Golem (OU Revamp) [QC 2/2, GP 2/2]

[OVERVIEW]
As a Rock-type with access to Roar, Golem is capable of fulfilling the important role of a Normal-resistant phazer for its team while also offering an excellent utility in Rapid Spin and an offensive presence with Explosion. While other Normal-type answers such as Steelix, Rhydon, and Forretress offer some of these traits, Golem is alone in its ability to do all three at once, giving it a unique niche and making it a solid friend you can count on.

[SET]
name: Rapid Spin
move 1: Earthquake
move 2: Rapid Spin
move 3: Explosion
move 4: Roar / Fire Blast
item: Leftovers

[SET COMMENTS]
Set Description
=========
The main reason to use Golem instead of similar Pokemon such as Rhydon and Steelix is its access to Rapid Spin, which it can use to give your team the all-important advantage of removing Spikes. Golem's resistance to Snorlax's Normal-type attacks allows it to find opportunities to switch in, and its ability to OHKO Gengar with STAB Earthquake makes it very difficult for the opponent to block Rapid Spin, as even Misdreavus, which takes neutral damage from it, is still 2HKOed after Spikes. Sadly, a healthy Cloyster has little to fear from Golem and can just switch in, forcing it out by threatening it with Surf or Ice Beam; Cloyster can then use Spikes again and Golem will need to find another opportunity to remove them later on. Forretress needs to worry about a possible Fire Blast but can otherwise threaten Golem with either Giga Drain or Toxic. Due to this, it can be helpful to hide Golem until Cloyster and Forretress are afflicted with status or weakened to make it more difficult for the opponent to get their Spikes back onto the field once Golem has spun them away.

Explosion is generally a very strong move in GSC and that is no exception for Golem. The threat of spinning Spikes away with no consequences can lead to your opponent deciding to pressure Golem more aggressively. Potentially, if you deem Golem no longer needed for defensive purposes, this can allow you to surprise your opponent with a less expected Explosion and take out huge threats like Zapdos using Hidden Power Ice or Snorlax wanting to use Earthquake. Doing this prematurely, however, can leave you vulnerable to other threats that Golem previously could have checked.

Roar is the most common fourth move, allowing Golem to fulfill the key defensive role of checking Snorlax, although it must watch out for Earthquake and Mean Look trappers. Roar also provides Golem with the ability to pressure the opposing team by racking up Spikes damage, especially against more defensive teams, which tend to have fewer Pokemon that threaten Golem. If you don't need another phazing move for your team, Fire Blast is a good alternative to prevent Forretress from switching in or even KOing it should the opponent play carelessly, as well as offering coverage for Skarmory and Exeggutor.

Team Options
========
Unlike Starmie or Tentacruel, Golem is terrible at checking most Spikes users, so Pokemon that can lure them like Snorlax with Thunder for Cloyster or Fire Blast or Flamethrower for Forretress are good partners. Your own Cloyster can help to weaken the opposing Cloyster or Forretress with Toxic and Surf, respectively, so that it is more difficult for them to use Spikes a second time later in the game. In most cases the opponent's Spikes setter must be removed or severely weakened because otherwise, the opponent is likely to set them up again.
Rapid Spin Golem does not handle Hidden Power Ice Electric-types particularly well, having neither the Steel typing of Steelix nor the powerful Rock Slide that Rhydon has to threaten Zapdos. Due to that, on defensive teams, Golem is often used in combination with Raikou, which can safely switch into any Electric-type, and Skarmory, which covers the Ground-type weakness that the other two have. As a Ground-type with access to Thunder and Lovely Kiss, Nidoking is not handled well by that core, so an additional Pokemon like Sleep Talk Snorlax, Suicune, Vaporeon, or Heracross is recommended.
Golem is less commonly used on very offensive teams, but if it is they usually try to ensure that many team members have a decent matchup versus Electric-types or can take them out with Explosion.

[SET]
name: Curse
move 2: Rock Slide
move 4: Curse

[SET COMMENTS]
Set Description
=========
This set is way less common than the previous one and faces tough competition from Rhydon, which has a higher Attack stat and more physical bulk but doesn't learn Explosion. Earthquake and Rock Slide are the strongest STAB moves Golem has in its repertoire. Explosion can take out Pokemon when Golem doesn't have other options to beat them. Curse helps Golem stand its ground against Curse Snorlax and can also give it the needed Attack boost to ensure that Explosion OHKOes some Pokemon.
Due to not using Roar, this set gets utterly walled by Curse Skarmory, and it might also be forced to use Explosion earlier against Curse Snorlax.

Team Options
========
With Explosion, Golem can pave the way for other sweepers like Charizard by removing Water-types. Because it is rather slow itself, Pokemon that offer paralysis support such as Stun Spore Exeggutor or Body Slam Snorlax are good teammates.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============
Flamethrower functions just like Fire Blast but has 100% accuracy and more PP in exchange for less power. Hidden Power Rock can be used in the fourth slot to hit Zapdos super effectively but still fails to 2HKO it reliably. Note that Rock Slide and Rapid Spin cannot be used on the same set. Counter, which works against all Hidden Power types in this generation, is also incompatible with Rapid Spin but can be a decent surprise option. Toxic is an option to make checking Golem with Cloyster more difficult for the opponent in the long run, but this would make Golem a much worse check for Curse Snorlax due to not having Roar and forcing it to use Explosion sooner rather than later. A four attack set of Earthquake, Explosion, Body Slam, and Fire Blast or Rock Slide is another alternative.

Checks and Counters
===================
**Cloyster**: With its high Defense stat, Cloyster has not much to fear from Golem, forces it out with the threat of Surf, and puts Spikes right back up after Golem removes them.

**Exeggutor**: Exeggutor resists Earthquake, is only 3HKOed by Fire Blast should Golem have it, and can threaten Golem with Giga Drain, Psychic, or Sleep Powder.

**Heracross**: Heracross resists Earthquake and has a chance to avoid the 3HKO from Fire Blast; in return, it can threaten Golem with Megahorn, Seismic Toss, or even the less common Earthquake.

**Zapdos**: Should Golem not have Rock Slide or Hidden Power Rock, the only thing Zapdos has to fear is Explosion, while in return it can pressure Golem with Hidden Power Ice or even Hidden Power Water or Grass.

**Skarmory**: Skarmory can help wear Golem down with Toxic or by stealing its Leftovers with Thief. In the absence of those moves, it can at least prevent it from doing much damage with its Explosion—just be careful of Fire Blast variants.

**Water-type Pokemon**: Suicune, Vaporeon, and Starmie can threaten an OHKO with Surf.

**Miltank and Umbreon**: Miltank and Umbreon can stall or afflict status on Golem, but Explosion might KO them.

[CREDITS]
- Written by: [[FriendOfMrGolem120, 424525]]
- Quality checked by: [[Lavos, 129513], [Earthworm, 15210]]
- Grammar checked by: [[The Dutch Plumberjack, 232216], [deetah, 297659]]

Last edited by a moderator:

Jorgen

World's Strongest Fairy
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I had thought coverage was standard, rather than optional, on the first set, with roar and rapid spin being slashed with one another. The idea being that Golem is the offensive support poke, so it should run coverage to generate offensive pressure against the likes of Skarmory/Egg. Fblast even gives it something meaningful against Cloyster: 32-37% is not chump change. I recognize, however, that having both support moves can be convenient.

I talked with some GSCers previously whether they think Fire Blast should even be slashed on the main set or be pu into OO and the result is rather even currently (3 for slashed on main which was also my vote/2 for OO). Fire Blast can be hard to fit on it since it usually means that your team has another phazer. I wouldn't be that opposed to dropping it though.
In the current metagame the access to Spin is where most people see the appeal in Golem so I definitely believe it should not be slashed with anything on the main set.

Lavos

Banned deucer.
I think this is about all you need for a Pokemon as simple as Golem. And I agree with keeping FB slashed on the Spin set. The only reason we've seen such a rise in Roar Golem usage is because people are trying to cram it onto hyper-offensive teams that rely far more on Explosion as a defensive option than phazing, but think they should include a phazing move somewhere so they aren't immediately forced to blow up multiple Pokemon the moment an enemy Snorlax clicks Curse.

I have never seen Curse Golem used in an official match but I suppose it has good stallbreaking potential and synergy with paralysis spam.

QC'd!

Last edited:
Initially I wanted to change something but now I decided to just put it back to QC with no further edits.
I honestly think that the Curse set might rather belong to OO but now that I've already written it, I might as well keep it.

Some comparisons with Pokemon that fill the niches of Normal resist / spinner might be useful to help people understand what they are getting / losing out on by choosing Golem.

One potential strategy with Cloyster and Golem is to aim to trade your Cloyster for the opposing one by taking advantage of the unpredictability of the Cloyster v Cloyster matchup, then spin away the Spikes to gain the advantage. I think it should be made more explicit that it is useful to try to ensure that the opposing Cloyster gets taken out or at least poisoned before Golem is revealed.

I think some of the flaws of the curse set/reasons it is not used often should be explained in the set comments (e.g. no Roar means it struggles against Curse Skarmory and is a bit more dangerous to use as a Snorlax check, Rhydon is much stronger but doesn't have Explosion, etc).

It would be good to explain in OO why some of the options are considered worse than the alternatives. e.g. HP Rock fails to 2hko Zapdos, Roar allows Golem to phaze a cursed up lax while replacing it with Toxic means Golem may be forced to boom.

Skarmory is listed as not walling Curse + Rock move Golem, but it usually can, unless it's a very unusual Curse Roar Golem or a very odd Skarmory set.

Some comparisons with Pokemon that fill the niches of Normal resist / spinner might be useful to help people understand what they are getting / losing out on by choosing Golem.
Will do.
One potential strategy with Cloyster and Golem is to aim to trade your Cloyster for the opposing one by taking advantage of the unpredictability of the Cloyster v Cloyster matchup, then spin away the Spikes to gain the advantage. I think it should be made more explicit that it is useful to try to ensure that the opposing Cloyster gets taken out or at least poisoned before Golem is revealed.
I tried to explain that in the Team Options section but maybe will try to emphasize it more there.
Because Golem is not good at checking most Spikes users, having other Pokemon that can lure them like Thunder or Fire Blast/Flamethrower-Snorlax for Cloyster and Forretress respectively are good partners. Your own Cloyster can also help to weaken the opposing Cloyster or Forretress with Toxic and Surf respectively so that it is more difficult for them to use Spikes a second time later in the game.
I think some of the flaws of the curse set/reasons it is not used often should be explained in the set comments (e.g. no Roar means it struggles against Curse Skarmory and is a bit more dangerous to use as a Snorlax check, Rhydon is much stronger but doesn't have Explosion, etc).
It would be good to explain in OO why some of the options are considered worse than the alternatives. e.g. HP Rock fails to 2hko Zapdos, Roar allows Golem to phaze a cursed up lax while replacing it with Toxic means Golem may be forced to boom.
Will do both.
Skarmory is listed as not walling Curse + Rock move Golem, but it usually can, unless it's a very unusual Curse Roar Golem or a very odd Skarmory set.
That was an oversight on my part, I will edit it.
Thanks for the suggestions. I will make another post once I have edited everything needed.

Earthworm suggested a more detailed overview which he wrote himself. I like it more than my previous one so just kept his version. Edit: he also suggested a few more lines for the set description.
Even though Golem is only occasionally used in GSC OU, it can be very effective on the right team. Its typing combined with the access to Explosion and Rapid Spin gives it a unique niche and makes it a solid friend you can count on.

Last edited:
Golem also takes more damage from physical attacks than Steelix does but resists fire attacks which can be helpful.
I'd just remove this line as it is out of place and not overly important to mention. If you were to mention the Fire resistance, I think it would be best located when talking about how Skarmory can make a good teammate.

This is now QC approved.

AMGP check
add remove/fix comments

(let me know if you have any questions!)
[OVERVIEW]
Being As a Rock-type with access to Roar, Golem is capable of fulfilling the important role of a Normal-type-resistant phazer for its team while also offering an excellent utility in Rapid Spin and an offensive presence with Explosion. While other Normal-type resists such as Steelix, Rhydon, and Forretress offer some of these traits, Golem is alone in its ability to do all three at once, giving it a unique niche and making it a solid friend you can count on.

[SET]
name: (remove a space here)Rapid Spin

(remove one line here)
[SET COMMENTS]
Set Description
=========
The main reason to use Golem instead of similar pokemon such as Rhydon or Steelix is its access to Rapid Spin, which it can use to give your team the all-important advantage in terms of of removing Spikes. (combined the two paragraphs) Resisting Normal-type attacks such as from Snorlax and the ability to OHKO Gengar with STAB Earthquake makes it very difficult for the opponent to block Rapid Spin as even Misdreavus, (AC) which takes neutral damage from it, (AC) is still 2HKOed after Spikes. Sadly, a healthy Cloyster has nothing to fear from it and can just switch in, (AC) force forcing Golem out with the threat of by threatening it with Surf or Ice Beam;(add) and Cloyster can then use Spikes again to gain momentum. Forretress needs to be worried worry about a possible Fire Blast but can otherwise also threatens it with either Giga Drain or Toxic. Due to this, it can be helpful to hide Golem until Cloyster and Forretress are inflicted with status or weakened to make it more difficult for the opponent to get their Spikes back onto the field once Golem has spun them away.
(linebreak)
Explosion is generally a very strong move in GSC and that is no exception for Golem it is no exception. The threat of spinning Spikes away with no consequences can lead to your opponent deciding to pressure Golem more aggressively.(add),(RC) Potentially,(add) if you deem Golem no longer needed for defensive purposes, this can allowing you to surprise them your opponent with a less expected Explosion and take out huge threats for instance like Zapdos using Hp Hidden Power Ice or Snorlax wanting to use Earthquake if you deem Golem no longer needed for defensive purposes (This sentence was a run-on and ordered in a way where it was hard to parse, so I reordered for it to read more smoothly). Doing this prematurly, (AC) however, can leave yourself vulnerable to other threats that Golem previously could have checked however. Finding the right timing is key when using this strategy.
(linebreak)
Roar is the most common fourth move, allowing Golem to fulfill the key defensive role of checking Snorlax (although it must watch out for Earthquake) as well as and Mean Look trappers.(add),(RC) while Roar also providesing it Golem with the ability to pressure the opposing team through by racking up Spikes damage, especially against more defensive teams which tend to have fewer Pokemon that threaten Golem. If you don't need another phazing move for your team, Fire Blast is a good alternative to prevent Forretress from switching in or even KOko'ing it should the opponent play carelessly as well as offering coverage for Skarmory and Exeggutor.

(remove one line here)
Team Options
========
Because Unlike Starmie or Tentacruel, Golem is terrible at checking most Spikes users, so having other Pokemon that can lure them like Thunder or Fire Blast/Flamethrower-Snorlax for Cloyster and Forretress respectively are good partners. Your own Cloyster can also help to weaken the opposing Cloyster or Forretress with Toxic and Surf respectively so that it is more difficult for them to use Spikes a second time later in the game. In most cases the opponent's Spikes setter must be removed or severely weakened as because otherwise the opponent is likely to set them up again. Rapid Spin Golem does not handle Hidden Power Ice Electric-types particularly well, having neither the Steel-type ing of Steelix nor the powerful Rock Slide that Rhydon has to threaten Zapdos. Due to that, on defensive teams, (AC) Golem is often used in combination with Raikou which can safely switch into any Electric-type, and Skarmory which covers the Ground-type weakness that the other two have. As a Ground-type with access to Thunder and Lovely Kiss, Nidoking is not handled well by that core, (AC) yet and so an additional Pokemon like Sleep (add space) Talk Snorlax, Suicune, Vaporeon, (AC) or Heracross are is recommended. Golem is less commonly used on very offensive teams, (AC) but if it is, (RC) they usually try to ensure that many team members have a decent matchup vs Electric-types or can take them out with Explosion.
(combined the three paragraphs)

[SET]
name: (remove a space here)Curse

(remove one line here)
[SET COMMENTS]
Set Description
=========
This set is way less common than the previous one and is facing faces tough competition from Rhydon, (AC) which has a higher Attack stat and more physical bulk, (AC) but Rhydon doesn't learn Explosion. Earthquake and Rock Slide are the strongest STAB-moves Golem has in its repertoire. Explosion can take out Pokemon for which when Golem doesn't have other options to beat them. Curse helps Golem standing its ground against Pokemon such as (remove because Curse Snorlax is the only Pokemon you mentioned) Curse-(remove hyphen)Snorlax and can also give it the needed Attack boost to ensure that Explosion OHKOs some Pokemon. Due to not using Roar this set gets utterly walled by Skarmory and it might also be forced to explode earlier against a CurseLax.

Team Options
========
With Explosion Golem can pave the way by removing waters for other sweepers like Charizard. Because it is rather slow itself, Pokemon that offer paralysis support such as Stun Spore-(remove hyphen)Exeggutor or Body Slam-(remove hyphen)Snorlax are good team(remove space)mates.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============
Flamethrower funtions just like Fire Blast but has 100% accuracy and more pp PP in exchange for less power. HpRock Hidden Power Rock can be used in the 4th slot to hurt hit Zapdos super effectively but still fails to 2HKO it reliably. Note that Rock Slide and Rapid Spin can not be on the name set. Counter, which works against all Hidden Powers in this generation, is also incompatible with Rapid Spin but can be a decent surprise option. Toxic is an option to make checking Golem with Cloyster more difficult for the opponent in the long run, (AC) but this would make Golem a much worse check for CurseLax due to not having Roar and forces forcing it to explode rather sooner rather than later. A 4 attack set (Earthquake, Explosion, Body Slam, Fire Blast / Rock Slide) is another alternative.
(consolidated all into one paragraph)

Checks and Counters
===================
**Cloyster**: With its high Defense stat, Cloyster has not much to fear from Golem, forces it out with the threat of Surf, (AC) and puts Spikes right back up after Golem removeds them.

**Exeggutor**: Exeggutor resists Earthquake, is only 3HKOed by Fire Blast should Golem have it, (AC) and can threaten it Golem with Giga Drain or Sleep Powder.

**Heracross**: Heracross resists Earthquake, (RC) and it is a damage roll to 3HKO it with Fire Blast;(add) and it can threaten Golem with Megahorn, (AC) or even Seismic Toss, (AC) or even the less common Earthquake.

**Zapdos**: Should Golem not have Rock Slide or HpRock Hidden Power Rock, the only thing Zapdos has to fear is Explosion while it can pressure it with HpIce Hidden Power Ice or even Hidden Power Water/Grass.

**Skarmory**: Skarmory can help wear Golem down with Toxic or by stealing its Leftovers with Thief.(add),(RC) or In the absence of those moves, it can at least prevent it from doing much damage with its Explosion -- just be careful of Fire Blast variants.

**Water-type Pokemon**: Suicune, Vaporeon, (AC) and Starmie can threaten an OHKO with Surf.

**Miltank/Umbreon**: They can stall and/or status Golem but Explosion might KO them.

[CREDITS]
- Written by: [[FriendOfMrGolem120]]
- Quality checked by: [[Lavos], [Earthworm]]
- Grammar checked by: [[, ], [, ]]

Last edited:
Thanks Excal. I implemented all changes but don't really like one line now:
Cloyster can then use Spikes again to gain momentum
Cloyster doesn't gain momentum that way. It is rather the opponent who gets the momentum by being able to switch to any pokemon while Cloyster relays the Spikes.
I would like to rephrase it to "Sadly, a healthy Cloyster has nothing to fear from it and can just switch in, forcing Golem out by threatening it with Surf or Ice Beam; Cloyster can then use Spikes again making it difficult for Golem to help with the progress of the game." or something along those lines.

Following a suggestion of Earthworm I changed "Sadly, a healthy Cloyster has nothing to fear from it" to "little to fear from it".
He also suggested something like "Golem will need to find another opportunity to remove spikes later on" as alternative to "making it difficult for Golem to help with the progress of the game ".

Following a suggestion of Earthworm I changed "Sadly, a healthy Cloyster has nothing to fear from it" to "little to fear from it".
He also suggested something like "Golem will need to find another opportunity to remove spikes later on" as alternative to "making it difficult for Golem to help with the progress of the game ".
That was the one line I found the most difficult to try to adjust. I think Earthworm's suggestion there works perfectly.

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
remove add / fix (comments); (AC=add comma; RC=remove comma; SC=semicolon)
GP 1/2
[OVERVIEW]
As a Rock-type with access to Roar, Golem is capable of fulfilling the important role of a Normal-type-resistant Normal-resistant phazer for its team while also offering an excellent utility in Rapid Spin and an offensive presence with Explosion. While other Normal-type-resists answers such as Steelix, Rhydon, and Forretress offer some of these traits, Golem is alone in its ability to do all three at once, giving it a unique niche and making it a solid friend you can count on.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Set Description
=========
The main reason to use Golem instead of similar pokemon such as Rhydon or Steelix is its access to Rapid Spin, which it can use to give your team the all-important advantage of removing Spikes. Resisting Normal-type attacks from Snorlax and the ability to OHKO Gengar with STAB Earthquake makes it very difficult for the opponent to block Rapid Spin, (AC) as even Misdreavus, which takes neutral damage from it, is still 2HKOed after Spikes. Sadly, a healthy Cloyster has little to fear from it Golem and can just switch in, forcing Golem it out by threatening it with Surf or Ice Beam; Cloyster can then use Spikes again, (AC) and Golem will need to find another opportunity to remove them later on. Forretress needs to worry about a possible Fire Blast but can otherwise threaten it Golem with either Giga Drain or Toxic. Due to this, it can be helpful to hide Golem until Cloyster and Forretress are inflicted with status or weakened to make it more difficult for the opponent to get their Spikes back onto the field once Golem has spun them away.

Explosion is generally a very strong move in GSC, (AC) and that is no exception for Golem. The threat of spinning Spikes away with no consequences can lead to your opponent deciding to pressure Golem more aggressively. Potentially, if you deem Golem no longer needed for defensive purposes, this can allow you to surprise your opponent with a less expected Explosion and take out huge threats like Zapdos using Hidden Power Ice or Snorlax wanting to use Earthquake. Doing this prematurly prematurely, however, can leave you vulnerable to other threats that Golem previously could have checked however. Finding the right timing is key when using this strategy. (redundant)

Roar is the most common fourth move, allowing Golem to fulfill the key defensive role of checking Snorlax (although it must watch out for Earthquake) and Mean Look trappers. Roar also provides Golem with the ability to pressure the opposing team by racking up Spikes damage, especially against more defensive teams, (AC) which tend to have fewer Pokemon that threaten Golem. If you don't need another phazing move for your team, Fire Blast is a good alternative to prevent Forretress from switching in or even KOing it should the opponent play carelessly, (AC) as well as offering coverage for Skarmory and Exeggutor.

Team Options
========
Unlike Starmie or Tentacruel, Golem is terrible at checking most Spikes users, so having other Pokemon that can lure them like Snorlax with Thunder for Cloyster or Fire Blast or Flamethrower Snorlax for Cloyster and Forretress respectively are good partners. Your own Cloyster can help to weaken the opposing Cloyster or Forretress with Toxic and Surf, (AC) respectively, (AC) so that it is more difficult for them to use Spikes a second time later in the game. In most cases the opponent's Spikes setter must be removed or severely weakened because otherwise the opponent is likely to set them up again. Rapid Spin Golem does not handle Hidden Power Ice Electric-types particularly well, having neither the Steel-type Steel typing of Steelix nor the powerful Rock Slide that Rhydon has to threaten Zapdos. Due to that, on defensive teams, Golem is often used in combination with Raikou, (AC) which can safely switch into any Electric-type, and Skarmory, (AC) which covers the Ground-type weakness that the other two have. As a Ground-type with access to Thunder and Lovely Kiss, Nidoking is not handled well by that core, so an additional Pokemon like Sleep Talk Snorlax, Suicune, Vaporeon, or Heracross is recommended. Golem is less commonly used on very offensive teams, but if it is, (AC) they usually try to ensure that many team members have a decent matchup vs versus Electric-types or can take them out with Explosion.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Set Description
=========
This set is way less common than the previous one and faces tough competition from Rhydon, which has a higher Attack stat and more physical bulk (RC) but Rhydon doesn't learn Explosion. Earthquake and Rock Slide are the strongest STAB moves (RH) Golem has in its repertoire. Explosion can take out Pokemon when Golem doesn't have other options to beat them. Curse helps Golem stand its ground against Curse Snorlax and can also give it the needed attack boost to ensure that Explosion OHKOs some Pokemon. Due to not using Roar, (AC) this set gets utterly walled by Skarmory, (AC) and it might also be forced to explode use Explosion earlier against CurseLax.

Team Options
========
With Explosion, (AC) Golem can pave the way by removing waters for other sweepers like Charizard by removing other Water-types. Because it is rather slow itself, Pokemon that offer paralysis support such as Stun Spore Exeggutor or Body Slam Snorlax are good teammates.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============
Flamethrower funtions just like Fire Blast but has 100% accuracy and more PP in exchange for less power. Hidden Power Rock can be used in the 4th slot to hit Zapdos super effectively but still fails to 2HKO it reliably. Note that Rock Slide and Rapid Spin can not cannot be used on the name set. Counter, which works against all Hidden Powers in this generation, is also incompatible with Rapid Spin but can be a decent surprise option. Toxic is an option to make checking Golem with Cloyster more difficult for the opponent in the long run, but this would make Golem a much worse check for CurseLax due to not having Roar and forcing it to explode use Explosion sooner rather than later. A 4 attack set of Earthquake, Explosion, Body Slam, and Fire Blast or Rock Slide (remove parentheses) is another alternative.

Checks and Counters
===================
**Cloyster**: With its high Defense stat, Cloyster has not much to fear from Golem, forces it out with the threat of Surf, and puts Spikes right back up after Golem removes them.

**Exeggutor**: Exeggutor resists Earthquake, is only 3HKOed by Fire Blast should Golem have it, and can threaten Golem with Giga Drain or Sleep Powder.

**Heracross**: Heracross resists Earthquake and it is a damage roll to has a chance to avoid the 3HKO it with from Fire Blast; in return, it can threaten Golem with Megahorn, Seismic Toss, or even the less common Earthquake.

**Zapdos**: Should Golem not have Rock Slide or Hidden Power Rock, the only thing Zapdos has to fear is Explosion, (AC) while in return it can pressure it Golem with Hidden Power Ice or even Hidden Power Water or Grass.

**Skarmory**: Skarmory can help wear Golem down with Toxic or by stealing its Leftovers with Thief. In the absence of those moves, it can at least prevent it from doing much damage with its Explosion—just be careful of Fire Blast variants.

**Water-type Pokemon**: Suicune, Vaporeon, and Starmie can threaten an OHKO with Surf.

**Miltank and Umbreon**: They Miltank and Umbreon can stall and/or status Golem, (AC) but Explosion might KO them.

[CREDITS] (add userids here too)
- Written by: [[FriendOfMrGolem120]]
- Quality checked by: [[Lavos], [Earthworm]]
- Grammar checked by: [[, ], [, ]]

deetah

Delicate as silk
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris an Artistis a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributor
GP & SocMed Lead
Add Remove Comments (AC) = Add Comma

GP 2/2

shinxstamp.gif

[OVERVIEW]
As a Rock-type with access to Roar, Golem is capable of fulfilling the important role of a Normal-resistant phazer for its team while also offering an excellent utility in Rapid Spin and an offensive presence with Explosion. While other Normal-type-answers Normal-type answers such as Steelix, Rhydon, and Forretress offer some of these traits, Golem is alone in its ability to do all three at once, giving it a unique niche and making it a solid friend you can count on.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Set Description
=========
The main reason to use Golem instead of similar Pokemon such as Rhydon or and Steelix is its access to Rapid Spin, which it can use to give your team the all-important advantage of removing Spikes. Resisting Normal-type attacks from Snorlax and the ability to OHKO Gengar with STAB Earthquake makes it very difficult for the opponent to block Rapid Spin, (AC) as even Misdreavus, which takes neutral damage from it, is still 2HKOed after Spikes. Sadly, a healthy Cloyster has little to fear from Golem and can just switch in, forcing it out by threatening it with Surf or Ice Beam; Cloyster can then use Spikes again and Golem will need to find another opportunity to remove them later on. Forretress needs to worry about a possible Fire Blast but can otherwise threaten Golem with either Giga Drain or Toxic. Due to this, it can be helpful to hide Golem until Cloyster and Forretress are inflicted afflicted with status or weakened to make it more difficult for the opponent to get their Spikes back onto the field once Golem has spun them away.

Explosion is generally a very strong move in GSC and that is no exception for Golem. The threat of spinning Spikes away with no consequences can lead to your opponent deciding to pressure Golem more aggressively. Potentially, if you deem Golem no longer needed for defensive purposes, this can allow you to surprise your opponent with a less expected Explosion and take out huge threats like Zapdos using Hidden Power Ice or Snorlax wanting to use Earthquake. Doing this prematurely, however, can leave you vulnerable to other threats that Golem previously could have checked.

Roar is the most common fourth move, allowing Golem to fulfill the key defensive role of checking Snorlax, (AC) (although it must watch out for Earthquake) (Remove the parenthesis) and Mean Look trappers. Roar also provides Golem with the ability to pressure the opposing team by racking up Spikes damage, especially against more defensive teams, which tend to have fewer Pokemon that threaten Golem. If you don't need another phazing move for your team, Fire Blast is a good alternative to prevent Forretress from switching in or even KOing it should the opponent play carelessly, (AC) as well as offering coverage for Skarmory and Exeggutor.

Team Options
========
Unlike Starmie or Tentacruel, Golem is terrible at checking most Spikes users, so having other Pokemon that can lure them like Snorlax with Thunder for Cloyster or Fire Blast or Flamethrower for Forretress are good partners. Your own Cloyster can help to weaken the opposing Cloyster or Forretress with Toxic and Surf, (AC) respectively, (AC) so that it is more difficult for them to use Spikes a second time later in the game. In most cases, (AC) the opponent's Spikes setter must be removed or severely weakened because otherwise, (AC) the opponent is likely to set them up again.
Rapid Spin Golem does not handle Hidden Power Ice Electric-types particularly well, having neither the Steel typing of Steelix nor the powerful Rock Slide that Rhydon has to threaten Zapdos. Due to that, on defensive teams, Golem is often used in combination with Raikou, which can safely switch into any Electric-type, and Skarmory, which covers the Ground-type weakness that the other two have. As a Ground-type with access to Thunder and Lovely Kiss, Nidoking is not handled well by that core, so an additional Pokemon like Sleep Talk Snorlax, Suicune, Vaporeon, or Heracross is recommended.
Golem is less commonly used on very offensive teams, but if it is they usually try to ensure that many team members have a decent matchup versus Electric-types or can take them out with Explosion.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Set Description
=========
This set is way less common than the previous one and faces tough competition from Rhydon, which has a higher Attack stat and more physical bulk but doesn't learn Explosion. Earthquake and Rock Slide are the strongest STAB moves Golem has in its repertoire. Explosion can take out Pokemon when Golem doesn't have other options to beat them. Curse helps Golem stand its ground against Curse Snorlax and can also give it the needed Attack boost to ensure that Explosion OHKOes some Pokemon.
Due to not using Roar, this set gets utterly walled by Skarmory, and it might also be forced to use Explosion earlier against CurseLax Curse Snorlax.

Team Options
========
With Explosion, Golem can pave the way for other sweepers like Charizard by removing other Water-types. Because it is rather slow itself, Pokemon that offer paralysis support such as Stun Spore Exeggutor or Body Slam Snorlax are good teammates.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============
Flamethrower funtions functions just like Fire Blast but has 100% accuracy and more PP in exchange for less power. Hidden Power Rock can be used in the 4th slot to hit Zapdos super effectively but still fails to 2HKO it reliably. Note that Rock Slide and Rapid Spin cannot be used on the name same set. Counter, which works against all Hidden Powers Power types in this generation, is also incompatible with Rapid Spin but can be a decent surprise option. Toxic is an option to make checking Golem with Cloyster more difficult for the opponent in the long run, but this would make Golem a much worse check for CurseLax Curse Snorlax due to not having Roar and forcing it to use Explosion sooner rather than later. A 4 four attack set of Earthquake, Explosion, Body Slam, and Fire Blast or Rock Slide is another alternative.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Exeggutor**: Exeggutor resists Earthquake, is only 3HKOed by Fire Blast should Golem have it, and can threaten Golem with Giga Drain or Sleep Powder.

**Heracross**: Heracross resists Earthquake and has a chance to avoid the 3HKO from Fire Blast; in return, it can threaten Golem with Megahorn, Seismic Toss, or even the less common Earthquake.

**Zapdos**: Should Golem not have Rock Slide or Hidden Power Rock, the only thing Zapdos has to fear is Explosion, while in return it can pressure Golem with Hidden Power Ice or even Hidden Power Water or Grass.

**Skarmory**: Skarmory can help wear Golem down with Toxic or by stealing its Leftovers with Thief. In the absence of those moves, it can at least prevent it from doing much damage with its Explosion — just be careful of Fire Blast variants.

**Miltank and Umbreon**: Miltank and Umbreon can stall and/or afflict status on Golem, but Explosion might KO them.

[CREDITS]
- Written by: [[FriendOfMrGolem120, 424525]]
- Quality checked by: [[Lavos, 129513], [Earthworm, 15210]]
- Grammar checked by: [[The Dutch Plumberjack, 232216], [, ]]

Last edited:

deetah

Delicate as silk
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris an Artistis a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributor
GP & SocMed Lead
Applied everything but I am not sure if some changes were necessary. To quote this post

I also thought CurseLax would be accepted in GSC since that is exactly how the set in the Snorlax analysis is called.
I talked with another GPer and they said that CurseLax is fine in past gens, I only broke it up because in other generations it would be broken up and that is how I was taught, so that is my mistake. As for the status thing, I changed it to a way that I thought sounded better, but you can keep the original if you so prefer. Apologies for the confusion.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)