Salamence, and Choice Scarf Garchomp. When Gengar is being used on a rain team, Thunder should be used instead of Thunderbolt if you opt to use an Electric-type move over Trick. Giga Drain allows Gengar to recover some HP so it doesn't go down as quickly and also allows it to get a super effective hit on Gastrodon. Sludge Bomb is another option in the fourth slot; although it has poor super effective coverage, it gets a guaranteed OHKO on Breloom and always 2HKOes specially defensive Celebi, which can be useful.</p>

<p>When using Choice Scarf Gengar, be very wary of Pursuit users, as they threaten this set even more than they do its other sets. Lucario and Terrakion are good teammates as they can take advantage of Choice-locked Pursuits. Using a secondary revenge killer is also a good idea; this allows Gengar to avoid having to revenge kill if Pursuit users are still around. Gengar also has a hard time revenge killing Pokemon like Volcarona, so it is ideal to run Pokemon that can handle it such as Dragonite and Terrakion.</p>

[gp]2/2[/gp]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)