Other Good Cores

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bealive that a good core whould be a Togetic with eviolite and Follow me. And for partner a M-absol , M-mawile or Aegishlash because Togetic will take the damage and the other with
two Swords Danse they will get + 4 Attack and with Shandow Sneak or Sucker Punch to KO almost anything with one move
You can also try Clefable with Follow me, who also has Magic Guard to absorb those "obvious" status moves like WoW, Toxic and such which imo seems a lil better than Togetic (despite the superior bulk Eviolite provides) because status moves will hurt Togetic unlike Clefable :3 Not saying Togetic is bad but I just think Clefable is also a viable option thats all c:

8-BIT Luster

Completely Unviable
I bealive that a good core whould be a Togetic with eviolite and Follow me. And for partner a M-absol , M-mawile or Aegishlash because Togetic will take the damage and the other with
two Swords Danse they will get + 4 Attack and with Shandow Sneak or Sucker Punch to KO almost anything with one move
A few things. I don't think that Togetic can take 3 hits in a triple/double battle, which is what this core would function in.
But I suppose you could run a strange max defenses set with Togetic for maximum bulk.
As Komaru stated, Clefable is probably a better option, as it has a better ability, and It can use that Cosmic Power on turns when you feel that your team can take a hit.
But yeah, looking at this, this core wouldn't actually be that bad. It resists each other's weaknesses, and hits hard as hell.
The one thing I would say is that the core is a little physically-oriented, but the more I look at this, the more I like it.
Mawile (Non-Mega) could carry Intimidate, adding a higher chance of survival with Togetic/Clefable, and Mega-Absol could reflect any status moves aimed at it. Of course, you can only pick one, but you know.

The Intimidate thing has now led me to another core I've been thinking of.

Either Gyarados and Mega-Manectric or Lando-T and MegaManectric.

The ManecDos core works well, as Gyarados is immune to MegaNec's weakness, and non-Mega Manectric has Lightningrod, granting in Immunity and a Special Attack boost whenever it's hit by Gyarados' biggest weakness.

Lando-T provides the same thing, with the sacrifice of getting LightningRod boosts, but with the benefit of having a VoltTurn core.

Hell, why not run all three? They don't share any weaknesses, and they offer great defensive and offensive benefits.

What would be a good core to build around Infernape? I threw him in as a placeholder for Mega Houndoom in my Houndoom/Azumarill/Gengar/Garchomp core, and he's been working well, dealing with Tyranitar and Blissey pretty easily. However, Infernape's synergy isn't quite as good as it is with Houndoom, so are there any suggestions you guys might have?

This is a really cool core;

Pinsir @ Pinsirite
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Return
- Earthquake
- Quick Attack

Kyurem-Black @ Leftovers
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 56 HP / 216 SAtk / 236 Spd
Mild Nature
- Substitute
- Fusion Bolt
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power

Mega pinsir is a very fearsome sweeper atm, because of powerful priority, sd, and having literaly 3-4 counters(Rotom-w, skarmory, Zapdos, donphan).
Kyurem b easily beats all of these, and gets a free sub up on most of them. this core almost always gets a m pinsir sweep if played properly

What would be a good core to build around Infernape? I threw him in as a placeholder for Mega Houndoom in my Houndoom/Azumarill/Gengar/Garchomp core, and he's been working well, dealing with Tyranitar and Blissey pretty easily. However, Infernape's synergy isn't quite as good as it is with Houndoom, so are there any suggestions you guys might have?
Defensive Gyarados w Assault Vest + Physically Defensive Ferrothorn + Special Choice Scarf is a great core I have been running with Infernape and allowed me to sweep with him late game consistently

Defensive Gyarados w Assault Vest + Physically Defensive Ferrothorn + Special Choice Scarf is a great core I have been running with Infernape and allowed me to sweep with him late game consistently
I'll consider that core... but what is the Special Choice Scarf user supposed to be?

This is a really cool core;

Pinsir @ Pinsirite
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Return
- Earthquake
- Quick Attack

Kyurem-Black @ Leftovers
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 56 HP / 216 SAtk / 236 Spd
Mild Nature
- Substitute
- Fusion Bolt
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power

Mega pinsir is a very fearsome sweeper atm, because of powerful priority, sd, and having literaly 3-4 counters(Rotom-w, skarmory, Zapdos, donphan).
Kyurem b easily beats all of these, and gets a free sub up on most of them. this core almost always gets a m pinsir sweep if played properly
This has been on my mind for days but I haven't been sure of giving Pinsir a team slot yet. I think I'll definitely try it now.

Edit: the main reason I was considering this was because M-Pinsir eats up Conk who gives Kyub problems.

I'll consider that core... but what is the Special Choice Scarf user supposed to be?

A specially based Scarf user that is. I used Choice Scarf'd Latios. Used to outspeed dangerous fast pokemon like greninja who can revenge kill Infernape with ease.

It also helps break down physical walls and help make sweeping with infernape easier. Personally I choose Latios because it has great Synergy with Ape resisting water and psychic moves. Infernape also helps Latios by getting rid of his 2 biggest threats Scizor and Tyranitar or using them as potential set up fodder on the switch (if you are running SD like I am)

You can also try Clefable with Follow me, who also has Magic Guard to absorb those "obvious" status moves like WoW, Toxic and such which imo seems a lil better than Togetic (despite the superior bulk Eviolite provides) because status moves will hurt Togetic unlike Clefable :3 Not saying Togetic is bad but I just think Clefable is also a viable option thats all c:[/quote
Thangs a lot i will try it when i get a clefable

Rotom-H has too many downfalls. One of which being its nasty rock weakness, and it shares that with Dragonite.

A specially based Scarf user that is. I used Choice Scarf'd Latios. Used to outspeed dangerous fast pokemon like greninja who can revenge kill Infernape with ease.

It also helps break down physical walls and help make sweeping with infernape easier. Personally I choose Latios because it has great Synergy with Ape resisting water and psychic moves. Infernape also helps Latios by getting rid of his 2 biggest threats Scizor and Tyranitar or using them as potential set up fodder on the switch (if you are running SD like I am)
I actually run Banded Infernape with U-turn, so he can form a dangerous VoltTurn core with Scarfed Rotom-W. The two nearly have perfect synergy with each other, with Psychic being the only weakness that goes unresisted.

I actually run Banded Infernape with U-turn, so he can form a dangerous VoltTurn core with Scarfed Rotom-W. The two nearly have perfect synergy with each other, with Psychic being the only weakness that goes unresisted.
Maybe add in Mandibuzz? She's immune to Psychic, Immune to Ground, Resists Grass (for Rotom W) and provides Defog support which really helps Infernapes survivability.

Came up with this weird VoltTurn core and looking for thoughts/opinions/suggestions.

Celebi @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SPDef / 4 SPAtk
Calm Nature
- Recover
- U-Turn
- Stealth Rock
- Giga Drain

Rotom-W @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SPAtk
Bold Nature
- Pain Split
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Thunder Wave

Infernape @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Hasty Nature
- Fire Blast
- Close Combat
- U-Turn
- Thunderpunch

Basically the point of this core as opposed to other VoltTurn cores I see is to spread status and set up rocks, while having Celebi absorb status headed towards Rotom/something else as an opportunity to get up rocks or recover. I originally wanted to have TWave on celebi and Will-o on Rotom but eh couldn't find room on Celebi and I figured Twave was the more important one. Infernape is pretty much to kill things and punish pokemon like Aegislash on the Swords Dance.

Thinking of changing Infernape to Life Orb but would appreciate some feedback first.

EDIT: Thinking of adding in a pokemon to counter SD Aegislash/Scizor who this core otherwise gets fucked by.

EDIT2: Added Scarf Infernape to kill steels and complete a FWG core.

Last edited:
One that's worked wonders for me so far...

Mandibuzz @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Nature: Bold
- Knock Off
- Foul Play
- Defog
- Roost

Conkeldurr @ Assault Vest
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 SpD
Nature: Adamant
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Ice Punch
- Knock Off

Florges @ Leftovers
Ability: Flower Veil
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 SpA
Nature: Calm
- Wish
- Protect
- Moonblast
- Toxic / Aromatherapy

Overall a very effective core. Mandibuzz is probably the best Talonflame counter at the moment and acts as a superb physical wall.

Mandibuzz is bothered by rocks, especially form Tyranitar as it won't be enjoying a stone edge, regardless of its defensive prowess. That's where Conkeldurr comes in, a fantastic anti-lead. Able to OHKO many variants of TTar, Mandibuzz is usually able to find a slot after TTar is down to Defog away rocks an roost back up.

Conkeldurr also counters Sableye leads reasonably well which are exceedingly common in Gen VI OU. None will appreciate a knock off, let alone a guts boosted one if they're silly enough to wisp, and Conk can often either force the switch or land a nice 2HKO.

Another common lead in Gen VI is Smeargle which loves to set up a myriad of hazards after its cheeky focus sash / spore combo. Mandibuzz puts a complete stop to this unless it's running a status move (which is rather rare). If this really bothers you though, Florges can run Aromatherapy.

That brings in Florges, a sturdy cleric on the special side who not only covers Mandibuzz's ice beam woes nicely but can also wish pass to a dented Conkeldurr (which is especially useful if guts has been activated and status has been chewing it's way through a good deal of sweeping). Florges can stall out a variety of threats and Moonblast allows it to get off some damage on opposing pokes who try their best to cause problems.

This forms a basic core but the other 3 slots in a team not only leaves room for a Mega (which opens up hundreds of doors) but also choice users, setup sweepers, hazard setters... I've used this core alongside countless mixes and matches and, while some perform better than others, this core provides a great platform. Mega Mawile works well, as it really doesn't care about Knock Off (these three do) and it also covers Mandi & Conk's fairy weaknesses. A Mega Manec / Lando T dual intimidate tactic also works well here, although it can compromise SpAttacking options.

Hope someone gives it a go!

Last edited:
Came up with this weird VoltTurn core and looking for thoughts/opinions/suggestions.

Celebi @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SPDef / 4 SPAtk
Calm Nature
- Recover
- U-Turn
- Stealth Rock
- Giga Drain

Rotom-W @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SPAtk
Bold Nature
- Pain Split
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Thunder Wave

Basically the point of this core as opposed to other VoltTurn cores I see is to spread status and set up rocks, while having Celebi absorb status headed towards Rotom/something else as an opportunity to get up rocks or recover. I originally wanted to have TWave on celebi and Will-o on Rotom but eh couldn't find room on Celebi and I figured Twave was the more important one.

EDIT: Thinking of adding in a pokemon to counter SD Aegislash/Scizor who this core otherwise gets fucked by.
Maybe try a Foul Player. Aegislash and Scizor both get wrecked by it :)

So my main core for today will be:

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Calm Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Shadow Ball
- Will-O-Wisp

Lucario-Mega @ Lucarionite
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Bullet Punch
- Extreme Speed
- Filler

So basically, in a lot of ways, Rotom-W covers Mega Lucario. Another good partner would probably be Gengar, but then VestDurr becomes a problem, personally I run this core alongside Talonflame and Gengar, it works really well so far, and it seems to be good. So I'm posting it here to show it off :3

Maybe try a Foul Player. Aegislash and Scizor both get wrecked by it :)
I was wondering if Sableye could work or maybe Mandibuzz, plus Sableye could give Will-o support, although in the end I decided this Infernape set would work well to kill Setup Steels as well as round off a FWG core.

Infernape @ Choice Scarf
Hasty Nature
- Fire Blast
- Close Combat
- U-Turn
- Thunderpunch

I run Hasty+Fire Blast over Flare Blitz to avoid King's Shield nerfs from Aegislash. Still OHKOs a lot of things Flare Blitz would and without recoil, so Infernape can live longer.

I'm thinking of changing the item to Life Orb or even possibly air balloon(to switch into Excadrill) due to the fact that my core prominently uses Thunder Wave but would appreciate some criticism or somethin first. In that case I would run Mach Punch or TPunch

Last edited:
That sounds like a good core really. especially with Defensive AV Gyarados and Defensive Ferrothorn. In that case Psychic doesnt go unchecked because of ferro

I was wondering if Sableye could work or maybe Mandibuzz, plus Sableye could give Will-o support, although in the end I decided this Infernape set would work well to kill Setup Steels as well as round off a FWG core.

Infernape @ Choice Scarf
Hasty Nature
- Fire Blast
- Close Combat
- U-Turn
- Thunderpunch

I run Hasty+Fire Blast over Flare Blitz to avoid King's Shield nerfs from Aegislash. Still OHKOs a lot of things Flare Blitz would and without recoil, so Infernape can live longer.

I'm thinking of changing the item to Life Orb or even possibly air balloon(to switch into Excadrill) due to the fact that my core prominently uses Thunder Wave but would appreciate some criticism or somethin first. In that case I would run Mach Punch or TPunch
If you're running U-turn Infernape, you may want to consider using Landorus-T for a double turn partnership. Lando-T switches into Excadrill no problem and if you're running scarf or band (which I would seriously recommend) you should pack Superpower, which can wipe out Excadrill no problem. You also get the intimidate to further discourage greedy EQers from staying in after they tried to take out your Infernape. If you really want to round the core off, one of Infernape's classic partners in crime is Rotom-W. This thing will take water type attacks that both Lando and Ape are weak to and can then proceed to either volt switch or cause some havoc with trick / will-o-wisp / pain split / hydro etc.

EDIT: Just saw you already have a Rotom-W on your core, which is good. Try out Landorus-T, I reckon it'll synergise very nicely with the rest of your team. Worth a try!

EDIT 2: This way you could swap the scarf from your Infernape over to Landorus-T and slap Ape a Life Orb instead.

Last edited:
+

The DragMag of Generation VI

It's so simple. But it's so effective. Banded Staraptor possesses the strongest Brave Bird in the entire game thanks to its base 120 attack and ability Reckless.
Rotom-W, Mega Ampharos, Tyranitar and Heatran are all counters to Talonflame. Staraptor tends to draw in these Pokemon and this is where the beauty happens. Brave Bird, Double Edge and Close Combat can easily dispose of the aforementioned defensive threats. Once these Brave Bird resist Pokemon are gone, Talonflame can easily clean late game with its STAB Flare Blitz and Brave Bird
May take out a poke or two but Staraptor won't enjoy taking a Foul Play from physically defensive Mandibuzz. Other than that, I've come up against this tactic in the past and it hurts like hell. Just have to watch for those quick electric attacks slamming Raptor on the switch.

If you're running U-turn Infernape, you may want to consider using Landorus-T for a double turn partnership. Lando-T switches into Excadrill no problem and if you're running scarf or band (which I would seriously recommend) you should pack Superpower, which can wipe out Excadrill no problem. You also get the intimidate to further discourage greedy EQers from staying in after they tried to take out your Infernape. If you really want to round the core off, one of Infernape's classic partners in crime is Rotom-W. This thing will take water type attacks that both Lando and Ape are weak to and can then proceed to either volt switch or cause some havoc with trick / will-o-wisp / pain split / hydro etc.

EDIT: Just saw you already have a Rotom-W on your core, which is good. Try out Landorus-T, I reckon it'll synergise very nicely with the rest of your team. Worth a try!

EDIT 2: This way you could swap the scarf from your Infernape over to Landorus-T and slap Ape a Life Orb instead.
The Lando-T idea sounds pretty effective actually, I'm gonna give it a shot. Don't want to have a teambuilding conversation in a cores thread though so that's enough though lol
Real quick though before you mentioned Landorus I was considering Donphan since he can spin stuff away without me having to more or less dedicate a teamslot for it. I'm probably leaning towards Landorus in this case to pose a more offensive threat but just figured it was worth mentioning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)