Gettin' Sandy (OU SS Team)

Intro (Pretty short, sorry):
I've always had some sort of love for Tyranitar, ever since I first saw it in Pokemon Silver I was in love, and I figured that enough people are running weather teams, so I decided to run this as a semi-counter to other weather teams, During the team building process I made sure that I am not really weak to any weather teams. Personally I think it's a pretty decent team & It's Peaked at 1200 on the PO server today.

The Team:

Tyranitar @Focus Sash
Sand Stream
Modest
252 Sp Atk / 252 Speed / 6 HP
Dark Pulse
Flamethrower
Ice Beam
Rock Polish

Get my team rolling with this guy 90% of the time, getting that SS up and keeping it up is what wins me games, my team heavily relies on keeping that SS going, so I have to be extremely careful and not let ttar faint before the opposing weather-inducer has fainted. & If there is no weather inducer I am free to do whatever I feel works, which usually isn't that tough. But the mean idea behind this ttar is to take out pokes that would otherwise wall or hurt my team pretty badly (eg. Ferrothorn, Dnite, Latios etc.)

Landorus @Choice Scarf
Sand Force
Modest
252 Sp Atk / 252 Spd / 6 HP
Earth Power
Sludge Wave
Pyschic
Focus Blast

I've always had a passion for this poke, he's pretty bulky and helps my team out by sponging fighting attacks and being able to revenge kill fairly well, I'm running sludge wave to deal with pesky grass types that would be tough to kill, and EP / Psychic / Focus blast provide pretty decent coverage all in all, combined with sand force Earth Power becomes my go to attack, dealing alot of damage to alot of different pokes. (Relies on SS being up)

Vaporeon @Leftovers
Water Absorb
Calm
252 HP / 67 Def / 188 Sp Def
Wish
Ice Beam
Surf
Hidden Power [Electric]

After playing this team for a while I came to the conclusion that I needed a water resistant poke, that has fairly decent special attack, and decent bulk. And since I like running a core of 3 sp attackers and 3 phys attackers. Vaporeon is pretty bulky and can counter any ice poke, and can easily come in to check a politoed and 2HKO-3HKO it with HP Electric, or force it out. I added wish as a support move, since none of my pokes have a recovery move, Surf and Ice Beam completes the coverage against enemy SS pokes like Garchomp / TTar / Hippo. It's also a great counter to heatran, easily sponging it's attacks and hitting back with a STAB surf.

Excadrill @Air Baloon
Sand Rush
Adamant
252 Atk / 252 Speed / 6 HP
Swords Dance
Drill Run
Brick Break
Rock Slide

What would a SS team be without this guy, he's an absolute monster when it's sandy, hitting 5xx speed. Put that together with a swords dance and he can tear through whole teams easily, I also find that it's a pretty good check for itself, since most excadrill's run a ballon I can hit it with a super effective brick break and then easily finish it off with another poke or another brick break. I've had alot of luck with drill run, and I prefer it over earthquake for the crit hax :p Even without the SS up this guy can sweep like a champ, but I avoid using him untill there is some sand, because that is where he is deadliest.

Garchomp @Yache Berry
Sand Veil
Jolly
Swords Dance
Earthquake
Dual Chop
Fire Fang (Or stone edge)

Pretty normal chomp, it's a real menace at +2, and +4 or higher is pretty much a GG. I use him as a revenge killer, and also as an electric sponge and my best way to get rid of opposing weather inducers, it's also incredible at coming in when there is a chansey/blissey in play so it can set up and begin a sweep, which almost always causes 2 or more enemy pokes to faint. I couldn't decide if I should keep fire fang or not, It provides decent coverage vs Ferro and Forry, but I'm not sure if stone edge is better for coverage.

Leafon @Leftovers
Leaf Guard
Jolly
Swords Dance
Leaf Blade
X-Scissor
Double Edge

Leafeon caps off this team as my late game sweeper, or a main sweeper vs rain teams, Leafon has really great physical bulk, and can dish alot of damage with boosted Leaf Blades or X-Scissor's. I'm not 100% sure if there is a better option, but I would be looking for a physical grass (or something that can check water offensively) But I chose leafeon and I have been having alot of success, It can check other SS teams (TTar, Hippo etc.) and can easily check Rain teams (Politoed, Kabutops, Jellicent etc.)

Leafeon replaced with:

Leafeon seems like the odd one out here. Instead of it, I suggest running a SD Virizion. It has greater coverage, Speed and Special Defense and is always a good option against Rain.

Virizion @ Leftovers
Jolly Nature
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
~Swords Dance
~Close Combat
~Leaf Blade
~Stone Edge

Strategies.

Vs Other Sand Teams.
Usually this ends up in a Excadrill vs Excadrill battle, which is why mine carries brick break, and I can also check excadrill fairly well with Landorus and Chomp. Problems come up when I get taken by surprise or if the opposing team has a bulky Jirachi or something similar, since Ttar can't be trusted to 2HKO Jirachi, since it itself gets 2HKO'd by Iron Head (Not counting flinches)

Vs Sun Teams
Really simple really, I don't even need to have sand up to do fairly well, almost every poke I have can check fire types, and I can check grass types with Excadrill and Chomp/Landorus. If I can kill ninetales/vulpix off I send in Ttar to get my ss up and sweep with Chomp or Excadrill

Vs Rain Teams
Can be a problem, switching into a specstoed hydropump does a faily large chunk to anyone (excluding vaporeon) My main strat is to take down as many pokes as I can while the sand is up, and then have a weather war to keep the advantage on my side, Ttar does have a focus sash, so he can stay in VS pokes like Starmie and Slowbro and deal some respectable damage with Dark Pulse.

Vs Any Teams
A general problem is my lack of a dedicated wall, I usually split the walling duties with whatever can resist the best, and I'm considering removing leafeon and replacing it with a quasi-dedicated wall

That's all for now, It's only my 2nd RMT ever so I am sorry if there is any mistakes, be it spelling or visually.

-Adamant Magikarp

why not run rock polish landorus i used it to great success

Landorus @ life orb
Sand force

Rock Polish
HP Ice
Earthquake
Stone Edge

252 Spd, 252 Atk,4 SpA

Leafeon seems like the odd one out here. Instead of it, I suggest running a SD Virizion. It has greater coverage, Speed and Special Defense and is always a good option against Rain.

Virizion @ Leftovers
Jolly Nature
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
~Swords Dance
~Close Combat
~Leaf Blade
~Stone Edge

why not run rock polish landorus i used it to great success

Landorus @ life orb
Sand force

Rock Polish
HP Ice
Earthquake
Stone Edge

252 Spd, 252 Atk,4 SpA
Can't go wrong with rock polish, I'll try this out. Without a Scarf I think he can be a real monster with all the coverage options

Virizion @ Leftovers
Jolly Nature
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
~Swords Dance
~Close Combat
~Leaf Blade
~Stone Edge
I've been tinkering around with a Virizion build, But I have left out SD each time, I'll see how this goes w/ SD

TheFourthChaser

#TimeForChange
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
This team is weak to Lati@s and some of your sets could be changed to make your team more effective. Your Tyranitar set is weird, it dies faster which will make you lose to other weather teams, it still loses to Fighters, Scizor, and Excadrill, and changing it could help you with your Lati@s problem. This Ttar is much bulkier and has ChestoRest to help your weather stay alive longer, SR helps the sweepers on your team and Pursuit is for Lati@s.

Tyranitar (M) @ Chesto Berry
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP/126 Atk/12 Spd/120 SDef
Careful nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Rest
- Pursuit

I don't get the point in using Special Scarf Landorus, you're using Sludge Bomb and Psychic for revenging when a Physical set has better coverage, stronger, and can keep up your momentum. You mention having Sludge Bomb for Grass types but the most common Grass in the meta is immune to this attack. This set and spread outspeed +1 base 100's like Salamence and Volcarona and OHKO with Stone Edge. Earthquake is nice STAB and would help to take out Pokemon like Terakion, U-Turn allows you to deal damage and switch a Pokemon that would give you an advantage, and Explosion is there for a tight situation.

Landorus (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Sand Force
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn
- Explosion

Some of the other movesets could use slight changes to make them better. You say that you use Drill Run over Earthquake for crit hax but thats not something you should rely on and EQ is dealing more damage overall. Dual Chop on Garchomp is a good idea on a Scarf set but it isn't needed on a sweeper and can miss so try out Dragon Claw. In 4th Gen HP Electric on Vaporeon was good for Gyarados but in BW Gyarados are not nearly as common so Hidden Power becomes less useful, I'd use Protect for scouting and to help Vaporeon heal itself with Wish.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)