Gliscor (Analysis)

Is there any chance for a pure Swords Dance set? I've been running a Swords Dance / Taunt / Earthquake / Facade set and it's been amazing. I've been using the Impish spread but with only like 20 Speed to beat most other Gliscor (speaking of which are the 72 EVs to beat +Speed Ttar, because I've run into literally only 1 of them ever. Personally I'd like the analysis to just list 4 EVs to maximize its Defense). Taunt is amazing on Gliscor because it shuts down Nattorei and Skarmory who are two of the most common Gliscor counters. Let's face it, Spikes are everywhere in B/W so Taunt is really useful if you don't have a Spinner. The ability to beat Skarm 1 on 1 is also pretty good if you ask me, so there should be a mention of this set at the very least. Being able to wall things like Dory and then turn around and sweep on a whim is quite cool.

Okay, time to bump this, as I finally figured out the best solution for this. I decided to turn this into three sets. The first being fling, the second being defensive toxic and the third swords dance. I went for Eo's spread as a standard on all sets (252 HP / 184 Def / 72 Spe Jolly) as outrunning TTar has proven to be invaluable in some matches. I have also given what seem to be the most usefull alternative spreads in the set comments. I didnt use the 20 speed versio, as that would just make it a bit of a speedcreep opportunity, as other people would just start using 1 more speadpoint otherwise.

What I would also want to know is what would actually be the benefit of using 252/252 impish over 252/184 impish. Are there specific things you would survive otherwise or would it just give a little added defense to take smaller hits?

Anyways, I'm gonna do the rest of this tomorrow/over the weekend.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
A few things

Somewhere along the lines, a spread of 244 HP / 28 Def / 236 Spe Impish might be warranted on the SD set, or even a more defensive set if you're paranoid. You don't need ALL that bulk for an SD set, and with this spread you can now outpace Max speed base 80s, you're nearly as bulky, and have hit a Poison Heal number. If you DO only really need to hit that speed, the spread is STILL inefficient. 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 Spe Impish hits the exact same stats but better defense, while 244 HP / 96 Def / 168 Spe Impish lets you hit a Poison heal number.

In other news, the Fling set should totally be called AcroBAT.

Is a lead set still viable?

Gliscor -Leftovers/toxic Orb
(Forgot Evs and Nature)
Sand Veil/ Poison heal:
~Taunt
~U-turn
~Earthquake
~Stealth Rock/ Protect/ Knock off

With there no longer being fixed leads (due to team preview), a full lead set seems useless. You can always just move some of the moves around round right?

Eo Ut Mortus

Elodin Smells
is a Programmeris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
I agree with the current format but just one thing: make Ice Fang the primary mention over Facade on the Swords Dance set. It has greater coverage - perhaps the most important thing is that it hits opposing Gliscor. Facade's main use is just again Rotom-W, whom you aren't going to beat one on one without residual damage.

Also something else that is worthy of mention (Optional Changes probably) is that Gliscor can run a special defensive spread to survive certain attacks, namely Hidden Power Ice from Landlos and Virizion (Def EVs -> SpD EVs, Impish)

Otherwise looks good so:

QC Approved 1/2

edit: I am also fine with Swords Dance being the first set listed

Oui oui oui I was going to mention Ice Fang as the primary attack but Eo beat me to it. Neutral Facade is actually stronger than a super-effective Ice Fang, but Gliscor is just so common that you most definitely want the extra firepower against it (I still personally like Facade but that's what the slash is for!). Also make Taunt the primary slash over Protect, as Taunt is an absolute must to prevent Nattorei and Skarmory for setting up, which is the primary allure to the set. It also helps you beat Roobushin one on one unless they Payback as you Taunt.

I would also argue that Swords Dance Gliscor is its most effective set in the Black and White and should therefore be the first set listed, but it's not too big of a deal.

QC Approved 2/2

Thanks for the aprovals, although I didnt even finish the draft yet. I guess I'll start working on the text right away then.

@ fuck you all: that seems rather obvious, although I'll still mention it offcourse

November Blue

A universe where hot chips don't exist :(
is a Contributor Alumnus
I was looking over this, and nobody seems to have taken notice of one small detail that really irks me.

Give Gliscor 244 HP EVs so he hits a lefties number.

Especially when using poison heal, you'll regain slightly more health each turn (which adds up) and frees up some EVs.

This was never mentioned in the D/P analysis either. Am I missing something?

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
uhh...

Lefties numbers are overrated. In some analyses I would actually avoid Lefties number due to increasing residual damage as well (that is, if that Pokemon isn't immune to Sandstorm). Fortunately Gliscor is pretty much immune to every residual damage.

You don't actually gain anything from it and Gliscor gets a tiiiny bit more bulk with maxing out HP, but that's worth more than chopping down 8 EVs from his HP

Boring example
352 HP / 367 Def / 186 SpDef (stats from first set, -2 HP, +2 Def)

VS

354 HP / 365 Def / 186 SpDef (stats from first set)

Second spread has 0.57% more special bulk and 0.02% more physical bulk.

Yeah so no

Anyways I'd like to drop in to say that I approve of the Swords Dancer set though I wouldn't really like it being first because I hate facing it x_x

Bad Ass

Custom Title
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis the 2nd Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Good for the most part. Just move Defensive up top, since it's by and far the best set Gliscor runs these days. Also a few minor changes:

name: Defensive
move 1: Earthquake
move 2: Toxic
move 3: Taunt / Protect
move 4: Ice Fang / Facade
item: Toxic Orb
ability: Poison Heal
nature: Impish
evs: 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 Spe

Taunt is cooler to prevent healing / beat Skarmory and Ferrothorn.

Approved.

November Blue

A universe where hot chips don't exist :(
is a Contributor Alumnus
uhh...

You don't actually gain anything from it and Gliscor gets a tiiiny bit more bulk with maxing out HP, but that's worth more than chopping down 8 EVs from his HP
Whaddya mean "uhh...?" :P

Hmm. Sounds fair enough. I'd like to know just how much more hp he recovers with 352 HP though.

Also, I'd like to contribute a set:

"AcroBling" (you mighta heard of it!)

Gliscor @ Flight Jewel
Jolly
Poison Heal
52 HP / 252 Atk / 204 Spe

Acrobatics
Swords Dance
Agility
Earthquake/Baton Pass/Roost

It's a (somewhat bulky) sweeper. I might have posted it somewhere on smogon before, but I can't remember where.

The premise is to use gliscors apparent bulk and defensive nature to get off an agility and swords dance, then sweep with your powerful STAB acrobatics + EQ combo. The EVs hit 608 speed after an agility, outspeeding excadrill and anything aiming to outspeed him at 606 as well. Poison heal allows you to switch into toxic and gain itemless recovery, or you can opt for hyper cutter/sand veil + roost if you want. Baton passing +2/+2 off 608 speed to another sweeper is also great for retaining momentum. It's like passing a shell smash to a pure physical sweeper without the defense drops.

What do you think?

Bad Ass

Custom Title
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis the 2nd Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
[20:34:51] <+badass> jibaku
[20:34:54] <+badass> how does this sound
[20:34:58] <+badass> sd-defensive-acrobat
[20:35:01] <+badass> set order
[20:35:24] <~JibaDINNER> sure

Acrobat
Offensive
Defensive

Sets ordered by usage. Also, since Acrobat is the Standard, it would be silly to leave it last.

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
The analysis also has the ability to define what's standard or not. It doesn't have to necessarily reflect the standard in the current meta if said set is not overall the best and purposeful. I see no qualms in putting SD Gliscor first and Acro last - eventually the standards will and should change too.

(Actually, the one qualm I have is that I hate facing SD Gliscors 9.9)

I just tried the Offensive Gliscor... and I must say, there are obviously way better EVs to give him. Even after a Swords Dance, Gliscor cannot KO many Pokémon unless it's for super-effective damage. 180 HP / 196 Atk / 132 Def works great on this guy though. Not sure what those EV's are for, but they really help Gliscor get more KOs.

Super Mario Bro

All we ever look for
The Swords Dance EV spread is inefficient. The current spread in the OP yields 332 Defense and 268 Speed, while a spread 252 HP/88 Def/168 Spe Impish yields 338 Defense and 268 Speed.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
A If you DO only really need to hit that speed, the spread is STILL inefficient. 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 Spe Impish hits the exact same stats but better defense
The Swords Dance EV spread is inefficient. The current spread in the OP yields 332 Defense and 268 Speed, while a spread 252 HP/88 Def/168 Spe Impish yields 338 Defense and 268 Speed.
You be slow.

But yeah this sort of needs to get fixed.

Also, even though Gliscor is a great SDer, the biggest perks to using him is as a wall for Dory and friends. It just doesn't feel right to have SD leading the set on a Pokemon designed for Defense. Too bad we don't have any stats to go off of for the order :/

It would be viable, seeing as thief w/ lefties + the current toxic orb recovers sooooo much hp. Interesting set, and it could be useful.

I came up with that gimmicky ides months ago. The downsides are A) Using Thief makes Acrobatics go back down to 55 BP, meaning you can't use its best STAB with this set and B) your enemy needs to have Leftovers. Granted most teams have a few mon with Leftovers but still, it's not a guarantee.

The sets up are fine, though I think this should have been QC'd after he finished with all the other sections.

And for the Thief matter, you can just keep on Flinging, but you'd have to run only attacking moves (his two STABs, Fling, and Thief), but who'd do that? I guess if you don't need Acrobat, then Thief could be a mentionable move, but I personally don't think it would be worth it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)