Gen 2 Girafarig (UU) [QC 2/2] [GP 2/2]

BT89

go on, take everything
is a Pre-Contributor

i am the palindrome >;)

[OVERVIEW]

Girafarig holds its niche in UU mainly as a Baton Pass user that can threaten Haze users, phazers, and status inducers with its respectable 90 base Special Attack. With its solid Special Attack and offensive movepool, it can also force Pokemon weak to its moves to retreat, creating more setup opportunities. It stands out among Baton Pass users as the only one able to pass Amnesia boosts, which makes it a decent support Pokemon that can give its setup sweeper teammates a boost in bulk or Speed. Girafarig has to be used with care, however, as its frailty leaves it susceptible to hard-hitting Pokemon, such as Piloswine and Granbull.

[SET]
name: Baton Pass
move 1: Baton Pass
move 2: Agility
move 3: Amnesia / Psychic
move 4: Psychic / Thunder
item: Leftovers / Miracle Berry

[SET COMMENTS]
Set Description
===========
This set passes Speed and Special Defense boosts for a teammate to sweep. Agility is the best thing it can pass, since very few Pokemon can outspeed +2 sweepers. It can also pass an Amnesia boost so teammates can set up on special attackers; for example, +2 Special Defense Belly Drum Quagsire can set up on Slowking, which fails to do more than 50% with two uses of Surf. The last moveslot should be able to deter Haze users, phazers, and status inducers. Psychic is usually preferred due to it having high odds to 2HKO Nidoqueen and consistently deterring phazers such as Piloswine. Thunder is a worthwhile option due to the high number of Flying- and Water-types in the tier, including phazer Gyarados, although Ground-types are threatening if Girafarig forgoes Psychic. Dropping Amnesia to maximize coverage against phazers is a valid option.

Team Options
============
Quagsire makes for a great teammate, as Speed boosts allow Quagsire to power through things more efficiently with its deadly combination of Belly Drum and STAB Earthquake. Additionally, it lacks ways to effectively deal with Haze users and phazers prior to setting up. Poliwrath is another common choice for a Speed boost recipient, as it has Lovely Kiss + Belly Drum, which allows it to better deal with Haze users, phazers, and status inducers that might have switched in as Girafarig used Baton Pass. Politoed also gets these benefits while having higher Special Defense and no weakness to Psychic- and Flying-type attacks. It has lower Defense and Attack than Poliwrath, but still reaches close to 999 Attack at +6. Swords Dance Bellossom and Vileplume can use passed boosts to set up more reliably, although they can struggle against Haze users if they lack Sleep Powder. Pikachu makes for a solid receiver, since with a Growth passer such as Flareon, it can become an immensely strong threat. Explosion users such as Electrode and Haunter are great for taking down big threats, such as Granbull and Nidoqueen, while also providing screens and Thief support. Mr. Mime offers Baton Pass for keeping momentum as well as amazing utility with moves such as Encore, Thunder Wave, and Barrier.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
============
Girafarig has a fairly wide and useful movepool, so many things can work. Curse can be used instead of Amnesia to boost physically oriented teammates using coverage or recovery moves over setup. However, the Speed drop is usually less than ideal, and other Baton Pass users tend to be better at passing Attack and Defense boosts. Girafarig can also run a mixed offensive set with its other coverage options, such as Earthquake, which can nail Magneton unexpectedly and deal more damage to Electric-types in general. Thief is a solid option on such a set, as it hinders bulky, Leftovers-reliant foes such as Hypno.

Checks and Counters
============
**Physical Attackers**: Girafarig's mediocre defenses and lack of Barrier leave it open to physical threats overcoming it. Curse + RestTalk Granbull can withstand Psychic and deal with common Baton Pass recipients while hitting back hard with Return. Quagsire and Piloswine can hit Girafarig hard with Earthquake and use Curse to give Baton Pass recipients difficulty. Piloswine is even able to use Roar. Girafarig is also vulnerable to Bug-types. Scyther and Pinsir are able to 2HKO it with Hidden Power Bug.

**Magneton**: Magneton resists Girafarig's standard coverage and can hit back hard with STAB Thunder, set up a Substitute, or use Reflect to assist against potential Baton Pass recipients. Although they are less common, Hidden Power Grass variants can also threaten Quagsire, one of the most common recipients of Girafarig's boosts. However, with some deft maneuvering, Girafarig can get around Magneton with Amnesia, Baton Passing to a Ground- or Grass-type at the right moment, or even with Earthquake.

**Jumpluff**: Jumpluff is a serious annoyance to Baton Pass chains. Its fast Encore can lock Girafarig into a boosting move, forcing it out as Jumpluff inflicts status on its team. Jumpluff can also use Encore as a Speed-boosted recipient attempts to set up for a sweep, foiling even a recipient equipped with Miracle Berry. However, Jumpluff can do nothing if a boosted Girafarig passes to a Miracle Berry Poliwrath or Politoed, as at +2 Speed, they can outspeed and put it to sleep before setting up.

**Other Psychic-types**: Hypno is easily able to tank hits from Girafarig and set up with Curse, the Defense boosts from which could nullify an attempted Belly Drum sweep. Mr. Mime is able to lock Girafarig and its recipients into a setup move with Encore.

**Explosion**: Girafarig is severely lacking in methods to deal with Explosion users. It cannot learn Substitute and there are very few Baton Pass users or recipients that resist Normal-type moves. Electrode can set up screens for its team before it explodes, since it can take multiple hits from Psychic. Haunter can put Girafarig to sleep before using Explosion, although there is a small chance that Psychic will OHKO Haunter in return if it misses or Girafarig has Miracle Berry. Graveler with Leftovers will almost always survive two hits from Psychic despite its horrid special bulk, and its Explosion will KO almost anything that does not resist it.

**Haze**: Although it can threaten a majority of them, Haze users can still pose a major threat to Girafarig if it has been crippled. Omastar, Blastoise, and Qwilfish are notable examples, although they all have to watch out for Thunder.

[CREDITS]
- Written by: [[BreakthrU89, 487308]]
- Quality checked by: [[Earthworm, 15210], [Diophantine, 370164]]
- Grammar checked by: [[CryoGyro, 331519], [Muk, 33374]]

Last edited by a moderator:
[OVERVIEW]

Girafarig holds its niche in UU mainly as a Baton Passer that can hit in return with a respectable 90 base Special Attack.
I don't like the phrase "in return" here. Instead of "hit in return" you could say something like "threaten Hazers, phazers, and status inducers".
It stands out amongst the Baton Passers as the only Pokemon to be able to pass an Amnesia boost to a fellow teammate in the entire game,
Smeargle is also able to do this. So you can either say "in GSC UU" or "one of the only Pokemon".

I think you also want to emphasise that Girafarig is easily the best Agility passer in GSC UU here, which is more important than its ability to pass Amnesia.

[SET]
Name: Baton Pass
Move 1: Baton Pass
Move 2: Agility
Move 3: Amnesia
Move 4: Psychic/Thunder
Please remove the capital letters from "Move" and "Name". Need to add "item:" as well, which should be Miracle Berry / Leftovers.
Amnesia is not mandatory and can be swapped for coverage (i.e. Amnesia / Psychic).

[SET COMMENTS]
Set Description
===========
The idea of this set is to pass either Speed or Special Defense for a teammate to sweep. Agility is probably the best it can pass, as you can pass a Speed boost to a sweeper on your team, and have them go off.
I would suggest saying that once a sweeper receives Speed boosts from Girafarig, very little will be able to outspeed them.
You can also pass an Amnesia boost in order to let a teammate have more bulk and thus improve their walling capabilities.
Improving "walling capabilities" doesn't sound like what you would want to achieve by spending the turns and health setting up Amnesia + Baton Pass. What you want to improve is the ability to take special hits while setting up for a sweep.
The last move slot can be whatever benefits your team.
I don't think this is a useful sentence. It is more accurately used to deter Hazers, phazers and status inducers.
Psychic is usually preferred due to it not being walled out by Nidoqueen, and having high odds to 2HKO her. Thunder is still a worthwhile option due to the high amount of Flying and Water types in the tier, although beware of Ground-types if running Thunder.
It probably isn't advisable to recommend Thunder by itself at all due to phazer Piloswine and the occasional Roar Nidoqueen. I would say that if you run Thunder (targetting Slowbro, phazer Gyarados, and threatening opposing Psychic-types) then you will want to drop Amnesia for Psychic. But if others disagree, then maybe you can keep this warning to beware of Ground-types.

Team Options
============
Quagsire makes for a good teammate for Girafarig, as it greatly benefits off an Amnesia boost since it allows Quagsire to set up and power through things more efficiently.
The Speed boosts are far more relevant.
Additionally, Poliwrath also gets the same benefits of being able to set up more efficiently and putting an opposing Pokemon to sleep. As expected, Politoed also gets these benefits, while having a higher Special Defense.
It should be mentioned that these three are Belly Drum users, which obviously synergises with speed passing.
Pinsir also gets a lot from an Amnesia or an Agility boost, as it usually struggles with special attackers, and Girafarig can 2HKO Pinsir’s checks and counters, while Pinsir can abuse the stat boosts to sweep the opposing team.
Pinsir is a lot shakier than the other receivers because it can be more easily hazed against due to missing a lot of OHKOes. I would also mention Grass-types like Bellossom and Vileplume as potential receivers that do well with boosts if they have Swords Dance, though they suffer from similar problems (not being able to stop Hazers like Qwilfish and Crobat unless they run Sleep Powder, which takes up a valuable coverage/healing moveslot).

Explosion users and other Baton Pass users (Mr. Mime) also make for good support. Explosion users like Electrode and Haunter are great for taking down or weakening big threats like Granbull, Nidoqueen, etc. They can also provide Thief or Screen support. If Electrode blows up against Nidoqueen and Girafarig, Nidoqueen is in a very awkward position because it is in range of Psychic from Girafarig, which can potentially buy you a free setup turn, for example.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
============
You can always run Curse instead of Amnesia or Agility to pass a Physical boost to an offensive teammate that does not care about Speed, which can help in the long run. You can also run Earthquake over Psychic and Thunder to be able to hit Electric-types.
Delete this please, OO goes after all sets and Earthquake definitely doesn't belong on this set.

[SET]
Name: Offensive
Move 1: Thunder
Move 2: Earthquake/Thief
Move 3: Psychic
Move 4: Return

[SET COMMENTS]
Set Description
============
This set aims to work as a mixed offensive threat. Despite Girafarig’s only decent offensive stats, this set still hits fairly hard and is capable of 2HKO-ing notable members of the UU metagame, such as Nidoqueen, Scyther, and Qwilfish. Psychic and Thunder will be your stronger options, as they hit more of the metagame as compared to your other options. Return is used as a strong Normal STAB option that can leave a dent in some opposing team members. The last move is really up to your choice. Thief allows you to take the opponent's item, which could work brilliantly in the long game, and Earthquake’s ability to hit a lot of things for good damage, and provides coverage for pesky Electrics, mainly Electabuzz.

Team Options
============
This set pairs well with Qwilfish, as Spikes are a good support option most of the time, and can even fend off Nidoqueen, the queen of the tier. Nidoqueen itself is also a good teammate, due to its good coverage, along with good support options such as Lovely Kiss, which enables it to sweep even more. Haunter is also a good teammate, having the same Psychic-Electric coverage, while also being utilizable as a Sleep setter.
In my opinion this set is probably too unproven to be worth including on the analysis. I am not convinced that Girafarig is better than the other Psychic-types as an attacker despite its access to STAB Normal-type attacks and Earthquake. Not flat out saying it's unviable but I would need to actually see it used before I could support its inclusion.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
============
Girafarig has an efficient movepool, so many things can work. You can run Hidden Power Fire to deal with the pesky bugs that hurt Girafarig with their super effective STAB. Crunch is also an efficient option, as it offers more raw power than Thief.
I'd get rid of what's currently here and put in the stuff from the second set and the OO section from earlier.

Checks and Counters
============
**Physical Attackers**: Girafarig’s mediocre defenses leave it open to physical threats overcoming it. Granbull can eat up a Psychic while hitting back hard with Return. Quagsire and Piloswine are both able to Curse, and Earthquake Girafarig, with Piloswine even being able to Roar away its Agility boosts.
Probably should mention Bug-types in here.

**Magneton**: Magneton is able to resist most hits Girafarig uses and can hit back hard with STAB Thunder. Just watch out for Earthquake, for that will pose a major threat, but if the Girafarig isn’t carrying that, you should be good.
Magneton just gets BPed on into Quagsire. I'm not sure if it's even worth mentioning here. I suppose you can mention Reflect and Hidden Power Grass variants.

**Other Psychics**: Hypno is easily able to tank a hit from Girafarig, and paralyze it in return. Slowking and Slowbro can also tank a hit well, and hit it back hard with Surf, with Mr. Mime doing the same, instead using Thunder.
Again, the focus is too much on taking attacks and not on how these Pokemon can deal with Girafarig and its ability to use Baton Pass to a variety of recipients. Also, you need to say "Psychic-types" when referring to a Pokemon that is Psychic-type.

This was a pretty rushed "check", just trying to push this in the right direction before I check it again later.

Last edited:

BT89

go on, take everything
is a Pre-Contributor
I don't like the phrase "in return" here. Instead of "hit in return" you could say something like "threaten Hazers, phazers, and status inducers". Smeargle is also able to do this. So you can either say "in GSC UU" or "one of the only Pokemon".

I think you also want to emphasise that Girafarig is easily the best Agility passer in GSC UU here, which is more important than its ability to pass Amnesia.

Please remove the capital letters from "Move" and "Name". Need to add "item:" as well, which should be Miracle Berry / Leftovers.
Amnesia is not mandatory and can be swapped for coverage (i.e. Amnesia / Psychic).

I would suggest saying that once a sweeper receives Speed boosts from Girafarig, very little will be able to outspeed them. Improving "walling capabilities" doesn't sound like what you would want to achieve by spending the turns and health setting up Amnesia + Baton Pass. What you want to improve is the ability to take special hits while setting up for a sweep. I don't think this is a useful sentence. It is more accurately used to deter Hazers, phazers and status inducers. It probably isn't advisable to recommend Thunder by itself at all due to phazer Piloswine and the occasional Roar Nidoqueen. I would say that if you run Thunder (targetting Slowbro, phazer Gyarados, and threatening opposing Psychic-types) then you will want to drop Amnesia for Psychic. But if others disagree, then maybe you can keep this warning to beware of Ground-types.

The Speed boosts are far more relevant.
It should be mentioned that these three are Belly Drum users, which obviously synergises with speed passing.
Pinsir is a lot shakier than the other receivers because it can be more easily hazed against due to missing a lot of OHKOes. I would also mention Grass-types like Bellossom and Vileplume as potential receivers that do well with boosts if they have Swords Dance, though they suffer from similar problems (not being able to stop Hazers like Qwilfish and Crobat unless they run Sleep Powder, which takes up a valuable coverage/healing moveslot).

Explosion users and other Baton Pass users (Mr. Mime) also make for good support. Explosion users like Electrode and Haunter are great for taking down or weakening big threats like Granbull, Nidoqueen, etc. They can also provide Thief or Screen support. If Electrode blows up against Nidoqueen and Girafarig, Nidoqueen is in a very awkward position because it is in range of Psychic from Girafarig, which can potentially buy you a free setup turn, for example.

Delete this please, OO goes after all sets and Earthquake definitely doesn't belong on this set.

In my opinion this set is probably too unproven to be worth including on the analysis. I am not convinced that Girafarig is better than the other Psychic-types as an attacker despite its access to STAB Normal-type attacks and Earthquake. Not flat out saying it's unviable but I would need to actually see it used before I could support its inclusion.

I'd get rid of what's currently here and put in the stuff from the second set and the OO section from earlier.

Probably should mention Bug-types in here.

Magneton just gets BPed on into Quagsire. I'm not sure if it's even worth mentioning here. I suppose you can mention Reflect and Hidden Power Grass variants.

Again, the focus is too much on taking attacks and not on how these Pokemon can deal with Girafarig and its ability to use Baton Pass to a variety of recipients. Also, you need to say "Psychic-types" when referring to a Pokemon that is Psychic-type.

This was a pretty rushed "check", just trying to push this in the right direction before I check it again later.
I have implemented this.

Century Express

melodies of life
is a Tutoris a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
World Defender
Yes, the Offensive moveset belongs to OO. It looks promising in the paper, but we don't have enough sample replays in important games showcasing its effectiveness - we should stick with the tried-and-true Baton Pass set for now.

BT89

go on, take everything
is a Pre-Contributor
Century Express Diophantine Jorgen

Do you agree that the second set belongs in OO rather than as a set on the analysis?
Yes. I'll give a proper QC when I get some time later.
Yes, the Offensive moveset belongs to OO. It looks promising in the paper, but we don't have enough sample replays in important games showcasing its effectiveness - we should stick with the tried-and-true Baton Pass set for now.
When I get the chance to, I will put the Offensive set in OO. I just thought it seemed neat on paper, like what Century Express said, but I see now that there is a lack of evidence proving this. This post is just me agreeing with what everyone is saying to be honest, but I’m implementing it sooner or later, most likely sooner.

Update: I have implemented it

Last edited:
[OVERVIEW]
...But you have to use it with care, as Girafarig is fairly frail itself, which leaves it susceptible to hard-hitting Pokemon, such as Piloswine and Granbull, and struggles with breaking through walls, mainly Hypno. Its typing is also lackluster, giving it less defensive utility overall.
Girafarig's job isn't really to break through walls. I would remove that last part of that sentence. I would also remove the bit about its typing; in the context of the GSC UU metagame, its typing is perfectly fine.

In the overview, I would also mention how its Special Attack and solid attacking movepool make it a credible threat that can force Pokemon that are weak to its attacks (like Nidoqueen) to retreat, which can buy a turn to set up boosts.

[SET]
move 3: Amnesia/Psychic
move 4: Psychic/Thunder
item: Leftovers/Miracle Berry
Spaces on either side of the slashes please!

[SET COMMENTS]
Set Description
===========
The idea of this set is to pass either Speed or Special Defense for a teammate to sweep. Agility is probably the best it can pass, since once a sweeper receives Speed boosts from Girafarig, very little will be able to outspeed them. You can also pass an Amnesia boost in order to let a teammate improve their ability to take special hits while setting up for a sweep. The last move slot should be able to deter hazers, phasers, and status conditions. Psychic is usually preferred due to it not being walled out by Nidoqueen, and having high odds to 2HKO her. Thunder is still a worthwhile option due to the high amount of Flying and Water types in the tier, although beware of Ground-types if running Thunder.
Firstly, the writing here should be more assertive. Agility is the best in most situations, rather than probably the best. Also, best to leave open the possibility of passing both boosts. In my opinion, it would be a good idea to present examples of typical recipients here (even though there will be some minor overlap with the team options section). Technically you are deterring status inducers rather than the conditions. Psychic is the strongest and most consistent option against many Haze users as well as Nidoqueen. Psychic also hits Piloswine, one of the most common phazers in the tier, although Thunder hits Gyarados, another somewhat common phazer.

Team Options
============
Quagsire makes for a good teammate for Girafarig, as it greatly benefits off of a speed boost since it allows Quagsire to set up and power through things more efficiently. Additionally, Poliwrath also gets the same benefits of being able to set up more efficiently with and putting an opposing Pokemon to sleep. As expected, Politoed also gets these benefits, while having a higher Special Defense.
More information would be good here. Quagsire is not just a good teammate, it is the best because it has a STAB EQ alongside Belly Drum which allows it to outdamage any other recipients, plus it only has one weakness and is naturally bulky. However, if the opponent has a Pokemon out that will be able to take down Quagsire before it can set up or remove boosts with Haze, prevent setup by using Encore, etc, then you typically want to send out your sleeper. Poliwrath has a higher base Attack, so if it needs to attack at +0 or +2, it will deal more damage than Politoed. Otherwise, Politoed lacks the Flying and Psychic weaknesses and has higher Special Defense.
Other Baton Pass users such as Mr. Mime can also work well as teammates due to them being able to pass additional boosts.
It's worth mentioning Mr. Mime's access to Encore, Thunder Wave, and Substitute as well as Barrier and Baton Pass. It's easily one of the best supporting Pokemon on a Baton Pass team.

You can also mention Flareon here. It can pass Growth to Pokemon like Pikachu.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
============
Girafarig has an efficient movepool, so many things can work.
I don't think efficient is a good word here, you can say "wide and useful" instead.
You can also run Curse instead of Amnesia or Agility to pass a Physical boost to an offensive teammate that does not care about Speed, which can help in the long run.
I don't think Girafarig is likely to be effective passing Curse alone. It would have to be Curse + Agility to be worthwhile.
Girafarig also has many options for an offensive move slot. You can run Earthquake over Psychic or Thunder to be able to deal with opposing Electrics that may otherwise halt the Pokemon you are passing to. Thief is also an efficient option, as it allows you to take an opponent’s Leftovers, which can benefit many teams greatly. Crunch is also a decent option, hitting opposing Psychic types, albeit not having the great property of stealing Leftovers. You can also run Hidden Power Fire to deal with Bug-type threats such as Scyther and Pinsir that are capable of doing great amounts of damage to Girafarig with their super effective STAB.
I would probably list these options as an all-out attacking option rather than in the context of using Baton Pass. I would again avoid the word efficient when describing Thief. I don't think it's necessary to compare the power of Thief with Crunch, it should be obvious that Thief does not do much damage already. I would mention that Thief is good for significantly reducing the effectiveness of tanks like Hypno that can wall Girafarig and other Psychic-types. I would not mention Hidden Power Fire at all.

Checks and Counters
============
**Physical Attackers**: Girafarig’s mediocre defenses leave it open to physical threats overcoming it. Granbull can eat up a Psychic while hitting back hard with Return. Quagsire and Piloswine are both able to Curse, and Earthquake Girafarig, with Piloswine even being able to Roar away its Agility boosts. Girafarig is also vulnerable to Bug types. Scyther and Pinsir are able to set up with Swords Dance and kill it with their Hidden Power Bug.
Granbull should be mentioned as a Curse user primarily, and it would be a good idea to mention that Curse RestTalk Granbull can typically beat any common recipient of boosts from Girafarig, making it a particularly effective counter. Pokemon are not killed, they are knocked out. I would rephrase the part about Bug-types to say that they can 2HKO with Hidden Power Bug. You can also mention that Girafarig doesn't have access to Barrier as another reason physical attackers do well against it rather than special attackers.

**Magneton**: Hidden Power Grass variants of Magneton are able to resist most hits Girafarig uses and can hit back hard with STAB Thunder. Just watch out for Earthquake, for that will pose a major threat, but if the Girafarig isn’t carrying that, you should be good.
This doesn't mention the reason for Hidden Power Grass Magneton at all.

**Other Psychic-types**: Hypno is easily able to tank a hit from Girafarig, and paralyze it in return. Slowking and Slowbro can also tank a hit well, and hit it back hard with Surf. Mr. Mime is able to do the same, instead using Thunder.
These are all very mediocre checks to Baton Pass Girafarig. I would mention Curse RestTalk Hypno as a way to potentially deal with Baton Pass to physical attackers, as well as Encore Mr. Mime. I don't think the others are really worth mentioning.

I would also mention Jumpluff here, it's pretty annoying for Baton Pass teams to deal with unless they have Miracle Berry Poliwrath / Politoed.

I would mention Explosion users and other Haze / Roar users (Omastar, Blastoise, Gyarados, Qwilfish) as ways to deal with Girafarig once it has been crippled or as an emergency method.

BT89

go on, take everything
is a Pre-Contributor
Girafarig's job isn't really to break through walls. I would remove that last part of that sentence. I would also remove the bit about its typing; in the context of the GSC UU metagame, its typing is perfectly fine.

In the overview, I would also mention how its Special Attack and solid attacking movepool make it a credible threat that can force Pokemon that are weak to its attacks (like Nidoqueen) to retreat, which can buy a turn to set up boosts.

Spaces on either side of the slashes please!

Firstly, the writing here should be more assertive. Agility is the best in most situations, rather than probably the best. Also, best to leave open the possibility of passing both boosts. In my opinion, it would be a good idea to present examples of typical recipients here (even though there will be some minor overlap with the team options section). Technically you are deterring status inducers rather than the conditions. Psychic is the strongest and most consistent option against many Haze users as well as Nidoqueen. Psychic also hits Piloswine, one of the most common phazers in the tier, although Thunder hits Gyarados, another somewhat common phazer.

More information would be good here. Quagsire is not just a good teammate, it is the best because it has a STAB EQ alongside Belly Drum which allows it to outdamage any other recipients, plus it only has one weakness and is naturally bulky. However, if the opponent has a Pokemon out that will be able to take down Quagsire before it can set up or remove boosts with Haze, prevent setup by using Encore, etc, then you typically want to send out your sleeper. Poliwrath has a higher base Attack, so if it needs to attack at +0 or +2, it will deal more damage than Politoed. Otherwise, Politoed lacks the Flying and Psychic weaknesses and has higher Special Defense. It's worth mentioning Mr. Mime's access to Encore, Thunder Wave, and Substitute as well as Barrier and Baton Pass. It's easily one of the best supporting Pokemon on a Baton Pass team.

You can also mention Flareon here. It can pass Growth to Pokemon like Pikachu.

I don't think efficient is a good word here, you can say "wide and useful" instead. I don't think Girafarig is likely to be effective passing Curse alone. It would have to be Curse + Agility to be worthwhile. I would probably list these options as an all-out attacking option rather than in the context of using Baton Pass. I would again avoid the word efficient when describing Thief. I don't think it's necessary to compare the power of Thief with Crunch, it should be obvious that Thief does not do much damage already. I would mention that Thief is good for significantly reducing the effectiveness of tanks like Hypno that can wall Girafarig and other Psychic-types. I would not mention Hidden Power Fire at all.

Granbull should be mentioned as a Curse user primarily, and it would be a good idea to mention that Curse RestTalk Granbull can typically beat any common recipient of boosts from Girafarig, making it a particularly effective counter. Pokemon are not killed, they are knocked out. I would rephrase the part about Bug-types to say that they can 2HKO with Hidden Power Bug. You can also mention that Girafarig doesn't have access to Barrier as another reason physical attackers do well against it rather than special attackers.

This doesn't mention the reason for Hidden Power Grass Magneton at all.

These are all very mediocre checks to Baton Pass Girafarig. I would mention Curse RestTalk Hypno as a way to potentially deal with Baton Pass to physical attackers, as well as Encore Mr. Mime. I don't think the others are really worth mentioning.

I would also mention Jumpluff here, it's pretty annoying for Baton Pass teams to deal with unless they have Miracle Berry Poliwrath / Politoed.

I would mention Explosion users and other Haze / Roar users (Omastar, Blastoise, Gyarados, Qwilfish) as ways to deal with Girafarig once it has been crippled or as an emergency method.
I’ll put this in as soon as I can.

Update; It’s been implemented.

Last edited:

Diophantine

Banned deucer.
It has to be careful in what it switches into however, since some foes such as Electabuzz may have the deadly Hidden Power Grass.
Optional removal, just because HP Grass is very rare, if even seen at all. Even then, Quagsire outspeeds Electabuzz. Besides, this seems more like a Quagsire deterrent than a Girafarig deterrent, as Girafarig can pass to other things.

Poliwrath is another common choice for a Speed boost recipient, as it has access to the combination of Lovely Kiss and Belly Drum, which allows it to better deal with Hazers, phazers, and status inducers that may have switched in as Girafarig used Baton Pass. Politoed also gets these benefits while having a higher Special Defense and no weakness to Psychic- and Flying-type attacks. It has a lower Defense and lower base Attack than Poliwrath, but reaches close to 999 Attack at +6 despite this.
Poliwhirl too! Its speed tier is important.

Curse can be used instead of Amnesia on the Baton Pass set to pass a boost to a physically oriented teammate, which could be helpful to teammates that prefer coverage or recovery moves over moveslots dedicated to setup.
Mention the speed drop may not always be ideal on BP teams, especially when you can pass Attack/Defence in other ways.

Girafarig can also run a mixed attacker offensive set with its other coverage options, such as Earthquake, which can nail Magneton unexpectedly and deal more damage to Electric-types in general.
You should add a brief note that explains why this isn't that great.

Crunch is also a decent option to hit opposing Psychic-types harder, which can force them to switch to a foe less adept at handling a special attacker.
Arguably you're fine with Thunder anyway, since Crunch doesn't do much to Hypno anyway and you get a good paralysis chance on Kadabra/Mr Mime.

**Magneton**: Magneton resists Girafarig's standard coverage attacks and can hit back hard with STAB Thunder. Hidden Power Grass variants can also threaten Quagsire, one of the most common recipients of Girafarig's boosts. However, Girafarig may be running Earthquake on rare occasions, so Magneton should exercise some caution.
Thanks to Girafarig's speed you can bypass this by passing into a Ground (or Grass, even) type.

Curse RestTalk Hypno is easily able to tank hits from Girafarig as it sets up Curse boosts, the Defense boosts from which could nullify an attempted Belly Drum sweep.
I'd say Hypno in general, as even non-Curse sets can set up a Reflect or Twave.

Good stuff otherwise. QC 2/2 when these changes are made.

BT89

go on, take everything
is a Pre-Contributor
Optional removal, just because HP Grass is very rare, if even seen at all. Even then, Quagsire outspeeds Electabuzz. Besides, this seems more like a Quagsire deterrent than a Girafarig deterrent, as Girafarig can pass to other things.

Poliwhirl too! Its speed tier is important.

Mention the speed drop may not always be ideal on BP teams, especially when you can pass Attack/Defence in other ways.

You should add a brief note that explains why this isn't that great.

Arguably you're fine with Thunder anyway, since Crunch doesn't do much to Hypno anyway and you get a good paralysis chance on Kadabra/Mr Mime.

Thanks to Girafarig's speed you can bypass this by passing into a Ground (or Grass, even) type.

I'd say Hypno in general, as even non-Curse sets can set up a Reflect or Twave.

Good stuff otherwise. QC 2/2 when these changes are made.
Implemented! Thanks!

GP 1/2
[OVERVIEW]

Girafarig holds its niche in UU mainly as a Baton Passer Pass user that can threaten Hazers Haze users, phazers, and status inducers with a its respectable 90 base Special Attack. Because of this solid Special Attack, along with a solid With its solid Special Attack and offensive movepool, it can also force Pokemon weak to its moves to retreat, which in turn allows for more turn to set up creating more setup opportunities. It stands out amongst the Baton Passers as one of the only Pokemon to be among Baton Pass users as the only one able to pass an Amnesia boosts, which allows it to be decent as a makes it a decent support Pokemon that can give its teammates a bulk or speed boost and have them set up and sweep setup sweeper teammates a boost in bulk or Speed. But it has to be used with care, as Girafarig is fairly frail itself, which Girafarig has to be used with care, however, as its frailty leaves it susceptible to hard-hitting Pokemon, (comma) such as Piloswine and Granbull.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Set Description
===========
The idea of this set is to pass This set passes Speed and Special Defense boosts for a teammate to sweep. Agility is the best thing it can pass, since once a sweeper receives Speed boosts from Girafarig, very little will be able to outspeed them very few Pokemon can outspeed +2 sweepers. It can also pass an Amnesia boost in order to let a teammate improve their ability to take special hits while setting up for a sweep so teammates can set up on special attackers; for example, +2 Special Defense Belly Drum Quagsire can set up with Belly Drum in the face of an opposing on Slowking, which fails to do more than 50% with two Surfs uses of Surf. The last move slot should be able to deter Hazers Haze users, phazers, and status inducers. Psychic is usually preferred due to it having high odds to 2HKO Nidoqueen, (comma) as well as being its most consistent option to deter Hazers and phazers such as and consistently deterring phazers such as Piloswine. Thunder is still a worthwhile option due to the high number of Flying- and Water-types in the tier, as well as the ability to hit phazers such as including phazer Gyarados, although beware of Ground-types if running Thunder are threatening without Psychic. Dropping Amnesia to maximize coverage against phazers is also a valid option.

Team Options
============
Quagsire makes for a great teammate for Girafarig, as Speed boosts allow Quagsire to set up and power through things more efficiently with its deadly combination of Belly Drum and STAB Earthquake. Additionally, it lacks ways to effectively deal with Hazers Haze users and phazers effectively prior to setting up. Poliwrath is another common choice for a Speed boost recipient, as it has access to the combination of Lovely Kiss + and Belly Drum, which allows it to better deal with Hazers Haze users, phazers, and status inducers that may might have switched in as Girafarig used Baton Pass. Politoed also gets these benefits while having a higher Special Defense and no weakness to Psychic- and Flying-type attacks. It has a lower Defense and lower base lower Defense and Attack than Poliwrath, but still reaches close to 999 Attack at +6 despite this. Poliwhirl can also work as an efficient recipient a Belly Drum sweeper due to its better Speed tier as well as being able to use Belly Drum. Swords Dance Bellossom and Vileplume can use the passed boosts they receive to be able to set up more reliably with Swords Dance, although they struggle against Hazers Haze users due to them usually having to sacrifice a moveslot to Sleep Powder to stop them. Pikachu makes for a solid receiver, since with a Growth passer such as Flareon, it can become an immensely strong threat. Exploders Explosion users such as Electrode and Haunter are great for taking down big threats, such as Granbull and Nidoqueen, while also providing screens and Thief support. Mr. Mime offers Baton Pass for keeping momentum and amazing utility with moves such as Encore, Thunder Wave, and Barrier, as well as keeping momentum with Baton Pass.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
============
Girafarig has a fairly wide and useful movepool, so many things can work. Curse can be used instead of Amnesia on the Baton Pass set to pass a boost to a physically oriented teammate, which could be helpful to teammates that prefer coverage or recovery moves over moveslots dedicated to setup boost physically oriented teammates using coverage or recovery moves over setup. However, the Speed drop is usually less than ideal, and Girafarig has other ways of passing Attack and Defense boosts. Girafarig can also run a mixed attacker offensive set with its other coverage options, such as Earthquake, which can nail Magneton unexpectedly and deal more damage to Electric-types in general. However, Girafarig is generally better at Baton Passing. Thief is a solid option on such a set, as it allows you to take Leftovers from bulkier foes such as Hypno that struggle to stay healthy without it hinders bulky, Leftovers-reliant foes such as Hypno.

Checks and Counters
============
**Physical Attackers**: Girafarig’s mediocre defenses, as well as a lack of Barrier, defenses and lack of Barrier leave it open to physical threats overcoming it. Curse RestTalk Granbull can eat up a handle Psychic and common Baton Pass recipients while hitting back hard with Return, as well as beating many common recipients of Girafarig's boosts. Quagsire and Piloswine can both hit Girafarig hard with Earthquake and can also use Curse to give Baton Pass recipients difficulty. Piloswine is even able to use Roar away its Agility boosts. Girafarig is also vulnerable to Bug-types. Scyther and Pinsir are able to 2HKO it with Hidden Power Bug.

**Magneton**: Magneton resists Girafarig's standard coverage attacks and can hit back hard with STAB Thunder. Hidden Power Grass variants can also threaten Quagsire, one of the most common recipients of Girafarig's boosts. However, Girafarig can outspeed Magneton and pass into a Ground or Grass type use Baton Pass to bring in a Ground- or Grass-type. Additionally, Girafarig may can run Earthquake on rare occasions, so Magneton should exercise some caution.

**Jumpluff**: Jumpluff is a serious annoyance to Baton Pass chains. Its fast Encore can lock Girafarig into a boosting move, (comma) forcing it to switch out as Jumpluff inflicts status on its team. It Jumpluff can also use Encore as a Speed-boosted recipient attempts to set up for a sweep, foiling even a recipient equipped with Miracle Berry.

**Other Psychic-types**: Hypno is easily able to tank hits from Girafarig as it sets up Curse boosts and set up with Curse, the Defense boosts from which could nullify an attempted Belly Drum sweep. Mr. Mime is able to lock Girafarig or and its recipients into a setup move with Encore.

**Explosion**: Girafarig is severely lacking in methods to deal with Explosion users. It cannot learn Substitute and there are very few Baton Pass users or recipients that resist Normal. Electrode can set up screens for its team before it explodes, since it can take multiple hits from Psychic. Haunter can put Girafarig to sleep before using Explosion, although there is a small chance that Psychic will OHKO Haunter in return if it misses or Girafarig has Miracle Berry. Graveler with Leftovers will almost always survive two hits from Psychic despite its horrid special bulk, and its Explosion will KO almost anything that does not resist it.

**Hazers**: Although it can threaten a majority of them, Hazers Haze users can still pose a major threat to Girafarig if it has been crippled. Omastar, Blastoise, and Qwilfish are notable examples of Hazers that can threaten Girafarig, although they all have to watch out for Thunder.

[CREDITS]
- Quality checked by: [[, ], [, ]]
- Grammar checked by: [[, ], [, ]]

BT89

go on, take everything
is a Pre-Contributor
GP 1/2
[OVERVIEW]

Girafarig holds its niche in UU mainly as a Baton Passer Pass user that can threaten Hazers Haze users, phazers, and status inducers with a its respectable 90 base Special Attack. Because of this solid Special Attack, along with a solid With its solid Special Attack and offensive movepool, it can also force Pokemon weak to its moves to retreat, which in turn allows for more turn to set up creating more setup opportunities. It stands out amongst the Baton Passers as one of the only Pokemon to be among Baton Pass users as the only one able to pass an Amnesia boosts, which allows it to be decent as a makes it a decent support Pokemon that can give its teammates a bulk or speed boost and have them set up and sweep setup sweeper teammates a boost in bulk or Speed. But it has to be used with care, as Girafarig is fairly frail itself, which Girafarig has to be used with care, however, as its frailty leaves it susceptible to hard-hitting Pokemon, (comma) such as Piloswine and Granbull.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Set Description
===========
The idea of this set is to pass This set passes Speed and Special Defense boosts for a teammate to sweep. Agility is the best thing it can pass, since once a sweeper receives Speed boosts from Girafarig, very little will be able to outspeed them very few Pokemon can outspeed +2 sweepers. It can also pass an Amnesia boost in order to let a teammate improve their ability to take special hits while setting up for a sweep so teammates can set up on special attackers; for example, +2 Special Defense Belly Drum Quagsire can set up with Belly Drum in the face of an opposing on Slowking, which fails to do more than 50% with two Surfs uses of Surf. The last move slot should be able to deter Hazers Haze users, phazers, and status inducers. Psychic is usually preferred due to it having high odds to 2HKO Nidoqueen, (comma) as well as being its most consistent option to deter Hazers and phazers such as and consistently deterring phazers such as Piloswine. Thunder is still a worthwhile option due to the high number of Flying- and Water-types in the tier, as well as the ability to hit phazers such as including phazer Gyarados, although beware of Ground-types if running Thunder are threatening without Psychic. Dropping Amnesia to maximize coverage against phazers is also a valid option.

Team Options
============
Quagsire makes for a great teammate for Girafarig, as Speed boosts allow Quagsire to set up and power through things more efficiently with its deadly combination of Belly Drum and STAB Earthquake. Additionally, it lacks ways to effectively deal with Hazers Haze users and phazers effectively prior to setting up. Poliwrath is another common choice for a Speed boost recipient, as it has access to the combination of Lovely Kiss + and Belly Drum, which allows it to better deal with Hazers Haze users, phazers, and status inducers that may might have switched in as Girafarig used Baton Pass. Politoed also gets these benefits while having a higher Special Defense and no weakness to Psychic- and Flying-type attacks. It has a lower Defense and lower base lower Defense and Attack than Poliwrath, but still reaches close to 999 Attack at +6 despite this. Poliwhirl can also work as an efficient recipient a Belly Drum sweeper due to its better Speed tier as well as being able to use Belly Drum. Swords Dance Bellossom and Vileplume can use the passed boosts they receive to be able to set up more reliably with Swords Dance, although they struggle against Hazers Haze users due to them usually having to sacrifice a moveslot to Sleep Powder to stop them. Pikachu makes for a solid receiver, since with a Growth passer such as Flareon, it can become an immensely strong threat. Exploders Explosion users such as Electrode and Haunter are great for taking down big threats, such as Granbull and Nidoqueen, while also providing screens and Thief support. Mr. Mime offers Baton Pass for keeping momentum and amazing utility with moves such as Encore, Thunder Wave, and Barrier, as well as keeping momentum with Baton Pass.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
============
Girafarig has a fairly wide and useful movepool, so many things can work. Curse can be used instead of Amnesia on the Baton Pass set to pass a boost to a physically oriented teammate, which could be helpful to teammates that prefer coverage or recovery moves over moveslots dedicated to setup boost physically oriented teammates using coverage or recovery moves over setup. However, the Speed drop is usually less than ideal, and Girafarig has other ways of passing Attack and Defense boosts. Girafarig can also run a mixed attacker offensive set with its other coverage options, such as Earthquake, which can nail Magneton unexpectedly and deal more damage to Electric-types in general. However, Girafarig is generally better at Baton Passing. Thief is a solid option on such a set, as it allows you to take Leftovers from bulkier foes such as Hypno that struggle to stay healthy without it hinders bulky, Leftovers-reliant foes such as Hypno.

Checks and Counters
============
**Physical Attackers**: Girafarig’s mediocre defenses, as well as a lack of Barrier, defenses and lack of Barrier leave it open to physical threats overcoming it. Curse RestTalk Granbull can eat up a handle Psychic and common Baton Pass recipients while hitting back hard with Return, as well as beating many common recipients of Girafarig's boosts. Quagsire and Piloswine can both hit Girafarig hard with Earthquake and can also use Curse to give Baton Pass recipients difficulty. Piloswine is even able to use Roar away its Agility boosts. Girafarig is also vulnerable to Bug-types. Scyther and Pinsir are able to 2HKO it with Hidden Power Bug.

**Magneton**: Magneton resists Girafarig's standard coverage attacks and can hit back hard with STAB Thunder. Hidden Power Grass variants can also threaten Quagsire, one of the most common recipients of Girafarig's boosts. However, Girafarig can outspeed Magneton and pass into a Ground or Grass type use Baton Pass to bring in a Ground- or Grass-type. Additionally, Girafarig may can run Earthquake on rare occasions, so Magneton should exercise some caution.

**Jumpluff**: Jumpluff is a serious annoyance to Baton Pass chains. Its fast Encore can lock Girafarig into a boosting move, (comma) forcing it to switch out as Jumpluff inflicts status on its team. It Jumpluff can also use Encore as a Speed-boosted recipient attempts to set up for a sweep, foiling even a recipient equipped with Miracle Berry.

**Other Psychic-types**: Hypno is easily able to tank hits from Girafarig as it sets up Curse boosts and set up with Curse, the Defense boosts from which could nullify an attempted Belly Drum sweep. Mr. Mime is able to lock Girafarig or and its recipients into a setup move with Encore.

**Explosion**: Girafarig is severely lacking in methods to deal with Explosion users. It cannot learn Substitute and there are very few Baton Pass users or recipients that resist Normal. Electrode can set up screens for its team before it explodes, since it can take multiple hits from Psychic. Haunter can put Girafarig to sleep before using Explosion, although there is a small chance that Psychic will OHKO Haunter in return if it misses or Girafarig has Miracle Berry. Graveler with Leftovers will almost always survive two hits from Psychic despite its horrid special bulk, and its Explosion will KO almost anything that does not resist it.

**Hazers**: Although it can threaten a majority of them, Hazers Haze users can still pose a major threat to Girafarig if it has been crippled. Omastar, Blastoise, and Qwilfish are notable examples of Hazers that can threaten Girafarig, although they all have to watch out for Thunder.

[CREDITS]
- Quality checked by: [[, ], [, ]]
- Grammar checked by: [[, ], [, ]]
Implemented, thanks!

Changes in bold, GP 2/2
[OVERVIEW]

Girafarig holds its niche in UU mainly as a Baton Pass user that can threaten Haze users, phazers, and status inducers with its respectable base 90 Special Attack. With its solid Special Attack and offensive movepool, it can also force Pokemon weak to its moves to retreat, creating more setup opportunities. It stands out among Baton Pass users as the only one able to pass Amnesia boosts, which makes it a decent support Pokemon that can give its setup sweeper teammates a boost in bulk or Speed. Girafarig has to be used with care, however, as its frailty leaves it susceptible to hard-hitting Pokemon, such as Piloswine and Granbull.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Set Description
===========
This set passes Speed and Special Defense boosts for a teammate to sweep. Agility is the best thing it can pass, since very few Pokemon can outspeed +2 sweepers. It can also pass an Amnesia boost so teammates can set up on special attackers; for example, +2 Special Defense Belly Drum Quagsire can set up on Slowking, which fails to do more than 50% with two uses of Surf. The last moveslot should be able to deter Haze users, phazers, and status inducers. Psychic is usually preferred due to it having high odds to 2HKO Nidoqueen, (RC) and consistently deterring phazers such as Piloswine. Thunder is a worthwhile option due to the high number of Flying- and Water-types in the tier, including phazer Gyarados, although Ground-types are threatening if Girafarig forgoes Psychic. Dropping Amnesia to maximize coverage against phazers is a valid option.

Team Options
============
Quagsire makes for a great teammate, as Speed boosts allow Quagsire to power through things more efficiently with its deadly combination of Belly Drum and STAB Earthquake. Additionally, it lacks ways to effectively deal with Haze users and phazers prior to setting up. Poliwrath is another common choice for a Speed boost recipient, as it has Lovely Kiss + Belly Drum, which allows it to better deal with Haze users, phazers, and status inducers that might have switched in as Girafarig used Baton Pass. Politoed also gets these benefits while having higher Special Defense and no weakness to Psychic- and Flying-type attacks. It has lower Defense and Attack than Poliwrath, but still reaches close to 999 Attack at +6. Poliwhirl can also work as a Belly Drum sweeper due to its better Speed tier. Swords Dance Bellossom and Vileplume can use passed boosts to set up more reliably, although they struggle against Haze users due to them usually having to sacrifice as they usually dedicate a moveslot to Sleep Powder to stop them. Pikachu makes for a solid receiver, since with a Growth passer such as Flareon, it can become an immensely strong threat. Explosion users such as Electrode and Haunter are great for taking down big threats, such as Granbull and Nidoqueen, while also providing screens and Thief support. Mr. Mime offers Baton Pass for keeping momentum, as well as amazing utility with moves such as Encore, Thunder Wave, and Barrier.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
============
Girafarig has a fairly wide and useful movepool, so many things can work. Curse can be used instead of Amnesia to boost physically oriented teammates using coverage or recovery moves over setup. However, the Speed drop is usually a hindrance, and Girafarig has other ways of passing Attack and Defense boosts. Girafarig can also run a mixed attacker offensive set with its other coverage options, such as Earthquake, which can nail Magneton unexpectedly and deal more damage to Electric-types in general. Thief is a solid option on such a set, as it hinders bulky, Leftovers-reliant foes such as Hypno.

Checks and Counters
============
**Physical Attackers**: Girafarig’s mediocre defenses and lack of Barrier leave it open to physical threats overcoming it. Curse + RestTalk Granbull can handle Psychic and common Baton Pass recipients while hitting back hard with Return. Quagsire and Piloswine can hit Girafarig hard with Earthquake and use Curse to give Baton Pass recipients difficulty. Piloswine is even able to use Roar. Girafarig is also vulnerable to Bug-types; (semicolon) Scyther and Pinsir are able to 2HKO it with Hidden Power Bug.

**Magneton**: Magneton resists Girafarig's standard coverage and can hit back hard with STAB Thunder. Hidden Power Grass variants can also threaten Quagsire, one of the most common recipients of Girafarig's boosts. However, Girafarig can outspeed Magneton and use Baton Pass to bring in a Ground- or Grass-type. Additionally, Girafarig can run Earthquake on rare occasions, so Magneton should exercise some caution.

**Jumpluff**: Jumpluff is a serious annoyance to Baton Pass chains. Its fast Encore can lock Girafarig into a boosting move, (comma) (don't remove the comma, just the word 'comma') forcing it out as Jumpluff inflicts status on its team. Jumpluff can also use Encore as a Speed-boosted recipient attempts to set up for a sweep, foiling even a recipient equipped with Miracle Berry.

**Other Psychic-types**: Hypno is easily able to tank hits from Girafarig and set up with Curse, the Defense boosts from which could nullify an attempted Belly Drum sweep. Mr. Mime is able to lock Girafarig and its recipients into a setup move with Encore.

**Explosion**: Girafarig is severely lacking in methods to deal with Explosion users. It cannot learn Substitute and there are very few Baton Pass users or recipients that resist Normal-type moves. Electrode can set up screens for its team before it explodes, since it can take multiple hits from Psychic. Haunter can put Girafarig to sleep before using Explosion, although there is a small chance that Psychic will OHKO Haunter if Hypnosis misses or Girafarig has Miracle Berry. Graveler with Leftovers will almost always survive two hits from Psychic despite its horrid special bulk, and its Explosion will KO almost anything that does not resist it.

**Haze**: Although it can threaten a majority of them, Haze users can still pose a major threat to Girafarig if it has been crippled. Omastar, Blastoise, and Qwilfish are notable examples, although they all have to watch out for Thunder.

[CREDITS]
- Grammar checked by: [[CryoGyro, 331519], [, ]]

BT89

go on, take everything
is a Pre-Contributor
Changes in bold, GP 2/2
[OVERVIEW]

Girafarig holds its niche in UU mainly as a Baton Pass user that can threaten Haze users, phazers, and status inducers with its respectable base 90 Special Attack. With its solid Special Attack and offensive movepool, it can also force Pokemon weak to its moves to retreat, creating more setup opportunities. It stands out among Baton Pass users as the only one able to pass Amnesia boosts, which makes it a decent support Pokemon that can give its setup sweeper teammates a boost in bulk or Speed. Girafarig has to be used with care, however, as its frailty leaves it susceptible to hard-hitting Pokemon, such as Piloswine and Granbull.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Set Description
===========
This set passes Speed and Special Defense boosts for a teammate to sweep. Agility is the best thing it can pass, since very few Pokemon can outspeed +2 sweepers. It can also pass an Amnesia boost so teammates can set up on special attackers; for example, +2 Special Defense Belly Drum Quagsire can set up on Slowking, which fails to do more than 50% with two uses of Surf. The last moveslot should be able to deter Haze users, phazers, and status inducers. Psychic is usually preferred due to it having high odds to 2HKO Nidoqueen, (RC) and consistently deterring phazers such as Piloswine. Thunder is a worthwhile option due to the high number of Flying- and Water-types in the tier, including phazer Gyarados, although Ground-types are threatening if Girafarig forgoes Psychic. Dropping Amnesia to maximize coverage against phazers is a valid option.

Team Options
============
Quagsire makes for a great teammate, as Speed boosts allow Quagsire to power through things more efficiently with its deadly combination of Belly Drum and STAB Earthquake. Additionally, it lacks ways to effectively deal with Haze users and phazers prior to setting up. Poliwrath is another common choice for a Speed boost recipient, as it has Lovely Kiss + Belly Drum, which allows it to better deal with Haze users, phazers, and status inducers that might have switched in as Girafarig used Baton Pass. Politoed also gets these benefits while having higher Special Defense and no weakness to Psychic- and Flying-type attacks. It has lower Defense and Attack than Poliwrath, but still reaches close to 999 Attack at +6. Poliwhirl can also work as a Belly Drum sweeper due to its better Speed tier. Swords Dance Bellossom and Vileplume can use passed boosts to set up more reliably, although they struggle against Haze users due to them usually having to sacrifice as they usually dedicate a moveslot to Sleep Powder to stop them. Pikachu makes for a solid receiver, since with a Growth passer such as Flareon, it can become an immensely strong threat. Explosion users such as Electrode and Haunter are great for taking down big threats, such as Granbull and Nidoqueen, while also providing screens and Thief support. Mr. Mime offers Baton Pass for keeping momentum, as well as amazing utility with moves such as Encore, Thunder Wave, and Barrier.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
============
Girafarig has a fairly wide and useful movepool, so many things can work. Curse can be used instead of Amnesia to boost physically oriented teammates using coverage or recovery moves over setup. However, the Speed drop is usually a hindrance, and Girafarig has other ways of passing Attack and Defense boosts. Girafarig can also run a mixed attacker offensive set with its other coverage options, such as Earthquake, which can nail Magneton unexpectedly and deal more damage to Electric-types in general. Thief is a solid option on such a set, as it hinders bulky, Leftovers-reliant foes such as Hypno.

Checks and Counters
============
**Physical Attackers**: Girafarig’s mediocre defenses and lack of Barrier leave it open to physical threats overcoming it. Curse + RestTalk Granbull can handle Psychic and common Baton Pass recipients while hitting back hard with Return. Quagsire and Piloswine can hit Girafarig hard with Earthquake and use Curse to give Baton Pass recipients difficulty. Piloswine is even able to use Roar. Girafarig is also vulnerable to Bug-types; (semicolon) Scyther and Pinsir are able to 2HKO it with Hidden Power Bug.

**Magneton**: Magneton resists Girafarig's standard coverage and can hit back hard with STAB Thunder. Hidden Power Grass variants can also threaten Quagsire, one of the most common recipients of Girafarig's boosts. However, Girafarig can outspeed Magneton and use Baton Pass to bring in a Ground- or Grass-type. Additionally, Girafarig can run Earthquake on rare occasions, so Magneton should exercise some caution.

**Jumpluff**: Jumpluff is a serious annoyance to Baton Pass chains. Its fast Encore can lock Girafarig into a boosting move, (comma) (don't remove the comma, just the word 'comma') forcing it out as Jumpluff inflicts status on its team. Jumpluff can also use Encore as a Speed-boosted recipient attempts to set up for a sweep, foiling even a recipient equipped with Miracle Berry.

**Explosion**: Girafarig is severely lacking in methods to deal with Explosion users. It cannot learn Substitute and there are very few Baton Pass users or recipients that resist Normal-type moves. Electrode can set up screens for its team before it explodes, since it can take multiple hits from Psychic. Haunter can put Girafarig to sleep before using Explosion, although there is a small chance that Psychic will OHKO Haunter if Hypnosis misses or Girafarig has Miracle Berry. Graveler with Leftovers will almost always survive two hits from Psychic despite its horrid special bulk, and its Explosion will KO almost anything that does not resist it.

[CREDITS]
- Grammar checked by: [[CryoGyro, 331519], [, ]]
Implemented, thanks! Now this should be ready for upload.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)