SV UU Gotta Hit Fast Behind Screens!

Hello everyone, this is my first RMT on the forum. So, I would love some advice on how I can make this team better. Thank you.

989.png

Sandy Shocks @ Booster Energy
Ability: Protosynthesis
Tera Type: Electric
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Earth Power
- Discharge

Sandy Shocks is probably one of the better leads that I've seen in the UU tier. Having access to both layers of hazards, while even being uninvested can dent opposing leads such as Iron Treads, other opposing Shocks, and a few other mons. I choose Booster Energy to give it a +1 speed so that it could outspeed most things in the tier and get at least one layer of hazards up. And proceed to go about it depending on what's going on. In terms of it's role. It hasn't failed in the way that I would need it to get one hazard off minimum to provide pressure on the opponents team. I sometimes keep it around so that I may be able to spread more, or try to get more hazards in the mid game to keep pressing going.

Potential Changes: Tera Electric > Tera Steel

I've been considering Tera Steel, and dropping Discharge to counter opposing Shocks leads. Since alot of the runs I run into are Tera Ice in a means to stop me from getting hazards up. While even if I dropped something like Discharge for Tera Blast to hit it harder. It doesn't one shot it. The only added benefit that I can see is it gives me a extra chance to do something against it. Most of the Sandy Shocks I've seen in battle immediately go for Tera Ice + Tera Blast to hit me. With a resistance, I could force it to be a speed tie between mine, and the opposer. This however means, that I might not be able to get a single hazard up in the game. Which is a make or break depending on what the other team has going for it. If I wanted Sandy Shocks to knock out other opposing Shocks. I would have to invest in less bulk, to make it a roll for it to be knocked out.

My Current Spread: 0 SpA Tera Steel Sandy Shocks Tera Blast vs. 48 HP / 0 SpD Tera Ice Sandy Shocks: 234-276 (72.4 - 85.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Potential Spread that can one shot Tera Ice Shocks: 188 SpA Tera Steel Sandy Shocks Tera Blast vs. 48 HP / 0 SpD Tera Ice Sandy Shocks: 272-324 (84.2 - 100.3%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO

914.png

Quaquaval @ Life Orb
Ability: Moxie
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Rapid Spin
- Close Combat
- Aqua Step

Quaquaval is one of the sweepers that I choose for the team. The main point is to get it in on a good postiton, and proceed to set up and hit things hard with +2 Aqua Step, or CC. Behind screens makes it easier due to the reduction in damage. But, there's not really much to say about it. It's just the mon I chose to hit on the physical side. I slotted in Rapid Spin since the rest of the team doesn't have the means to deal with any other hazards this also can ware down my other opposing teammates. I don't see too many people running Spin on Quaquaval meaning that I can usually get a spin off. The additional +1 in speed from spin does also help it to either punch something or take the opportunity to set up without having to use Aqua Step instead.

Potential Changes: Swords Dance > Bulk Up

I've heard people speak great things about Bulk Up Quaquaval, but I'm not sure if I want to run it over the immediate power of Swords Dance giving me +2 attack, instead of +1. While the extra defense would be great for me to potentially eat more physical attacks. I would probably have to drop something else for Roost as a added means to sustainability. Which I don't think I know what I would drop. Spin is important since nobody else in the team deals w hazards, I'm running Tera Water for the extra stab on Aqua Step, and CC for it's damage.

861.png

Grimmsnarl (M) @ Light Clay
Ability: Prankster
Tera Type: Dark
EVs: 248 HP / 168 Def / 88 SpD
Impish Nature
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Spirit Break
- Parting Shot

The main star of the show, and what the team is based around off. Grimmsnarl's whole point is to well....get screens and cripple down other mons so that I can respond with the other members in my team. It's just bulky enough to get both screens up without no real issues from most of the mons in the UU tier. But, as I said. The whole point is to get up screens, and Parting Shot on out of there. I run Spirit Break to deal some chip damage against other opposing darks since I can't use Parting Shot on them. But, that's the best I have for it. I don't think I would consider anything else for it's set. Since it functions pretty okay for what it's trying to do.

meowscarada (1).png

Meowscarada @ Choice Band
Ability: Protean
Shiny: Yes
Tera Type: Grass
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Flower Trick
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch

My offensive pivot. I usually use Meowscarada to get around mons by U-Turning around, or finishing them off with it's STABs. I originally had Ogrepon here, but Meowscarada is a bit faster, not as bulky, but has alot more to provide since it can change it's types willingly to poke things harder. Which is why I like Meow more in this case. It's always a good mon to bring in after one of my mons go down in battle so I can either finish them off, or chip at them. I like Band cause it just hits harder cause of the free +1 attack.

706-h.png

Goodra-Hisui @ Assault Vest
Ability: Shell Armor
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Flash Cannon
- Tera Blast

I feel like Goodra is pretty insane in terms of it's bulk. Especially while under screens, it can hit pretty hard and tank incredibly well. I pretty much loaded up on attacks that it can use to take down as many things in it's path until it either goes down or I am forced to switch. When testing, Goodra has seemed to do this very well and it can even come in on special attacks and absorb the hits without not taking much damage in return. But, that's H-Goodra. A nice special cannon with the bulk to support it is always nice.

Potential Changes: Higher Speed EVs > Current Spread

I was talking with a friend about this one. But, I don't think I wanna go with it. The main reasoning would be to allow Goodra to creep up on some mons and deal damage while people think they would normally outspeed it. But, with a 60 base speed, and most of the UU tier being considerably fast. I'm not sure where I sit on this one. I could see it being a interesting tech for sure. But would like the opinion of experienced players since I'm fairly new, and is not sure what to do with a higher speed invested H-Goodra.

Potential Changes: Surf/Thunderbolt > Tera Blast

I at times don't think Tera Blast is needed for the coverage. While it does smack some mons like Meow, Hoppa-U, and Weavile namely. But, sometimes the additional coverage from Surf/Thunderbolt could be helpful as well. I may consider just slotting the moves around as I see fit depending on what I am running into. I would say that Hoopa-U & Meowscarada are the more common things I've seen in the UU tier as of right now. But, that may change depending on what I see in the tier.

3ani__146__xy.gif

Moltres @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Roost
- Flamethrower
- Tera Blast

Moltres is a mon that I've always wanted to use. With the new item, it's gotten so much better and that's great. Namely, I use Moltres to pivot around pesky U-Turners in hopes to spread burn with Flame Body. I also use it to hit a wide variety of mons in the tier. I like Hurricane more than Air Slash for the extra power, and change to confuse. Roost keeps me relatively healthy and can clutch in a win depending on the situation at hand. Flamethrower is STAB for me. Now I'm not sure but Tera-Grass for Moltres is a great way to stop pesky waters like Gastrodon & Quagsire while I obviously have Meowscarada and they no longer have Scald to cripple it. But, most people don't really expect Tera Blast Grass making it a worth addition for me personally.

Taka

coastin' like crazy
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
PUPL Champion
Hello everyone, this is my first RMT on the forum. So, I would love some advice on how I can make this team better. Thank you.

View attachment 569226

Tera Type: Electric
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Earth Power
- Discharge

Sandy Shocks is probably one of the better leads that I've seen in the UU tier. Having access to both layers of hazards, while even being uninvested can dent opposing leads such as Iron Treads, other opposing Shocks, and a few other mons. I choose Booster Energy to give it a +1 speed so that it could outspeed most things in the tier and get at least one layer of hazards up. And proceed to go about it depending on what's going on. In terms of it's role. It hasn't failed in the way that I would need it to get one hazard off minimum to provide pressure on the opponents team. I sometimes keep it around so that I may be able to spread more, or try to get more hazards in the mid game to keep pressing going.

Potential Changes: Tera Electric > Tera Steel

I've been considering Tera Steel, and dropping Discharge to counter opposing Shocks leads. Since alot of the runs I run into are Tera Ice in a means to stop me from getting hazards up. While even if I dropped something like Discharge for Tera Blast to hit it harder. It doesn't one shot it. The only added benefit that I can see is it gives me a extra chance to do something against it. Most of the Sandy Shocks I've seen in battle immediately go for Tera Ice + Tera Blast to hit me. With a resistance, I could force it to be a speed tie between mine, and the opposer. This however means, that I might not be able to get a single hazard up in the game. Which is a make or break depending on what the other team has going for it. If I wanted Sandy Shocks to knock out other opposing Shocks. I would have to invest in less bulk, to make it a roll for it to be knocked out.

My Current Spread: 0 SpA Tera Steel Sandy Shocks Tera Blast vs. 48 HP / 0 SpD Tera Ice Sandy Shocks: 234-276 (72.4 - 85.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Potential Spread that can one shot Tera Ice Shocks: 188 SpA Tera Steel Sandy Shocks Tera Blast vs. 48 HP / 0 SpD Tera Ice Sandy Shocks: 272-324 (84.2 - 100.3%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO

View attachment 569231

Quaquaval @ Life Orb
Tera Type: Water
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Rapid Spin
- Close Combat
- Aqua Step

Quaquaval is one of the sweepers that I choose for the team. The main point is to get it in on a good postiton, and proceed to set up and hit things hard with +2 Aqua Step, or CC. Behind screens makes it easier due to the reduction in damage. But, there's not really much to say about it. It's just the mon I chose to hit on the physical side. I slotted in Rapid Spin since the rest of the team doesn't have the means to deal with any other hazards this also can ware down my other opposing teammates. I don't see too many people running Spin on Quaquaval meaning that I can usually get a spin off. The additional +1 in speed from spin does also help it to either punch something or take the opportunity to set up without having to use Aqua Step instead.

Potential Changes: Swords Dance > Bulk Up

I've heard people speak great things about Bulk Up Quaquaval, but I'm not sure if I want to run it over the immediate power of Swords Dance giving me +2 attack, instead of +1. While the extra defense would be great for me to potentially eat more physical attacks. I would probably have to drop something else for Roost as a added means to sustainability. Which I don't think I know what I would drop. Spin is important since nobody else in the team deals w hazards, I'm running Tera Water for the extra stab on Aqua Step, and CC for it's damage.

View attachment 569232

Grimmsnarl (M) @ Light Clay
Ability: Prankster
Tera Type: Dark
EVs: 248 HP / 168 Def / 88 SpD
Impish Nature
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Spirit Break
- Parting Shot

The main star of the show, and what the team is based around off. Grimmsnarl's whole point is to well....get screens and cripple down other mons so that I can respond with the other members in my team. It's just bulky enough to get both screens up without no real issues from most of the mons in the UU tier. But, as I said. The whole point is to get up screens, and Parting Shot on out of there. I run Spirit Break to deal some chip damage against other opposing darks since I can't use Parting Shot on them. But, that's the best I have for it. I don't think I would consider anything else for it's set. Since it functions pretty okay for what it's trying to do.

View attachment 569244
Meowscarada @ Choice Band
Ability: Protean
Shiny: Yes
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Flower Trick
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch

My offensive pivot. I usually use Meowscarada to get around mons by U-Turning around, or finishing them off with it's STABs. I originally had Ogrepon here, but Meowscarada is a bit faster, not as bulky, but has alot more to provide since it can change it's types willingly to poke things harder. Which is why I like Meow more in this case. It's always a good mon to bring in after one of my mons go down in battle so I can either finish them off, or chip at them. I like Band cause it just hits harder cause of the free +1 attack.

View attachment 569238
Goodra-Hisui @ Assault Vest
Ability: Shell Armor
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Flash Cannon
- Tera Blast

I feel like Goodra is pretty insane in terms of it's bulk. Especially while under screens, it can hit pretty hard and tank incredibly well. I pretty much loaded up on attacks that it can use to take down as many things in it's path until it either goes down or I am forced to switch. When testing, Goodra has seemed to do this very well and it can even come in on special attacks and absorb the hits without not taking much damage in return. But, that's H-Goodra. A nice special cannon with the bulk to support it is always nice.

Potential Changes: Higher Speed EVs > Current Spread

I was talking with a friend about this one. But, I don't think I wanna go with it. The main reasoning would be to allow Goodra to creep up on some mons and deal damage while people think they would normally outspeed it. But, with a 60 base speed, and most of the UU tier being considerably fast. I'm not sure where I sit on this one. I could see it being a interesting tech for sure. But would like the opinion of experienced players since I'm fairly new, and is not sure what to do with a higher speed invested H-Goodra.

Potential Changes: Surf/Thunderbolt > Tera Blast

I at times don't think Tera Blast is needed for the coverage. While it does smack some mons like Meow, Hoppa-U, and Weavile namely. But, sometimes the additional coverage from Surf/Thunderbolt could be helpful as well. I may consider just slotting the moves around as I see fit depending on what I am running into. I would say that Hoopa-U & Meowscarada are the more common things I've seen in the UU tier as of right now. But, that may change depending on what I see in the tier.

View attachment 569243
Moltres @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Roost
- Flamethrower
- Tera Blast

Moltres is a mon that I've always wanted to use. With the new item, it's gotten so much better and that's great. Namely, I use Moltres to pivot around pesky U-Turners in hopes to spread burn with Flame Body. I also use it to hit a wide variety of mons in the tier. I like Hurricane more than Air Slash for the extra power, and change to confuse. Roost keeps me relatively healthy and can clutch in a win depending on the situation at hand. Flamethrower is STAB for me. Now I'm not sure but Tera-Grass for Moltres is a great way to stop pesky waters like Gastrodon & Quagsire while I obviously have Meowscarada and they no longer have Scald to cripple it. But, most people don't really expect Tera Blast Grass making it a worth addition for me personally.

Hey! First off, welcome to the UU tier. It seems like this team isn't really sure on what direction it should go in. I'll try to guide it assuming the idea is to be around Quaquaval / Grimmsnarl / Sandy Shocks.

First off, on team cores like that, you generally want to stack setup sweepers to overwhelm defensive cores. Moltres / Hoodra / Meow are holding this team back as long as it is structured like that:

To start, I would change Shocks to a spatk invested set for lead:

Tera Type: Ice
EVs: 48 HP / 208 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Thunderbolt
- Earth Power
- Tera Blast

This is a pretty standard lead shocks. You can run Spikes over Tera Blast, and go Tera Ghost as well, but for your intended purpose, this is fine, and it has offensive pressure to open up Quaquaval / Ogerpon later.

For quaquaval, on these kinds of teams, you dont need to worry about hazards too much. Dropping Rapid Spin for an offensive coverage move like Ice Spinner or Brave Bird will go a long way. This tier also has ample water resists/immunities, the tera type may be better with something to support coverage, like Tera Fly Brave Bird, or something defensive like Tera Steel.

Quaquaval @ Leftovers
Tera Type: Flying
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Brave Bird
- Close Combat
- Aqua Step

Similar to your meowscarada, we can pair quaquaval with a grass type like Ogerpon. I know you said you prefer Meow because of the breaking power, but Ogerpon fits better on teams structured with Screens / Hazards thanks to the ease of getting an SD up.

Hoodra seems to be a semi defensive mon that also breaks for you, and I think a similar fit would be Hydreigon, spevifically sub variants. It can also lure fairies for Quaquaval with its SubPlot + Tera Poison/Steel sets, so we can try using that here.

To round off the team, we can try running something similar to the role of Moltres (which irritates Sciz / Meow), so you could try an Okidogi or Tera Fire Salamence. Either mon works and can fit on these structures:

Here is the finished team, let me know how it feels!

https://pokepast.es/ab77668f6c0d018a

Hey! First off, welcome to the UU tier. It seems like this team isn't really sure on what direction it should go in. I'll try to guide it assuming the idea is to be around Quaquaval / Grimmsnarl / Sandy Shocks.

First off, on team cores like that, you generally want to stack setup sweepers to overwhelm defensive cores. Moltres / Hoodra / Meow are holding this team back as long as it is structured like that:

To start, I would change Shocks to a spatk invested set for lead:

Tera Type: Ice
EVs: 48 HP / 208 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Thunderbolt
- Earth Power
- Tera Blast

This is a pretty standard lead shocks. You can run Spikes over Tera Blast, and go Tera Ghost as well, but for your intended purpose, this is fine, and it has offensive pressure to open up Quaquaval / Ogerpon later.

For quaquaval, on these kinds of teams, you dont need to worry about hazards too much. Dropping Rapid Spin for an offensive coverage move like Ice Spinner or Brave Bird will go a long way. This tier also has ample water resists/immunities, the tera type may be better with something to support coverage, like Tera Fly Brave Bird, or something defensive like Tera Steel.

Quaquaval @ Leftovers
Tera Type: Flying
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Brave Bird
- Close Combat
- Aqua Step

Similar to your meowscarada, we can pair quaquaval with a grass type like Ogerpon. I know you said you prefer Meow because of the breaking power, but Ogerpon fits better on teams structured with Screens / Hazards thanks to the ease of getting an SD up.

Hoodra seems to be a semi defensive mon that also breaks for you, and I think a similar fit would be Hydreigon, spevifically sub variants. It can also lure fairies for Quaquaval with its SubPlot + Tera Poison/Steel sets, so we can try using that here.

To round off the team, we can try running something similar to the role of Moltres (which irritates Sciz / Meow), so you could try an Okidogi or Tera Fire Salamence. Either mon works and can fit on these structures:

Here is the finished team, let me know how it feels!

https://pokepast.es/ab77668f6c0d018a
Thanks for the advice, I noted that Okidogi doesn't learn EQ. But, I assume you may have mean't High Horsepower to help deal with other okidogis?

I think Hydreigon hasn't been working as well as I'd hope. It's a good fairy answer if I am able to Tera. Would Haxorus be a better choice to do the same thing?

Would something like this work?

Haxorus @ Loaded Dice
Ability: Mold Breaker
Tera Type: Steel
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Scale Shot
- Iron Head
- Earthquake

Taka

coastin' like crazy
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
PUPL Champion
Thanks for the advice, I noted that Okidogi doesn't learn EQ. But, I assume you may have mean't High Horsepower to help deal with other okidogis?

I think Hydreigon hasn't been working as well as I'd hope. It's a good fairy answer if I am able to Tera. Would Haxorus be a better choice to do the same thing?

Would something like this work?

Haxorus @ Loaded Dice
Ability: Mold Breaker
Tera Type: Steel
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Scale Shot
- Iron Head
- Earthquake
You could try Scizor out in this slot with a standard Life Orb set, and sorry I 100% meant Psychic Fangs over EQ haha

Taka

coastin' like crazy
PUPL Champion
Could you recommend me the LO Scizor set in question?
Scizor @ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
Tera Type: Fire / Steel
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Close Combat
- Knock Off

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)