GSC Cup VII - Finals [Won by Altina]

false

maybe this is heaven
is a Tournament Directoris a Forum Moderatoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a defending SCL Championis a Past SPL Champion

Henlo gamers ٩(๑•◡-๑)۶ Welcome to the finals of the GSC Cup!​

Tournament Rules:
  • General tournament rules and regulations can be found here.
  • Classic rules can be found here.
  • Standard GSC OU.
  • Best-of-three, single elimination.
  • Battles should take place on Pokemon Showdown!
Identity

About playing on alts: It is entirely allowed to play on an alt other than your own main forum name, though if your opponent wishes to confirm your identity, you must log on to your main alt to show them you are who you claim to be. This is to prevent people from pretending to be who they're not.

About playing on different servers: Tournament matches must be played on the Smogtours server. The Main PS! server is also acceptable if both parties agree to that. Other servers are not sanctioned by the TD team and playing in them might result in your game not counting. Protect yourself from that by playing in Smogtours, where we also have the power to recreate games that end due to DC's.

Scouting

On scouting opponents: Going through your opponents replays of tournament and ladder games is entirely allowed, as long as a game is public there is nothing preventing you from watching it. An exception to this is abusing powers granted to you by being staff on Smogon or PS! to gain access to information a normal user wouldn't have access to, which is strictly forbidden.

On leaking teams: Divulging private information about someone's planned team to their opponent is never allowed, and will be heavily sanctioned. Requesting that such information be divulged is also grounds for punishment. Keep your scouting to publicly available information and you'll be fine.

Timer Clause / Disconnections

On the Timer: The timer must stay on throughout the whole battle, not to be turned off even in the case of a player disconnecting as we now have a separate disconnection timer (more details here). The timer may not be turned off in any circumstance.

On Timeout losses: A player that loses by having all his time run out loses the game. This is only not the case if the player that received the timeout loss can be verified to have suffered a True Disconnection. Rematches in such cases are not allowed.

On True Disconnection: The TD team has a secret threshold of seconds that your timer must be at or above, from the moment you disconnect, for a timeout loss to be considered a True Disconnection. If your game is determined to be a True Disconnection if you played on Smogtours and contacted a TD before the room expired your game will be recreated up to the point the disconnect happened. It is the responsibility of the player that disconnected to get a TD into the room before it expires.
Battle Clauses:
  • Evasion Clause
  • OHKO Clause
  • Sleep Clause
  • Species Clause
  • Timed Battle
  • Freeze Clause
  • Sleep Trap Clause: Pokemon can't have (Sing/Sleep Powder/Hypnosis/Lovely Kiss/Spore) + (Mean Look/Spider Web) in the same moveset
Feel free to contact me or a tournament director if you have any questions regarding this tournament (or Classic in general).

TonyFlygon  vs  Altina

REPLAYS ARE REQUIRED
Deadline is October 17th at 11:59 PM (GMT -4).

Last edited:
bittersweet ending, grats altina on your win, that gar play at the end of g2 was super clean and winning cup in "not your main tier" is pretty impressive

grats tony on making gsc cup finals 3 years in a row, your consistency is astounding & your set vs fear last round is the best gsc set i've watched since the lavos days, proud of u

speaking of lavos...

I won in 2 against Tony.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen2ou-586585
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen2ou-586595

Like literally every other set of GSC I played in this cup, I won off getting bailed. Crucial games in series against FLCL, marcop and other players in every set I won, I got crucial hax in my favour, be it that one thunder crit/para, ice move freeze, thunder dodge.etc

I’m the “worst” player to ever win GSC cup, compared to past winners such as Lavos or Sulcata, I have non-existent GSC specific knowledge, do not build my own teams, and the one time I tried to make edits to a team before the finals......

1634252657175.png

With my dreams of trying to have a hand in building my team dashed, I proceeded to just be a good drone and use the teams fed to me. Ty Excal for general help throughout. Most importantly, I'd like to thank the Sisterhood and the Flygon Sux Clan for moral support, which basically goes like this
Me: Yo guys I won for GSC Cup I’m in **insert round number**
1634253325437.png

People who know me know how frequently I diss GSC and how I view it as my least favourite tier. Everything I know about this tier is just off watching a few officials, BKC mald on his ladder videos. When I started out playing Old Gens, GSC was touted as the most skillful oldgen. But if you look at the state of the tier right now, I don't think that is true anymore. From the perspective of a person that plays pretty much only cup games (other than one isolated 1500 GSC ladder run 6 months), this tier is fundamentally flawed.

The best 2 Pokemon in the tier very commonly rely on RestTalk sets to glue together teams, one of which tries to get hail mary Thunder hits while sleep talking. This makes a number of games glorified coinflips. Every round of GSC cup up till finals, all I did was load up Jynx, Gengar, Zapdos and fish fish fish. That one freeze, which you get multiple chances to fire off throughout games, that one Thunder Crit onto Snorlax, all give you opportunities to wrestle back momentum and start snowballing. Having spoken to players that actually played this tier for a few years many have spoken about how the tier has took a turn for the worse last few years with the Jynx infestation making the tier more fishy compared to past iterations of the metagame.

Something is not right with this tier. Something needs to be done. And having spoken to many other players about the state of GSC throughout the cup I think something that needs to be put on the table for serious discussion is a possible ban on Jynx. Perhaps if something is done fraudulent winners like myself will become a thing of the past and the tier can be restored to its previous state as a skilful tier.

D4 Repertoire

goin' fast
is a Tiering Contributor
I won in 2 against Tony.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen2ou-586585
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen2ou-586595

Like literally every other set of GSC I played in this cup, I won off getting bailed. Crucial games in series against FLCL, marcop and other players in every set I won, I got crucial hax in my favour, be it that one thunder crit/para, ice move freeze, thunder dodge.etc

I’m the “worst” player to ever win GSC cup, compared to past winners such as Lavos or Sulcata, I have non-existent GSC specific knowledge, do not build my own teams, and the one time I tried to make edits to a team before the finals......

View attachment 377648

With my dreams of trying to have a hand in building my team dashed, I proceeded to just be a good drone and use the teams fed to me. Ty Excal for general help throughout. Most importantly, I'd like to thank the Sisterhood and the Flygon Sux Clan for moral support, which basically goes like this
Me: Yo guys I won for GSC Cup I’m in **insert round number**
View attachment 377651

People who know me know how frequently I diss GSC and how I view it as my least favourite tier. Everything I know about this tier is just off watching a few officials, BKC mald on his ladder videos. When I started out playing Old Gens, GSC was touted as the most skillful oldgen. But if you look at the state of the tier right now, I don't think that is true anymore. From the perspective of a person that plays pretty much only cup games (other than one isolated 1500 GSC ladder run 6 months), this tier is fundamentally flawed.

The best 2 Pokemon in the tier very commonly rely on RestTalk sets to glue together teams, one of which tries to get hail mary Thunder hits while sleep talking. This makes a number of games glorified coinflips. Every round of GSC cup up till finals, all I did was load up Jynx, Gengar, Zapdos and fish fish fish. That one freeze, which you get multiple chances to fire off throughout games, that one Thunder Crit onto Snorlax, all give you opportunities to wrestle back momentum and start snowballing. Having spoken to players that actually played this tier for a few years many have spoken about how the tier has took a turn for the worse last few years with the Jynx infestation making the tier more fishy compared to past iterations of the metagame.

Something is not right with this tier. Something needs to be done. And having spoken to many other players about the state of GSC throughout the cup I think something that needs to be put on the table for serious discussion is a possible ban on Jynx. Perhaps if something is done fraudulent winners like myself will become a thing of the past and the tier can be restored to its previous state as a skilful tier.
Lavos makes Cup Final three consecutive years and wins it twice; and Tony, starting in the last year that Lavos won, makes three finals in a row. Yet, according to you, somehow GSC is a "glorified coinflip" and Jynx of all things needs to be banned??? We get it: we saw you play; you don't understand the tier. Take your stolen victory and leave this tier alone.

Lavos makes Cup Final three consecutive years and wins it twice; and Tony, starting in the last year that Lavos won, makes three finals in a row. Yet, according to you, somehow GSC is a "glorified coinflip" and Jynx of all things needs to be banned??? We get it: we saw you play; you don't understand the tier. Take your stolen victory and leave this tier alone.
cringe go post a funny meme

this post grinded my gears so bad that i just flipped a quarter 73 times in a row and got heads every time, thus singlehandedly proving altina's gsc coinflip theory.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)