Gengar [QC 0/2]

Egor

нет, товарищ генерал, это вы даёте
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
RoAPL Champion
Mega_Gengar_(Shiny).png

fuck yeah shiny

[OVERVIEW]

* Mega Gengar has an amazing base 130 Speed, allowing it to outpace many VGC top threats such as Mega Salamence and Mega Metagross. Mega Gengar also has a Speed tie with Tapu Koko.

* Its ability Shadow Tag enables to remove weakened foes and sets Mega Gengar as a decent Perish trapper.

* With its sky-high Special Attack, Mega Gengar hits opposing Pokemon very hard. It can OHKO Tapu Lele and Mega Metagross, and 2HKO Mega Salamence.

* However, Mega Gengar is very frail. Without bulk investiment, Mega Gengar is hurt by any neutral attack pretty hard, but even with bulk investiment, Mega Gengar can be OHKOed by some strong neutral attacks such as Mega Salamence's Double-Edge.

* Also Mega Gengar's defensive typing is terrible, leaving Mega Gengar with weakness to very common Dark- and Ground-type attacks.

[SET]
name: Special Attacker
move 1: Sludge Bomb
move 2: Shadow Ball
move 3: Perish Song / Icy Wind / Taunt
move 4: Protect
item: Gengarite
ability: Cursed Body
nature: Timid
evs: 92 HP / 4 Def / 148 SpA / 12 SpD / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

* Slugde Bomb is Gengar's main STAB move. It hits Fairy-types like Guardian Deities and Mega Gardevoir, but can't hit Mega Mawile and other Steel-types. Sludge Bomb hits Dark-types which Shadow Ball can't, such as Incineroar.

* Shadow Ball has pretty good neutral coverage. It hits many targets which Sludge Bomb can't, such as Ferrothorn and Mega Mawile, and it also hits Psychic-types like Mega Metagross.

* The third moveslot has a plenty of options. Perish Song works well in conjunction with Shadow Tag, trapping foes and removing them in three turns after using. However, Mega Gengar's terrible bulk and defensive typing does makes Perish Song less reliable, as Mega Gengar has dufficulties with staying on the field. Icy Wind provides Speed control for your team by decreasing opponent's Pokemon Speed by one stage. With Shadow Tag, Mega Gengar can eliminate its faster checks and Tailwind-boosted Pokemon. Icy Wind also gives Mega Gengar a coverage to Landorus-T and Mega Salamence. Taunt prevents opposing Tailwind and Trick Room, as well as Mega Salamence's Dragon Dance and support moves such as Politoed's Helping Hand and Encore.

* Protect makes Perish trapping more easy and allows Mega Gengar to survive double targets.

* Cursed Body is the only pre-Mega ability. It's useless, as Gengar in most cases should Mega evolve as soon as possible and shouldn't be switched into attack.

* The given EV spread with Timid nature maximizes Mega Gengar's Speed and allows it to hit pretty hard even without full Special Attack investiment, while gives Mega Gengar a chance to survive Incineroar's Knock Off and increases its overall bulk.

* Gengar shouldn't be switched into attack due to its frailty. Bringing it on the field through fainted teammate or leading with Gengar is fine.

* Mega Gengar can be used for trapping opposing Tailwind or Trick Room setters, eliminating them or prevent Speed control setting with Taunt. However, Taunt doesn't block Icy Wind or Electroweb.

* Kommo-o is an excellent teammate, as it beats Dark-types such as Tyranitar for Mega Gengar. Mega Gengar in return beats Fairy-types like Tapu Koko and Mega Gardevoir, which threatens Kommo-o. Kommo-o also appretiates Speed control provided with Icy Wind and blocking opposing Tailwind and Trick Room with Taunt.

* Alolan Persian is a good teammate because it provides one of the fastest Fake Out in the game, allowing Mega Gengar to put all Pokémon on the Perish counter, block opposing Tailwind or Trick Room with Taunt, provide Speed control for your team with Icy Wind or simply hit opposing Pokémon. Alolan Persian's Snarl in conjunction with Mega Gengar's Shadow Tag can trap and eliminate special attackers.

* Ally Switch Porygon2 also works pretty good with Mega Gengar because it can switch positions with Mega Gengar and take on a Ghost-type attack targeted to Mega Gengar, and Mega Gengar can take on a Fighting-type attack targeted to Porygon2.

* Mega Gengar appreciates Intimidate support from the likes of Incineroar and Landorus-T, which reduces damage from physical attacks and can turn some OHKOs on Mega Gengar to 2HKOs.

* Tapu Bulu with Grassy Terrain weakens Earthquake, making it less dangerous for Mega Gengar. Tapu Bulu also can beat Tyranitar and Landorus-T, which are threats to Mega Gengar.

Last edited:

Egor

is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
RoAPL Champion
I wrote this. Ready for qc

No mention of Kommo-o? I havent played in months by myself, but from what I recall and from what I have been following, I thought that Kommo-o is like one of the most popular partners for Gengar?

Egor

RoAPL Champion
No mention of Kommo-o? I havent played in months by myself, but from what I recall and from what I have been following, I thought that Kommo-o is like one of the most popular partners for Gengar?
Forgot about it. Thanks!

Darkmalice

Level 3
is a Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Mega Gengar's primary use through Shadow Tag is facilitating a sweep from a teammate. The main two methods it does this are:
  • Removing key threats to said teammate. The most prominent example is removing the Tapus to facilitate a Kommo-O sweep
  • Direct trapping - locking in opposing Pokemon whom said teammate can set up on
Your analysis focuses on the wrong aspects. You don't focus enough on supporting its teammates, whilst focusing too much on Perish Song. It is generally not used with Perish Song, and its most common team archetype is the Kommo-O/MGeng/Bulu/Incin/Clefairy/Xurk or Azumarill instead of Xur, where Gengar's role is positioning to set up a sweep from Kommo-O / Xurk / Azu either by direct trapping or remove fairies especially Fini. Here's an example on a less set-up heavy team. Granted this is a MGeng analysis, so there should be more focus on it than the team archetypes its on.

Icy Wind is the most common move and should be slashed first, Taunt as second. These help support teammates for a sweep, and are more common on PGL. Then Perish Song as the third slash.

Modest has picked up more often in recent times with a bulkier spread. Timid is still more common, but Modest could be slashed behind it. Obviously it would go with a different EV spread; I've taken the spread from the example:

108 HP / 92 Def / 76 SpA / 4 SpD / 228 Spe
This particular Gengar spread makes it one point faster than Metagross and very bulky. The idea was KOing bulkless Metagross most of the time and having a favorable roll to survive its Stomping Tantrum; it also survives Tapu Koko’s Gigavolt Havoc outside of the electric terrain. The whole bulk ended up being fundamental during the tournament, in combination with Intimidate cycles; for example, I was able to survive 2 attacks from opposing Incineroars multiple times.
  • 252 Atk Tough Claws Mega Metagross Stomping Tantrum vs. 108 HP / 92 Def Mega Gengar: 130-154 (87.2 – 103.3%) — 18.8% chance to OHKO
  • 252 SpA Tapu Koko Gigavolt Havoc (175 BP) vs. 108 HP / 4 SpD Mega Gengar: 126-148 (84.5 – 99.3%) — guaranteed 2HKO

Kommo-o is an excellent teammate, as it beats Dark-types such as Tyranitar for Mega Gengar. Mega Gengar in return beats Fairy-types like Tapu Koko and Mega Gardevoir, which threatens Kommo-o. Kommo-o also appretiates Speed control provided with Icy Wind and blocking opposing Tailwind and Trick Room with Taunt.
This is another example of focusing on the wrong aspects. Generally the most important reason for a teammate should be mentioned first, and it is not Kommo-O beating Dark-types. It is the second point, MGengar beating Fairy-types. The key Fairy-type target is Tapu Fini (as Misty Terrain is a pain in the ass for Kommo-O) which should be mentioned alongside Tapu Koko. In fact MGeng trapping Dark-types can be good since Kommo-O can set up on them (Incineroar and Tyranitar both being the most common ones and being easy set-up targets), though Kommo-O beating them for MGeng is also a plus. On a lesser note, MGeng is either using Icy Wind or Taunt, not both. You imply that it has both on the same moveset.

Similarly I'd mention Intimidate support and Bulu before Alolan Persian and Ally Switch Porygon2, with Porygon2 before Alolan Persian. That's mainly reflecting more common partners. MGeng also prevents opposing Pokemon from switching out to remove Intimidate. This can be taken advantage, in particular to help a teammate sweep. Also most of your point on Persian are non-specific for any Fake Out users (Perish counter point), later just highlighting strengths on MGeng (Taunt/Icy Wind). Snarl is the only specific point. Fake Out is more useful for helping MGeng removing the desired target safely rather than prolonging the Perish Song counter. Persian isn't common at all; I rather mention Incineroar, who also provides Fake Out support, has Intimidate support (you could follow on to Incineroar after or before mentioning Intimidate) and then mention the choice of Snarl (for A-Persian) or Low Kick for checking Dark-types. If you really wanted to mention A-Persian, you could mention it afterwards for Fake Out, Snarl and also Parting Shot (similar to Intimidate and Snarl, opposing Pokemon can't switch out to remove them). Dark-types can also switch into Psychic-type attacks aimed at MGeng.

You could go on to say that MGeng pairs well with the Tapus in general as it can trap and eliminate other Tapus, helping win terrain wars with your own Tapus. This can be tied in to your mention of Tapu Bulu.

You may need to rewrite other parts of the analysis to shift the focus of your analysis accordingly.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)