Monotype Grass Team

My goal is to make a grass team that is viable because grass is one of the worst offensive and defensive types. This is what I came up with:

Amoonguss (M) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Pollen Puff
- Giga Drain
- Clear Smog
- Hex

This one is a special tank, I gave it all special attacks instead of physical like the standard set, cuz I noticed that it had Hex. This was my starting point for the rest of the team. I figured it would act like Pex in OU, Hazing/CSing the opponent's setup sweepers. Giga Drain is for more recovery, though I am debating changing it to Energy Ball or Grass Knot. Hex is a fun gimmick to stack with T-spikes, and Pollen Puff is just there cuz I don't know what else to put.

Roserade (F) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Sludge Bomb
- Psyshock
- Toxic Spikes

Standard mono set. My T-spikes setter. I really don't know what else to say about this one.

Exeggutor (F) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Harvest
- Protect
- Sunny Day
- Solar Beam
- Psychic

This is probably one of the best ones I have. Sunny Day powers up Harvest, Protect to scout attacks and get an extra turn of Sitrus recovery and Solar Beam cuz Wynaut? I mean, I have sun up, so why settle for less power. I was considering running Starf or Petaya or Salac, but I thought recovery would be more useful as I have T-spikes. Psychic is just there as secondary STAB. Thought of adding Venu to work in conjunction with sun, but there are already 2 poison types and T-Spikes are essential.

Appletun (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Apple Acid
- Recover
- Leech Seed
- Protect

Another stally set, my Fire resist. Not much to say other than that. Special tank again.

Rillaboom (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Superpower

My revenge killer, was thinking to replace Superpower as it lowers Attack. The Grassy Terrain is also very helpful to my team, boosting offensive presence and supporting my stally mons.

Rotom-Mow @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Substitute
- Thunderbolt
- Leaf Storm

This one is kinda filler, I don't know what else to run other than Dhelmise or Decidueye. I was thinking maybe run Volt Switch TW over Sub T-bolt? I could replace some of mine with Virizion, Silvally, Lurantis, Lilligant, Whimsicott, Shiftry, Celebi, Obamasnow, Ferro etc...

Edit: I replaced Rotom with Virizion, standard Smog set. I replaced Exeggutor with Dhelmise running Choice Band/Scarf suggested EVs and Rapid Spin, Anchor Shot, Grassy Glide, and Poltergeist. The new strat is one layer of T-spikes plus Leech Seed cuz no-one else is stupid enough to use Grass in mono, then trap in with Anchor Shot to take out the more stally mons. Should I run LO or Leftovers on Dhemise?

Any constructive criticism is appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited:
Hi ezlaturbo nice to see you experimenting with the released DLC Pokemon. However, I do have some suggestions for you in regards to your team composition.

Major Changes

Exeggutor --> Ferrothorn

:Exeggutor: --> :Ferrothorn:

Ferrothorn is much needed on this team over Exeggutor as it functions as hazard setter with Stealth Rock, Psychic resist, and an Ice Neutrality to form a defensive core with Appletun. Iron Head can be used to improve the team's matchup vs Hatterine. Protect is vital for scouting moves from choices attackers such as Galarian Darmanitan, Urshifu, and Gengar.

Amoonguss --> Whimsicott
:amoonguss: --> :Whimsicott:

While Amoonguss is a cool addition to Grass teams in the DLC, I don't see the value in running it here specifically, furthermore an Assault Vest variant. The team as it stands finds the Dragon matchup fairly unbearable, therefore Whimsicott is a fairly easy choice here to circumvent that with Mooblast. Heat Rock will allow you to set up the sun for a longer duration aiding Venusaur in sweeping. U-Turn allows you to pivot for momentum and form a VoltTurn core with Rotom-C. Lastly, Memento allows Venusaur to setup a Growth with ease.

Roserade --> Venusaur
:Roserade: --> :Venusaur:

Venusaur is a setup sun sweeper capable of helping your team win matchups such as Poison, Fairy, and Steel. Growth allows Venusaur to boost its SpA by 2 stages in the sun allowing it to threaten and outspeed teams thanks to Chlorophyll. Sludge Bomb hits Pokemon such as Hatterine, Galarian Weezing, and Togekiss. Weather Ball deals with the Steel Pokemon such as Magearna, Scizor and Corviknight. Giga Drain allows Venusaur to beat Toxapex at +2 1v1.

Minor Changes

Rillaboom
:Rillaboom:

The team lacks any wallbreaking potential as it stands, running Choice Band over Choice Scarf allows Rillaboom to perform its role as a wallbreaker more effectively hitting harder. Grassy Glide is a priority Grass-type move in which Rillaboom can use in Grassy Terrain, that is fantastic for revenge killing.

Rotom-C
:Rotom-mow:

Now that Rillaboom is taking upon the role of your wallbreaker, the team lacks a revenge killer, and is also fairly weak vs Steel teams such as Corviknight and Scizor. Choice Scarf Rotom-C allows you to Trick a Choice Scarf to a potential Pokemon such as Ferrothorn, Corviknight, or Scizor. Will-O-Wisp will cripple Scizor, Corviknight, and Excadrill. Volt Switch provides momentum for the team, and can act as a method of getting Rillaboom safely in.

With the DLC being very fresh, that's all the suggestions I have! Good luck with the team!

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice. On my original, the goal was lead Rade to set T-spikes and swap, unless I have a favorable matchup, then attack. I would then switch to the best counter for whatever mon to Leech seed and wait them out. I have actually run a more offensive variant: (I tried sun, but kinda didn't want to)

Appletun (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Apple Acid
- Recover
- Leech Seed
- Protect

Stalling out opponents even better with Grassy Terrain. The only time time set hhas ever failed me is vs Sap Sipper.

Rillaboom (M) @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Superpower

I might run Band, cuz his Superpower is simply not strong enough to KO most things I send it out against.

Dhelmise @ Choice Band
Ability: Steelworker
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Liquidation
- Anchor Shot
- Grassy Glide
- Poltergeist

Unlikely as it is, this has been my MVP most games. If Leech and Poison are up, I can just spam Anchor Shot, and is Terrain is up, it helps finish weaken fast pokemon. Poltergeist is sucha useful move, scouting items + massive damage. It can usually live one hit and KO most ghost types the next turn (esp. Pult and Gar) barring Shell Smash Polteageist.

Ferrothorn @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Leech Seed
- Knock Off
- Gyro Ball
- Stealth Rock

I found this set extremely useful vs Aegislash and any pokemon that is a physical attacker or relies on items. It is the only one on my team not bothered by Sticky Web.

Roserade (F) @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Dazzling Gleam
- Leaf Storm
- Extrasensory
- Sludge Bomb

I am running a more offensive variant. Still what I usually lead with.

Celebi @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Giga Drain
- Psychic
- Earth Power

Set-up sweeper, haven't had much success with this set.

This is my current team, Roserade, and Ferroare my anti Dragons, removing items and Super effective attacks. I will try the Sun team, tho I dislike using weather. I would honestly prefer running Rain Dance Colo.

Hello ezlaturbo and Splash, nice to see you experimenting with the released Pokemon DLC. However, I have some suggestions for you regarding the composition of your team.

I suggest you some change:

Trevenant
F2FE45B2-61C7-42A2-B8AD-1FD6E5B95CB5.png

with se set;

Trevenant @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 244 HP / 14 Atk / 248 SpD
Careful Nature
IVs: 0 SpA
- Leech Seed
- Will-O-Wisp
- Substitute
- Poltergeist

it's a set tank, which can stop a lot of pokemon, the only problem is that if the opposite side is normal, steel, or dark, you can burn or infect it with Leech Seed, and wait let him die slowly.

I apologize for my very broken English, I still have some progress to make.Good luck with the team!

What are you suggesting to replace? Dhelmise is my spinner, Celebi/Roserade are possibly the only ones I'd replace, as Rilla, Dhel, Ferro, and Appletun provide power, priority, hazard control, and fire resist, as well as taking ice types better. With the rise of Hail teams, I should probably update this team a bit to help with Darm-G as I need Ferro healthy to take on the Arctos. I'm debating running R-Mow, I'll link the updated team.

https://pokepast.es/0896653f13505a70

Zarude lends some more offensive presence, keeping Rilla Scarf for some speed control, though maybe I should swap the items? ATM they both have roughly the same speed and similar attack stats, maybe I should specialize, letting the faster Zarude be scarf, and the slower Rilla be Band? I added Amoongus cuz status is always helpful. Oh, and Dhelmise is actually AV and Rapid Spin over Liquidation.

well, looking at the team, I will say Appletun
or Amoonguss but they are both useful for the team ... on the other hand, for Rillaboom, I propose to play it with this set:

Rillaboom @ Choice Band / Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- U-turn / Swords Dance
- Grassy Glide
- Knock Off
- Drain Punch

Seet revenche killer, with Life Orb, is very effective, but if you really want to do more damage, use Choice Band.
personally I use this team:

Ferrothorn @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball
- Knock Off

Rillaboom @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- U-turn
- Grassy Glide
- Knock Off
- Drain Punch

Trevenant @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 244 HP / 14 Atk / 248 SpD
Careful Nature
IVs: 0 SpA
- Leech Seed
- Will-O-Wisp
- Substitute
- Poltergeist

Tapu Bulu @ Terrain Extender
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Horn Leech
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Synthesis

Rotom-Mow @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Substitute
- Thunderbolt
- Dark Pulse

Amoonguss @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 168 Def / 92 SpD
Bold Nature
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Toxic

It is still improving, I try things. If you have any advice, I'll take it.
(on the other hand I would like to be sure, you use this team in OU?).

No, monotype, though I usually run ND mono. I am currently running BandBoom and Scarf Zarude, and after some testing, Specs Celebi for poisons, though 2 4x Uturn weaknesses means Ferro is even more pressured, and I'm not using Trev cuz I need Dhelmise.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)