Pokémon Goodra [REVAMP]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting set to say the least. Though I'm kinda iffy on it considering how frail Goodra is on the physical spectrum. Also I feel Goodra has a beautiful movepool waiting to be utilized LOL
Maybe some calculations and/or hypothetical situations to change my mind?
BTW Sap Sipper would be near-useless on this set and it'd be better off having Gooey

Interesting set to say the least. Though I'm kinda iffy on it considering how frail Goodra is on the physical spectrum. Also I feel Goodra has a beautiful movepool waiting to be utilized LOL
Maybe some calculations and/or hypothetical situations to change my mind?
BTW Sap Sipper would be near-useless on this set and it'd be better off having Gooey
Actually, I'd beg to differ, Sap Sipper is pretty useful on any set. If you're not using Goodra on a rain team, it can use Sap Sipper to deal with pesky grass-type status moves like Spore and Leech Seed, which is pretty common despite the "nerfs" on status moves (i.e, Grass type immunity to powder moves, Magic Bounce Absol, etc.). This essentially gives Goodra the benefit of being a Grass type without the weaknesses that come with it.

Actually, I'd beg to differ, Sap Sipper is pretty useful on any set. If you're not using Goodra on a rain team, it can use Sap Sipper to deal with pesky grass-type status moves like Spore and Leech Seed, which is pretty common despite the "nerfs" on status moves (i.e, Grass type immunity to powder moves, Magic Bounce Absol, etc.). This essentially gives Goodra the benefit of being a Grass type without the weaknesses that come with it.
Well for one thing, Spore and powder moves wouldn't matter on a RestTalk variant of Goodra, because Goodra has Rest. And Sleeptalk. Leech Seed isn't all too popular but I guess that is one merit of running it. But the bigger problem here is that Sap Sipper ends up giving a useless Attack boost. Goodra probably doesn't want to spread its EVs too thin especially since its already investing quite a bit into its bulk. Gooey on the otherhand would slow down opposing Pokemon that make contact with it and allow Goodra to Rest faster or simply fodder itself off and have a sweeper switch in on a -1 (presumably) Speed opponent.

I prefer choice specs over life orb on the tank set. You have more power and make better use of Goodra's excellent special bulk. Modest Goodra has almost the same special attack stat as timid Latios.

Goodra @ Choice Specs
Modest | 252 HP | 252 SpA
- Draco Meteor
- Fire blast
- Focus Blast / Hydro Pump
- Dragon Pulse

Also, I think access to fire blast, hydro pump and focus blast and not being weak to pursuit is more then enough for Goodra to get use over latias.

Last edited by a moderator:

Typhlito

One Active Dawg
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
well at least sap sipper will keep ferro from throwing leech seed at it as an attempt to stall it out. Goodra could slowly wear it down since it can just rest back anything it throws at it.

Goodra has fire blast and focus blast. It's pretty much guaranteed to run one of the two if its not running a drizzle set. I doubt ferro can consistently wall goodra.

Seeing as how goodra has no real support move outside of toxic and rest, what about a bulky special attacking set that utilizes the new assault vest item?

I've been thinking of something along the lines of what Nubbins said. It definitely seems to be best suited to an offensive tank role based on the info we currently have. Specs/Scarf/Life Orb is outclassed by existing 'mons but I think the below set affords Goodra a useful & viable niche.

Goodra @ Assault Vest
Gooey
Modest
176Hp / 80Def / 252SpA

-Draco Meteor / Dragon Pulse
-Fire Blast
-Thunderbolt
-Ice Beam / Sludge Bomb / Hydro Pump

Good bulk backed up by useful typing. Assault Vest boosts already awesome SpD stat to crazy levels so no EV investment required & Gooey can potentially slow down an opponent for either Goodra or a more suitable teammate to take advantage of. Despite the support feel of this set it still packs a punch with max SpA investment & the great coverage it gets. Support, utility & offensive pressure in one set. Well, in theory at least; I just really don't want Goodra to suck...

A very gimmicky set that I came up with while I was possibly under the influence of something. Please excuse the foolishness of this set.

Goodra

"Harbinger of Slow and Painful Demise"
Item: Leftovers
Nature: Calm or Bold
Ability: Gooey
EV spread: 252 HP/252 SpDef or 252 HP/252 Def (or split EV's in defenses to cater to your needs)
Moveset:
- Toxic
- Protect/ Rest/ Sleep Talk
- Infestation
- Dragon Pulse /Rest/ Flamethrower /Sleep Talk

The basic premise of this set is to hopefully bring forth slow and painful death to walls by whittling them down with passive damage. The crux of this set is the combination of Toxic, Protect, and most importantly, Infestation-trapping to stack up damage to the opposing Pokemon, eventually leading them them to their inevitable demise. Naturally, you should only trap Pokemon that can't do anything back to you to minimize the assault Goodra has to take because he doesn't have any reliable recovery move as of now. Dragon Pulse is there as a reliable STAB and coming from a 115 base SpA, it's nothing to just easily scoff at. Flamethrower is a mediocre alternative to it in order to deal with Steel types that may come in your way. Also, Goodra can go for a RestTalk set or simply a Toxic+Rest to good use. lol

Most likely this set can find a niche use in stall teams serving as a defensive pivot/staller of some sort. Provided that the team has a Cleric, Goodra will appreciate Wish Passes and Heal Bell/Aromatherapy to make up for its lack of reliable recovery moves.

Obviously, this set has many counters to it and isn't all that hard to take down. Steel and Poison Types, fast Taunt-users, Walls with Status-healing moves or abilities, and the list goes on. Once this set is revealed, it will likely lose its utility and will become predictable.

Last edited:
I think Goodra gets rain dance from its pre evo but would it take up a move slot space for hydration?

EDIT: Didn't read there is already rain dance on the list my bad.

What about a special wall like

200 hp/252 spd/52 speed
Ability: Hydration
Moveset
-Rain Dance
-Rest
-Toxic (if TM 06 still exists)
-Dragon type move
Counters: Fairies block Dragon type moves but not toxic with a exception of Mega Mawile and Kleftki due to being steel typing and immunity to dragon, also noting Ferrothorn Eats Toxic and dragon moves like a boss unless Goodra Packs Fire move but If there is a Drizzle toad on your team another rain support with a Weather rock to make up for its nerf then Replace Rain dance with a move that's viable, I haven't used it myself yet however I'l catch it, breed it and train it when I get further progress with my Pokémon X game
Slash Sleep Talk or something with Toxic, and slash Assault Vest with Lefties. A. Vest increases your SpD, but makes it so you can't use status. The dragon move should always be Dragon Pulse. Dragon Tail is arguable.

A very gimmicky set that I came up with while I was possibly under the influence of something. Please excuse the foolishness of this set.

Goodra

"Harbinger of Slow and Painful Demise"
Nature: Calm or Bold
Ability: Gooey
EV spread: 252 HP/252 SpDef or 252 HP/252 Def (or split EV's in defenses to cater to your needs)
Moveset:
- Toxic
- Protect/ Rest/ Sleep Talk
- Infestation
- Dragon Pulse /Rest/ Flamethrower /Sleep Talk

The basic premise of this set is to hopefully bring forth slow and painful death to walls by whittling them down with passive damage. The crux of this set is the combination of Toxic, Protect, and most importantly, Infestation-trapping to stack up damage to the opposing Pokemon, eventually leading them them to their inevitable demise. Naturally, you should only trap Pokemon that can't do anything back to you to minimize the assault Goodra has to take because he doesn't have any reliable recovery move as of now. Dragon Pulse is there as a reliable STAB and coming from a 115 base SpA, it's nothing to just easily scoff at. Flamethrower is a mediocre alternative to it in order to deal with Steel types that may come in your way. Also, Goodra can go for a RestTalk set or simply a Toxic+Rest to good use. lol

Most likely this set can find a niche use in stall teams serving as a defensive pivot/staller of some sort. Provided that the team has a Cleric, Goodra will appreciate Wish Passes and Heal Bell/Aromatherapy to make up for its lack of reliable recovery moves.

Obviously, this set has many counters to it and isn't all that hard to take down. Steel and Poison Types, fast Taunt-users, Walls with Status-healing moves or abilities, and the list goes on. Once this set is revealed, it will likely lose its utility and will become predictable.
One thing: The defensive EVs should be ran in Speed so you can Infest faster Pokemon such as Starmie and friends, as well as get Toxic out there faster. List some teammates to cover these Steel- and Poison-types, such as a strong and/or fast Ground-type such as Dugtrio.

I'm a little upset! / disappointed that nobody lists Slowbro as a valuable partner for Goodra. Slowbro's typing and phyiscal defense tanks hits from PKMN like Terrakion, Lucario or Medicham and can either paralyze them to make up for Goodra's under-standard speedy

I'm missing a pretty badass boost-move on Goodra - but well, if thats what it has to sacrifice for the special bulk, go for it ^__^

Slowbro is just underrated in general, though, because while it has a lot of potential for various things something always holds it back (and not always the speed)

Is there a physical version of the Assault Vest? I can see a bulky offensive one that buffs the Physical Defense with the item, uses Goodra's great base SpD to tank hits there, uses Gooey to punish physical attackers even more, and slowly destroys with a wide mixture of physical and special moves.

Or it can just run stuff like Barrier (if available) to raise its physical defense. Or play your team with Reflect-support.

It needs some help to make stuff work, but if the team is solid, I see no big problems there.

Jirachi, Goodra, Slowbro, Conkeldurr, [special sweeper] & Ghost.

Could you use Binding Band on that Infestation set for better results as opposed to leftovers? Or would the lack of recovery cripple it too hard?

I'm a little upset! / disappointed that nobody lists Slowbro as a valuable partner for Goodra. Slowbro's typing and phyiscal defense tanks hits from PKMN like Terrakion, Lucario or Medicham and can either paralyze them to make up for Goodra's under-standard speedy

I'm missing a pretty badass boost-move on Goodra - but well, if thats what it has to sacrifice for the special bulk, go for it ^__^
Slowbro does stand out as a phenomenal partner since it is more than capable of tanking heavy hitting Physical moves while Goodra eats up Grass and Electric Type moves aimed at Slowbro. With an Assault Vest, Goodra could probably easily eat up Shadow Balls as well [somebody calculate it to confirm, too lazy haha]

Or it can just run stuff like Barrier (if available) to raise its physical defense. Or play your team with Reflect-support.

It needs some help to make stuff work, but if the team is solid, I see no big problems there.

Jirachi, Goodra, Slowbro, Conkeldurr, [special sweeper] & Ghost.
Reflect support does sound nice :)

Could you use Binding Band on that Infestation set for better results as opposed to leftovers? Or would the lack of recovery cripple it too hard?
Infestation sounds really interesting for me. I wouldn't use Binding Band if Goodra doesn't receive Recover though ...

Updating the OP with all these great comments!

Binding Band seems like an interesting option for the set however yes, the lack of Leftovers will cripple his longevity indeed. And yet again, seeing that the RestTalk combo was slashed in my original moveset, this item can mesh well with that strategy. A set of Rest l Sleep Talk l Infestation l Toxic/Dragon Pulse will look deliciously gimmicky and fun. Maybe partner it with Toxic Spikes support and other status abusers to possibly save a move slot. This may apply in all set variants similar to the ones I mentioned, but putting Toxic in them is just a more reliable way to inflict the status.

Also, here's another variant that may also be a joy to use. Rain Dance l Rest l Toxic l Infestation with Hydration. The possibilities are endlesss! :D

If Goodra gets Recover then it will certainly make way for more move slots.

And just a question, does Infestation's trapping effect remain active even if the user switches out? Also, if you use the move again, will the effect refresh?

Infestation is a 100% accurate bug type fire spin.

Essentially, nothing is immune to it and it traps/deals damage per turn. However residual damage moves were buffed this gen to deal 1/8 total HP per turn instead of 1/16. I'd imagine that binding band increases that power even more.

The trapping effect does not remain active if the user switches out. I haven't tested it yet with Baton Pass. And of course, ghost pokemon would be free to switch out of it thanks to their passive.

You guys are viewing Goodra in a too narrow-minded manner. This guy is killer when paired with Gastrodon.

252 hp / 252 spa / 4 speed

Sap Sipper

Fire Blast / Focus Blast
Thunderbolt
Ice Beam
Draco Meteor

Yes, Sap Sipper raises attack, but the point is, it's a free switch in on a grass attack. If your Gastrodon is threatened, out comes Goodra. Opponents will immediately suspect a bulky physical and be quite disappointed to receive a dracometeor (or something equally bad) in their face. Goodra fills an important role on a rain team (which will still persist, but in a different manner than before) with its natural SpD bulk and good special attack coverage. Dragoo isn't going to sweep an entire team on switch in, his role is to support grass-vulnerable tanks like Gastrodon, Jellicent, Quagsire, Politoed, or Hippodown.

As mentioned earlier, the potential for this thing as a special tank is phenomenal, from a defensive perspective, this is Latios without a Pursuit weakness, and Dragonite without a stealth rock weakness. However, mono-dragon isn't all that great defensive, sure it has a ton of nice resistances, but nothing that makes it really stand out IMO. I actually wish I would of been a Poison / Dragon type to resist fighting personally.

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this kind of build before but mine seems to have worked pretty well so far!
Goodra @ Leftovers
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Infestation
- Rest
- Rain Dance
- Toxic

alexwolf EDIT: Add more content next time.

In terms of team synergy I think it's a good idea to run Klefki. It's immune to Dragon, resists Ice and can set up Spikes. Dragon/Fairy generally seems like a good core idea. Forretress, Skarmory or Ferrothorn might be better at this, but someone needs to use Klefki.

I was thinking of making this a set-up type of Pokemon. Making it learn rain dance and any other useful defensive moves or even attack moves. This would make a good member for a rain dance team. Some people might say that the rain dance strategy is long gone, but i think differently. This Pokemon could surprise other teams since everyone will be focusing in new strategies. I could be wrong, but I'm open for opinions.

I think the way to use Goodra would be defensively, since attackers get gooey-ed and its special defense is great, plus it has very usable attacking stats. What I really want to know is if gooey works both ways, cause that will decide the attacks Goodra uses.

Training up a Goodra right now, I was interested in OP's suggestion of a mixed sweeper, but I'm taking it in a different direction. I became specifically interested when I saw that Power Whip was on his move list.

This is what I'm thinking so far:

Goodra @ Life Orb
Nature: Naughty
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 252 Attack/160 Speed/96 SpA

Draco Meteor
Power Whip
Earthquake
Aqua Tail / Fire Blast / Outrage / Thunderbolt / Icebeam

My idea is basically using a mostly physical setup to negate the downside of Draco Meteor. I currently have no idea what I'm going to put in my last slot, so I just sort of listed all the remotely viable options.

If I swap in on a predicted Grass attack, the bonus from Sap Sipper should make him 1HKO a lot of things.

(I'm sort of new to competitive, I still need to learn all the math for figuring out % to #HKO things.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)