Goodra (Revamp) (QC 2/3)

Overview
########

- Is mostly outclassed by other Dragon-types
- Useful as a special tank with an Assault Vest due to its movepool, bulk, and typing
- Access to Sap Sipper, which comes with a useful sleep immunity
- Slow, and not as strong as Pokemon like Latios, only useful traits over them being Fire Blast
- Hates residual damage from status and hazards and has no form of recovery outside Rest
- Along with the Grass immunity, has resistances to common types such as Fire, Electric, Water
- Not that strong

Assault Vest
########
name: Assault Vest
move 1: Draco Meteor / Dragon Pulse
move 2: Fire Blast
move 3: Sludge Bomb / Thunderbolt
move 4: Earthquake / Muddy Water
ability: Sap Sipper
item: Assault Vest
evs: 240 HP / 252 SpA / 16 Spe
nature: Modest

Moves
========

- Draco Meteor is the strongest STAB Goodra has, and is necessary for Goodra to do any major damage
- Fire Blast is for Steel-types like Excadrill, Ferrothorn, Skarmory, Bisharp, and Scizor, as well as a chance to OHKO Mega Pinsir
- Sludge Bomb is so Clefable can't switch into you and set up on you, while also hitting Mega Gardevoir, Azumarill and Togekiss
- Thunderbolt hits Talonflane and Gyarados harder while getting a reliable hit on Skarmory
- Earthquake is Goodras only option to 2HKO Heatran, who otherwise walls you completely
- Muddy Water allows you to hit Landorus reliably and does consistent damage to Tyranitar

Set Details
========

- Sap Sipper gives Goodra an immunity to Grass-type moves, as well as an immunity to Spore and Sleep Powder, while boosting Earthquake enough to KO Heatran
- Assault Vest turns Goodra into an extremelly bulky tank, but increases its lack of recovery by not allowing it to use Rest or hold Leftovers
- EVs provide maximum power and bulk and residual damage number, and outspeed Adamant Azumarill
- Modest is ok because you 2HKO Heatran anyway
- Alternate EVs of 208 HP / 44 Atk / 252 SpA / 4 Spe and Modest if you hate losing ties against other base 80s, the Attack investment getting an OHKO on Heatran after a Sap Sipper boost even with the nature drop

Usage Tips
========

- AV lets you switch into special attacks from Pokemon like Thundurus or Landorus or Grass-type attacks, as Goodra can easily take those hits and hit hard back
- Due to the lack of power, you needs to predict switches well, such as if the opponent is about to go into Clefable then go for Sludge Bomb, as Goodra would still hate taking a Moonblast, and it is more often safer, as most Steel-types are slower and fear Fire Blast. In other words, don't Draco too often when resists or immunities are alive because either Goodra will have to take a heavy hit or go for a really weak Fire Blast, should it choose to stay in.
- Goodra is not a special wall and shouldn't be played as one
- Many Pokemon have ways of working around Goodra, so be careful switching it into Pokemon like Rotom-W, as they may carry Trick
- When being used with a Wishpasser, Goodra needs to be able to come in safely to recieve it. If using Sylveon as your Wishpasser, Baton Pass is a good way, especially if it passes CM boosts as well.

Team Options
========

- Wish, and really any Fairy-type can take opposing Dragon moves well. Wish Sylveon/Clefable and a Steel-type can form a strong Fairy/Dragon/Steel core. (such as Goodra/Sylveon/Skarm even as this includes Defog to remkve the hazards which wear down Goodra who has no recovery as is)
- Defog/Spin to get rid of hazards
- Skarmory/Mega Aggron wall many physical attackers that threaten Goodra
- Again, Dragon/Fairy/Steel, Goodra/Skarm or Mega Aggron/Clefable or Sylveon is amazing
- As Goodra is simply a really bulky tank, it's more of a glue mon than anything

Other Options
########

With its stats, Goodra may seem like it can run a specially defensive set, but a lack of recovery hurts it, and Goodra lacks key moves such as Will-O-Wisp.

- Rain set with Damp Rock and Hydration and Rest
- Dragon Tail
- Physical or mixed set with Outrage or Power Whip is a bad idea. Outrage may seem ok but it has its own problems and Power Whip is dumb unless you're randomly Gastrodon weak (don't be)
- Flamethrower (I don't know about this even being here you lose so many KOs)
- Ice Beam OHKOs Landorus but it's really redundant otherwise
- Counter
- Iron Tail (I might as well remove this too)
- Curse/mono attacker

Checks & Counters
########

**Fairy-types**: Clefable and Sylveon can easily wall and set up on Goodra if it does not predict the switch and 2HKO with Sludge Bomb due to Calm Mind. Azumarill can OHKO Goodra and switch in easily on anything but Sludge Bomb, and avoids the 2HKO if it has an Assault Vest. Mega Gardevoir can also threaten Goodra with Hyper Voice.

**Special Walls**: Chansey walls Goodra no matter what it runs. Heatran also beats Goodra if it lacks Earthquake due to Toxic. Mega Venusaur is not weak to any of Goodra's coverage, and can survive a Draco Meteor then recover with Synthesis

**Physical Attackers**: Physical attackers such as Garchomp, Excadrill, Dragonite, Mamoswine, Mega Pinsir, Mega Tyranitar, and Mega Heracross can all check Goodra but some have a hard time switching in due to its great coverage.

Overview
########

- Is mostly outclassed by other Dragon-types
- Useful as a special tank with an Assault Vest due to its movepool, bulk, and typing
- Access to Sap Sipper, which comes with a useful sleep immunity
- Slow, and not as strong as Pokemon like Latios, only useful traits over them being Fire Blast
- Hates residual damage from status and hazards and has no form of recovery outside Rest
- Along with the Grass immunity, has resistances to common types such as Fire, Electric, Water
- Not that strong

Assault Vest
########
name: Assault Vest
move 1: Draco Meteor
move 2: Fire Blast
move 3: Sludge Bomb / Thunderbolt
move 4: Earthquake / Dragon Tail
ability: Sap Sipper
item: Assault Vest
evs: 240 HP / 252 SpA / 16 Spe
nature: Modest

Moves
========

- Draco Meteor is the strongest STAB Goodra has, and is necessary for Goodra to do any major damage
- Fire Blast is for Steel-types like Excadrill, Ferrothorn, Skarmory, Bisharp, and Scizor, as well as a chance to OHKO Mega Pinsir
- Sludge Bomb is so Clefable can't switch into you and set up on you, while also hitting Mega Gardevoir, Azumarill. and Togekiss
- Thunderbolt hits Talonflane and Gyarados harder while getting a reliable hit on Skarmory
- Earthquake is Goodras only option to 2HKO Heatran, who otherwise walls you completely
- Dragon Tail can allow you to phaze Pokemon that try to set up on you

Set Details
========

- Sap Sipper gives Goodra an immunity to Grass-type moves, as well as an immunity to Spore and Sleep Powder, while boosting Earthquake enough to KO Heatran
- Assault Vest turns Goodra into an extremelly bulky tank, but increases its lack of recovery by not allowing it to use Rest or hold Leftovers
- EVs provide maximum power and bulk and residual damage number while outspeeding Adamant Azumarill
- Modest is ok because you still 2HKO Heatran with EQ
- Alternate EVs of 208 HP / 44 Atk / 252 SpA / 4 Spe and Modest if you hate losing ties against other base 80s, the Attack investment getting an OHKO on Heatran after a Sap Sipper boost even with the nature drop

Usage Tips
========

- AV lets you switch into special attacks from Pokemon like Thundurus or Landorus or Grass-type attacks, as Goodra can easily take those hits and hit hard back
- Due to the lack of power, you needs to predict switches well, such as if the opponent is about to go into Clefable then go for Sludge Bomb, as Goodra would still hate taking a Moonblast, and it is more often safer, as most Steel-types are slower and fear Fire Blast. In other words, don't Draco too often when resists or immunities are alive because either Goodra will have to take a heavy hit or go for a really weak Fire Blast, should it choose to stay in.
- Goodra is not a special wall and shouldn't be played as one
- Many Pokemon have ways of working around Goodra, so be careful switching it into Pokemon like Rotom-W, as they may carry Trick
- When being used with a Wishpasser, Goodra needs to be able to come in safely to recieve it. If using Sylveon as your Wishpasser, Baton Pass is a good way, especially if it passes CM boosts as well.

Team Options
========

- Wish, and really any Fairy-type can take opposing Dragon moves well. Wish Sylveon/Clefable and a Steel-type can form a strong Fairy/Dragon/Steel core. (such as Goodra/Sylveon/Skarm even as this includes Defog to remkve the hazards which wear down Goodra who has no recovery as is)
- Defog/Spin to get rid of hazards
- Skarmory/Mega Aggron wall many physical attackers that threaten Goodra
- Again, Dragon/Fairy/Steel, Goodra/Skarm or Mega Aggron/Clefable or Sylveon is amazing
- As Goodra is simply a really bulky tank, it's more of a glue mon than anything

Other Options
########

- SpDef set
- Rain set with Damp Rock and Hydration and Rest
- Muddy Water (why doesn't it get Surf it evolves in rain...)
- Physical or mixed set with Outrage or Power Whip is a bad idea. Outrage may seem ok but it has its own problems and Power Whip is dumb unless you're randomly Gastrodon weak (don't be)
- Flamethrower (I don't know about this even being here you lose so many KOs)
- Ice Beam OHKOs Landorus but it's really redundant otherwise
- Counter
- Iron Tail (I might as well remove this too)
- Curse/mono attacker

Checks & Counters
########

As Goodra isn't exactly physically bulky it's checked by nearly every physical attacker in OU, so I'll just list prominent ones.

**Fairy-types**: Clefable walks all over it thanks to Magic Guard and sets up on it. Azumarill OHKOs and can switch in easily especially if it's AV. Mega Gardevoir does a ton with Hyper Voice.

**Special Walls**: Chansey just hopelessly walls you. Sylveon, Clefable, Heatran if you lack EQ, and Mega Venusaur

**Physical Attackers**: Garchomp, Excadrill, Mega Medicham, Dragonite, Mamoswine Mega Pinsir, Mega Tyranitar, Mega Heracross can all check Goodra but some have a hard time switching in due to its great coverage

Last edited:
Its not much, but i think it's worth mentioning that goodra is not pursuit weak, over latias, as maybe it could find some use on a team already pursuit weak that need's a dragon resistences.

aim

pokeaimMD
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
I think thunderbolt should be slashed next to sludge bomb as it allows you to still hit Azumarill but also have a reliable hit vs talonflame and skarmory, also smacks gyarados. should also mention that the assault vest lets you be a nice switch in to common threats like landorus-i and thundurus-i, easily taking any hit

Tiny things on the EV spread, but I'm not hugely fond of the alternate EVs. First off, it's not 100% correct in saying that it will OHKO Heatran every time after Sap Sipper; Modest Goodra needs 48 Atk to 100% ensure that (the low damage roll of 44 Atk does 384 HP in damage, and SpD Heatran has 385). Secondly, I think that EVing to specifically OHKO one Pokemon only after you've absorbed a Grass-type move is really, really situational. Yes, Heatran is commonly run alongside Grass types, and yes Goodra could have come in and gotten to +1 in that situation, but EVing for that very specific series of turns seems like almost a waste. I'd prefer to use Modest, and put enough Speed in to outrun opposing 0 Spe Suicune and Thunderbolt/Meteor them before a Calm Mind (and by that extension, outrunning any SpD Tran that run any less than 64 Spe). Even with the -Atk, you 2HKO Heatran anyway with EQ (0- Atk Goodra Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 248-292 (64.4 - 75.8%)), and now outrun them so you can use EQ again before you are potentially burnt (not like many Heatran carry Wisp now that Mawile is banned, but the threat is there). Note that even if you do get burned, Modest EQ still does 32.2 - 37.9%. Assuming low damage rolls, 64.4 + 32.2 = 96.6% is done minimum if the opposing Heatran is speedy and burns you, meaning if it has any prior damage (hello SR), it's out. Not to mention, if Goodra does absorb a Grass move beforehand, it does 95.5 - 113.2% to SpD Heatran, meaning if it has any damage at all, it's out (rocks again). Also, even if Heatran comes in completely healthy, now you outspeed it and can chip off those last few points before it can do anything back to you.

tl;dr: The alternative EVs should be switched for 212 HP / 252 SpA / 44 Spe. This lets you outspeed 0 Spe Suicune, <64 Spe Heatran, and the "other base 80s" mentioned in the current alternative spread. The HP is even, which I do hate, but it's not divisible by 16 or 8, so it should be fine.

I'm just going to leave Dragon Pulse in moves and write this up unless anyone really wants me to slash it then, no reason to wait to start. If it becomes important then I'll add it before 3/3 but I feel like it's just way too weak.

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
slash dpulse, it's useful to have a consistent option mainly so you don't get set up on

i run enough speed evs for max adamant azu which can be useful for sure, 248 HP / 244 SpA / 16 Spe

pref muddy water in the last slot for getting a reliable hit on lando as well as hitting tar sort of and heatrans. at least slash it with eq, dtail is pretty bad get that out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)