*Good* Creative / Unusual Moveset Thread

WhiteQueen

the queen bee
is a Tiering Contributorwon the 11th Official Smogon Tournamentis a Past SPL Champion
Azelf, Bronzong, Crobat, Cofagrius, Claydol, Cobalion, Bisharp, Darmanitan, Flygon, Froslass, Gligar (if i remember correctly) with SR damage probably, Heracross, Hitmontop, Honchkrow, Krookodile, Machamp, Meloetta, Mew, Mienshao, Mismagius, Nidoking, Nidoqueen, Raikou, Registeel, Sableye, Roserade, Scrafty, Sharpedo, Togekiss, Umbreon, Tornadus, Virizion, Weavile, Xatu, Yanmega, Zapdos, Zoroark....

pretty much most of UU lol

the 252HP makes Victini quite durable too. Very few pokemon can OHKO it, so you will have enough bulk to set up a Trick Room/V-Create sweep

That Victini sounds devastating... V-Create spamming will beat full teams if they lack priority.
Zap Cannon Eelektross is gimmicky but can work, anyway I think your opponent could've done something else. White Herb Sceptile, as opposed to the Eel, does sound like a big threat, I wonder why it isn't used much seeing that UU has many gimmicky things.

So I started playing with a Hail team just now, mainly because I didn't want to screw up with my SubSalac Hera team, but also for funsies. Since Snover is extremely weak and frankly the Protect+Leech Seed set isn't very appealing to me, I wanted to try out something different, so I went with the Focus Sash set.

Snover @

- Blizzard
- Giga Drain
- Ice Shard
- Hidden Power Ground / Hidden Power Fire
Trait: Snow Warning
IVs: 30 SpA / 30 SpD (for HP Ground)
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 SpA / 4 Spe
Nature: Mild (+SpA, -Def)

Blizzard+Ice Shard hits many leads hard, and I'm guaranteed I'll survive a hit. Additionally, it's nice to screw with Crobat leads that expect the SubSeed set and opt for Taunt instead of Brave Bird / U-Turn, effectively giving me a free kill. Hidden Power Ground to do something to Fire-types, Hidden Power Fire is mainly for Bronzong and other Snover leads.
While it may seem like a pushover without Eviolite, it's pretty fun watching little Snover getting me a kill more than half the matches I've played (though they haven't been much), and Ice Shard can pick off weakened things later if you decided not to sac it for some reason.
That's a good set for an offensive hail team. Just replace Hidden Power Fire with Protect, especially for a Snover lead. Protect helps it negate moves like Fake Out in order to abuse its Focus Sash and use Blizzard afterward. Also Grass Knot > Giga Drain. Hidden Power Fire won't do much damage anyway even if it's super effective since Snover is so weak. Blizzard does do some good damage, but that's about it.

Thanks, I will try that out. Both the Hidden Powers and Giga Drain were pretty situational, so I have no problem getting rid of them. I don't know if Grass Knot is much better since I doubt there'll be many chances to use it, but I guess I can test it. I'm not sure if I should run enough Speed to beat Swampert or something like that, since Ice Shard is weak either way...

WhiteQueen

the queen bee
is a Tiering Contributorwon the 11th Official Smogon Tournamentis a Past SPL Champion
Ernesto, yes definitely use Mild Nature 252Sp.Attk/252Spe. Ice Shard is too weak, so the 252Attk is kinda wasteful, imo. The added Speed EVs makes Snover faster than Rhyperior, and Grass Knot OHKO Rhyperior clean. Does good damage to Blastoise, Milotic, Slowbro, etc too should the situation arise

Is there anything worth outspeeding between 156 (Swampert) and 179 (assuming max/max Mild)? Otherwise I'll stick with the 92 Atk / 252 SpA+ / 164 Spe just to nail Swampert. Thanks either way!

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
When it comes to gimmicks, I am queen. All my teams use some kind of gimmicks.

Victini @ Charcoal
Brave Nature (+Attk, -Spe)
0 IVs
252HP/252Attk/4Def
---
Trick Room
V-Create
Bolt Strike
U-Turn

Get rid of shits like Swampert, Slowbro, Rhyperior, Arcanine, etc from the opposing teams and its's game over after using Trick Room then V-Create. This set gives him both power and bulk. With 252HP, not much can OHKO it. With charcoal, Vcreate ohkos countless of things.
I would just like to cite this post as an example of a GREAT creative / gimmicky set. It's fucking awesome and cuts through offense like butter. It also has good synergy with OTR Cofagrigius, though both are weak to Dark / Ghost. Mind if I do a write up in C&C for this set?

As for Snover, Max SpA and Eviolite with HP investment gives it a little more utility. It actually counters non Aura Sphere Raikou and non Heat Wave Zapdos.

I guess this set works okay:

Gorebyss @ Choice Specs
Trait: Swift Swim
252 SpAtk/252 HP/4 Def
Modest Nature (+SpAtk, -Atk)
- Hydro Pump/Surf
- Ice Beam
- Signal Beam/Shadow Ball/Psychic
- Hidden Power [Fighting]/Hidden Power [Electr]

Well, I guess this set works decently because everyone automatically assumes that it's going to be using Shell Smash first. I sort of got this idea when a faced a Specs Empoleon (whose Hydro Pump did 33% to my Kingdra), so I looked for a Water Type that had a larger Special Attack stat than Empoleon's. As I said, people don't really expect it, so it's usually good to lead off with this (as SmashPassers do).

Basically, Hydro Pump is for STAB (Surf for more accuracy but less power), and all the other moves are just to take care of things that resist Hydro Pump. I would say run HP Electric for other Bulky Waters (though it might not do too much). Its 105 Base Defense also gives it a bit more survivability, allowing it to take physical hits.

I ran some calcs, and it turns out that Gorebyss can take one 252+ Atk Close Combat from a Heracross, and has a small chance to live a +1 CC from said Heracross. Gorebyss also does a minimum of 57% to 252+ SpDef/252 HP Bronzong, so I guess that's also okay.

I know this set isn't very good against Snorlax or Specially Defense Porygon2 or Bulky Waters, and gets killed by special attackers like Zapdos or Raikou or whatever. It also can cause a loss of momentum after a kill. But it actually can do pretty well if you use it correctly.

Not really anything gimmicky or outside the box but this is something I'm personally using and it does its job pretty damn well.

Houndoom (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SAtk
Hasty Nature
- Fire Blast
- Crunch
- Sucker Punch
- Pursuit

This set is amazing at handling Psychic and Ghost types, as these two groups of pokemon are most often the ones I want to remove from the game ASAP. Reason? To get rid of Spinblockers to keep my Crobat healthy and to eliminate a big portion of Fighting resists in the tier to open a path for Scarf Mienshao in the late game.

Yes, other Pokemon (especially Snorlax) can do the same without being as bulky as a Caterpie but those lack something very fundamental: The ability to not giving a F*** about Sableye (and Will-o-Wisp in general).

This set does not work on every team trying to facilitate a Fighting sweep though, as Houndoom requires a very well thought out team composition to effectively do its job. BUT what it does for my team is pretty damn amazing, considering the fact that Houndoom can't really fill that many niches in the UU tier.

After getting it in safely on a Psychic or Ghost Pokemon, you have the choice of either Crunch, Pursuit or Sucker Punch.
Crunch: If the opposing Pokemon is Slower than Houndoom, this is a solid way to deal damage, as some may fear Pursuit and go straight for an attack. Most of the time you won't need it for trapping.
Pursuit: The standard trapping move, STAB + LO + 252Atk are usually enough to kill any Psychic or Ghost on their way out, with exceptions being really bulky things at full HP (Cresselia, Dusclops and Cofagrigus)
Sucker Punch: Ghosts and Psychics fearing Pursuit might want to just attack right away, only to get killed beforehand by STAB Sucker Punch.

One very nice perk about this Houndoom its ability to completely ignore Sableye, one of the most annoying Pokemon in the entire game. Bait the Will-o-Wisp with Mienshao or Crobat, switch into Houndoom to get a Flash Fire boost, proceed to roast. 4SAtk LO Flash Fire Fire Blast will cleanly OHKO standard Sableye, while a switch into a bulky Water will only result in getting me a free switch into LO Shaymin.

I run 1 Fire STAB and a whooping 3 Dark STABs on this set, this Houndoom is not supposed to sweep, nor is it supposed to punch holes in my opponent's defenses. Its sole purpose is to remove anything that might wall Mienshao, especially Ghost types. Also, the high-powered Sucker Punch is very useful to finish off faster threats.

As I said, not anything really gimmicky or new, but it works wonderfully on my team. Part of its success so far (I peaked the UU ladder on Showdown at #7 not too long ago) is probably also thanks to the fact that people don't seem to know what to expect from a Houndoom as it is very underused (pun not intended).

cim

Camerupt @ Leftovers
Trait: Solid Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef / 4 Def
Sassy Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast / Flamethrower
- Toxic / Will-o-wisp

This little guy is a flawless Raikou / Zapdos counter, not even 4HKOed by unboosted Aura Sphere. Gets Rocks up, can Earthquake Raikou, Fire Blasts Zapdos, and can Toxic a Water type coming in. I think it also gets Will-o-wisp and Lava Plume which can be useful.

If you're using it to counter Zapdos, I'd go for Lava Plume / Flamethrower over Fire Blast, since it's less easy for Zapdos to stall out 8 PP than it is 4 PP and it makes it less prediction reliant... Lava Plume gets the added Burn chance, but you can always go for Flamethrower for more immediate power.
Either way, nice to see that Camerupt has finally seen the light in UU after Pokemazter's and Ace Emerald's RMT!!

EDIT: Oh, and about Snover, I guess I can try Eviolite + max HP, but I think the situation you pictured where it counters Zapdos and Raikou is not about to happen anytime soon, given that they're not switching into it anytime soon, and if you switch Snover into them knowing tey don't have an SE move against you, chances are they're Substitute versions that will stall you out of Blizzard PP and beat you one on one

cim

Yeah, if you're fighting SubRoost Zapdos you'll want Flamethrower. I actually used this Camerupt long before the RMT - I stole it from SDS who's used it for years.

I've had this set running quite a while on my ghost and dark mono types, in UU (and OU alike) yet I haven't really seen another one alike around;

Spiritomb @Black Glasses / Lum Berry
252 Atk, 252 spdef, 4 def Or defenses reversed.
Adamant Nature.

- Taunt
- PainSplit
- Sucker Punch
- Pursuit

What this set aims to do is simple: Lure in a setupper, taunt em. Painsplit em. Finish em.
Keeping the HP low yet the defense stats high will allow you to survive most set up boosted moves to atleast to the 2OHKO area, which you can keep picking back up to thanks to painsplit that is most likely taking the bigger chunk from your foe. The STAB sucker punch tend's to leave quite a hole to anything that does not resist it, while pursuit makes sure this tomb leaves it mark to it's victim that might want to run away.

The EV defense spread is quite up to the user, but I recommend keeping it spdef cause many physicals probably wont switch on thinking it will will-o-wisp.

Ace Emerald

Cyclic, lunar, metamorphosing
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
A new favorite set. I might fight for this set to get an analysis, it is pretty great. The influence behind it was memories from a really old Smogcast, back in the Chansey era.

Porygon-Z @ Life Orb
Trait: Download
EVS: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
-Return / Double-edge
-Dark Pulse
-HP Fighting / Thunderbolt / HP Fire
-Tri Attack / Ice Beam

Mixed Porygon-Z. I'll let some calcs do the talking.
+1 252 Atk Life Orb Porygon-Z Return vs. 208 HP / 124 Def Snorlax: 281-331 (54.77 - 64.52%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+1 252 Atk Life Orb Porygon-Z Return vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Umbreon: 216-255 (54.82 - 64.72%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
4 SpA Life Orb Porygon-Z Dark Pulse vs. 252 HP / 120 SpD Cofagrigus: 166-198 (51.87 - 61.87%) -- 96.88% chance to 2HKO
+1 252 Atk Life Orb Porygon-Z Return vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro: 39.84 - 47.46%
+1 4 SpA Life Orb Porygon-Z Tri Attack vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Suicune: 192-227 (47.52 - 56.18%) -- 28.13% chance to 2HKO
+1 4 SpA Life Orb Porygon-Z Hidden Power Fighting vs. 244 HP / 248 SpD Solid Rock Rhyperior: 218-257 (50.46 - 59.49%) -- 80.08% chance to 2HKO
+1 4 SpA Life Orb Porygon-Z Hidden Power Fire vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Bronzong: 224-265 (66.27 - 78.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+1 252 Atk Life Orb Porygon-Z Return vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Heracross: 296-348 (98.33 - 115.61%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO
+1 Return is roughly the same strength as Reckless Scarf Mienshao's High Jump Kick, just a little weaker.

Two things make this set effective: surprise factor, but more importantly flexibility. You can't screw this set by running 4 EVs in (Sp) Def, it'll plow right through you either way. Uninvested, Porygon-Z has the same Special Attack stat as a fully invested base 105 Pokemon, and at +1 it still hits hard. This set breaks through walls like no one's business, just because it can hit so hard on the weaker defense, thanks to that Download. Return is a pretty powerful physical STAB, and with Dark Pulse it can break down the common Snorlax-Cofagrigus core. Hidden Power Fighting hits Rhyperior and Empoleon, but the set can use Ice Beam for Rhyperior and Thunderbolt for Empoleon, skipping out on Tri Attack. HP Fire is still a decent choice, 2HKOing Bronzong at +1. It can basically customize to take out what you need. I personally haven't used Double-Edge because that seems like a lot of passive damage, especially against Snorlax, but I'm guessing it makes it even more a monster, though probably short lived.

This is a decent set without its surprise factor and it pulls it weight in all battles. But if you can get the Attack Boost vs something PZ can force out and nail Snorlax or Umbreon on the switch, you can weaken them enough so your special sweeper(s) (Zapdos and Raikou for me), can now run through the opponents team. Its a great weapon against balance teams that rely on defensive pivots because it just tears right through them.

[pimg]151[/pimg]
Set: Bulk Up Mew
Mew @ Leftovers/ Tanga Berry
Trait: Synchronise
EVs:252 HP/248 SDef./8Spe
Carefull Nature
- Zen Headbutt
- Drain Punch
- $ucker Punch
- Bulk Up

This is a suprisingly good Mew set I have been testing on the ladder,and I gotta say ots good.With Mews All 100 stat spread,It uses this set well,With 100/100/100 Bulk and 252/0/248 investment and Bulk up,it takes hits well at +1 you can surrvive CS Herras megahorn,And with tanga berry,you alugh at it while you zen headbutt the bug into oblivion.Drain Punch helps greatly for Staying power and covrage,Sucker Punch hits hard at +1 and acts as a mini e-speed,KOing manythings like ghosts that would take mew down like OTR cofag and CS Chandy.The goal of this set is to accumulate multiple boosts,sit at a good amount of health,and sweep with zen/drain/Sucker covrage.This set does its job well,As it has noproblem sweeping through many teams in this meta when used properly.
Probaly the best lure set in UU as +1 SP KOes Chandy and at +1 Herracroses CS Megahorn does only 60% with no Tanga and +1 zen headbutt always KOs and with tanga berry megahorn vs this set at +1 does literaly 38% MAX.and you KO with zen headbutt, Tanga Berry should be the main slash though as it lets you always beat adamant scarf herra after hazards.

Bulky SubSeeding Roserade

Roserade @ Black Sludge
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 120 Def / 136 SDef
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Sleep Powder
- Substitute
- Giga Drain
- Leech Seed

I've used this Roserade set so many times and it's been very succesful for me. It's similar to the SubSeeding Roserade set above, but with a different EV spread and Giga Drain. I invested all of my EV's into HP, Def and SDef, making Roserade able to take hits much better. It takes Ice Beams from bulky waters all day, and tons of other attacks. I used Giga drain over Sludge Bomb to gain extra recovery. The main purpose of this set is to cripple as many walls as possible, because usually they cant do anything to Roserade when behind a Sub.

cim

I would consider Sludge Bomb on that set so you can hit Shaymin and at least touch other Roserade, both of which wall you. Plus its a more powerful STAB in general. Also lets you get a hit on Snover before being forced out.

Also, consider Speed EVs, which are useful for SubSeeders.

When I play UU, this gimmick is great.No one else uses it, or at least no one I play does.

Hitmontop @ Life Orb
Trait: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Sucker Punch
- Bullet Punch
- Mach Punch

You know, the gimmick is pretty obvious: all priority. This came from me noticing that Hitmontop has surprisingly great defenses, but most people waste that by giving it speed EVs and not giving him more bulk. Also, Technician boosts 3 out of 4 of these moves, making them all great moves. Mach Punch is the obvious pick, being STAB. Fake Out is a great opening move. Sucker Punch shuts down handelures that think they can come in and easily kill me. Bullet Punch is mostly useless, but helps for neutral coverage. But it gets even better with the next Pokemon.

Umbreon @ Leftovers
Trait: Synchronize
EVs: 252 SpD / 252 HP / 4 Def
Careful Nature
- Curse
- Baton Pass
- Heal Bell
- Foul Play

This guy is made completely to set up the above Hitmontop. You see, the Speed decrease from Curse doesn't matter when your using all priority moves, and Umbreon has great defenses to take hits so it can Curse then Baton Pass. Heal Bell is the obvious cleric move, getting rid of status effects. It's mainly for itself, to take off Toxic and Paralysis. Foul Play is there so it can take care of itself if needed.

Like I said, not many people use these two set ups, which I find weird. They work great together.

TPO3

Never practice; Always perform.
Why don't you use Payback on Umbreon instead of Foul Play? Foul Play works off of the target's attack stat, so no matter how many times you Curse, it always does the same amount. Payback would actually boost in power the more you use Curse.

Well, foul Play is also a sweep stopper. I see too many Dragon Dance Kingdras, and Foul Play punishes the likes. Any attack raisers, really.

A little friend of mine that requires a bit of luck and a lot of fun-

Empoleon @ Petaya Berry
Trait: Torrent
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk
Modest / Timid Nature
- Surf / Hydro Pump (I'm a fan of accuracy, but I'm also not the boss of you)
- Ice Beam
- Grass Knot
- Agility

The Timid nature is entirely dependent on if you intend on outspeeding Scarfed Jolly Heracross. You can drop out 4 speed EVs if you're running Modest, but I don't really see the purpose.

Anywho, what makes this set great. First of all, Empoleon is very easy to switch in on stuff. It's a defensive champ and doesn't have a problem showing up without taking much damage. You can fire off base 111 attacks and outspeed all but a select few (with Timid, it takes a Jolly/Timid Scarfer of base 100+ or a Modest/Adamant Scarfer of base 115+ to beat you), not to mention perfectly neutral coverage across the entire tier. It's a pretty powerful mid to late game sweeper. It's unorthodox - maybe not the best pick - but it's still very effective at what it does.

However, what makes this set fun is messing with Torrent and Petaya Berry. If you can manage to get yourself below 25% and get off an Agility - trying to match up against a Bronzong with Earthquake is perhaps the best way to go about this - Surf becomes one powerful mofo. What's also great is that every priority move except Mach Punch (and Vacuum Wave, which totally exists in the UU meta) is not very effective against Empoleon, so its survivability is pretty fantastic, even when below that 25% mark.

Of course, Snorlax and Umbreon are still problems, so Empoleon needs a powerful Fighting type to help patch up those flaws.

cim

Life Orb does marginally less damage and doesn't rely on you literally letting your opponent set up for you in order to win. Meanwhile, there's a perfectly valid SubPetaya set that works just fine - the trick is to build the rest of your team to make up for the coverage move you lost.

Honey boo boo like this one:

Nidoking @ Life orb
Trait: Sheer Force
EV 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
-Hone claws
-Poison Jab
-Fire Punch / Ice Punch
-Sucker Punch

The best way for sassy uu players deal with nidoking is to revenge kill it, this set says no! After a boost, nidoking can 2HKO/OHKO flygon, crobat, zapdos, and a bunch of other stuff after rocks with sucker punch. Poison Jab(it should really be the sassier gunk shot D:) Is the stab of choice boosted by sheer force and @ +2 from hone claws it can 1HKO slowbro after rocks! Fire punch gives that extra sassy coverage to take care of steel types. Ice punch deals with gligar and rhyperior if you're having troubles with that.

My personal favorite, and original, set:

Mandibuzz @ Leftovers
Trait: Overcoat
EV 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold/impish Nature
-Roost
-Foul Play
-Iron Defense
-Swagger/Toxic

Don't take me for a fool because Iron D and Swagger are there. I've been playing this set for a good old time now and it is easily the best mandibuzz set there is. In UU, that is.
With this set, Mandibuzz easily tanks any physical attacker in the metagame. A good combination of Swagger, boosted defenses and Foul Play allows you to thwart bulkier pokemon, and swagger makes even special attackers easy kills. The abundance of fighting type in the tier may seem like a turn off at first, but even resisted foul play does incredible damage with 0 investment. The only pokemon in the tiers that can overthrow this thing with brute strenght are the sacred sword pokes. And they mostly have Close combat. If you play intelligently and keep away from toxic, this thing bags in easy victories.

SubSD Rhyperior o_o

Rhyperior @ Leftovers
Trait: Solid Rock
EVs: 132 HP / 252 Atk / 124 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance
- Stone Edge

A SubSD Rhyperior set may seem a little weird, but it works pretty well. Just send it in on something that Rhyperior can freely set up on, such as the occasional Dusclops, get up a Substitute and a Swords Dance. Then proceed to destroy.

132 HP EVs allow Rhyperior to reach 404 HP nicely. Thus, Rhyperior can set up 101 HP Substitutes without worrying its Substitutes to be broken by a single Seismic Toss. Max Attack EVs and Adamant nature give it as much firepower as possible and with a Swords Dance up, Rhyperior will pretty much OHKO-2HKO all but the sturdiest walls. The rest of the EVs are dumped into Special Defense to give it as much bulk as possible. Leftovers allow it to heal up its HP constantly, giving it better longevity.

EdgeQuake gives pretty good coverage and are standard moves on a Rhyperior.

I have used SubSD Rhyperior for some time now and I must say, it isn't expected, it isn't a flop.

cim

That's actually an alright set. The only thing I see is that by the time you Sub up as a bulky water comes in, you're generally too slow to Swords Dance and then hit them before they can get a Scald KO. Meanwhile, if you just used CB Earthquake you would have done more damage in that scenario.

I'm considering compiling the few actually decent sets into the OP, would anyone support this?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)