Pokémon Glimmora

images (2).jpeg

Glimmora

Type: Rock / Poison

Stats: 83/55/90/130/81/86

Ability: Toxic Debris / Corrosion

Moves: Stealth Rock / Spikes / Toxic Spikes / Mortal Spin / Spiky Shield / Rock Polish / Sludge Wave / Power Gem / Energy Ball / Earth Power / Tera Blast / Memento

New Ability:

Toxic Debris: Scatters poison spikes at the feet of the opposing team when the Pokémon takes damage from physical moves.

New Move:

Mortal Spin: :Poison: Physical 30 BP 100 AC 15 PP Additional Effect: Poisons the opponent, frees from binding moves, and removes the opponent's entry hazards on your side of the field.

Pros:

- Amazing 130 SpA with great coverage that you will most likely never use.

- Learns all hazard moves and has an ability that spawns Toxic Spikes when the opponent uses a contact move.

- Mortal Spin is Rapid Spin that trades a speed boost for poisoning the opponent.

- Pairs extremely well with Gholdengo to keep the hazards down, albeit with a double ground weakness.

- Not bulky, but also has just enough tankiness to set up a few layers of hazards.

Cons:

- Despite having high Sp Attack its moves have low base power.

- Doesn't really do much outside of being a suicide lead.

Terrastal potential: Flying, Ghost

As a suicide lead I don't think defensive Tera is worth it, but occasionally flipping to the Flying type can give one or two extra layers of entry hazards. Ghost can block Rapid Spin.

Sets:

The one and only Glimmora @ Focus Sash
Ability: Toxic Debris
Terra Type: Flying
EVs: 252 Hp / 4 Sp Def / 252 Spe
Timid / Jolly Nature

- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Mortal Spin
- Memento / Earth Power

Sets up hazards quite easily against more passive Pokémon and can utilize Sash to get Rocks + a Spike layer + sometimes even Toxic Spikes in two turns. Once the Spikes are stacked, do what HO typically does and attack until one of you loses. Last slot is split between Memento to block Rapid Spin or set up.a sweeper, or Earth Power to ward off Gholdengo.

- Set by Ema Skye
Glimmora @ Black Sludge
Ability: Corrosion
Terra Type: Ground
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Toxic
- Earth Power
- Stealth Rock / Spikes
- Mortal Spin / Power Gem

This is a hazard setter that does very well versus removal. Corrosion Toxic allows it to poison both Corviknight and Iron Treads to prevent them from removing its hazards (two of the strongest forms of removal right now). Toxic also puts Great Tusk on a timer which is also valuable. Tera Ground is 3HKOed by Great Tusk Headlong Rush and does a ton to Gholdengo (though you can't Toxic it and need Power Gem to break any Balloons). Last slot is generally pretty flexible.

Other options:

Full on offensive sets possibly utilizing Tera will probably be able to do work, but that speaks more about the power of Tera than it does Glimmora. As the meta is right now the best this thing can do is what it's built for, a suicide lead.

Last edited:

Ema Skye

Work!
I don't think Glimmora is entirely limited to suicide lead sets. It's pretty flexible.

Glimmora @ Black Sludge
Bold Nature
- Toxic
- Earth Power
- Stealth Rock / Spikes

This is a hazard setter that does very well versus removal. Corrosion Toxic allows it to poison both Corviknight and Iron Treads to prevent them from removing its hazards (two of the strongest forms of removal right now). Toxic also puts Great Tusk on a timer which is also valuable. Tera Ground is 3HKOed by Great Tusk Headlong Rush and does a ton to Gholdengo (though you can't Toxic it and need Power Gem to break any Balloons). Last slot is generally pretty flexible.

I don't think Glimmora is entirely limited to suicide lead sets. It's pretty flexible.

Glimmora @ Black Sludge
Bold Nature
- Toxic
- Earth Power
- Stealth Rock / Spikes

Thanks, I'll add it to the OP!

I love this annoying little thing, it's the first Pokemon I added to the test team I'm using for now to try out the new stuff.

Glimmora @ Black Sludge
Tera Type: Ghost
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earth Power
- Spiky Shield
- Mortal Spin

I've been using this Glimmora as a rocks setter, and it's doing wonders. Earth Power beautifully checks opposing Glimmoras and the Dittos that I've been finding xD
It's very similar to both sets here, but I like having Spiky Shield instead of Toxic, to test out attacks safely and do a tiny bit against Rapid Spinners.
I'm still undecisive about Tera Type, cause swapping to another type makes me take Black Sludge dmg, but blocking Rapid Spin is nice :(

After some experimentation with the moves and quite a lot of experimentation with the item, this is the Glimmora set I prefer on all my Glimmora teams:

Glimmora @ Air Balloon
Tera Type: Ground
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Mortal Spin
- Earth Power
- Rock Tomb
- Stealth Rock

Note that I never lead with Glimmora - in fact, I use Glimmora as a "pivot"/semi-universal switch-in to physical moves. Being able to effectively take 2 turns in 1 turn (e.g. switch and set Toxic Spikes, set SR and set Toxic Spikes) has felt Cramorant-Gorging-in-Gen-8-Hackmons levels of glorious. Besides, if I ever lead with Glimmora(/Palafin/Gholdengo/etc.), I have a bad hunch that my opponent will try their best to anti-lead against the guy I'd rather not lose momentum on Turn 1 with (even leading with Cyclizar is risky because a third of my opponents lead with an Ice Shard user).

Air Balloon has performed the best for me because it has been the most likely item to let this Glimmora get hit at least twice. (Glimmora has gotten OHKOd through Shuca Berry too often.) It also poops all over the typical(-but-risky) Hazards/Recover/Toxic/Earthquake Clodsire set.

Rock Tomb is my favourite way to tamp down the physical attacker in front of me and deal chip damage before finally getting KOed. My Glimmora's teammates can generally take advantage of the speed drop. Rock Tomb is why this Glimmora runs max speed.

Earth Power (and the Ground Tera) are to get decent damage on Steel-types. (The Ground Tera also conveniently drops Glimmora's 4x Ground weakness in a pinch.)

I typically like to at least pretend I have hazards removal on my team by giving Glimmora Mortal Spin.

It's quite possible that this Glimmora should be Hasty instead (I'd rather not pick Naive because this can actually try to check Volcarona and Iron Moth in a pinch - and yes, Rock Tomb has OHKOd Volcarona before).

Imma try a surprise sweeper:
Polished Poison Plume
Item: Life Orb
Nature: Timid/Modest
EVs: (HP 4) (Sp. Att. 252) (Speed 252)

Rock Polish
Power Gem
Venoshock
Earth Power

Boost speed from above average to excellent, spam Power Gem, Venoshock works well if Toxic Debris lays down Toxic Spikes, and Earth Power for coverage.

When I get to play this Meta, the set I will try on balance and defensive teams is Restalk + Toxic, with Corrosion as ability and Hippowdon as partner. Last move probably will be one of the STABs, Earth Power or Spikes.

Polished Poison Plume

Rock Polish
Power Gem
Venoshock
Earth Power

Boost speed from above average to excellent, spam Power Gem, Venoshock works well if Toxic Debris lays down Toxic Spikes, and Earth Power for coverage.
Offensive set looks fun. Really it's a shame this doesn't get Meteor Beam.

Venoshock synergies are interesting though. Maybe a Specs or Scarf set could be used on a status team to break its counters.

I'm still on team "this thing is only good for Spike stacking" but I'd love to see a Pokémon with 130 base sp attack actually use it.

Offensive set looks fun. Really it's a shame this doesn't get Meteor Beam.

Venoshock synergies are interesting though. Maybe a Specs or Scarf set could be used on a status team to break its counters.

I'm still on team "this thing is only good for Spike stacking" but I'd love to see a Pokémon with 130 base sp attack actually use it.
There is also the option to mix and match so you can be a special attacker AND a hazard setter.

Polished Poison Plume

Rock Polish
Power Gem
Venoshock
Earth Power

I have been trying a set out very similar to that but with Weakness Policy+Tera and it wrecks almost everything.

Glimmora is one of the best entry hazard setters in the game especially with Toxic Debris and I see it doing very well on HO teams

sometimes I use the bulky attacker set :
Glimmora @ Assault Vest
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Sludge Bomb
- Power Gem
- Earth Power
- Dazzling Gleam

thanks to its 130 base special attack it does not need much investment.
earth power can hit anything that resists its stabs and dazzling gleam is for the fighting types.

Last edited:
While I don't like posting team cores in discussion threads about a singular pokemon, I felt this one needed to be known given how unique Toxic Debris is as an ability. I have consistently been using a core of Glimmora + Mabostiff + Ghost type of choice. Mabostiff being Pure Dark, in conjunction with it's Stakeout ability + Jaw Lock has been quite effective on ladder. Once Glimmora has gotten up a layer of T-spikes or 2, Mabostiff boasts a very interesting niche in being able to either net suprise KO's with Stakeout or lock an opponent already poisoned by Toxic Spikes in with Jaw Lock to further rack up chip damage.

With a ghost type to block Fighting moves and resist U turn pivots in the backline, Mabostiff can aide in wearing down the opponent by making them not want to switch out and locking them into Poison damage. And of course, Glimmora can actually shine better as a pokemon by having a dark resist in the back line while being able to fire off powerful special attacks and set up more Toxic spikes.

If you're already using Glimmora as a suicide lead, I think Explosion and Mental Herb are valid considerations over Memento and Focus Sash. Mental Herb is a nice way to surprise opponents that decide to lead with a Taunt user, while Explosion is better into (passed) substitutes, as it at least breaks/damages them.

I don’t play HO or like to run Glimmora myself but please keep leading with the frail sets so I can continue to freely fire off Choice Spec Shadow Balls with Dragapult (:

I figured out how to oneshot an uninvested Glimmora through Sash without triggering Toxic Debris:

252+ SpA Choice Specs Farigiraf Twin Beam (2 hits) vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Glimmora: 308-364 (100.3 - 118.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Already posted in the Farigiraf thread but might be relevant here, considering how hard it is to stop this flower from getting up a thousand hazards. Still slower than Glimmora though which guarantees at least SR/Spikes going up.

I figured out how to oneshot an uninvested Glimmora through Sash without triggering Toxic Debris:

252+ SpA Choice Specs Farigiraf Twin Beam (2 hits) vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Glimmora: 308-364 (100.3 - 118.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Already posted in the Farigiraf thread but might be relevant here, considering how hard it is to stop this flower from getting up a thousand hazards. Still slower than Glimmora though which guarantees at least SR/Spikes going up.
Unfortunately Farigiraf is slower, and HP invested Glimmora would survive to get two layers of hazards.

Unfortunately Farigiraf is slower, and HP invested Glimmora would survive to get two layers of hazards.
Yeah, any defensive investment ruins this strat. You're essentially hoping to go up against 252 SpA 252 Spe. I thought it was funny at least.

Anyone running Corrosion? Glimmora is unique as it has decent bulk and has excellent special attack and I find you can abuse it's ability to the fullest by using it on a sandstorm team for the poison and extra chip damage. Spiky Shield + Toxic Glimmora with Hippo is a good sand core with the sand boosting Glimmora's Special defense it can take quite a few hits on the special side.

I think tera Grass is worth making a set for, since this gets energy ball which lets it lure and absolutely dumpster Great Tusk which usually dispatches this with little issue. I don't quite remember who I saw use this first but I remember seeing a replay featuring it somewhere in the tera thread. Something like this:

Glimmora @ Focus Sash/Leftovers
Tera Type: Grass
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe or 168 HP / 88 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Energy Ball
- Mortal Spin
- Spikes/Earth Power
- Stealth Rock

Earth Power lets it also take on Iron Treads, second spread is if you want to also be able to OHKO 248 HP Tusk, can't clean OHKO AV even with max SpA and a boosting nature

Last edited:
Anyone running Corrosion? Glimmora is unique as it has decent bulk and has excellent special attack and I find you can abuse it's ability to the fullest by using it on a sandstorm team for the poison and extra chip damage. Spiky Shield + Toxic Glimmora with Hippo is a good sand core with the sand boosting Glimmora's Special defense it can take quite a few hits on the special side.
I want to run a Corrosion set, especially since it was effectively obsolete when run on Salazzle since you would rather fire off a Fire Blast on a Ferrothorn rather than poison it. Not to mention the succubus lizard was too frail to use properly. Glimmora certainly has more bulk and more reason to use it to address certain counters, but Toxic Debris is hard to pass up on both offensive, defensive, and entry hazard lead sets. Bypassing Poison and Steel immunities is nice, but in overall individual and team support, Toxic Debris sadly has more potential. Not to say Corrosion & Toxic sets won't be effective, as they will.

I've been trying a more defensive Build. Seems to do ok.

Glimmora @ Rocky Helmet
Terra Type: (Undecided)
EVs: 252 Hp / 4 Sp Def / 252 Def
Bold Nature

- Stealth Rock
- Power Gem
- Mortal Spin
- Spiky Shield

It's still got enough Special Attack to do damage against non resists but really it's there for Hazards/Poison and to wall/stall.

I’ve been finding really good success with using red card on a defensive Glimmora. I’m not the best at competitive by any means, so of course input is welcome, but whoever I switch Glimmora in to take a physical attack while it holds red card, having it toss toxic debris out before the switch is awesome because it’s like getting to set toxic spikes on the same turn I switch in on and then about half the time it screws up their game plan and then they’re poisoned. If they decide to stay in, Glimmora has a decent enough sp. attack stat that is becomes a threat super quickly. Personally I love this flower.

Glimmora @ Red Card
Level: 50
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD
Bold Nature
- Energy Ball
- Endure
- Stealth Rock
- Earth Power

I’ve been finding really good success with using red card on a defensive Glimmora. I’m not the best at competitive by any means, so of course input is welcome, but whoever I switch Glimmora in to take a physical attack while it holds red card, having it toss toxic debris out before the switch is awesome because it’s like getting to set toxic spikes on the same turn I switch in on and then about half the time it screws up their game plan and then they’re poisoned. If they decide to stay in, Glimmora has a decent enough sp. attack stat that is becomes a threat super quickly. Personally I love this flower.

Glimmora @ Red Card
Bold Nature
- Energy Ball
- Endure
- Stealth Rock
- Earth Power
Never thought of that. Though you may want to consider subbing in Venoshock with how quickly poisoning will spread.

Glimmora @ Red Card
Bold Nature
- Energy Ball
- Endure
- Stealth Rock
- Earth Power
You should run HP investment, it will take hits better overall.

252 SpA Choice Specs Dragapult Shadow Ball vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Glimmora: 148-175 (48 - 56.8%)

252 Atk Garchomp Scale Shot (3 hits) vs. 4 HP / 252+ Def Glimmora: 99-117 (32.1 - 37.9%)

with HP EVs...

252 SpA Choice Specs Dragapult Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 160 SpD Glimmora: 162-192 (43.7 - 51.8%)

252 Atk Garchomp Scale Shot (3 hits) vs. 252 HP / 96+ Def Glimmora: 111-135 (30 - 36.4%)

As a general rule you always want to invest in 252 HP before you touch other stats. There are some rare exceptions like Blissey or SOME Assault Vest Pokemon but most of the time HP is the best stat to put EVs into.

Now that we know moves under 60BP of the equivalent Tera type get boosted to 60BP under terastalisation (see "Low Power Boost" in https://www.serebii.net/scarletviolet/terastal.shtml): What about Acid Spray?

Glimmora @ Black Sludge/Air Balloon
Tera Type: Poison
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
- Acid Spray
- Earth Power
- Power Gem
- Stealth Rock

I'm not sure if its worth Terastalising for that often, but mono-Poison is a pretty nice typing, plus this thing is usable without a strong poison STAB regardless.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)