Other Good Cores

Status
Not open for further replies.
im playing around with a few things, but im looking at (if I can get them! :P)
Tentacruel(spinner)
Zapdos (Special defense)
Any idead on a good physcal tank to compliment this?
I have been thinking Skarmory for the SR setup, but that leaves me 3 of my core weak to eq/stone endge combo

This will be complimented with a prankster sableye for some more support, and two sweapers on each side of the spectrum

Not sure if this has been mentioned but I think a Mega Aggron/Sylveon core would be rather good. Mega Aggron has a buttload of defense while Sylveon is better at tanking special attacks. Also Sylveon provides wish support to Aggron who otherwise with his mega stone has no form of reliable recovery

I'm thinking Sylveon and Ferrothorn will be my go-to defensive combo. Mega Alakazam can handle any rogue Ghost-type attacks and Sylveon appreciates the general nerfs made to Special Attackers.

My personal favorite core:

@Lucarionite

@mental herbs/Red card

Leftovers

The point of this core is for DeoD to lead and throw down a layer of SR and spikes

this allows Wobbufet to go in and encore a move that either Lucario resists, or is non-damaging (e.g. SR)

Adaptability swords dance is great for sweeping at this point.

Another potential addition maybe:

Tornadus/Talon Flame for the prio on TailWind.

Sticky web + hydreigon + perish song hypnosis gengar

I'm only posting this because gengar will be banned soon. Sticky web allows hydreigon to finally get past its speed problems. Gengar kills fairies weird sludge bomb, latis with shadowball, and special walls with perish trPping. Everything else dies to hydreigon

Last edited:
What hazard users were you thinking about for this core? And will Hydreigon actually be playable, even with Aegislash back-up, considering his extreme weakness to Fairy types?
Is Tyranitar playable considering his extreme weakness to Fighting? Is Scizor playable considering his extreme weakness to Fire? Are Garchomp, Salamence, and Dragonite playable considering their extreme weaknesses to Ice?

Just because there's a new type doesn't mean everyone who's weak to it has to retire.

Prepare to meet the Gen 6 version of Dragon Spam teams:

/

/

/

The ghosts will either spin block effortlessly or pursuit trap Fairys/Defensive cores of stall teams and break them down. CharX is an excellent choice for a physical Dragon since he can take on all Steels even under rain, while Dragonite still retains it's great qualities and movepool and can also deal with most steels as well. The last choice is a Draco Meteor spammin, SpA dragon, with a 110 Speed and ability to go bulky as well.

To build on this core you can add a spinner if you want, a hazard lead, more Dragons or even weather.

There's a huge difference between outclassed and unplayable though. The post I quoted seemed to suggest that the existence of Fairies renders Hydreigon unusable.

Besides, Hydreigon covers all of Aegislash's weaknesses defensively, while Kyeurem covers literally none of them, so that doesn't strike me as a great core defensively. Hydreigon also has levitate, which is especially useful when Earthquake is a physical attackers only hope against Aegislash.

Last edited:
I've come across an interesting duo on the random online ranked doubles: Togetic (I'm very positive it was holding Eviolite. If not, I would have been very confused, lol) + Mega-Absol.

Togetic uses Follow Me, Absol is free to do whatever the hell it wants, like Swords Dance boosting to high haven and then Sucker Punching whenever it wants. Togetic had Roost so it can live and spam Follow Me all it wants, and I'm pretty sure Togetic covers Absol's weaknesses, letting Absol frolic in the garden. Maybe it's just because of the completely unprepared team I went in with, but it seemed pretty dangerous once it got going - I had nothing to prepare for them (then again, this was my in game team lol, but they usually do pretty fine in these randoms so far). I'm pretty sure if I had a tank with Taunt I could have destroyed them, though.

Last edited:
I've been using a super gimmicky core of Wobbuffet+Ditto. Wobbu encourages setting up so Ditto can just come in nab free boosts.

Another one is Scizor+Garchomp. Scizor can deal with Fairies pretty easy for Garchomp, and Chomp can deal with Heatran, Jirachi etc that Scizor has problems with.

They aren't that good by themselves, but they're pretty fun to use.

Staraptor+Talonflame is neat but both are really susceptible to Rocks. With the popularity of Gengar as well, you'll have a really hard time spinning rocks away. You can't lead with them often too because I'm sure focus sash Galvantula+StickyWeb is going to get popular as well. It's tricky for sure.

My main advice to you is to run Flying Gem Acrobatics Talonflame you can deliver that initial 150 or so BP to clear the last of the counters out and continue to sweep with no worry about recoil.

So I was looking back as the Charizard thread, and it seems like Zard Y could be a really effective Wallbreaker with it's trapper set. It could nail special walls and bulky waters hard, allowing for something like Keldeo to come in.

Still new to this, so forgive me if I'm wrong.

M-Mawile + Salamence sounds really great to use.

Another Fairy+Steel core is Togekiss+Heatran, which have decent synergy in resistances and checks. Latios can fit here nicely too: it covers Electric and Water while Togekiss covers Dark and Dragon and Heatran covers Fairy and Ice.

Haruno

Skadi :)
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Galvantula + greninja. Though it'll probably need to be backed up by either an actual spinblocker that is innately ghost type or something that scares spinners

So, not sure really how well it would work, but what about Zorark + Aegislash with Zorark wanting to Illusion Aegis. I feel that a physical attacker set for Aegislash will be most common so Zorark can hit on the opposite side, resists 2 of the types that aegis is weak to, and has enough coverage and speed off a decent spA that he might actually be able to break a lot of Aegislashes counters leaving him open to sweep with a +2 shadow sneak.

With the release of Generation VI we have a new type and a slew of Pokemon with unusual type pairings and stat distributions. Given the material are there any new cores that a team can be built around?

One core I plan on testing is Hydreigon/Aegislash.

Their resistances pair up perfectly and they can easily remove each others counters. Give them some SR or sticky Web and you have a recipe for destruction.
I've been using Hydreigon w/ Aegislash and Sticky Web support for a few days now. Its fantastic.

What are the top 5 types that are important to resist? Dragon Fighting Rock Fairy and Water?
Most important to resist would be Ground, Dragon, Fire, Rock, Ice, Electric, and Water. Which of those 5 are the most important? I'd say Dragon, Ground, Rock, Fire and Ice, with Water's attacking presence declining with the nerf to weather.

I've been using Hydreigon w/ Aegislash and Sticky Web support for a few days now. Its fantastic.
I'm relatively new to competitive Pokemon, so forgive me if these questions are obvious, but...

Two questions:

1. Couldn't Dragonite replace Hydreigon in this situation, and actually be a better choice considering he has fewer type weaknesses?

2. Galvantula Lead with Sticky Web seems to be all the rage. Are there any other Leads you can think of that will stand up in this new meta? Or even more specifically, what other Leads could synergize well with this combo (Hydreigon/Dragonite + Aegislash)?

Thanks!

Edit -- Thought about my first question more, and came to two possible conclusions: The fact that Hydreigon has a higher base Speed, and so can out-speed more threats than Dragonite, or the fact that Hydreigon is a special sweeper, which compliments Aegislash's role as a physical sweeper better than having a second physical sweeper (Dragonite). Let me know if either of my conclusions were correct!

Last edited:
I'm relatively new to competitive Pokemon, so forgive me if these questions are obvious, but...

Two questions:

1. Couldn't Dragonite replace Hydreigon in this situation, and actually be a better choice considering he has fewer type weaknesses?

2. Galvantula Lead with Sticky Web seems to be all the rage. Are there any other Leads you can think of that will stand up in this new meta? Or even more specifically, what other Leads could synergize well with this combo (Hydreigon/Dragonite + Aegislash)?

Thanks!
A spinning Foretress might become a commonplace counter lead if Galvantula becomes super popular, having the advantage of being able to lay SR and spin, and there's basically no way for Galvantula to clear him off the field.

Last edited:
A spinning Foretress might become a commonplace counter lead if Galvantula becomes super popular, having the advantage of being able to lay SR and spin, and there's basically no way for Galvantula to clear him off the field.
Lol, thunder does 68% to 80%. Without an item (it should have a focus sash, though) Thats one of the coolest things about galavantula, it ohkos starmie and tentacrueal, and 2hkoes donphan and forretress. Once again, excadrill for OU!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)