Giratina-O

Status
Not open for further replies.

haxiom

God's not dead.
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Giratina-Origin

[QC: 3/3] -- Wreckdra / Fireburn / Sweep
[GP: 2/2] -- Winry. / P Squared

Overview
########

Giratina-O is an effective Defogger that can check a lot of the physically oriented Pokemon in the Ubers metagame. It has solid 150 / 100 / 100 bulk and a good typing that offers six resistances and three immunities counting its ability, Levitate. This allows Giratina-O to check Primal Groudon, Extreme Killer Arceus, Mega Kangaskhan, some Mewtwo variants, Mega Blaziken, and other Fighting-types. Being a Ghost-type, Giratina-O is able to escape Shadow Tag and other means of trapping, and because it has Levitate, it is immune to Spikes, Toxic Spikes, and Sticky Web, and it is neutral to Stealth Rock. This makes Giratina-O a very reliable Defog user in the Ubers metagame. Additionally, Ghost is a potent offensive typing that has good neutral coverage and also gives it a niche in stopping Rapid Spin. However, a lack of reliable recovery plagues Giratina-O, as it is worn down by repeated attacks and residual damage from status and Stealth Rock. Giratina-O is forced to run Griseous Orb as well, and, while this provides a nice offensive boost to Giratina-O's STAB moves, it limits versatility and does not allow for the passive healing of Leftovers. It also faces new competition for a Defog slot from Latias and Latios, which boast similar advantages in bulk and Levitate, but they have access to reliable recovery in the form of Roost and Recover.

Physical Defog
########
name: Physical Defog
move 1: Defog
move 2: Shadow Sneak
move 3: Dragon Tail
move 4: Shadow Force / Earthquake
ability: Levitate
item: Griseous Orb
evs: 248 Atk / 248 Def / 12 Spe
nature: Adamant Nature

Moves
========

Defog is used to clear entry hazards and free up an Arceus slot. Shadow Sneak allows Giratina-O to anti-lead Deoxys-A and Deoxys-S; priority has a lot of utility in general. Dragon Tail allows Giratina-O to phaze setup sweepers that would be difficult to stop otherwise, such as Rock Polish Primal Groudon and Extreme Killer Arceus. Shadow Force is a very strong physical attack in general coming from a decent base 120 Attack stat further boosted by Griseous Orb. It also stops Geomancy Xerneas from setting up, as it hopefully puts Xerneas in range of Shadow Sneak after a bit of prior damage. Earthquake can hit Primal Groudon, Klefki, and Diancie super effectively. Will-O-Wisp gives Giratina-O a second way to deal with physical attackers besides Dragon Tail, and it should be used if a team absolutely needs a burn on setup sweepers such as Ground and Extreme Killer Arceus. It also gets passive damage on Pokemon such as Ferrothorn, Yveltal, and Clefable. Lastly, Stone Edge is a viable move used to deal with Ho-Oh, which Giratina-O often lures in, and hit Yveltal on the switch. It should be noted that if the role of entry hazard removal is already fulfilled by one of Giratina-O's teammates, another move can replace Defog on this set, making Giratina-O more of a specific check for physical attackers than an entry hazard-controlling support Pokemon.

Set Details
========

Griseous Orb is the mandatory item for Giratina-O. 248 Defense EVs allow Giratina-O to evade the KO from a +2 Adamant Extreme Killer Arceus's Shadow Claw after Stealth Rock damage. 12 Speed EVs let Giratina-O outpace maximum Speed Diancie before it Mega Evolves. The remaining EVs are placed into Attack and give Giratina-O the ability to hit harder in general; for example, with the EVs, Giratina-O has a stronger Shadow Sneak for picking off weakened foes, deals more chip damage with Dragon Tail, and hits Xerneas harder with Shadow Force. However, an alternative spread of 148 HP / 100 Atk / 248 Def / 12 Spe, which invests enough Attack to 2HKO Mewtwo with Shadow Sneak, can be used with Earthquake; otherwise, if running Shadow Force, maximum Attack investment is important to hit Xerneas harder.

Usage Tips
========

It is important to try to utilize immunities and resistances to get Giratina-O in safely. The need to use Defog should often be weighed, as having Stealth Rock up on your opponent's side can greatly increase the effectiveness of spamming Dragon Tail. However, be wary when the opponent has a Fairy-type Pokemon in the back when spamming Dragon Tail. Finally, try to minimize the residual damage that Giratina-O takes, as the lack of recovery makes Giratina-O susceptible to being worn down. If Giratina-O is needed to check a specific threat, it is important to preserve Giratina-O's HP.

Team Options
========

Entry hazard support is greatly appreciated to make Dragon Tail more effective. Bulky Stealth Rock setters make for the best partners; two examples are Dialga and Primal Groudon. Stealth Rock setters that can set up consistently over the course of a match are greatly preferred over suicide entry hazard leads. Giratina-O also appreciates teammates that check Fairy-types, such as Klefki, Scizor, Metagross, Aegislash, Jirachi, Ho-Oh, and Primal Groudon. It should be noted that the Fairy checks with a secondary Ghost or Psychic typing can compound weaknesses to Dark-types, which is not ideal. Giratina-O also appreciates Fairy-types such as Xerneas, Clefable, and Klefki as partners, because they check Dark-types for Giratina-O. Wish and cleric support from the likes of Blissey, Clefable, and Diancie on bulkier teams can keep Giratina-O healthy and prevent it from being overwhelmed. Offensive Arceus formes such as Swords Dance Ground Arceus and Calm Mind Dark Arceus appreciate the Defog role filled by Giratina-O, because this means that a support Arceus forme does not need to be used.

Other Options
########

Giratina-O has a number of viable alternatives, but it is hard-pressed to make space in its four moveslots. A mixed attacking set with Draco Meteor and Shadow Ball can be used, which allows Giratina-O to bypass physically defensive walls. Magic Coat is a cool move that anti-leads very effectively by bouncing back entry hazards, Taunt, and status moves such as Will-O-Wisp and Toxic. Substitute eases prediction and blocks status while making Shadow Force easier to use; however, it tends to run through Giratina-O's limited HP quickly. Rest is Giratina-O's only viable recovery move and means of removing status, so it can be used to increase longevity. Giratina-O tends to draw Fairy-types to itself, so Iron Tail is a viable move to hit them. If accuracy and Fairy-types are problematic, Roar is another phazing option which Giratina-O has. Toxic puts timers on opposing Pokemon, including both Primal Groudon and Ho-Oh, which cannot be burned, and support Arceus formes. Thunder Wave cripples faster Pokemon and can deter setup from the likes of Geomancy Xerneas and non-Refresh Salamence. Lastly, Hex can be a very powerful attack if an opposing Pokemon has any status, such as a burn, and allows Giratina-O to bypass Gliscor.

Checks & Counters
########

**Dark-types**: Dark-types make for the best checks to Giratina-O, as they resist Ghost and threaten with super effective Dark-type moves. Yveltal easily switches in and OHKOes Giratina-O with Dark Pulse, though it can be hit with Stone Edge as it switches in. Darkrai threatens Giratina-O with a powerful Dark Pulse, and it can put a teammate to sleep with Dark Void. Dark Arceus switches in and can threaten Giratina-O with Dark-type Judgment or set up Calm Mind. Tyranitar can switch in relatively easily, but it dislikes being burned and does not do too much damage in return.

**Fairy-types**: Bulky Fairy-types threaten Giratina-O, though they do not resist Ghost-type attacks. Defensive Xerneas does not take too much from Giratina-O's attacks and deals heavy damage with Moonblast. Fairy Arceus fears little from Giratina-O, threatens with Judgment, and can use Defog, Will-O-Wisp, Toxic, or Calm Mind. Clefable can use Giratina-O to pass Wishes and clear status with Heal Bell; it also threatens to use Moonblast, albeit a weaker one. Shadow Force does a lot of damage to Clefable, however.

**Ho-Oh**: Assuming that Stealth Rock is not set up on Ho-Oh's side and Giratina-O is not running the uncommon Stone Edge, Ho-Oh freely switches in on Giratina-O and deals a lot of damage, as Dragon Tail damage is negated by Regenerator.

**Gliscor**: Gliscor walls Giratina-O relatively well by using Roost to keep itself healthy and being immune to Will-O-Wisp because of its Toxic Orb. It can also use Toxic itself, which puts Giratina-O on a timer. A Draco Meteor from a mixed set will do significant damage to Gliscor, however.

**Fast Dragon-types**: Dragon-types that outspeed Giratina-O can threaten it out with a powerful Dragon-type move. Zekrom can outspeed and hit Giratina-O with a powerful Outrage, Dragon Claw, or Draco Meteor, while Palkia outspeeds and hits Giratina-O with Spacial Rend. However, neither enjoys switching into a Dragon Tail.

**Toxic**: Due to Giratina-O's lack of reliable recovery or way to rid itself of status, Toxic wears it down very rapidly and makes it susceptible to being overwhelmed by repeated hits.

Last edited:

haxiom

God's not dead.
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Does Mixed Attacker get a set? I want to mention Draco Meteor for Groudon but idk if a set dedicated for mixed attacker is still good

haxiom

God's not dead.
I think this is ready for QC. I'm mostly concerned about separating a mixed set with Draco Meteor and the EV spreads in general.

Toxic definitely deserves a mention somewhere. Thunder Wave does too, probably in OO.

Also, just nitpicking, but Rest technically isn't its only recovery move (Pain Split is really shitty on it for obvious reasons though).

I think because draco and sforce sets run really different ev's, you should remove one as a slash, and talk about the other one is moves and list the spread that you should use with it. getting rid of draco gives the best slashing (with the way it's done currently) but having draco is so nice for groudon so I guess qc should decide that

haxiom

God's not dead.
Yeah its kinda tough seeing as they are different spreads and have a different move but function in pretty much the same way. It just so happens that dm is the best move vs Groudon and needs a different spread. I really don't know how I want the slashes so I guess I'll wait on QC

Inspirited

There is usually higher ground.
is a Contributor Alumnus
I have only used the XY Shadow Force Defog set and it seems to still be the best one to me at least. I don't like Draco at all personally, and i think Dragon Tail cannot be slashed with anything. It is too important for checking boosting sweepers imo. Latias have gotten bulkier also since this was first written, so the secondary spread that helps draco is no longer good unfortunately. I also believe Shadow Force should be slashed first, just because of the teams Giratina-O finds itself on these days. If you don't have large, impending weakness to E-killer or Groundceus based offensive cores, them Shadow Force is the way to go imo.

Building on what kind of hazard support is needed to use Giratina-O would be a good idea here also. I am talking about hazard setters that can pull off setting hazards more than once or "bulky hazard setters", your examples do reflect these hazard setters though, i just don't want people thinking Deo-S + Gira-O and the like are good pair in ORAS.

Earthquake should be removed since it only hits SE targets for marginally more than Shadow Force since Heatran no longer works.

This analysis didn't age very well unfortunately, so i will see what else I can find when I wake.

Fireburn

BARN ALL
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I've been using this:

Defog
########
name: Defog
move 4: Shadow Force / Earthquake (Wisp in moves)
nature: Adamant

I actually still like Earthquake as its a nice way to get quick damage onto Primal Groudon and prevent Klefki from coming in easily, also it is a good weapon against Mega Diancie who otherwise comes in on this easily (well SForce works too but they can still flee on the charge up turn). I also like having an attack to actually hurt Primal Groudon over Wisp since you can potentially be trolled by faster DTail sets otherwise. Wisp is still alright if you NEED the burn on Groundceus/Ekiller though

Alt EVs if running EQ: 148 HP / 100 Atk / 248 Def / 12 Spe. EV spread gives you enough Attack to 2HKO Mewtwo with Shadow Sneak and enough Speed to outrun Mega Diancie with more bulk, but running Max Attack is better if using Shadow Force to maximize damage vs Xerneas. Can also be clutch if you need to phaze out a Salamence or something.

This is probably the only set that should be there. OO is fine for the most part, though I would mention Hex as it becomes a solid 130 BP STAB when the foe is statused + can be comboed with TWave or Wisp fairly easily. Hex also beats Gliscor. I'd relegate Draco Meteor to OO as well.

I'll approve once these edits are made.

haxiom

God's not dead.
Okay so I implemented Fireburn's changes and added some of the stuff WreckDra mentioned.

Inspirited

There is usually higher ground.
is a Contributor Alumnus
When mentioning how much Gira checks in the overview, also mention how it can be overwhelmed pretty easy due to its lack of recovery.

Otherwise QC 1/3

Speed creep isn't allowed in analyses, so unless Fireburn had something specific in mind with the 12 Speed in his spreads, you'll need to change it to 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD or something. nvm didn't see the mega diancie part

In moves, Will-O-Wisp isn't even so much for physical attackers, which Dragon Tail checks anyway, but allows Giratina-O to get passive damage on stuff like Ferrothorn / physically defensive Clefable / Yveltal / etc. In addition to hitting ekiller and groundceus, I'd mention that briefly.

In team options, I'd rephrase "Calm Mind or Swords Dance Arceus formes such as Arceus-Dark and Arceus-Ground" a bit so as not to confuse newer users. I don't want to see a Swords Dance Punishment Arceus-Dark on the ladder. Any competent player will know what you mean, but I'd change to something like " Offensive Arceus formes such as Swords Dance Ground Arceus and Calm Mind Dark Arceus" or something.

In checks & counters, remove the Klefki mention, it hates Shadow Force / EQ / Will-O-Wisp.

Nice job, QC 3/3

Winry

Super Graduate-Level Napper
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
add/correct remove comments
Overview
########

Giratina-O is an effective Defogger that can check a lot of the physically-[remove hyphen] oriented Pokemon in the Ubers metagame. Thanks to It has a solid 150 / 100 / 100 bulk, [rc] coupled with and a good typing that which offers six resistances and three immunities, [rc] counting its ability, Levitate. This allows Giratina-O to check Primal Groudon, Extreme Killer Arceus, Mega Kangaskhan, some Mewtwo variants, Mega Blaziken, and other Fighting-types. Being a Ghost-type, Giratina-O is able to escape Shadow Tag and other means of trapping, and because it has Levitate, it is immune to Spikes, Toxic Spikes, and Sticky Web, and it is while being neutral to Stealth Rock. This makes Giratina-O a very reliable Defog user in the Ubers metagame. Additionally, Ghost is a potent offensive typing that which has good neutral coverage. [remove period] Giratina-O's Ghost-typing and also gives it a niche in stopping Rapid Spin. However, a lack of reliable recovery plagues Giratina-O, as it is worn down by repeated attacks and residual damage from status and Stealth Rock. It Giratina-O is forced to run the Griseous Orb as well, and, [ac] while it gains this provides a nice offensive boost to its to Giratina-O's STAB moves, it limits versatility and does not allow for the passive healing of Leftovers. It also faces new competition for a Defog slot from Latias and Latios, which boast similar advantages in bulk and Levitate, but they have access to while also having reliable recovery in the form of Roost or Recover. Regardless, Giratina-O is a reliable Defog user and strong check to the numerous physical threats in the Ubers metagame.

Physical Defog
########

Moves
========

Defog is the main function of this set,[rc] and is used to clear entry hazards and free while freeing up an Arceus slot. Shadow Sneak allows Giratina-O to anti-lead Deoxys-A and Deoxys-S; [semi > comma] additionally, [ac] while priority has a lot of utility in general. Dragon Tail allows Giratina-O to phaze setup sweepers that would be difficult to stop otherwise, such as Rock Polish Primal Groudon and Extreme Killer Arceus. Shadow Force is a very strong physical attack in general coming from a decent base 120 Attack stat further boosted by the Griseous Orb. It also stops Geomancy Xerneas from setting up, as it hopefully puts Xerneas in range of Shadow Sneak after a bit of prior damage. Earthquake can hit Primal Groudon, Klefki, and Diancie super- [remove hyphen] effectively. Will-O-Wisp gives Giratina-O a second way to deal with physical attackers besides Dragon Tail, and it should be used if a team absolutely needs a burn on setup sweepers such as Arceus-Ground Ground and Extreme Killer Arceus. It also gets passive damage on Pokemon such as Ferrothorn, Yveltal, and Clefable. Lastly, Stone Edge is a viable move used to lure Ho-Oh and also hit Yveltal on the switch. It should be noted that if the role of entry hazard removal is already fulfilled by one of Giratina-O's teammates, another move can replace Defog on this set, making Giratina-O more of a specific check for physical attackers than an entry hazard-controlling support Pokemon.

Set Details
========

Griseous Orb is the mandatory item for Giratina-O. In regards to EVs, 248 Defense EVs allow Giratina-O to evade the KO from a +2 Adamant Extreme Killer Arceus's Shadow Claw after Stealth Rock damage. 12 Speed EVs outpace maximum Speed Diancie before it Mega Evolves Evolution. The remaining EVs are investment is placed into Attack, [rc] and give Giratina-O the ability to hit harder in general; [semi > comma] for example, [ac] the EVs grant it granting a stronger Shadow Sneak for picking off weakened foes, dealing more chip damage with Dragon Tail, and hitting Xerneas harder with Shadow Force. However, an alternative spread of 148 HP / 100 Atk / 248 Def / 12 Spe can be used, which invests enough attack to 2HKO Mewtwo with Shadow Sneak, and this spread should be used with Earthquake, as the extra power behind Shadow Force is important to hit Xerneas.

Usage Tips
========

It is important to try to utilize immunities and resistances to get in Giratina-O in safely. The need to use Defog should often be weighed, as having Stealth Rock set up on your opponent's side can greatly increase the effectiveness of spamming Dragon Tail. However, be wary when the opponent has a Fairy-type Pokemon in the back when spamming Dragon Tail. Finally, try to minimize the residual damage that Giratina-O takes, as the lack of recovery makes Giratina-O susceptible to being worn down. If Giratina-O is needed to check a specific threat, it is important to preserve Giratina-O's HP.

Team Options
========

Entry hazard support is greatly appreciated to make Dragon Tail more effective. Bulky Stealth Rock setters make for the best parters; [semi > comma] two examples are such as Dialga and Primal Groudon. Stealth Rock setters that can set up consistently over the course of a match are greatly preferred to suicide entry hazard leads. Giratina-O also appreciates teammates that check Fairy-types, such as Klefki, Scizor, Metagross, Aegislash, Jirachi, Ho-Oh, and Primal Groudon. It should be noted that the Fairy checks with a secondary Ghost- or Psychic-typing can compound weaknesses to Dark-types, which is not ideal. Giratina-O also appreciates Fairy-types such as Xerneas, Clefable, and Klefki as partners, because they check Dark-types for Giratina-O. Wish and Cleric support from the likes of Blissey, Clefable, and Diancie on bulkier teams can keep Giratina-O healthy and prevent it from being overwhelmed. Offensive Arceus formes such as Swords Dance Arceus-Ground Ground Arceus and Calm Mind Arceus-Dark Dark Arceus appreciate the Defog role filled by Giratina-O, [rc] so that because this means that a support Arceus forme does not need to be used.

Other Options
########

Giratina-O has a number of viable alternatives, but is hard-pressed to make space in its four move slots. A mixed attacking set with Draco Meteor and Shadow Ball can be used, which allows Giratina-O to bypass physically defensive walls. Magic Coat is a cool move that which anti-leads very effectively by bouncing back entry hazards, [ac] and Taunt, and status moves such as as well as bouncing back Will-O-Wisp and Toxic. Substitute eases prediction and blocks status, [rc] while making Shadow Force easier to use; however, it tends to run through Giratina-O's limited HP quickly. Rest is Giratina-O's only viable recovery move and means of removing status, so it can be used to increase longevity. Giratina-O tends to draw Fairy-types to itself, so Iron Tail is a viable move to hit them. If accuracy and Fairy-types are problematic, Roar is another phazing option which Giratina-O has. Toxic puts timers on opposing Pokemon lots of stuff, including both Primal Groudon and Ho-Oh, [ac] which cannot be burned, and support Arceus formes. Thunder Wave cripples faster Pokemon and can deter setup from the likes of Geomancy Xerneas and non-Refresh Salamence. Lastly, Hex can be a very powerful attack if an opposing Pokemon has any status, such as a burn, and allows Giratina-O to bypass Gliscor.

Checks & Counters
########

**Dark-types**: Dark-types make for the best checks to Giratina-O, as they resist Ghost and threaten with super-[remove hyphen] effective Dark-type moves. Yveltal easily switches in and OHKOes Giratina-O with Dark Pulse, though it can be hit with Stone Edge as it switches in. Darkrai threatens Giratina-O with a powerful Dark Pulse, and it can put a teammate to sleep with Dark Void. Arceus-Dark switches in and can threaten Giratina-O with Dark-type Judgment, [rc] or can set up Calm Mind. Tyranitar can switch in relatively easily, but dislikes being burned and does not to too much damage in return.

**Fairy-types**: Bulky Fairy-types threaten Giratina-O, though they do not resist Ghost-type attacks. Defensive Xerneas does not take too much from Giratina-O's attacks and deals heavy damage with Moonblast. Arceus-Fairy Fairy Arceus fears little from Giratina-O, threatens with Judgment, and can use Defog, Will-O-Wisp, Toxic, or set up Calm Mind. Clefable can use Giratina-O to pass Wishes and clear status with Heal Bell; [semi > comma] it also threatens to use while threatening with Moonblast, albeit a weaker one. Shadow Force does a lot of damage to Clefable, however.

**Ho-Oh**: Assuming that there are no Stealth Rock is not set up on Ho-Oh's side, [rc] and Giratina-O is not running the uncommon Stone Edge, Ho-Oh freely switches in on Giratina-O and deal a lot of damage, as Dragon Tail damage is negated by Regenerator.

**Gliscor**: Gliscor walls Giratina-O relatively well, [rc] by using Roost to keep itself healthy and being immune to Will-O-Wisp because of its Toxic Orb. It can also use Toxic itself, which puts Giratina-O on a timer. A Draco Meteor from a mixed set will do significant damage to Gliscor, however.

**Fast Dragon-types**: Dragon-types that outspeed Giratina-O can threaten it out with a powerful Dragon-type move. Zekrom can outspeed and hit Giratina-O with a powerful Outrage, Dragon Claw, or Draco Meteor, while Palkia outspeeds and hits Giratina-O with Spacial Rend. However, neither enjoys switching into a Dragon Tail.

**Toxic**: Due to a lack of reliable recovery or way to rid itself of status, Toxic wears Giratina-O down very rapidly, [rc] and makes it susceptible to being overwhelmed by repeated hits.
1/2

Last edited:

haxiom

God's not dead.
add/correct remove comments
Overview
########

Giratina-O is an effective Defogger that can check a lot of the physically-[remove hyphen] oriented Pokemon in the Ubers metagame. Thanks to It has a solid 150 / 100 / 100 bulk, [rc] coupled with and a good typing that which offers six resistances and three immunities, [rc] counting its ability, Levitate. This allows Giratina-O to check Primal Groudon, Extreme Killer Arceus, Mega Kangaskhan, some Mewtwo variants, Mega Blaziken, and other Fighting-types. Being a Ghost-type, Giratina-O is able to escape Shadow Tag and other means of trapping, and because it has Levitate, it is immune to Spikes, Toxic Spikes, and Sticky Web, and it is while being neutral to Stealth Rock. This makes Giratina-O a very reliable Defog user in the Ubers metagame. Additionally, Ghost is a potent offensive typing that which has good neutral coverage. [remove period] Giratina-O's Ghost-typing and also gives it a niche in stopping Rapid Spin. However, a lack of reliable recovery plagues Giratina-O, as it is worn down by repeated attacks and residual damage from status and Stealth Rock. It Giratina-O is forced to run the Griseous Orb as well, and, [ac] while it gains this provides a nice offensive boost to its to Giratina-O's STAB moves, it limits versatility and does not allow for the passive healing of Leftovers. It also faces new competition for a Defog slot from Latias and Latios, which boast similar advantages in bulk and Levitate, but they have access to while also having reliable recovery in the form of Roost or Recover. Regardless, Giratina-O is a reliable Defog user and strong check to the numerous physical threats in the Ubers metagame.

Physical Defog
########

Moves
========

Defog is the main function of this set,[rc] and is used to clear entry hazards and free while freeing up an Arceus slot. Shadow Sneak allows Giratina-O to anti-lead Deoxys-A and Deoxys-S; [semi > comma] additionally, [ac] while priority has a lot of utility in general. Dragon Tail allows Giratina-O to phaze setup sweepers that would be difficult to stop otherwise, such as Rock Polish Primal Groudon and Extreme Killer Arceus. Shadow Force is a very strong physical attack in general coming from a decent base 120 Attack stat further boosted by the Griseous Orb. It also stops Geomancy Xerneas from setting up, as it hopefully puts Xerneas in range of Shadow Sneak after a bit of prior damage. Earthquake can hit Primal Groudon, Klefki, and Diancie super- [remove hyphen] effectively. Will-O-Wisp gives Giratina-O a second way to deal with physical attackers besides Dragon Tail, and it should be used if a team absolutely needs a burn on setup sweepers such as Arceus-Ground Ground and Extreme Killer Arceus. It also gets passive damage on Pokemon such as Ferrothorn, Yveltal, and Clefable. Lastly, Stone Edge is a viable move used to lure Ho-Oh and also hit Yveltal on the switch. It should be noted that if the role of entry hazard removal is already fulfilled by one of Giratina-O's teammates, another move can replace Defog on this set, making Giratina-O more of a specific check for physical attackers than an entry hazard-controlling support Pokemon.

Set Details
========

Griseous Orb is the mandatory item for Giratina-O. In regards to EVs, 248 Defense EVs allow Giratina-O to evade the KO from a +2 Adamant Extreme Killer Arceus's Shadow Claw after Stealth Rock damage. 12 Speed EVs outpace maximum Speed Diancie before it Mega Evolves Evolution. The remaining EVs are investment is placed into Attack, [rc] and give Giratina-O the ability to hit harder in general; [semi > comma] for example, [ac] the EVs grant it granting a stronger Shadow Sneak for picking off weakened foes, dealing more chip damage with Dragon Tail, and hitting Xerneas harder with Shadow Force. However, an alternative spread of 148 HP / 100 Atk / 248 Def / 12 Spe can be used, which invests enough attack to 2HKO Mewtwo with Shadow Sneak, and this spread should be used with Earthquake, as the extra power behind Shadow Force is important to hit Xerneas.

Usage Tips
========

It is important to try to utilize immunities and resistances to get in Giratina-O in safely. The need to use Defog should often be weighed, as having Stealth Rock set up on your opponent's side can greatly increase the effectiveness of spamming Dragon Tail. However, be wary when the opponent has a Fairy-type Pokemon in the back when spamming Dragon Tail. Finally, try to minimize the residual damage that Giratina-O takes, as the lack of recovery makes Giratina-O susceptible to being worn down. If Giratina-O is needed to check a specific threat, it is important to preserve Giratina-O's HP.

Team Options
========

Entry hazard support is greatly appreciated to make Dragon Tail more effective. Bulky Stealth Rock setters make for the best parters; [semi > comma] two examples are such as Dialga and Primal Groudon. Stealth Rock setters that can set up consistently over the course of a match are greatly preferred to suicide entry hazard leads. Giratina-O also appreciates teammates that check Fairy-types, such as Klefki, Scizor, Metagross, Aegislash, Jirachi, Ho-Oh, and Primal Groudon. It should be noted that the Fairy checks with a secondary Ghost- or Psychic-typing can compound weaknesses to Dark-types, which is not ideal. Giratina-O also appreciates Fairy-types such as Xerneas, Clefable, and Klefki as partners, because they check Dark-types for Giratina-O. Wish and Cleric support from the likes of Blissey, Clefable, and Diancie on bulkier teams can keep Giratina-O healthy and prevent it from being overwhelmed. Offensive Arceus formes such as Swords Dance Arceus-Ground Ground Arceus and Calm Mind Arceus-Dark Dark Arceus appreciate the Defog role filled by Giratina-O, [rc] so that because this means that a support Arceus forme does not need to be used.

Other Options
########

Giratina-O has a number of viable alternatives, but is hard-pressed to make space in its four move slots. A mixed attacking set with Draco Meteor and Shadow Ball can be used, which allows Giratina-O to bypass physically defensive walls. Magic Coat is a cool move that which anti-leads very effectively by bouncing back entry hazards, [ac] and Taunt, and status moves such as as well as bouncing back Will-O-Wisp and Toxic. Substitute eases prediction and blocks status, [rc] while making Shadow Force easier to use; however, it tends to run through Giratina-O's limited HP quickly. Rest is Giratina-O's only viable recovery move and means of removing status, so it can be used to increase longevity. Giratina-O tends to draw Fairy-types to itself, so Iron Tail is a viable move to hit them. If accuracy and Fairy-types are problematic, Roar is another phazing option which Giratina-O has. Toxic puts timers on opposing Pokemon lots of stuff, including both Primal Groudon and Ho-Oh, [ac] which cannot be burned, and support Arceus formes. Thunder Wave cripples faster Pokemon and can deter setup from the likes of Geomancy Xerneas and non-Refresh Salamence. Lastly, Hex can be a very powerful attack if an opposing Pokemon has any status, such as a burn, and allows Giratina-O to bypass Gliscor.

Checks & Counters
########

**Dark-types**: Dark-types make for the best checks to Giratina-O, as they resist Ghost and threaten with super-[remove hyphen] effective Dark-type moves. Yveltal easily switches in and OHKOes Giratina-O with Dark Pulse, though it can be hit with Stone Edge as it switches in. Darkrai threatens Giratina-O with a powerful Dark Pulse, and it can put a teammate to sleep with Dark Void. Arceus-Dark switches in and can threaten Giratina-O with Dark-type Judgment, [rc] or can set up Calm Mind. Tyranitar can switch in relatively easily, but dislikes being burned and does not to too much damage in return.

**Fairy-types**: Bulky Fairy-types threaten Giratina-O, though they do not resist Ghost-type attacks. Defensive Xerneas does not take too much from Giratina-O's attacks and deals heavy damage with Moonblast. Arceus-Fairy Fairy Arceus fears little from Giratina-O, threatens with Judgment, and can use Defog, Will-O-Wisp, Toxic, or set up Calm Mind. Clefable can use Giratina-O to pass Wishes and clear status with Heal Bell; [semi > comma] it also threatens to use while threatening with Moonblast, albeit a weaker one. Shadow Force does a lot of damage to Clefable, however.

**Ho-Oh**: Assuming that there are no Stealth Rock is not set up on Ho-Oh's side, [rc] and Giratina-O is not running the uncommon Stone Edge, Ho-Oh freely switches in on Giratina-O and deal a lot of damage, as Dragon Tail damage is negated by Regenerator.

**Gliscor**: Gliscor walls Giratina-O relatively well, [rc] by using Roost to keep itself healthy and being immune to Will-O-Wisp because of its Toxic Orb. It can also use Toxic itself, which puts Giratina-O on a timer. A Draco Meteor from a mixed set will do significant damage to Gliscor, however.

**Toxic**: Due to a lack of reliable recovery or way to rid itself of status, Toxic wears Giratina-O down very rapidly, [rc] and makes it susceptible to being overwhelmed by repeated hits.
1/2
Implemented, thanks.

P Squared

a great unrecorded history
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
GP 2/2
add remove
comment

lemme know about Set Details before you send this off though
Overview
########

Giratina-O is an effective Defogger that can check a lot of the physically oriented Pokemon in the Ubers metagame. It has a solid 150 / 100 / 100 bulk and a good typing that(space)offers six resistances and three immunities counting its ability, Levitate. This allows Giratina-O to check Primal Groudon, Extreme Killer Arceus, Mega Kangaskhan, some Mewtwo variants, Mega Blaziken, and other Fighting-types. Being a Ghost-type, Giratina-O is able to escape Shadow Tag and other means of trapping, and because it has Levitate, it is immune to Spikes, Toxic Spikes, and Sticky Web, and it is neutral to Stealth Rock. This makes Giratina-O a very reliable Defog user in the Ubers metagame. Additionally, Ghost is a potent offensive typing that has good neutral coverage and also gives it a niche in stopping Rapid Spin. However, a lack of reliable recovery plagues Giratina-O, as it is worn down by repeated attacks and residual damage from status and Stealth Rock. Giratina-O is forced to run the Griseous Orb as well, and, while this provides a nice offensive boost to Giratina-O's STAB moves, it limits versatility and does not allow for the passive healing of Leftovers. It also faces new competition for a Defog slot from Latias and Latios, which boast similar advantages in bulk and Levitate, but they have access to reliable recovery in the form of Roost or and Recover.

Physical Defog
########

Moves
========

Defog is the main function of this set and is (avoid "main move" kind of stuff) used to clear entry hazards and freeing up an Arceus slot. Shadow Sneak allows Giratina-O to anti-lead Deoxys-A and Deoxys-S; priority has a lot of utility in general. Dragon Tail allows Giratina-O to phaze setup sweepers that would be difficult to stop otherwise, such as Rock Polish Primal Groudon and Extreme Killer Arceus. Shadow Force is a very strong physical attack in general coming from a decent base 120 Attack stat further boosted by the Griseous Orb. It also stops Geomancy Xerneas from setting up, as it hopefully puts Xerneas in range of Shadow Sneak after a bit of prior damage. Earthquake can hit Primal Groudon, Klefki, and Diancie super effectively. Will-O-Wisp gives Giratina-O a second way to deal with physical attackers besides Dragon Tail, and it should be used if a team absolutely needs a burn on setup sweepers such as Ground and Extreme Killer Arceus. It also gets passive damage on Pokemon such as Ferrothorn, Yveltal, and Clefable. Lastly, Stone Edge is a viable move used to lure deal with Ho-Oh, which Giratina-O often lures in, (Stone Edge does not lure in Ho-Oh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ho-Oh does not see Stone Edge and think "dang I want to switch in now") and hit Yveltal on the switch. It should be noted that if the role of entry hazard removal is already fulfilled by one of Giratina-O's teammates, another move can replace Defog on this set, making Giratina-O more of a specific check for physical attackers than an entry hazard-controlling support Pokemon.

Set Details
========

Griseous Orb is the mandatory item for Giratina-O. 248 Defense EVs allow Giratina-O to evade the KO from a +2 Adamant Extreme Killer Arceus's Shadow Claw after Stealth Rock damage. 12 Speed EVs let Giratina-O outpace maximum Speed Diancie before it Mega Evolves. The remaining EVs are placed into Attack and give Giratina-O the ability to hit harder in general; for example, the EVs grant it a stronger Shadow Sneak for picking off weakened foes, dealing allow it to deal more chip damage with Dragon Tail, and hitting let it hit Xerneas harder with Shadow Force. (explanation: I think Winry thought the dealing/hitting stuff followed from the stronger Shadow Sneak - aka, the stronger Shadow Sneak can be used for picking off, dealing, hitting, etc. I'm pretty sure you wanted dealing/hitting to follow from EVs, though - aka, the EVs grant, [verb], [verb], with the [verbs] being allow/deal because EVs don't deal damage (Giratina-O does). idk, I'm not a huge fan of the sentence either way, so if you like, you can use this instead: "; for example, with the EVs, Giratina-O has a stronger Shadow Sneak for picking off weakened foes, deals more chip damage with Dragon Tail, and hits Xerneas harder with Shadow Force." makes Giratina-O the subject of the sentence, which I think is more appropriate.) However, an alternative spread of 148 HP / 100 Atk / 248 Def / 12 Spe can be used, which invests enough Attack to 2HKO Mewtwo with Shadow Sneak, and this spread should be used with Earthquake, as the extra power behind Shadow Force is important to hit Xerneas. (this doesn't really make sense; you should run Earthquake because Shadow Force is important? not really a logical causal relation if you know what I mean? can you rewrite what you meant here and then tag me)

Usage Tips
========

Team Options
========

Entry hazard support is greatly appreciated to make Dragon Tail more effective. Bulky Stealth Rock setters make for the best partners; two examples are Dialga and Primal Groudon. Stealth Rock setters that can set up consistently over the course of a match are greatly preferred to over suicide entry hazard leads. Giratina-O also appreciates teammates that check Fairy-types, such as Klefki, Scizor, Metagross, Aegislash, Jirachi, Ho-Oh, and Primal Groudon. It should be noted that the Fairy checks with a secondary Ghost- (remove dash) or Psychic-typing (remove dash) can compound weaknesses to Dark-types, which is not ideal. Giratina-O also appreciates Fairy-types such as Xerneas, Clefable, and Klefki as partners, because they check Dark-types for Giratina-O. Wish and cleric support from the likes of Blissey, Clefable, and Diancie on bulkier teams can keep Giratina-O healthy and prevent it from being overwhelmed. Offensive Arceus formes such as Swords Dance Ground Arceus and Calm Mind Dark Arceus appreciate the Defog role filled by Giratina-O, because this means that a support Arceus forme does not need to be used.

Other Options
########

Giratina-O has a number of viable alternatives, but it is hard-pressed to make space in its four move(remove space)slots. A mixed attacking set with Draco Meteor and Shadow Ball can be used, which allows Giratina-O to bypass physically defensive walls. Magic Coat is a cool move that anti-leads very effectively by bouncing back entry hazards, Taunt, and status moves such as Will-O-Wisp and Toxic. Substitute eases prediction and blocks status while making Shadow Force easier to use; however, it tends to run through Giratina-O's limited HP quickly. Rest is Giratina-O's only viable recovery move and means of removing status, so it can be used to increase longevity. Giratina-O tends to draw Fairy-types to itself, so Iron Tail is a viable move to hit them. If accuracy and Fairy-types are problematic, Roar is another phazing option which Giratina-O has. Toxic puts timers on opposing Pokemon, including both Primal Groudon and Ho-Oh, which cannot be burned, and support Arceus formes. Thunder Wave cripples faster Pokemon and can deter setup from the likes of Geomancy Xerneas and non-Refresh Salamence. Lastly, Hex can be a very powerful attack if an opposing Pokemon has any status, such as a burn, and allows Giratina-O to bypass Gliscor.

Checks & Counters
########

**Dark-types**: Dark-types make for the best checks to Giratina-O, as they resist Ghost and threaten with super effective Dark-type moves. Yveltal easily switches in and OHKOes Giratina-O with Dark Pulse, though it can be hit with Stone Edge as it switches in. Darkrai threatens Giratina-O with a powerful Dark Pulse, and it can put a teammate to sleep with Dark Void. Dark Arceus-Dark can switches in and can threaten Giratina-O with Dark-type Judgment or set up Calm Mind. Tyranitar can switch in relatively easily, but it dislikes being burned and does not to do too much damage in return.

**Fairy-types**: Bulky Fairy-types threaten Giratina-O, though they do not resist Ghost-type attacks. Defensive Xerneas does not take too much from Giratina-O's attacks and deals heavy damage with Moonblast. Fairy Arceus fears little from Giratina-O, threatens with Judgment, and can use Defog, Will-O-Wisp, Toxic, or set up (because there is no "or" before Toxic, this part also follows from "can use". so the sentence was equivalent to "and can use Defog, can use Will-O-Wisp, can use Toxic, or can use set up Calm Mind". remove "set up" and the problem is fixed. besides, it's pretty clear that Calm Mind is a setup move imo) Calm Mind. Clefable can use Giratina-O to pass Wishes and clear status with Heal Bell; it also threatens to use Moonblast, albeit a weaker one. Shadow Force does a lot of damage to Clefable, however.

**Ho-Oh**: Assuming that Stealth Rock is not set up on Ho-Oh's side and Giratina-O is not running the uncommon Stone Edge, Ho-Oh freely switches in on Giratina-O and deals a lot of damage, as Dragon Tail damage is negated by Regenerator.

**Gliscor**: Gliscor walls Giratina-O relatively well by using Roost to keep itself healthy and being immune to Will-O-Wisp because of its Toxic Orb. It can also use Toxic itself, which puts Giratina-O on a timer. A Draco Meteor from a mixed set will do significant damage to Gliscor, however.

**Toxic**: Due to a Giratina-O's lack of reliable recovery or way to rid itself of status, Toxic wears Giratina-O it down very rapidly and makes it susceptible to being overwhelmed by repeated hits.

Last edited:

haxiom

God's not dead.
P Squared ,
Griseous Orb is the mandatory item for Giratina-O. 248 Defense EVs allow Giratina-O to evade the KO from a +2 Adamant Extreme Killer Arceus's Shadow Claw after Stealth Rock damage. 12 Speed EVs let Giratina-O outpace maximum Speed Diancie before it Mega Evolves. The remaining EVs are placed into Attack and give Giratina-O the ability to hit harder in general; for example, with the EVs, Giratina-O has a stronger Shadow Sneak for picking off weakened foes, deals more chip damage with Dragon Tail, and hits Xerneas harder with Shadow Force. However, an alternative spread of 148 HP / 100 Atk / 248 Def / 12 Spe, which invests enough Attack to 2HKO Mewtwo with Shadow Sneak, can be used with Earthquake, as the when running Shadow Force, maximum Attack investment is important to hit Xerneas harder.

Better? Clearer? Any new mistakes?

P Squared

a great unrecorded history
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
ooh I think I see what you meant now. Is this okay?

However, an alternative spread of 148 HP / 100 Atk / 248 Def / 12 Spe, which invests enough Attack to 2HKO Mewtwo with Shadow Sneak, can be used with Earthquake, as the when; otherwise, if running Shadow Force, maximum Attack investment is important to hit Xerneas harder.
so:
However, an alternative spread of 148 HP / 100 Atk / 248 Def / 12 Spe, which invests enough Attack to 2HKO Mewtwo with Shadow Sneak, can be used with Earthquake; otherwise, if running Shadow Force, maximum Attack investment is important to hit Xerneas harder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)