Other Good Cores

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still say that Keldeo deserves to be in OU over some other pokes (lookin' at you Infernape) but at least UU currently has Celebi and Jellicent to manage it.

I don't really face alot of Greninja's with Extrasensory, most carry just the basic set. And I usually add AV T-tar to support this core but I guess I should have mentioned that in the original post.
Well, remember that I also have a Conkeldurr for stuff like TTar, so there's that going. There's a lot of stuff that certain teams can't be prepared for.

Well, remember that I also have a Conkeldurr for stuff like TTar, so there's that going. There's a lot of stuff that certain teams can't be prepared for.
Talon comes to mind as an aid for this, since if you are Adamant, max Attack and Life Orb/Choice Band you can bait it in and U-Turn for ~40% minimum, not to mention the hazard control you probably have to use in some form (defog or rapid spin, whatever floats your boat) for pinsir works nicely with Talon. I'd also recommend Icy Wind on the Keldeo, since you can use it for slowing things down on the switch (example, you can bait a dragon, then make it slower than you and KO it).

Here's a pretty good core that I've come up with:

Ferrothorn @ Rocky Helmet
Iron Barbs
Relaxed 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
-Stealth Rock
-Leech Seed
-Gyro Ball
-Power Whip

Tentacruel @ Assault Vest
Liquid Ooze
Bold 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
-Rapid Spin
-Knock Off
-Scald
-Sludge Bomb

Latias @ Leftovers
Levitate
Calm 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
-Wish
-Protect
-Roar
-Dragon Pulse

Ferrothorns Fire and Fighting weaknesses are both resisted by Tentacruel and Latias. Tentacruels weakness of Electric, Ground, and Psychic are resisted by Latias (who's immune to Ground), while Ferrothorn also resists Psychic and Electric while taking neutral damage to ground. Latias's weaknesses of Ice, Dragon, and Fairy are covered by Ferrothorn and Tentacruel, who can hit opposing Fairies with super-effective STAB moves.

Ferrothorn supports the team with Stealth Rock and Leech Seed, aiding it's fellow walls in recovery and wearing down the opposing Pokes. Tentacruel aids the team with Rapid Spin, removing pesky Rocks and Spikes. It also disrupts the opposing team with Knock Off, removing precious items, and spamming 30% status-inflicting damaging moves. Scald is spammed mainly against physical attackers, while Sludge Bomb is spammed mainly vs walls. Latias keeps the team healthy with Wish support and phases sweepers that try to set up.

This core is also very effective at absorbing status, even without Aromatherapy or Heal Bell support. Neither Ferrothorn nor Tentacruel can be Poisoned (which Latias appreciates). Latias and Tentacruel don't mind being Burned too much. It may lower their over-all longevity, but neither of them lose much in terms of offense and Latias still packs Wish. Ferrothorn doesn't mind being Paralyzed, as it's super slow anyway, and is also immune to Spore.

As you can see, this core has high bulk, great defensive typing coverage, utility, and status absorption, making it a highly effective and efficient core overall.

No I don't remember.
I can say that Conkeldurr is scared out by Mega-Pinsir but I don't want to make this be a pissing match on whose team can be beat who, so stop it. Beside this is an offensive core not the whole team and any failings it has can be remedied by other members. Sure your statement is true that not all teams can be prepared for everything but I'm just saying that not a whole lot of guys WALL this core, not team, CORE.

Oops, someone is still in the 200 days. Regice is a dated special which doesn't have the move pool to use an array of attacks. And Ice isn't a good defensive typing even in a metagame with a slightly nerfed Stealth Rock.
I might just delete that post for giving me so much pain. Bear in mind that I did not know how to play OU when I posted that, so take that with a grain of salt, or maybe a whole shaker of salt. I am in no way advocating that you use Regice in OU.

I've tested my Mega Venusaur / Heatran / Greninja core, and with Conk clearing away the Special walls and absorbing status, it works fairly well. However, it suffers from one problem, Talonflame. (Big surprise, stupid bird is ravaging the entire tier) Heatran resists both of Talonflame's STABs, but because I'm running the Offensive set as opposed to the Defensive set, a +2 Talonflame can easily 2HKO Heatran, and then proceed to rip apart everything else I have. Thankfully, I've found a solution for the bird.

Rotom-W @ Assault Vest
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 232 HP / 56 SpA / 220 Spe
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power Ice

It's no question, Rotom-W is easily one of the best Talonflame checks, second to only every Rock-type in the game. Sure, it takes even more damage from a +2 Brave Bird than Heatran does, but unlike Heatran, Rotom can fight back, and with the given EV Spread, OHKO most variants of Talonflame with Hydro Pump. Rotom-W also begins forming a VoltTurn core thanks to Volt Switch, and the first two Pokemon that come to mind for this core are Scizor and Genesect.

Scizor @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Superpower
- Knock Off

Genesect @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Download
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- U-turn
- Flamethrower
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt

Both of the Red Armored Insects have the same exact type synergy with the rest of the core, and make for wonderful Fire-type lures for Heatran to absorb an attack with Flash Fire. However, both play entirely different roles. Scizor makes for a powerful wall breaker and team supporter thanks to Knock Off, and can pick off opponents with its infamous Technician Bullet Punch. Genesect, on the other hand, is more of a speedy Special-based Mixed Attacker, and is an effective scout with the Choice Scarf equipped. I'll most likely use Scizor more, mainly because of Genesect's incoming banning to Ubers. Regardless, I'm liking the way this core is shaping up.

I'm sorry I'm constantly bombarding this thread with replies, but I got another idea for a core in UU.

Victini @ Life Orb / Expert Belt
Ability: Victory Star
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Blue Flare
- Focus Blast / Psyshock
- Thunder / Thunderbolt
- Glaciate

Whimsicott @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Stun Spore
- Moonblast
- Encore
- Leech Seed

Empoleon Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 248 HP / 44 Def / 216 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Defog
- Stealth Rock
- Roar

These three work fairly well together. Victini runs the rather surprising Special Attacking set, which catches plenty of things off guard. While the choice between power vs. accuracy is fairly obvious in Thunder and Thunderbolt, I'm having a hard time deciding between Psyshock for Chansey, (Even though it still does only 30%) and Focus Blast for... other things. Is Focus Blast even relevant, seeing as Tyranitar isn't even a problem in UU? Anyways, Glaciate takes care of the newly arrived Dragons in Haxorus and Hydreigon, as Glaciate negates their Choice Scarf boost, and does a significant amount of damage to them. Next we have Whimsicott, returning as the annoying puffball that she was in Gen V. Stun Spore, Encore, and Leech Seed, backed by Prankster, allow her to safely shut down any sweeper hoping to set up on the rest of the team. Moonblast, meanwhile, progressively chips away at the opponent, and has great coverage compared to Giga Drain. In addition, Whimsicott covers Victini's weaknesses to Water, Dark, and Ground, while Victini can cover her weaknesses to Fire, Ice, an Steel. Finally, there's Empoleon, who serves as the Defogger and Entry Hazard setter. Empoleon runs the more Specially Defensive set, to coincide with Whimsicott's Physical Defense, and his type synergy works very well with the rest of the core. The three weaknesses Empoleon has to Fighting, Ground, and Electric, are covered by Whimsicott, while Empoleon covers Whimsicott's weaknesses to Steel, Flying, Poison, and Ice, as well as taking care of Victini's weaknesses to Rock and Water. That Steel Nerf kinda hurts this core though, as Ghost-types can do some serious damage, even to Empoleon. Regardless, I'm pretty satisfied with this core. What do you guys think?

EDIT: I've had a bit of time to think about some powerful UU Fighting-Types that can deal with Chansey. Life Orb Keldeo 2HKOes with Secret Sword, and has good synergy with the rest of the core. Heracross also works well, being able to punch through Chansey with a Guts Close Combat. Mega Medicham can also 2HKO, but that increases my Ghost-type weakness. I was just about to consider Terrakion as well, but he's BL now.

Last edited:

Iron Barbs
-Stealth Rock
-Leech Seed
-Gyro Ball
-Power Whip

Liquid Ooze
-Rapid Spin
-Knock Off
-Scald
-Sludge Bomb

Latias @ Leftovers
Levitate
-Wish
-Protect
-Roar
-Dragon Pulse

Ferrothorns Fire and Fighting weaknesses are both resisted by Tentacruel and Latias. Tentacruels weakness of Electric, Ground, and Psychic are resisted by Latias (who's immune to Ground), while Ferrothorn also resists Psychic and Electric while taking neutral damage to ground. Latias's weaknesses of Ice, Dragon, and Fairy are covered by Ferrothorn and Tentacruel, who can hit opposing Fairies with super-effective STAB moves.

Ferrothorn supports the team with Stealth Rock and Leech Seed, aiding it's fellow walls in recovery and wearing down the opposing Pokes. Tentacruel aids the team with Rapid Spin, removing pesky Rocks and Spikes. It also disrupts the opposing team with Knock Off, removing precious items, and spamming 30% status-inflicting damaging moves. Scald is spammed mainly against physical attackers, while Sludge Bomb is spammed mainly vs walls. Latias keeps the team healthy with Wish support and phases sweepers that try to set up.

This core is also very effective at absorbing status, even without Aromatherapy or Heal Bell support. Neither Ferrothorn nor Tentacruel can be Poisoned (which Latias appreciates). Latias and Tentacruel don't mind being Burned too much. It may lower their over-all longevity, but neither of them lose much in terms of offense and Latias still packs Wish. Ferrothorn doesn't mind being Paralyzed, as it's super slow anyway, and is also immune to Spore.

As you can see, this core has high bulk, great defensive typing coverage, utility, and status absorption, making it a highly effective and efficient core overall.
I like this core, it looks really solid, especially that AV cruel, which never crossed my mind, and I really like that item.

What's your opinion on giving latias healing wish and/or Defog?

Healing comes in handy more often then not, giving sweepers a new set of legs to run havoc with and walls the extra energy they need to pull off their utility.

Defog also comes in more handy than rapid spin and can be an emergency hazard clearing button in case cruel bites the dust, especially since he has no recovery.

I'm relatively new to competitive battling but I've had some good success with this core

Venusaur - Mega
Giga Drain
Sludge Bomb
Earthquake
Synthesis
Ability: Thick Fat
Item: Venusaurite
Evs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Nature: Relaxed

Dragonite
Dragon Dance
Outrage
Extreme Speed
Fire Punch
Ability: Marvel Scale
Item: Lum Berry
Evs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Nature: Adamant
Don't you mean Multiscale? And what would Venusaur's ability be in it's normal form?

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 Spd
Impish Nature
- Defog / Spikes / Toxic
- Roost
- Whirlwind
- Brave Bird / Toxic

Tyranitar @ Tyranitarite / Assault Vest
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SDef
Sassy Nature
- Stealth Rock / Shadow Claw
- Pursuit
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake

These two work extremely well together. Skarmory sponges physical hits as well as ever, although the steel nerf does hurt it to some extent. Fortunately, Tyranitar makes an excellent special sponge while also being threatening in its own right. Tyranitarite is better overall for some extra physical bulk and punch, but AV works almost as well if you want the mega slot elsewhere. Skarmory loves Sandstorm, too.

The one major hole here is Fighting moves, especially Special Fighting sweepers.

Venusaur's ability doesn't matter, as it will be spending all of its time mega evolved.
Not true. If it's chlorophyll and he's in the sun that's certainly gonna help Venusaur turn one. As a matter of fact, you can use that to check Charizard-Y with HP Rock, or Latios with 4 speed EV's even with a Sassy nature with Knock Off.

Iron Barbs
-Stealth Rock
-Leech Seed
-Gyro Ball
-Power Whip

Liquid Ooze
-Rapid Spin
-Knock Off
-Scald
-Sludge Bomb

Latias @ Leftovers
Levitate
-Wish
-Protect
-Roar
-Dragon Pulse

This core looks pretty awesome, but perhaps you could explain how you handle CharX? It would seem Latias and Ferrothorn get crushed by it and I'd think it would take a lot of damage before Tentacruel could finish him.

Not true. If it's chlorophyll and he's in the sun that's certainly gonna help Venusaur turn one. As a matter of fact, you can use that to check Charizard-Y with HP Rock, or Latios with 4 speed EV's even with a Sassy nature with Knock Off.
Doesn't matter is an understatement on my part; sun is much less common and the nerf makes it harder to abuse it; but its a defensive core, why the hell would it attempt something like that?

This core looks pretty awesome, but perhaps you could explain how you handle CharX? It would seem Latias and Ferrothorn get crushed by it and I'd think it would take a lot of damage before Tentacruel could finish him.
Tbh, the core doesn't handle CharX very well, but what core does? Flare Blitz and Outrage OHKO and 2HKO like everything in the Meta right now. Heatran and Tyranitar are also prett moot since it usually runs Earthquake or Brick Break for coverage, and if it doesn't, it's running Roost so trying to wear it down isn't effective either. Tbh, my anti-CharX plan consists of letting it smash into Ferrothorn with a Flare Blitz, lose 50%+ of its health, and then taking it out with the Banded Talonflame or Azumaril I typically run with the core.

LoDart210: I don't really know how I feel about Healing Wish. Right now I like Wish + Protect better. I could drop Rapid Spin on Tentacruel for Giga Drain then drop Roar on Latias for Defog.

LoDart210: I don't really know how I feel about Healing Wish. Right now I like Wish + Protect better. I could drop Rapid Spin on Tentacruel for Giga Drain then drop Roar on Latias for Defog.

I think it depends on how you play. I assume you play balanced (judging from 3 defensive mons one of which is AV'd making it more a tank), and I do as well but I lean more towards offense bringing in my defense mons only for a quick utility (clearing/setting up, healing, statusing, or even just as a pivot) and then switching to the appropriate offensive mon, which is why I play latias with Defog and healing wish.

I realize now you seem more defensive in which case your move sets make more sense now that I peruse them.

I think it depends on how you play. I assume you play balanced (judging from 3 defensive mons one of which is AV'd making it more if things go s tank), and I do as well but I lean more towards offense bringing in my defense mons only for a quick utility (clearing/setting up, healing, statusing, or even just as a pivot) and then switching to the appropriate offensive mon, which is why I play latias with Defog and healing wish.

I realize now you seem more defensive in which case your move sets make more sense now that I peruse them.
Yeah, I tend to play more balaced / defensive, so when I build a core I aim for longevity on top of utility. Dont get me wrong, I also like to run plenty of offensive threats, but if things go south, I want a durable defensive core to fall back on.

While we're on the topic of MegaZard X, it's worth noting that it's easy to revenge-kill with a Choice Scarfed Dragon / Ground / Rock-type, so Scarfed Latios, Garchomp, Terrakion, Landorus-I, and Salamence are all pretty nice checks to Zard X. (Not so much Mence, if Zard X has set up a Dragon Dance) Anyways, who's gonna bring us back to core discussing? I don't have anything as of now.

Last edited:
Hmmm.... Double dragon core! (Sorta kinda)

Entei @ assault vest
Adamant
132 HP/252 attack/124 special defense
-sacred fire
- bulldoze
- stone edge
- extreme speed

His role? Primarily to punch holes and burn things with sacred fire, slow down sweepers with bulldoze, hit anything that resists fire with stone, and pick off weakened Pokemon with speed

Next up!

88 HP/252 attack/168 speed

Jolly (if you run higher speed ev's you can run adamant, but the extra bulk is good)

Intimidate : if you want to set up easier

Moxie: if you think you can get a boost

-dragon dance
-waterfall
- ice fang
- earthquake

One dance against a team that withstood an onslaught from the volcano Pokemon is enough to clean up.

EDIT: oops sorry yes this is gyarados! Also, jolly is speed you need because you want to outspeed other base 80s-ish pokemon

It's a great duo that covers each other decently well.

Last edited:
One that's worked wonders for me so far...

Mandibuzz @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Nature: Bold
- Knock Off
- Foul Play
- Defog
- Roost

Conkeldurr @ Assault Vest
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 SpD
Nature: Adamant
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Ice Punch
- Knock Off

Florges @ Leftovers
Ability: Flower Veil
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 SpA
Nature: Calm
- Wish
- Protect
- Moonblast
- Toxic / Aromatherapy

Overall a very effective core. Mandibuzz is probably the best Talonflame counter at the moment and acts as a superb physical wall.

Mandibuzz is bothered by rocks, especially form Tyranitar as it won't be enjoying a stone edge, regardless of its defensive prowess. That's where Conkeldurr comes in, a fantastic anti-lead. Able to OHKO many variants of TTar, Mandibuzz is usually able to find a slot after TTar is down to Defog away rocks an roost back up.

Conkeldurr also counters Sableye leads reasonably well which are exceedingly common in Gen VI OU. None will appreciate a knock off, let alone a guts boosted one if they're silly enough to wisp, and Conk can often either force the switch or land a nice 2HKO.

Another common lead in Gen VI is Smeargle which loves to set up a myriad of hazards after its cheeky focus sash / spore combo. Mandibuzz puts a complete stop to this unless it's running a status move (which is rather rare). If this really bothers you though, Florges can run Aromatherapy.

That brings in Florges, a sturdy cleric on the special side who not only covers Mandibuzz's ice beam woes nicely but can also wish pass to a dented Conkeldurr (which is especially useful if guts has been activated and status has been chewing it's way through a good deal of sweeping). Florges can stall out a variety of threats and Moonblast allows it to get off some damage on opposing pokes who try their best to cause problems.

This forms a basic core but the other 3 slots in a team not only leaves room for a Mega (which opens up hundreds of doors) but also choice users, setup sweepers, hazard setters... I've used this core alongside countless mixes and matches and, while some perform better than others, this core provides a great platform. Mega Mawile works well, as it really doesn't care about Knock Off (these three do) and it also covers Mandi & Conk's fairy weaknesses. A Mega Manec / Lando T dual intimidate tactic also works well here, although it can compromise SpAttacking options.

Hope someone gives it a go!
I've been testing out this core, since I've had a bit of trouble building a team with mega-mawile. I really like it! What would you recommend for the other two slots? Also, would you say Sylveon is a better option than Florges?

I've been testing out this core, since I've had a bit of trouble building a team with mega-mawile. I really like it! What would you recommend for the other two slots? Also, would you say Sylveon is a better option than Florges?
yeah sylveon is better than florges especially at wish passing because it has 12 higher hp stat iirc. Another good poke for that core would be aegislash he synergizes well and he is just an overall very stong poke.

Specs Latios + Pursuit Sharp is a fucking awesome core. specs latios is walled by aegis unless I run shadow ball, and i'm running tbolt over shadow ball on it. pursuit sharp rapes aegis, OHKOing it. specsos is also walled by chansey, and bisharp can threaten to knock off its eviolite. the only thing that the core really can't handle is SkarmChans; I usually run something that can break this core when I utilize this sexy core on a team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)