SV OU Gren-Kyurem-Gliscor Core

Table Of Contents
1) A bit of self-introduction
2) Team Introduction
3) Sets and corresponding roles of each pokemon member
4) Some background while teambuilding
5) Matchups

1) A bit of self-introduction

Hello everyone! So, I am new to the community (also to the forum) and I wanted to share my SV OU team I am currently using the last 20 games or so. Usually, I am very unstable as to what kind of archetype I should focus learning, since I also am kinda new to the metagame. For now, I can safely say that I like Balance teams more,hoping I'll be able to stick to that kind of archetype.
Anyways, was trying to give some background as to what kind of player I am, since it might help with my case xD.

2) Team Introduction
1707360077980.png

Currently, I use this team, shown in the picture above. I consinder it being a balance team (If it's not,please,correct me).

3) Sets and corresponding roles of each pokemon member

Now, I will show you every pokemon member's set, while also explaining its role and contribution to this exact team.

1707360960742.png

Gliscor (M) @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 Spe
Impish Nature
- Protect
- Toxic
- Earthquake
- Knock Off

I consider Gliscor as a bulky mon,mainly due to its HP Recovery ability (also negating any other status ailment) and its base 125 Defense stat. While having an OK HP stat of 75,its Poison Heal ability helps Gliscor's sustain drastically,thus making it a very nice option as a physical wall that also can't be statused while its ability is active. I am using Tera Water, because Ground/Flying types are extemely weak to ice types (x4 Weakness). From my experience, Meowscarada, H-Lilligant (yes, I see that pokemon a lot in low ladder) and Kyurem most notable can threaten Gliscor with ease. By Tera Water, it can resist Ice type moves,but Meowscarada can also hit me with Flower Trick,which deletes Gliscor most of the time. Earthquake is a nice STAB option and Toxic promotes a bit of stall,by crippling enemies's HP bars little by little. Very usefull against troublesome mons.

1707361810219.png

Kyurem @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Pressure
Shiny: Yes
Tera Type: Ground
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Freeze-Dry
- Draco Meteor
- Earth Power
- Flash Cannon

Ah, you dont know how much I love this mon,while also hating it so hard when Draco meteor does not land. Anyways, Kyurem is our primary special attacker in the team. With its very good 130 Attack and Sp.Attack stat,this mon is extremely flexible, build and team-wise. As a special attacker,it has a bit of special variety (examples such as: Earth Power,D-Meteor,D-Pulse,Ice Beam,etc.),thus, making its special side of move sets flexible also. Freeze-Fry is mainly prefered,due to also threaten water types,which with any other ice type move,you would normally deal 0.5x damage to them. It is also very,VERY effective on Oggerpon-wellspring,because of its typing. Earth Power can threat opposing kingambits and gholdengos,which I hate them a lot.Also,it is a very solid counter to Archaludon (now being suspect tested atm). Flash Cannon can threat Fairy types,such as Clefable,Enamorus in all of its forms. My prefered item is HDB over Specs/Scarf/Life Orb, mainly because Kyurem does NOT have any form of direct/reliable recovery (Rest is not good,too bad it lost roost,if I recall correctly). Also, Specs and Scarf does not suit me well,so maybe it's a personal bias. HBD helps a lot with any form of hazards,making it immune to them.

1707362942992.png

Greninja (M) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Protean
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- Ice Beam
- Sludge Wave

Greninja is our other special-focused mon. Gren is extremely fragile,so it's also the main reason I have focus sash as my item. By having an amazing speed stat of 122,it outspeeds most of the mons in the meta,notable exeptions are: Meowscarada, Deoxys-speed and Darkrai. Sash is very usefull against mons that outright threatens gren,giving the opportunity to always strike back and deal damage to enemy mons. With its protean ability,it will always make your attack guarantee STAB (Changes typing once per battle,resets when switched),thus,rewarding risky attempts to strike back ,sometimes also scouting for enemy plays. Could have switched Sludge Wave for Grass Knot,but having a poison type move gives a bit of edge against pesky fairy types. Ice Beam is used for Grass/Dragon types primarily,since Meowsca threats gren directly. Dark Pulse and Hydro Pump are its strongest options for their corresponding typings.

1707363855613.png

Weavile (M) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Pressure
Tera Type: Dark
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Ice Shard
- Triple Axel
- Knock Off

Weavile is our one reliable physical option of the team. It has the same fragility problems with gren,so I am also using Focus Sash to always guarantee a hit to the enemy mon. Although Weavile is a very fast mon (125 Speed base stat),having an very strong base 120 Attack stat,plus being blessed of having 2 priority moves,it will always hit first,no matter what. With Fake out (and 90% of the time Ice Shard), Weavile can scout for enemy focus sashes and air balloons,in order to let Kyurem decimate enemy steel types freely,while also baiting moves like sucker punch and thunderclap. Triple Axel is our main ice type damage move,it will always OHKO most of the enemies below 75% HP,while neutral or being super effective against them. Rocky Helmet users can punish Weavile hard,as it will proc 3 times. And here comes Knock Off into play. It can remove items from various item-dependant mons (mainly gliscor,archaludon,magic guard clefable,etc),while also being a STAB move. It also lets Weavile use Triple Axel safely,if it uses Knock Off first,in order to remove Helmets.

1707364823041.png

Weezing-Galar (M) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Levitate
Tera Type: Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Defog
- Clear Smog
- Strange Steam
- Shadow Ball

G-Weezing is one of my favourite mons. Levitate is an amazing ability,letting me to switch into Ground types safely and also taking zero damage from spikes and immunity to sticky web. By removing one of my main weaknesses,G-Weezing can switch into Ground type mons (and the moves),scouting for plays,making them reveal their moves (even though 90% of the time you will know what kind of moves they will be using,just for the gimmicky guys out there). This is also our main hazard removal mon. It brings a unique playstyle to the table,mostly of utility. Clear smog punishes setup users,such as Volcarona,Zamazenta (Iron Defence+Body press) and Serperior,which also hits super effectively with this move. Strange Steam is our STAB option,also betting on the confusion chance just for the hax. Shadow Ball is used on Psychic+Ghost Type mons,which threatens G-Weezing Directly. I think by having a move that can also threat back mons that hit it super effectively back,you also chip-damage them+last hitting certain mons. Now,I use Rocky Helmet as my item,which synergizes pretty well with my base 120 Def stat and also can be an annoyance,which I like.

1707365953057.png

Araquanid (M) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Water Bubble
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 180 Atk / 76 SpD
Careful Nature
- Sticky Web
- Leech Life
- Liquidation
- Infestation

Now,as the last mon in this team,we have Araquanid,our somewhat specially defensive mon. I use the term "somewhat", because it is not primarily built as a Spd wall,but it's base 132 SpDef stat is pretty damn huge. I gave 180 Atk EV's,because Water Bubble Liquidation hits HARD,thus making the mu against Heatran and other Fire type mons more tolerable. Still,its is very bulky. I use sticky web to make mons such as Sash Meowscarada's become slower than Gren,allowing other mons to outspeed their threats. Leech Life grants a bit of sustain to itself,while also being a very good STAB option. Infestation,on the other hand,can trap pesky mons,such as Kyurem and Kingambit,forcing duels and preventing them from sweeping you late game. Liquidation is very useful against mons like Cinderace and Tusk. As an item,I also use HDB,in case I switch Araquanid into a mon that already has stacked hazards. Tera Water Liquidation + Water Bubble just deals a ton of damage,although I use it only as a last resort option.

4)Some background while teambuilding

I was very skeptical as to which mons I should use. Making a team with my all-time favourite mons was an option, but it wouldn't be that much viable. So, I tried to gather info,watching various videos and team guides, in order to understand the metagame more,thus, helping me pick a team archetype. For now, Balance teams are my favourite,because it enables every playstyle altogether,it's just NOT focused only in one arch (Hyper Offense or Stall,in instance). Note that this is how I see it,but because I dont have THAT much experience,I may be in the wrong,please,correct my view,if needed.
Starting with Kyurem and Gren,my original plan was to make utility Gren work in OU,while having Kyurem as my only "fast SpAtk" mon. It didn't work. Actually,I was hard losing. Most probably,my team was not synergizing that well (in comparison to the team that I am posting). G-Weezing took G-Slowking's spot,mainly because of its typing and its access to defog. Although Glowking is an amazing special wall,I also had a bad time using it,chances are 100% that I messed up again. Gliscor took Qwilfish's spot as to toxic user (remember the favourite mon part I was refering to?). As a more bulky mon (and better mon),it made my OU experience much more tolerable and also was the missing piece to finaly form the Gren-Kyurem-Gliscor Core. Araquanid,really was randomly put at first,but its performance in this team was exeptional. Trapping was usefull, but its job as a Web setter was what I appreciated the most.
By enabling Kyurem+Gren to take down their most notable threats,I could easily win the game,by adapting faster and better to my enemies's next moves.

5) Matchups

The most notable threats are :meowscarada:, :gholdengo:and :kingambit:. I feel that if I mess up somehow during the battle,one of these three will just sweep me. Of course,there must be more threats,but right now these three come to my mind. I will update later on the day not only with threats,but with various replays so you can see more clearly the mu.
Usually,I win against weather-based teams,especially rain,since Barraskewda is extremely fragile and Weavile can just win with Fake Out+Knock Off afterwards. Also,Archaludon dies to Kyurem,especially if I use Tera Ground. Pelliper just flat out dies with Freeze-Dry.

Thanks in advance for reading the post! I appreciate any kind of help and constructive conversations about the team. Have a nice day!

Attachments

Last edited:

awyp

'Alexa play Ladyfingers by Herb Alpert'
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Welcome to smogon, I'll give you a quick rate since I love the effort you put on this RMT.

Since this is a Webs team, I think there should be more offensive sets that being said, Gliscor should be a Swords Dance Set:

:gliscor:
Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Tera Type: Flying
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Dual Wingbeat
- Scale Shot / Protect
- Earthquake

This is essentially a sweeper set, you get pretty solid coverage all around, Dual Wingbeat hits very hard especially if you're +2 and decide to Tera plus the multi hit is very cool. Protect > Scale Shot if you really want to play a bit passive but it's your choice.

I think Kyurem should be Choice Specs personally and if you don't want to be choiced maybe consider another mon in this slot because like I said you need to abuse having Webs. Specs gives you much needed power, Boots work too but I don't think it's super optimal in this team.

Greninja should have Life Orb because it really needs that breaking power as well as maybe consider priority [Water Shuriken] over Sludge Wave (This is your choice though).

I think you need a Ghost type in this slot (Weavile) to try to keep webs up from someone trying to Rapid Spin, plus I think with all the rain teams running around a Water Resist and Fighting Resist from Barraskewda could be very welcoming. DD LO Dragapult is something to consider with this team, you can also go with Clear Body in case you have a mirror matchup with Webs.

:dragapult:
Dragapult @ Life Orb
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 224 Atk / 32 SpA / 252 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Dragon Darts
- Fire Blast
- Dragon Dance
- Phantom Force

Dragon Darts is an excellent double hit move, Phantom Force secondary stab (covers a lot of stuff for neutral hits), for Corviknight Switchins you have Fire Blast which will have a 50% chance to OHKO physical Corviknight if you Tera Fire.

32 SpA Life Orb Tera Fire Dragapult Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Corviknight: 367-432 (91.7 - 108%) -- 50% chance to OHKO

It also has a chance to OHKO Skarm without using Tera.

To deal with your Kingambit matchups I recommend opting to a Speed Boosting Great Tusk set over G-Weezing (as I explained before since this is more of a Webs team you need more abusers vs just walls) which will also give you the option to Rapid Spin if you need to get entry hazard off the floor. You can also go with an Attack Boosting option which would be 252 Attack > 252 HP (optional since running webs)

:great tusk:
Great Tusk @ Booster Energy
Ability: Protosynthesis
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Tera Type: Poison
Jolly Nature
- Bulk Up
- Headlong Rush
- Ice Spinner
- Rapid Spin

I would also consider using the Special Defense on Araq by opting into Mirror Coat > Infestation which will punish Special Attackers wanting to take Araq down as it's trying to set webs.

Good luck with the team and thanks for posting.

I appreciate your time rating my team and also suggesting some changes. Just a question tho,supposing I am willing to put :Great Tusk:in my team,which mon should I remove,in order to put Tusk as one of the team members? Thanks again for helping!:woop:

Welcome to smogon, I'll give you a quick rate since I love the effort you put on this RMT.

Since this is a Webs team, I think there should be more offensive sets that being said, Gliscor should be a Swords Dance Set:

:gliscor:
Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Tera Type: Flying
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Dual Wingbeat
- Scale Shot / Protect
- Earthquake

This is essentially a sweeper set, you get pretty solid coverage all around, Dual Wingbeat hits very hard especially if you're +2 and decide to Tera plus the multi hit is very cool. Protect > Scale Shot if you really want to play a bit passive but it's your choice.

I think Kyurem should be Choice Specs personally and if you don't want to be choiced maybe consider another mon in this slot because like I said you need to abuse having Webs. Specs gives you much needed power, Boots work too but I don't think it's super optimal in this team.

Greninja should have Life Orb because it really needs that breaking power as well as maybe consider priority [Water Shuriken] over Sludge Wave (This is your choice though).

I think you need a Ghost type in this slot (Weavile) to try to keep webs up from someone trying to Rapid Spin, plus I think with all the rain teams running around a Water Resist and Fighting Resist from Barraskewda could be very welcoming. DD LO Dragapult is something to consider with this team, you can also go with Clear Body in case you have a mirror matchup with Webs.

:dragapult:
Dragapult @ Life Orb
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 224 Atk / 32 SpA / 252 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Dragon Darts
- Fire Blast
- Dragon Dance
- Phantom Force

Dragon Darts is an excellent double hit move, Phantom Force secondary stab (covers a lot of stuff for neutral hits), for Corviknight Switchins you have Fire Blast which will have a 50% chance to OHKO physical Corviknight if you Tera Fire.

32 SpA Life Orb Tera Fire Dragapult Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Corviknight: 367-432 (91.7 - 108%) -- 50% chance to OHKO

It also has a chance to OHKO Skarm without using Tera.

To deal with your Kingambit matchups I recommend opting to a Speed Boosting Great Tusk set over G-Weezing (as I explained before since this is more of a Webs team you need more abusers vs just walls) which will also give you the option to Rapid Spin if you need to get entry hazard off the floor. You can also go with an Attack Boosting option which would be 252 Attack > 252 HP (optional since running webs)

:great tusk:
Great Tusk @ Booster Energy
Ability: Protosynthesis
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Tera Type: Poison
Jolly Nature
- Bulk Up
- Headlong Rush
- Ice Spinner
- Rapid Spin

I would also consider using the Special Defense on Araq by opting into Mirror Coat > Infestation which will punish Special Attackers wanting to take Araq down as it's trying to set webs.

Good luck with the team and thanks for posting.
This post doesn't really mention it so I'll add that Focus Sash in general is extremely hard in SV OU to pull off, and in a lot of generations as a whole. If you use Focus Sash, make sure it's your lead, and to make your lead it has to do something for the longterm progress of your team. Like your Sticky Webs Pokemon (Ribombee generally) is fast but fragile, so you put a Focus Sash on it and rocks don't matter because you are probably sacking (letting it die) Ribombee after it gets Sticky Web up.

In SV this is even worse than usual because removing hazards is really hard.

This post doesn't really mention it so I'll add that Focus Sash in general is extremely hard in SV OU to pull off, and in a lot of generations as a whole. If you use Focus Sash, make sure it's your lead, and to make your lead it has to do something for the longterm progress of your team. Like your Sticky Webs Pokemon (Ribombee generally) is fast but fragile, so you put a Focus Sash on it and rocks don't matter because you are probably sacking (letting it die) Ribombee after it gets Sticky Web up.

In SV this is even worse than usual because removing hazards is really hard.

While being not that experienced with the metagame myself, I can totally understand where you're coming from. From the gameplay videos + my own personal experience,the higher the elo,the more difficult it is to pull off Focus Sash Shenanigans,though in low ladder (I'm ±1300 elo),it is seen frequently enough.
Depending on the enemy team formation,I am using either :greninja: , :weavile: or :araquanid: as my leads, each one being the lead for multiple different reasons.
:araquanid: is the most useful+frequent one,due to players in low elo always playing some type of hyper offense teams most of the time.
:weavile: is being used as a lead if enemy uses any suicide lead,making their sashes useless because of fake out.
:greninja: is used only if their lead alone can threaten other mons in my team with ease ,thus having to cripple the threat down as fast as possible.

The lower the ladder elo,the more rewarding focus sash plays can be.
Thanks in advance for explaining your point above and letting me engage in a constructive conversation.

VicBossMG

MGS enthusiast
is an official Team Rateris a Tiering Contributor
I see some core issues like

Araquanid no need for sp def imo hpacing max attack and mirror coat over infestation is a must to simply ohko a big target like opposing specs kyurem will never ohko Araquanid and can ohko it back

another pokemon I love using with Araquanid webs is balloon gholdengo ters fairy with nasty plot, dazzling gleam, shadow ball, and recover with rather 252 hp 152+ def and 104 in speed while Also OHKOing kingambit at +4 dazzling gleam if tera and can be over Greninja imo.

as Awyp said offensive gliscor is really good under webs, but I don’t agree with dual wingbeat as knock is better alternative to remove items from Pokémon that would need it and potrn taunt over protect to stop set up mons or ID mons.

for removal great tusk over gweezing with 252 atk 252+ speed with heavy duty boots and moveset wise: rapid spin, Templar flare which doubles in power if it fails a move and becomes 140 power fire move instead on 75, headlong rush, and ice spinner for opposing gliscor and dnite.

kyurem can run the standard specs set or go boots modest to get maximum damage output, ice beam over flash cannon and gholdengo can handle fairies easily.

I see no point in having Weavile with a sash and it’s real value comes more with boots sd/ low kick (for kingambit),ice shard, triple axel, knock off set it already has amazing speed and can be a potential revenge killer or sweeper. Tera would be fighting or ice or Weavile.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)