move 2: Light Screen
move 3: Thunder Wave / Taunt / Trick
move 4: Spirit Break / Foul Play
item: Light Cay / Lagging Tail
ability: Prankster
nature: Careful
evs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]
Reflect and Light Screen allow Pokemon such as Dragapult and Gyarados to set up several times before Dynamaxing. Prankster Thunder Wave lets Grimmsnarl cripple foes or teammates to clean up late-game. Alternatively, Prankster Taunt stops setup sweepers from boosting as well as preventing opposing Pokemon like Hippowdon from setting up Stealth Rock. Prankster Trick can also be used with Lagging Tail to make even Electric-types move last. Spirit Break lets Grimmsnarl threaten opposing Dark-types such as Tyranitar and Hydreigon that aren't affected by Prankster status moves. Foul Play is an option that gives Grimmsnarl an offensive presence but leaves it weak to Dark-types. A physically defensive version of this set with an EV spread of 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD and an Impish nature can be used instead to better deal with Dragapult. Another alternative is an EV spread of 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe with an Adamant nature to make Grimmsnarl less passive and let foes KO it more easily, allowing a setup sweeper in safely.

This set works best on hyper offensive teams where Grimmsnarl can set up Reflect and Light Screen or spam Thunder Wave until a setup sweeper such as Gyarados can be switched in and sweep with its Dynamax. Other good teammates are Pokemon like Hippowdon that can give additional support to setup sweepers via Stealth Rock and Yawn or Whirlwind. Weakness Policy users such as Togekiss, Dragapult, Tyranitar, and Excadrill appreciate the reduced damage thanks to screens, allowing them to get boosts much more safely.

[SET]
name: Offensive
move 1: Darkest Lariat / Sucker Punch
move 2: Spirit Break
move 3: Bulk Up
move 4: Thunder Wave / Superpower / Sucker Punch
item: Expert Belt / Focus Sash / Sitrus Berry
nature: Adamant
evs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Darkest Lariat and Spirit Break are Grimmsnarl's best physical STAB moves, but Play Rough can be used if you prefer power to accuracy. Superpower allows Grimmsnarl to break through Steel-types, while Sucker Punch lets it pick off weakened foes. Thunder Wave is a good utility move that can stop foes from sweeping. Bulk Up lets Grimmsnarl boost up and become a stallbreaker, but it can be dangerous (how?) given Grimmsnarl's low Speed. With Prankster Substitute, Grimmsnarl can stall out its foe's Dynamax. An Expert Belt is the most cost free way of OHKOing Dragapult with Sucker Punch, while Focus Sash lets it paralyze a potential sweeper and survive a hit against it. Sitrus Berry gives Grimsnarl a bit more lasting power. The given EV spread maximizes Grimmsnarl's HP and Attack, but a bulkier spread with Special Defense investment can be used alongside Bulk Up.

This set appreciates Pokemon that can set Stealth Rock and deal chip damage, such as Ferrothorn and Hippowdon. Rotom-H is an especially good teammate, as it can deal with Steel-types such as Corviknight that give Grimmsnarl trouble and also get Grimmsnarl into battle safely with a slow Volt Switch. Steel-types also make good partners for Grimmsnarl, being able to counter Fairy-types such as Mimikyu.

Last edited by a moderator:

Theorymon

Long Live Super Mario Maker! 2015-2024
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Gonna check this now!

-For the Dual screens set, I'd personally slash on Foul Play on the last slot (probably over Taunt, I don't think I've ever seen a Grimmsnarl without an offensive move). Nice thing about Foul Play is that it gives Gimmsnarl a lot more offensive presence against non Dark-types than usual, which is especially nice since Grimmsnarl is hard to KO after dual screens. The obvious downside of course, is that Tyranitar and Hydreigon kick the crap out of you lol.

-For the stall breaker set, I think it'd be best to change it to something like this:

move 1: Darkest Lariat
move 2: Spirit Break / Play Rough
move 3: Sucker Punch / Superpower
move 4: Thunder Wave / Bulk Up / Substitute
item: Expert Belt / Life Orb / Focus Sash

So basically I changed the name to offensive because without Bulk Up, you arent always going to break stall (and not to mention, Galarian Corsola wisps you lol). Superpower is a better option than Body Press just because Body press relies on Grimmsnarl's pretty weak Defense stat. Drain Punch may be fine too, but I want other QC members to weigh on that before it gets a slash in, because I like Superpower for the huge damage it does to Ferrothorn, especially after a boost lol.

So for the last slashes: Substitute is really neat, I've seen that a lot on cart because a healthy Grimmsnarl can actually stall out Dynamax that way, granted, at great cost to itself. Thunder Wave is just a general "emergency sweep stop" move that can get you out of some serious jams. As for the item slash ins: I think whenever we have Life Orb, we need more items slashed just because Mimikyu uses Life Orb like 90% of the time lol. Expert Belt gives you a good boost against SE stuff, while Focus Sash lets you potentially paralyze a sweeper and actually survive.

Gonna check this now!

-For the Dual screens set, I'd personally slash on Foul Play on the last slot (probably over Taunt, I don't think I've ever seen a Grimmsnarl without an offensive move). Nice thing about Foul Play is that it gives Gimmsnarl a lot more offensive presence against non Dark-types than usual, which is especially nice since Grimmsnarl is hard to KO after dual screens. The obvious downside of course, is that Tyranitar and Hydreigon kick the crap out of you lol.

-For the stall breaker set, I think it'd be best to change it to something like this:

move 1: Darkest Lariat
move 3: Sucker Punch / Superpower
move 4: Thunder Wave / Bulk Up / Substitute
item: Expert Belt / Life Orb / Focus Sash

So basically I changed the name to offensive because without Bulk Up, you arent always going to break stall (and not to mention, Galarian Corsola wisps you lol). Superpower is a better option than Body Press just because Body press relies on Grimmsnarl's pretty weak Defense stat. Drain Punch may be fine too, but I want other QC members to weigh on that before it gets a slash in, because I like Superpower for the huge damage it does to Ferrothorn, especially after a boost lol.

So for the last slashes: Substitute is really neat, I've seen that a lot on cart because a healthy Grimmsnarl can actually stall out Dynamax that way, granted, at great cost to itself. Thunder Wave is just a general "emergency sweep stop" move that can get you out of some serious jams. As for the item slash ins: I think whenever we have Life Orb, we need more items slashed just because Mimikyu uses Life Orb like 90% of the time lol. Expert Belt gives you a good boost against SE stuff, while Focus Sash lets you potentially paralyze a sweeper and actually survive.
Added!

Psynergy

Triumph and Glory
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Battle Stadium Head
For the first set, I would personally remove the Thunder Wave slash on the final slot, I wouldn't drop an attacking move on Grimmsnarl. I would actually also make mention of an Adamant 252 HP / 252 Atk spread for this set as well, this is my personal preference since it lets Grimmsnarl really mess with foes expecting a more passive Screens setter. It also makes it easier for the foe to KO your Grimmsnarl and get your setup sweeper in safely.

I'd also mention Weakness Policy users as teammates, stuff like Togekiss, Dragapult, Excadrill, and Tyranitar become much scarier WP users when they've got screens protecting them as well. This lets them get their boosts much more safely and otherwise forces the opponent to play around this.

As for the second set, I'd make quick mention of possibly going bulkier with SpDef investment if using Bulk Up. Otherwise this looks good, just change "Stealth Rocks" to "Stealth Rock" and "mons" to "Pokemon" since I hear P Squared will come to my house and beat me up if I let a GP checker find these terms in an analysis.

QC 2/2

1_TrickPhony

BSS Circuit Co-host
I think Screens support should mention Eject Button as a item option. Probably as a main slash but maybe as a side note. Its pretty common, particularly on Showdown Ladder, and can allow you to achieve safe pivoting of your Togekiss/Ttar into the battlefield while getting up the primary defensive screen you need to counteract the lead Pokemon slot on your opponent. This is especially useful for Togekiss, as if your opponent has a bad matchup, you can get a free Nasty Plot to help improve your sweeping chances on the switch.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Screens should have Eject Button as an option.

Offensive kinda always wants Bulk Up. I think the set should be like:

move 3: Sucker Punch / Superpower Bulk Up
move 4: Thunder Wave / Bulk Up / Substitute / Sucker Punch
item: Sitrus Berry

and like Psynergy said; SpD spreads on this are really good. Just makes it a way better Dragapult check and synergies well with Bulk Up. Drain Punch is also cute but there’s too many slashes to add it.

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
remove add / fix (comments); (AC=add comma; RC=remove comma; SC=semicolon)
GP 1/1
[SET]
name: Screen Support
move 1: Reflect
move 2: Light Screen
move 3: Thunder Wave / Taunt
move 4: Spirit Break / Foul Play
item: Light Cay / Eject Button
nature: Careful
evs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]
Reflect and Light Screen allow Pokemon such as Dragapult and Gyarados to set up several times before Dynamaxing. Prankster Thunder Wave lets it Grimmsnarl cripple foes allowing for teammates to clean up late-game. (AH) Alternatively, Prankster Taunt stops setup sweepers from boosting as well as preventing opposing Pokemon like Hippowdon from setting up Stealth Rock. Spirit Break lets Grimmsnarl threaten opposing Dark-types such as Tyranitar and Hydreigon that aren't affected by Prankster status moves. Foul Play is an option that gives Grimmsnarl an offensive presence (RC) but leaves it weak to Dark-types. A phyiscally physically defensive version of this set with an EV spread of 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD and an Impish nature can be used instead to better deal with Dragapult. Another alternative is an EV spread of 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe with an Adamant nature to let make Grimmsnarl be less passive and let foes KO Grimmsnarl easier it more easily, allowing a setup sweeper in safely.

This set works best on hyper offensive (RH) teams where Grimmsnarl can set up Reflect and Light Screen or spam Thunder Wave until a setup sweeper such as Gyarados can be switched in and sweep with its Dynamax. Other good teammates are Pokemon like Hippowdon that can give additional support to setup sweepers via Stealth Rock and Yawn or Whirlwind spam. Weakness Policy users such as Togekiss, Dragapult, Tyranitar, and Excadrill appreciate the reduced damage thanks to screens, allowing them to get boosts much more safely.

[SET]
move 2: Spirit Break
move 3: Bulk Up
move 4: Thunder Wave / Superpower / Sucker Punch
item: Expert Belt / Life Orb / Focus Sash / Sitrus Berry

[SET COMMENTS]
Darkest Lariat and Spirit Break are Grimmsnarl's best physical STAB moves, but Play Rough can be used if you prefer power to accuracy. Superpower allows Grimmsnarl to break through Steel-types, (AC) while Sucker Punch lets it pick off weakened foes. Thunder Wave is a good utility move that can stop foes from sweeping. Bulk Up lets Grimmsnarl boost up and become a stallbreaker, but it can be dangerous (how?) given Grimmsnarl's low Speed. With Prankster Substitute, (AC) Grimmsnarl can stall out its foe's Dynamax. An Expert Belt gives Grimmsnarl extra super effective (RH) damage, (dex info, what makes it the preferred option/what does it let it do in an in-battle context?) Life Orb gives it a general boost in power at the cost of HP, (same) and Focus Sash lets it paralyze a potential sweeper and survive a hit against it. (now this one is good) (also where's Sitrus Berry?) The given EV spread maximizes Grimmsnarl's HP and Attack, but a bulkier spread with Special Defense investment can be used alongside Bulk Up.

This set appreciates Pokemon that can set Stealth Rock and deal chip damage, such as Ferrothorn or and Hippowdon. Rotom-H is an especially good teammate, as it can deal with Steel-types such as Corviknight that give Grimmsnarl trouble and also get Grimmsnarl into battle safely with a slow Volt Switch. Steel-types also make good partners for Grimmsnarl, being able to counter Fairy-types such as Mimikyu.

Theorymon

Long Live Super Mario Maker! 2015-2024
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Since The Squash hasn't impelmented the GP check for 2 months, I went ahead and did it myself, along with some minor updates to the sets. This is now uploaded!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)