SS Doubles OU Goodra Rain Team!

I just want to start by saying I'm quite new to competitive. I'm also even more new to doubles, but I'm really trying. I think my team is lacking on the physical side of things and I just really don't know what to do and this is my first post as well, just made my account. To anyone who looks at my team, thank you!

Primarina (Yogurt)
Torrent
Modest
Lum Berry
180 HP / 252 SpA / SpD 4 / SpE 72

Scald
Psychic
Energy Ball
Moonblast

I chose Primarina because I needed a wall breaker on my team and she's one of my favorite Pokémon (being my starter from moon). All her moves just serve as coverage options, scald works especially well when Goodra pulls off Rain Dance. Just good STAB moves. The Lum Berry gives her a shot if going against a wall using status effects. Her typing is also really nice, and it's been doing me well so far.

Goodra (Goopy)
Hydration
Modest
Leftovers
252 SpA / 252 HP / 4 SpD

Rain Dance
Hydro Pump
Thunder
Rest

I also really love Goodra just as a Pokémon. Hydration in combination with Rest after a Rain Dance is an amazing recovery option. Goodra's been able to take at least a few hits even without many EVs put into either defense stat. Thunder I use in rain for the paralyze and the boosted accuracy, and Hydro Pump is also boosted with the rain. Leftovers was put there just because I didn't know what else to give Goodra, but it's been working out.

Talonflame (Omelette)
Gale Wings
Adamant
Heavy-Duty Boots
48 HP / 252 AtK / 208 SpE

Brave Bird
Flare Blitz
U-turn
Protect

Talonflame is one of my two physical attackers I recently added just for coverage. Probably not a good idea with Goodra's Rain Dance but I mostly use Brave Bird on it anyway since when it's paired with Gale Wings it will have priority. Flare Blitz is really just there for coverage, Talonflame is just there to deal damage and nothing else. U-turn is for if I need to switch and get out of there, and Protect is just for if I need it. There's a little more EVs in HP so it hopefully can tank a hit or two. Heavy-Duty Boots are to counter Stealth Rocks which would take away a full half of it's max HP.

Azumarill (Bubbles)
Huge Power
Adamant
Sitrus Berry
252 AtK / 252 SpE / 4 HP

Belly Drum
Play Rough
Aqua Jet
Dig

Azumarill is really neat too! Huge Power makes up for it's kind of low attack stat, doubling it, and if I can get a Belly Drum off in combination with Aqua Jet that would be crazy with Goodra's Rain Dance. The Sitrus Berry is to recover to 75% HP after using Belly Drum. The only problem I've found is that I don't find myself using Belly Drum out of fear that I'm going to die. Play Rough gives me some STAB, it and Dig are for coverage as well. Dig should probably go but I really don't know what to do with it.

Amoongus (1-Up)
Regenerator
Sassy
Black Sludge
252 HP / 184 DeF / 72 SpE

Pollen Puff
Rage Powder
Spore
Protect

So Amoongus is like my tank, he's really cool. I find myself against a lot of fire types though which tends to hurt the thing. Regenerator is nice so I can get a quick heal and a switch. Black Sludge is to just try and keep him out for longer. Pollen Puff has been great, I could use it with Azumarill to heal him after using a turn for Belly Drum, or use it on another ally using protect. Since it doubles as an attack, if it's a super effective that would help. Rage Powder is to take the heat off of an ally, perhaps if they have a weakness to whatever the opponent's using. Spore is just easy sleep if there's a threat that's really bugging my, and protect is sort of a given.

Gengar (Boo), Gmax
Cursed Body
Timid
Focus Sash
252 SpA / 252 SpE / 4 DeF

Shadow Ball
Focus Blast
Sludge Wave
Thunderbolt

Gengar is such a cool Pokémon, Cursed Body is useful just to help lower the target's movepool. Focus Sash is so if it's beaten out in speed by say a Dragapult that uses a ghost move on it, then my Gengar can kill it. All it's moves are just for coverage, and if I don't want to chance Focus Blast then I can just Dynamax. Sludge Wave would also require me to use a protect on my other Pokémon, but I'd rather do that and hit both targets.

So, that's my team! It's my first real well put together team, at least I think so, but I feel like I'm missing something and I'm definitely not using rain to it's fullest. I'd really appreciate any advice anyone more experienced can give me, thank you so much!

Snowgoro

Unfortunately, without significant changes, your team is not competitively viable. You have suboptimal Pokemon (Azumarill, Gengar) and suboptimal sets (Lum Berry + No Protect Primarina, Rest + Hydration Goodra, No Protect Gengar) which would make it impossible to rate without changing 2+ Pokemon. Furthermore, Gigantamax / Dynamax is banned in Smogon Doubles OU.

If you want an example of good teams and sets, try here. Smogon Snake Draft is home to the highest level DOU competition currently and you can get a good feeling of what's working right now. Also take a not at the Usage Stats -- Pokemon like Azumarill and Gengar have seen 0 usage.

What I can do for you is one fo two things. I can either give you a rate that keeps the same six Pokemon but with better sets, or I can help you build a team around Primarina (since that seems to be the starting point of this team). I can also do Goodra or Azumarill if you want to, but keep in the mind the team probably won't be the best.

Sorry for the late replay and late of real rate. LMK what you want from me and I'll do my best! See you around the DOU community!

Snowgoro

Unfortunately, without significant changes, your team is not competitively viable. You have suboptimal Pokemon (Azumarill, Gengar) and suboptimal sets (Lum Berry + No Protect Primarina, Rest + Hydration Goodra, No Protect Gengar) which would make it impossible to rate without changing 2+ Pokemon. Furthermore, Gigantamax / Dynamax is banned in Smogon Doubles OU.

If you want an example of good teams and sets, try here. Smogon Snake Draft is home to the highest level DOU competition currently and you can get a good feeling of what's working right now. Also take a not at the Usage Stats -- Pokemon like Azumarill and Gengar have seen 0 usage.

What I can do for you is one fo two things. I can either give you a rate that keeps the same six Pokemon but with better sets, or I can help you build a team around Primarina (since that seems to be the starting point of this team). I can also do Goodra or Azumarill if you want to, but keep in the mind the team probably won't be the best.

Sorry for the late replay and late of real rate. LMK what you want from me and I'll do my best! See you around the DOU community!
Eh, what can I say? I like to be unique ha ha. Hm . . . I'd love an optimized team solely based on Primarina, that was my starter in SM. Thank you so much for your help

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)