Grand Slam IX - Introduction

jake

underdog of the year
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion

Welcome back to Smogon Grand Slam! This year's tournament is the first to feature Sword & Shield lower tiers. The UU, RU, NU, PU, and LC Opens will be returning in the competition for the coveted turquoise Trophy.

The format consists of five separate tournaments: The UU Open, The RU Open, The NU Open, The PU Open, and the LC Open. Depending on your performance in each Open, you will be awarded points. The point system is the same as the one used in Smogon Tour, Smogon Classic and previous years of Smogon Grand Slam (see this for further explanation). When all the Opens have been finished, the sixteen players with the most points will qualify for playoffs. There, the battlers will duke it out in a single elimination best-of-five series until there is one Grand Slam champion.

Signups for each Open will be posted after the first round of the previous Open is completed. Here is the list of the five Opens and the dates each signups will be posted:
  • The UU Open - Hosted by Boat - June 8th
  • The RU Open - Hosted by MrAldo - June 15th
  • The NU Open - Hosted by Finchinator - June 15th
  • The PU Open - Hosted by MZ - June 22nd
  • The LC Open - Hosted by Merritt - June 22nd
If a tier shift happens to occur during a round, it will not be taken into account until the following round. Please also keep in mind that this tournament is entirely SS and does not include metagames from past generations.

Be sure to join the Smogon Tournaments Discord server, if you have any questions or wish to ask a host about a decision. A huge thanks goes out to perry, Yay, and Ampha for maintaining the standings spreadsheet this year. If you notice a mistake in there, let perry, Yay, Ampha, or one of the TDs know please! The sheet can be found directly below:

STANDINGS SPREADSHEET

DO NOT RESPOND TO THIS THREAD WITH "IN", POST IN THE TOURNAMENT THREADS WHEN THEY GO UP TO JOIN THE TOUR!

May the odds be ever in your favor!​

Last edited by a moderator:
Who are the most likely players to make a deep run / win this tournament? I'm really out of touch with low tiers and I'm genuinely asking here.
Playoffs will consist of Tricking Finchinator ODR Pohjis Star TonyFlygon with ODR being the favorite of the bunch after several masterful performances in CPL

Edit: I’ve been informed that the great Sjneider will be making an attempt so you can expect him in playoffs as well

Last edited:

Adaam

إسمي جف
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis the 8th Grand Slam Winner
Who are the most likely players to make a deep run / win this tournament? I'm really out of touch with low tiers and I'm genuinely asking here.
It's difficult to say who is favorite overall due to the relative newness of each tier. I don't really know who is the most well-rounded. However, there are clear individual favorites for each open:

UU Open - Sacri'
RU Open - King UU (he's coming back inshaallah)
NU Open - blarghlfarghl
PU Open - Some dude from STAG will bot his way to finals and then get himself banned to bring Ubers back
LC Open - I don't know but Finchinator will probably get haxed by me in this open

Hope I helped

Kink

it's a thug life ¨̮
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
It's difficult to say who is favorite overall due to the relative newness of each tier. I don't really know who is the most well-rounded. However, there are clear individual favorites for each open:

UU Open - Sacri'
RU Open - King UU (he's coming back inshaallah)
NU Open - blarghlfarghl
PU Open - Some dude from STAG will bot his way to finals and then get himself banned to bring Ubers back
LC Open - I don't know but Finchinator will probably get haxed by me in this open

Hope I helped
Confirming, you're all done for.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)