ORAS OU Getting Nasty with Mega Houndoom

Getting Nasty With Mega Houndoom

Hi there! Im Koista12. While you probably have no idea who I am, I'm a long time lurker on the Smogon Forums and an avid player of the OU tier. I recently went through the RMT forums looking for a Mega Houndoom team, but I couldnt find one. Around this time, I also discovered this amazing teambuilding guide and decided to put my skills to the test. So without further ado, here's my Mega Houndoom Hyper Offense team:​

I started out with one goal in mind: to build an HO team using Nasty Plot M-Houndoom with Sludge Bomb as its wincon. Houndoom is one of my favorite pokemon and ORAS is the first time it's been viable in OU since ADV.

One of the key ideas behind HO is using pokemon with similar checks to break through a team. I decided that a dark spam core would suit Houndoom, and after some deliberation, I settled on Weavile on the dark type partner of choice. Weavile could not only wear Azumarill and Keldeo down for Houndoom, but it could also help against annoying pokemon like Tornadus-T, Tyranitar, Heatran, and M-Gyarados with a Low Kick set, or trap Psychic types for the rest of the team.

Both of the pokemon I had were already fast, but I needed to be even faster. Scarf Keldeo dealt with many of Houndoom's offensive checks, such as Mega Lopunny, Mega Gyarados, Weavile, and Mega Manectric. Mega Houndoom could dispose of Grass types for Keldeo, and lure in Altaria with Sludge Bomb.

At this point I needed rocks and was overwhelming weak to Talonflame, so like any offense player would, I slapped a tankchomp on my team. It invites pokemon like Skarmory, Mega Sableye, and Slowbro for Mega Doom to set up on, and also provides relief against all forms of priority.

It was at this point of the teambuilding process I ran into trouble. I needed several things, including more speed control, hazard control, electric checks, a Manaphy check, Keldeo check, Clefable check, and ways to create more opportunities for Houndoom to set up. I floated up using Latias and Thundurus, but realized how weak that left me to Clefable. I remembered a novel set I had found in the Next Best Thing thread: Heal Block Latios. This allowed Latios to troll answers such as Clefable, Chansey, Skarmory, and more defensive pokemon who needed recovery moves to keep up with HO. Combined with NP + Thunder Wave Thundurus, I could wallbreak more easily against balance and stall, and hold my own against offense.

After laying bare my shoddy teambuilding process, it's only fair that you get the pleasure of laughing at the team itself. So, here goes:

The Squad

Houndoom @ Houndoominite
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
IVs: 0 Atk
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Fire Blast
- Dark Pulse
- Sludge Bomb

The star of the show, and one of my two set up sweepers, Houndoom is a decent pokemon in ORAS OU, in which a plethora of Steel and Psychic types reside that Houndoom can easily set up on or dispose of with its amazing STABs. While Houndoom usually has trouble with Water, Fairy, and Fighting types, Sludge Bomb can partially relieve those issues: At +2 it cleanly OHKOes Mega Altaria, does a minimum of 98% to standard Clefable, does 70 - 82% to Keldeo, and 79 - 93% to Mega Diancie. With teamates like Weavile and consistent offensive pressure, Houndoom can easily sweep lategame thanks to its fantastic speed tier.

Weavile @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
IVs: 29 HP
Jolly Nature
- Icicle Crash
- Knock Off
- Ice Shard
- Pursuit / Low Kick

Weavile was my almost immediate second choice for Houndoom, with good reason: All the pokemon mentioned previously can be weakened or removed by Weavile with ease, and Weavile also offers priority to deal with even faster pokemon. The 33 - 38% that Weavile's Knock Off does to Keldeo and the 31 - 37% that it does to Azumarill wears both of the down fast, especially with rocks, and removing Clefable's leftovers is just the icing on the cake. Pursuit is preferred, as it traps Lati@s for the team, which I don't have switch ins to; it also traps Tornadus at around 60% health. However, Low Kick can be used to deal more damage against Tyranitar, Ferrothorn, Heatran, and Bisharp, and thus pave the way for Thundurus or Houndoom to sweep.

Keldeo @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Justified
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
IVs: 1 Atk / 30 SpA
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Hidden Power [Electric]

I view Scarf Keldeo as a necessary evil: it's honestly piss weak and is useful pretty much for checking offense and nothing else. That said, its synergy with Sludge Bomb Mega Houndoom is fabulous: Keldeo removes Tyranitar, (Mega) Gyarados, Heatran, Charizard Y, Lopunny and Weavile for Houndoom, while benefitting from Houndoom's threatening of Ferrothorn, Mew, Celebi, Slowbro, Lati@s and Sableye, and the luring of Clefable and Altaria. I use Hidden Power Electric to deal with Starmie and Azumarill - Icy Wind doesnt actually damage Tornadus or Latios, significantly and is really only useful for Garchomp.

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 HP / 164 Def / 92 Spe
Impish Nature
- Dragon Tail
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast / Endure
- Stealth Rock

"In the beginning, there was Talonflame. Then God said, 'Let there be Tankchomp.' And it was good."
- Genesect 1:1

Even Richard Dawkins has to admit that Bulky Garchomp is God's Gift to Offense. This mon is indespensible for checking Lopunny, Burds, and Talonflame, and is the #1 reason why half of Talonflames forgo Flare Blitz for Will-O-Wisp. Even so, it still does its job on this team as a Stealth Rock user and Heatran check. Most of the moveset is obvious; Tank Chomp does well on this team because it pressures hazard removers, especialky when using Pursuit on Weavile. I use Fire Blast in the last slot because Toxic isn't particularly needed on this team, and it's always nice to hit up Ferrothorn and Mega Scizors that think they can do as they please. That said, feel free to use Endure to deal with Ice Punch Lopunny.

Latios @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Heal Block
- Defog

I hate Latios. It's honestly not that great in OU in my opinion: It's speed tier is average, it cant reliably break through Steel types, it loses to Bisharp, and its a weak Keldeo check. That said, it's a mon I need on my team as it fulfills several important roles: Electric Check, Keldeo Check, Defogger (Defoger?) and Clefable lure. I started out with Latias, because it's a better Keldeo and Electric type check, but I then realized that a +1/+1 Clefable curbstomped me, and Latias gave it opportunities to set up. So I switched to using this set instead. It's pretty cool. Softening Clefable for Thundurus as well as beating Chansey some of the times is enjoyable, and what's really fun is denying Slack Off to a Hippo or Slowbro that think they can stall out Draco Meteor.

Latios also plays a role in that many of its checks (Ferrothorn, Skarmory, Tyranitar, Jirachi, Tornadus, etc) are complete set up fodder for Houndoom or can be trapped by Weavile should it run Pursuit. I can sack Latios to Scizor, only to gain free entrance with Houndoom and start passing out Fire Blasts.

Thundurus @ Life Orb
Ability: Prankster
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Thunder Wave
- Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast / Hidden Power [Ice] / Hidden Power [Flying]

Thundurus is the glue that ties this team together IMO. It consolidates several important roles: secondary breaker, Manaphy Check, secondary Burds Check and emergency button. Nasty Plot is by far it's best set in this meta; it has immense power and a good speed tier. Thundurus really benefits from the effects of Heal Block and the team's effectiveness against ground types. Focus Blast should be used if Weavile is using Pursuit: This helps the team with Ferrothorn, Heatran, and Tyranitar. If using Low Kick on Weavile, either Hidden Power can work, although HP Ice really helps with Latios and Latias, while HP Flying has good neutral coverage in general with Thunderbolt.

There's the team! Please sugggest improvements and expose weaknesses; it isn't a particularly good team and has some major weaknesses (mainly electrics and Excadrill in sand). Thank you for taking the time to read my RMT and have fun testing it out!
Importable:

Houndoom @ Houndoominite
Ability: Flash Fire
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Fire Blast
- Dark Pulse
- Sludge Bomb

Weavile @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
IVs: 29 HP
Jolly Nature
- Icicle Crash
- Knock Off
- Ice Shard
- Pursuit / Low Kick

Keldeo @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Justified
IVs: 1 Atk / 30 SpA
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Hidden Power [Electric]

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 HP / 164 Def / 92 Spe
Impish Nature
- Dragon Tail
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast
- Stealth Rock

Latios @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Heal Block
- Defog

Thundurus @ Life Orb
Ability: Prankster
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Thunder Wave
- Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast / Hidden Power [Ice] / Hidden Power [Flying]

Last edited:
Hi!

Your team doesn't have anything that can actually switch into a Lati, which lets it drop Draco Meteors all day. Choice Scarf Jirachi > Latios + Choice Band Azumarill > Weavile / Keldeo would be my personal change, which removes your hazard control :c but also puts a lot more pressure on the opponent, with Jirachi being able to provide HW support for Mega Houndoom, as well as provide momentum for your team with U-Turn, and Azumarill also helping to weaken Tyranitar and Conkeldurr for Mega Houndoom, which Weavile cannot really do since it really needs Pursuit (or you can lose to any decently played Lati). Klefki is the only opposing Spikes setter that can really put in work, but you can revive any paralysis with HW Jirachi. Azumarill + Keldeo also form a neat Water-spam core, if you want to go the offense route, and is my preferred one, although if you want to keep that extremely sexy dark spam core you can always replace Keldeo instead. Latios also compounds a weakness to Azumarill, which already annoys much of your team as it is.

Alternative moveset changes with my Pokemon changes would be to try Taunt Mega Houndoom, which really cripples stall teams whose only check to Mega Houndoom is Chansey. You could also try Will-O-Wisp, but I think that your team would be better off with Taunt. Jirachi + Will-O-Wisp on the switch tends to handle Mega Altaria really well, so I do not see Sludge Bomb as completely necessary.

Your RMT was a very enjoyable read, thank you :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)