GSC Ingame Discussion

QuentinQuonce

formerly green_typhlosion
green_typhlosion Your trick worked, thank you!

Unfortunately, the Chikorita I was breeding to have Leech Seed doesn't have it :(

I'm not even sure why (the father, an Exeggcute, does).
Hmm. That's curious, given that I bred one with Leech Seed myself a couple of weeks ago. Did you breed any other moves onto it? Sometimes an abundance of egg moves can mean others get pushed out, but afaik that shouldn't be the case here - Chikorita doesn't get enough egg moves for that to happen.

Nokocchi Agree, but don't you need a partner to use Mystery Gift?
You do. I've been making good use of it as I'm trying to get all the room decorations.

That was another unsolved mystery from back in the day - I always wondered what the woman in the Goldenrod City Pokemon Centre would do when you gave her an Eon Mail. So I was thrilled to finally get one! I rushed to the Pokemon Centre, duly handed it over, and she rewarded me with... a Revive.

You know, like you can buy 10 steps across the road. :facepalm:

Nokocchi Agree, but don't you need a partner to use Mystery Gift?
The NPC(Who is named Carrie, and canonically the girl you talk to in the Goldenrod Department Store to unlock Mystery Gift) allows you to use Mystery Gift without needing another Gen II game. The Pikachu Bed, Unown Doll, and Tentacool Doll decorations can only be obtained via interacting with her in Stadium 2.

That was another unsolved mystery from back in the day - I always wondered what the woman in the Goldenrod City Pokemon Centre would do when you gave her an Eon Mail. So I was thrilled to finally get one! I rushed to the Pokemon Centre, duly handed it over, and she rewarded me with... a Revive.

If you have a Pokemon Pikachu 2 GS(Think of it as the precursor to HGSS's Pokewalker), it is easy to make some money off of it. How many Watts you use when try Mystery gift determines what items the GSC gets. Eon Mail is one of the items you can send to a Gen II game, so you can farm those, get a Revive, and sell them for a Profit. Eon Mail happens to be the cheapest item to send, only needing 50 Watts. IIRC too, unlike the Mystery Gift used on other Gen II games or Carrie from Stadium 2, you can do this as many times per day as you want to.

QuentinQuonce

If you have a Pokemon Pikachu 2 GS(Think of it as the precursor to HGSS's Pokewalker), it is easy to make some money off of it. How many Watts you use when try Mystery gift determines what items the GSC gets. Eon Mail is one of the items you can send to a Gen II game, so you can farm those, get a Revive, and sell them for a Profit. Eon Mail happens to be the cheapest item to send, only needing 50 Watts. IIRC too, unlike the Mystery Gift used on other Gen II games or Carrie from Stadium 2, you can do this as many times per day as you want to.
I play GSC more or less exclusively on the VC nowadays, so sadly it's not an option (the 3DS' infrared port is on a different wavelength to all of the Gen II-era devices).

I thought about posting here upon seeing this thread, though I was unsure about it. But now since I got tagged, I decided to give it a shot. It took a few days to get this post done because I wanted to focus on other things and I wanted this post to be pretty good. It could probably have become even better if I had spent more time on it, but I wanted to get it done rather quickly and not spend an eternity on it like I tend to do for longer posts here on the forums.

Introduction

It has been many years since I last played G/S/C. I think the last time I played them at all was in 2010 (and then it was only to compare some things in them to how it was in HG/SS) and the last time I played them seriously must have been in 2006 or maybe even earlier. I am currently not playing them and I have no plans to return to them anytime soon. In fact, I am unable to return to the since the batteries of my game carts are dead. Because of that, I wasn’t really sure what to post here. So, for the lack of something better, I decided to simply post some of my memories from G/S/C as well as some general opinions of the games. I hope that’s okay. I have already said several of these things in other posts here at the forums, so I want to apologize for repeating myself at times.

My first Pokémon game was Blue, but my second was Silver and my third was Crystal. Gold ended up being my fifth. Before I got either of the Gen 2 games myself, I had seen other people playing them. The most notable was one guy at a summer camp one year, I recall him having a lot of cool Pokémon on his team. Yet he did not use any of them, he just trained a Mr. Mime instead. I think I also had the opportunity to play the beginning of the game after having the chance to borrow it from a kid at school, but I never got very far and had to give it back quickly. I remember getting to the point where I got to pick my starter, but not much further than that.

English is not my first language, and I did not understand everything when I played through G/S/C as a kid. However, I understood a bit more in Silver than in Blue. I also played Silver a bit differently compared to Blue, I was more willing to take risks now. In Blue, I had often gotten stuck because I was afraid to explore or backtrack (though I think the Kanto games could also have done better when it comes to telling the player where to go next, their game design is a bit lacking in that aspect, but that’s for a different discussion). I had also learned a lot about the general gameplay and game mechanics after playing Blue, which was very useful when I played through Silver.

Memories from the games

I have many memories from playing G/S/C. Especially from my first playthrough of Silver, so let’s start with everything I can remember from it. I picked Totodile as my starter because my mindset as a kid was “The Water starter is objectively the best in every possible way and anyone who says otherwise is wrong”. And in a sort of self-fulfilling prophecy, I remember that my starter Totodile managed to solo basically the entire game by itself. It had a moveset of Slash / Bite / Surf / Hydro Pump, which I thought was the optimal moveset for a Feraligatr back then. That said, I did have some other team members as well. The ones I can remember were Ampharos, Togetic, Umbreon and eventually Lugia. Unsure about the last one though. It might have been Pidgeot, but I’m not sure.

I remember that since I only used my starter, it became a Feraligatr very early. I think it happened around the rival battle at the Burned Tower. I also somehow managed to evolve my Togepi into Togetic relatively early, around Cianwood or so. I remember it evolving around level 15. Not sure how in the world I managed to do that, but I did. I don’t think my Ampharos was fully evolved until I was in the post-game, but it evolved from Mareep into Flaaffy around the same time as my Togepi became a Togetic. As for Umbreon, it evolved from Eevee during the post-game, when I was going to Kanto with the SS. Aqua for the first time. I don’t remember the movesets for most of the team, but apart from Feraligatr, I am pretty sure my Umbreon had a final moveset of Faint Attack / Psychic / Shadow Ball / Moonlight. Despite being a defensive Pokémon, I recall it working pretty well offensively as well.

When I started that playthrough, I remember that I set the clock completely wrong because I was sometimes very stupid as a kid. I set it so it was mostly night during the day and day during the night, it was like I was playing Moon or Ultra Moon 15 years before they even existed. I remember that I almost never got to groom my Pokémon at Daisy’s because it was in the middle of the night for me when it was 3-4 PM in the game.

While I mostly managed to solo the game with my starter Feraligatr, I had some hard battles along the way. I remember losing against Whitney on my first try, then I managed to beat her on my second try. Not sure how, but it might have involved sacrificing the other members of my team against her Rollout-using Miltank and then sending Croconaw back in once the Rollout had ended. I also remember that when I faced Lance, my Feraligatr was out of PP for most of its moves. But then it learned Hydro Pump during the battle (which means it must have reached level 58, crazy!). I ended up having only PP left for Hydro Pump and used it to beat the remains of Lance’s team despite it not being very effective against his Dragonite.

Regarding the main story in the games, I remember that my favorite part was when Team Rocket was taking over the Radio Tower in Goldenrod. The first time I played Silver, I thought of it as “the mystery in Goldenrod City”. It was really fun, but I remember that I got disappointed by the story ending pretty much afterwards since I had expected it to continue into something more and even cooler. When I played HG/SS, I remember that I got massively disappointed by the story, especially the Radio Tower part. It was nowhere near as great as I remembered it from G/S/C.

I remember that even back when I played Silver for the first time, I really didn’t like the rival. He was so mean and cruel, he reminded me of the jerks and bullies at school so I did not approve of his role in the games. I also got annoyed by how he randomly ambushed me at times. I remember that on my first playthrough of Silver, I made it all the way to Olivine once before beating Morty. But then I met the rival there, and I thought he was going to battle me, so I actually turned my game off, losing a lot of progress.

I also have some memories regarding specific Pokémon in this playthrough. First, there’s Sudowoodo. In this playthrough, I encountered it as a roadblock, and I defeated it because I thought there would be another one to catch later on. There had been two Snorlax in Blue, so surely there must be two Sudowoodo in Silver, right? Nope. Because of that, I never got a Sudowoodo on that playthrough. But I learned something from that, so I made sure to catch it in all subsequent playthroughs of the Johto games.

Second, there’s Larvitar. I had managed to find a Larvitar at Mt. Silver, and then one of my friends told me that Larvitar apparently had a really cool evolution. So I started training it. But then, my friend told me that he had been wrong. His friend (which I did not know at that time) had told him that it was not Larvitar’s evolution that was cool, but rather the evolution of Larvitar’s evolution. So it meant more training. I continued training my Larvitar, it reached level 30 and became a Pupitar. Okay, not so cool. But since it apparently had a cooler evolution, I continued training it.

I was wondering when it would evolve again. Level 38 maybe? Nah, too early. 40 is more likely. But it didn’t evolve at level 40 either. Okay, I’ll just continue training it. 42 then? Nope. 44? 45? 48? Okay, it has to evolve at level 50. But upon reaching level 50, Pupitar still hadn’t evolved! How long was this going to take? I was starting to lose patience, but I was still determined to see that cool final evolution, so I continued training Larvitar. Then a thought occurred to me. In Blue, there had been Dratini. It evolved into Dragonite at level 30 and then into Dragonite at level 55. What if it was the same for Larvitar, if it was the “Dratini of Silver”, so to say? It had evolved into Pupitar at level 30, maybe it would evolve into whatevertar at level 55? And that’s exactly what happened! Upon reaching level 55, my Pupitar finally evolved into Tyranitar. Which was really cool, just as I had been told.

I also want to talk about my experiences with catching Lugia and Ho-Oh for the first time in Silver. Regarding Lugia, I had somehow learned that it had to be found at Whirl Islands. But where exactly, and how was I supposed to find it there? I explored the Islands thoroughly, and I don’t remember exactly how, but I somehow managed to make it to the bottom where Lugia resided. I was for once smart enough to save before encountering it, because I remember that I failed to catch it the first time around but I could simply reset the game. Then I successfully got it on my second try. I must have been in school when I first encountered it, because I remember that I was walking home with a friend to his house when I made my second attempt. We were both so excited that we couldn’t wait until we got to his house, we just had to catch it along the way! I have a memory of us walking over the railway which we had to cross to get to his house, hopefully we did watch out for trains when we did that. Anyway, I eventually managed to catch Lugia, by that point we had reached my friend’s house. We were both super happy and excited about it. I showed it for my other friends the next day and they were very surprised.

Then there’s Ho-Oh. I had managed to get the Rainbow Wing from a random NPC in Pewter City so I could access the Tin Tower. Looking back at it now, that is a very random way to get an item for a legendary Pokémon. Anyway, I went to Tin Tower to explore it. One of my friends, who was more knowledgeable about Pokémon than me at the time, had told me that he had been at Tin Tower in Gold but there was “nothing” to be found there. Well, there had to be something! I explored the place and eventually managed to solve the puzzle, making it all the way to the top where I found Ho-Oh! I managed to catch it as well. The next day at school, I showed it for my friend and he was very surprised.

I also remember that I had some guidebooks for the games. One for G/S and one for Crystal. Sadly, I can’t remember exactly what they featured and I do no longer have them, so I can’t go back and check. I think they were missing a lot of vital information though. But at the same time, they did teach me some notable things such as where and when to find Lapras, which I would never have been able to figure out on my own.

One other thing I remember from Silver is that I managed to solve how to access the Magnet Train before any of my friends did. There was even friend to one of my friends who I did personally not know at the time (but I would later get to know him as well) who was a big expert on Pokémon, but he had not figured out how to do this. So I got to meet him and tell/show him how to do. That was really cool.

Last thing I want to share from Silver is that I remember that I let some friends borrow it and play through it. First, there was one guy in my class. He kept it for a very long while, but I don’t think he ever managed to beat the main story. And I don’t think he evolved his Quilava into Typhlosion either for some unknown reason. I eventually got the game back from him, but I had to remind him a lot to bring it back to me. Then I let another friend borrow it as well. He managed to beat it at least, and we often played together. I later got it back from him when he felt done with it.

That’s it for Silver. Next up is Crystal. On my first playthrough of it, I remember that I used Chikorita as my starter, and it was not good. In fact, it is the worst starter I have ever used and my least favorite out of all starters that exist. It was an utter nightmare as it struggled in almost every single important battle, the only exception was Whitney out of all trainers. I remember that my then-Bayleef nuked her so hard. It was a bit overleveled in that battle though. On my second playthrough, I used Feraligatr again instead of Meganium, and it rocked just like in Silver.

As said in the unpops thread, Crystal is my favorite Gen 2 game, and my overall favorite Johto game. It did some neat improvements over G/S and I appreciated those. It is not without issues though, I missed being able to catch Mareep as it is one of my favorite Johto Pokémon lines. But I could at least get it through trade.

Crystal also featured the first ever battle facility in the series, the Battle Tower. When I played Crystal as a kid, I occasionally tried to beat it, but I never managed to do so. At best, I managed to win one or two, maybe even three battles in a row. Never more. I always found it so hard to beat. I would love to go back and give it another try now that I have more experience with battle facilities thanks to having played a lot at the facilities in the newer generations.

Then there’s the legendary beasts. Roaming legendaries is a concept I have always disliked, and I am not happy about how it was introduced in G/S/C. But I liked how Suicune was no longer a roamer in Crystal. I know for sure that I never managed to catch all of the roamers in either of my games, though I managed to catch all of them (albeit on different games) in order to complete the Pokédex. Speaking of which, I remember that I completed the Pokédex on all three of my Johto games, the only ones I missed were Mew and Celebi, the two mythicals. There was apparently a Celebi event for G/S/C in my country (according to what a guy on a different forum told me) but I missed it. As for Mew, I suppose I could have gotten it through the Mew Trick on R/B/Y, and I did so on my very last replay of Red, but then I never traded it to any of my Johto games.

Sadly, I don’t have much else to share from Crystal. So let’s move on to Gold. Unlike the others, I only played through it once. I know for sure I played through Crystal twice, and Silver at least twice as well, maybe even three times.

From my Gold playthrough, I remember that I picked Cyndaquil as my starter, and it is my favorite Johto starter nowadays. Totodile is second, and Chikorita last. On my Gold playthrough, I created my “Dream team” for that time. Sadly, I can’t remember all of the members of it right now. I know the first three were Typhlosion (starter), Feraligatr (traded over from another game) and Bellossom. The last three might have been Ampharos, Togetic and Pidgeot (or maybe just 1-2 of them), but I don’t remember exactly. Though I remember that I really liked that team and had lots of fun with it.

That’s it for my memories related to the specific games. Next, I want to share some thoughts on various general things about G/S/C.

Sprites

First, the sprites. On the whole, I think the sprites in Gold are generally much better than the sprites in Silver. There are some exceptions though, I think the most notable is Lugia.

1626264451235.png

Silver Lugia is amazing. It looks so terrifying, as it is about to shoot an Aeroblast right at you.

1626264464539.png

Gold Lugia, on the other hand, is terrible. It looks really derpy in a very negative way, not suitable for a mascot legend at all. I don’t know how or why they made it looks so bad, it is as if they made it look bad on purpose. Can’t believe they used this as the basis for the Crystal sprite rather than the Silver sprite, though it looks a little better in Crystal at least.

Interestingly, the opposite happens for Ho-Oh.

1626264487693.png

Gold Ho-Oh looks rather intimidating, this is not a bird you want to mess with.

1626264499295.png

Silver Ho-Oh on the other hand, looks like a derpy chicken.

Then there are some sprites that look awful in G/S, but good in Crystal. One of the most notable is Raikou.

1626264379666.png

In G/S, it doesn’t even look like Raikou. Half of its facial features are missing (and the colors are a bit wrong, though that might be because of technical limitations). I have seen G/S Raikou being nominated as the worst sprite in Pokémon history, and I’m actually willing to agree.

Fortunately, they fixed it in Crystal. Now it looks just like it should.

On the whole, I can understand why they mostly used the Gold sprites as the base for many of the Crystal sprites. I think Crystal has the best Gen 2 sprites for the most part. They look livelier and more colorful, this is probably because the GBC had better color capacities than the regular Game Boy. I also like how they are animated. Some are still better in Gold or Silver though. Another thing I liked was how Gold and Silver had different sprites, that was something really unique and pretty cool in retrospect. Though at the same time, it was a bit unnecessary and I understand why they never did it again in any future games.

Breeding and baby Pokémon

When I was a kid, I was into the Pokémon TCG a lot. In fact, it was how I got into the franchise in the first place. It started with the TCG for me, not the games or the Anime. I used to collect, trade and battle other kids with the cards. Now I no longer do (lost interest in the TCG during early Gen 3), but I have some really good memories from the TCG. Some that are actually related to the games, so I decided to share them here as well.

First, the TCG fooled me a bit with one card named Moo-Moo Milk.

Full info here.
It has images of Miltank on the milk bottles, as well as a Cleffa standing by the door. Since I did not know about Cleffa at the time, I thought that the Pokémon on the image was a pre-evolution for Miltank named Moo-Moo. It wasn’t until much later that I learned how wrong I had been about that.

Then there was another thing. The Mareep line had been featured in the first TCG set for Gen 2, Neo Genesis. Then Mareep got featured in the next set, Neo Discovery, as well. I also had an empty spot in the Pokédex right before Mareep in my games. Why would they feature it in both TCG sets, and why was there an empty spot right before it in the Pokédex? I thought that this could only mean one thing: Mareep had a baby form! These two things made too much sense for me to not believe this. So I put an Ampharos and Ditto in the Day-Care, excited to see what baby Mareep would look like… and then I was very disappointed when the egg hatched into a regular Mareep instead of a baby Mareep.

Another memory related to breeding is this: I remember reading once that if you bred a shiny Pokémon, the odds of getting a shiny from the eggs were high. So I decided to try this by putting my shiny Gyarados and a Ditto in the Day-Care to see if I could get a shiny Magikarp. I hatched 3 eggs or something, but none of them were shiny. I thought that the rumor I had heard had been false, and I did not have the patience to keep trying, so I just gave up. Maybe if I had had higher patience, I could have gotten a shiny Magikarp eventually. But it never happened.

I also remember that I had a Typhlosion that I tried to breed together with a Ditto, but it just never worked. I got the message “It is brimming with energy” or something instead of the standard messages you would get that indicated that they could breed successfully. Now that I look back, I believe this was because their IVs were too similar. In G/S/C, two Pokémon can’t breed if their IVs are too similar because of a potential family relation (which they didn’t have in this case). According to Bulbapedia:
If the Defense IVs of two partners are the same, and the Special IVs are either the same or differ by 8, the two Pokémon are incompatible. This is due to the high likelihood of a family relation, hence the inability to breed.
I remember being very annoyed by how my Typhlosion and Ditto couldn't breed when all of my other Pokémon could breed with Ditto. If I had known about the thing with IVs back then, I could just have caught a different Ditto and used it instead. But I didn’t do that. I didn’t need to either, because a friend bred a Cyndaquil on one of his games and traded it to me, which I could also use for any future breeding.

I saw some posts here in this thread about how there aren’t any good places to hatch eggs quickly in G/S/C (as well as R/S, FR/LG and HG/SS), and I agree. But there was one path for hatching eggs that I used in the games which featured Kanto. I started in Saffron City (taking the train from Goldenrod is good in G/S/C), then went west to Celadon, further out to Cycling Road, down through it and east to Fuchsia, then east to routes 12-15 and further up to either Lavender or Vermilion, then to Saffron again. Then I just repeated this cycle until all eggs had hatched. Far from the most efficient method and nowhere near as great as just having a straight line in most modern games, but it worked.

Music

I want to talk a little about the music in the games as well. I agree with a lot of the tracks green_typhlosion posted, but not all of them (“Places and People” is actually one of my least favorites from G/S/C), and I wanted to add two more favorites of my own.

Goldenrod City. This is my favorite city track in G/S/C. It gives a relaxing but also bittersweet and melancholic vibe, which I think is perfect for a big city. I always spent a lot of time in Goldenrod in G/S/C just so I could listen to the music. Unfortunately, I do not like the HG/SS version at all, I think the remakes ruined it completely.

Lake of Rage and the surrounding routes. This track always gave me a feeling of exploration, that a grand adventure was taking place. I like the original version, but I actually like the FR/LG version the very best. The HG/SS version is also okay, but not the best.

Training spots

One thing that is very important for me in Pokémon games is training spots, especially during the post-game. G/S/C are far from the best in this area, but they were decent for their time at least. When I trained Pokémon in the games, I never really bothered with rematches through the PokéGear (unless one of the trainers I had registered called me through it, but that rarely happened). Instead, I always used Cal at the Trainer House, as well as Rival rematches at Mondays and Wednesdays. I often used E4 rematches for training as well, or battled wild Pokémon in or around Mt. Silver. Later on, I also discovered that the trainers on the SS. Aqua could be rebattled infinitely, so I abused that like crazy on the days when the boat sailed.

The most underrated Pokémon in G/S/C

As for the most underrated Pokémon in G/S/C, I want to nominate Togetic.

Is it good? Probably not. It has pretty lackluster stats and an annoying evolution method, but it has a quite good movepool. I remember using it a lot during my playthroughs and I recall that it actually worked quite well. Far from the best, but still very fun to use. I also loved using Metronome and seeing what random moves I would get from it! But sometimes I got really bad results, like that one time I only had Togetic in my party, went out to fight a random Pokémon on Route 29, used Metronome, and got Explosion! Which led me to whiting out and losing a lot of money. And stupid as I was, I didn’t reset my game afterwards, I just continued as if nothing had happened.

Opinion on the games

My overall opinion of G/S/C has changed massively over the years. In the distant past, from when I first played Silver and up to some point during Gen 3, I often considered G/S/C to be the best Pokémon games. This later changed after playing Emerald and D/P as I started to prefer those instead. Then, upon the announcement of HG/SS, I started thinking more positively about G/S/C again. But after the disaster that HG/SS were, I started getting very negative towards G/S/C. I considered them the worst games along with R/B/Y and HG/SS (and I sort of still do, but I don’t think G/S/C are the very worst anymore). When discussing G/S/C on Pokémon forums after I got back into Pokémon thanks to B/W, I was extremely negative towards G/S/C and I hated on them for every little thing they did wrong (and even for some things they did right) while I refused to acknowledge anything positive or good about them.

But as time went on, I realized that G/S/C weren’t that bad. While I didn’t think they were good, I could agree that they had been good for their time at least. And as time went on even further, I realized that I actually liked G/S/C better than HG/SS. And that is my current opinion of them as well. G/S/C are far from my favorite Pokémon games, but they are not my very least favorites either as that award goes to HG/SS. On the whole, I consider Gen 2 to be my least favorite, but that is more because of HG/SS than G/S/C.

In the past, I also used to see nostalgia as something very negative. When other people said that their favorites were G/S/C or HG/SS because of nostalgia, I thought that was a very stupid reason for liking a game. I personally preferred my own “superior” reasons (as I saw it) for liking the newer games instead. But now that I look back, I think that those who like or prefer a Pokémon game because of nostalgia are allowed to have that opinion. While I still disagree with them, I can respect their opinion. And I have realized that I personally have what I like to call “positive nostalgia” for G/S/C. As said, they were good for their time, and I had tons of fun with them back in the day. Far from enough to make them my favorite games, but enough to make me actually like them in the end. Now that I look back at them, I can do it in a way more positive way compared to in the past.

As I said in the unpops thread recently, and as I said above, I prefer G/S/C over HG/SS. I think that G/S/C had a special atmosphere or just a “feeling” that the remakes didn’t manage to recreate. Neither did the remakes do any significant or noteworthy improvements over the originals, so I prefer G/S/C because they were at least good for their time and I have a (positive) nostalgic attachement to them which I don't have for HG/SS.

That said, when I look back at G/S/C now, there’s no denying that they have some really serious issues. The level curve and the Pokémon distribution has been talked about so much to the point that there’s no need to say anything more about them. There’s also the lackluster post-game. You have an entire second region to explore, but it isn’t good. G/S/C also did a very bad job at showcasing many of their new mechanics and features in a good way, such as Steel/Dark-types or breeding.

I also remember from when I played Pokémon as a kid, when I wanted to replay a game, I’d rather replay R/B/Y than G/S/C. I think this might unconsciously have been because of the level curve and R/B/Y having overall better gameplay than G/S/C. I wasn’t really able to figure out why back then, but somehow, I just thought R/B/Y were much more fun to replay than G/S/C. I did enjoy the post-game of G/S/C more than the post-game of R/B/Y though.

Going back to G/S/C again

As for playing G/S/C again… I am currently unable to do so because the batteries for all of my games are dead. However, I have considered re-buying Crystal from the 3DS VC. Partly because it is my favorite Johto game, but it would also be nice to have a version of it that will never die due to internal battery. Apart from that, there are two major things I want to do in Crystal which I never got to do in my original cart. The first is to beat the Battle Tower in some kind of way. The second is to catch all the legendaries. While I managed to catch Suicune, Lugia and at least one of Raikou/Entei in my Crystal cart, I never caught both of the two remaining beasts. And because of that, I never got to catch Ho-Oh in Crystal either. Plus, as a bonus in the VC version, I will have the ability to catch Celebi as well!

So that is something I have been thinking about, but I’m not sure if/when it will happen. I am currently burnt out on Pokémon and I really need another break from the games once I am done with my current project. I have considered taking a break from these forums as well, the main reason I have stayed up to now is because I have had some long posts in the works. But now I am finally done with all of them (the last ones were my two recent long ones about the Johto games in the unpops thread, but now this one ended up being pretty long as well). So maybe I’ll end up taking a break for the forums as well. Not sure though. We’ll have to see.

Last words

To end all of this, how about a photo? I love adding photos and images to my posts here on the forums because I think it makes things more fun to read. So, here’s a photo of my three G/S/C games!

Only the cartridges because I do no longer have the boxes.

Those are my thoughts on G/S/C and my memories with the games. I tried to make this post as structured as possible, hope everything makes sense. I mostly just wrote down everything I could remember. Ask if you have any questions. This also got much longer than I had planned. I thought I was done with making long posts here on the forums for the time being, but that was wrong. Maybe after this instead. But this was very fun to write at least. Not sure if I’ll be able to contribute anything else to this thread after this. Thanks for reading.

Last edited:

QuentinQuonce

So because it was the one objective I mentioned that I hadn't completed (and also because the thesis I'm writing at the moment is slow and painful going and I need distractions) I decided to finish the Unown Mode in the Pokedex by catching all 26 variants. I've solved all the puzzles on my Crystal save file, thereby releasing all 26 forms of Unown. Switching to the Unown Mode informs me that I've caught 12 forms of Unown already, with another 14 yet to be caught.

However, Bulbapedia mentions that the Z Unown is always, no matter what, the least common, so sod that. I am not hunting about in the Ruins for a Pokemon with a less than 1/26 appearance rate. No way. Because each of the four chambers unlocks a certain set of letters, I figured I'd use a different save file and only open the chamber which unlocks X, Y, and Z to make finding it easier, then trade it over.

But it turns out I've unlocked the initial chamber on all three of my save files: Gold, Silver, and Crystal. Urgh. Luckily my second 3DS has Crystal downloaded too; there isn't currently a save file on it, so I'll have to wait until I play through that again to hunt for the X, Y, and Z forms.

It has been many years since I last played G/S/C. I think the last time I played them at all was in 2010 (and then it was only to compare some things in them to how it was in HG/SS) and the last time I played them seriously must have been in 2006 or maybe even earlier. I am currently not playing them and I have no plans to return to them anytime soon. In fact, I am unable to return to the since the batteries of my game carts are dead. Because of that, I wasn’t really sure what to post here. So, for the lack of something better, I decided to simply post some of my memories from G/S/C as well as some general opinions of the games. I hope that’s okay. I have already said several of these things in other posts here at the forums, so I want to apologize for repeating myself at times.
Another great post, I really enjoy your insights.

Sprites

First, the sprites. On the whole, I think the sprites in Gold are generally much better than the sprites in Silver. There are some exceptions though, I think the most notable is Lugia.

View attachment 358473
Silver Lugia is amazing. It looks so terrifying, as it is about to shoot an Aeroblast right at you.

View attachment 358474
Gold Lugia, on the other hand, is terrible. It looks really derpy in a very negative way, not suitable for a mascot legend at all. I don’t know how or why they made it looks so bad, it is as if they made it look bad on purpose. Can’t believe they used this as the basis for the Crystal sprite rather than the Silver sprite, though it looks a little better in Crystal at least.
Just to be contrary though, I completely disagree! The Gold sprite makes it look more intelligent and like it's prepared to swoop down on you. The spread arms with different positions is more interesting to look at and I like the way the fins are flared. The Silver one is flat and makes it look too happy. IMO this is the derpy one!

In fairness, Lugia and Ho-Oh have not been blessed in the sprite department. So many of their sprites GSC up to BW had them in basically the same position. I guess they're hard to animate in any other position. Ironically the Gen VI games did them a favour here (while making so many other Pokemon look terrible) - those are the first games which properly show off Lugia's sheer size.

Though admittedly I love Lugia's sprite in the Gen III games, it looks utterly ferocious.

Interestingly, the opposite happens for Ho-Oh.

View attachment 358475
Gold Ho-Oh looks rather intimidating, this is not a bird you want to mess with.

View attachment 358476
Silver Ho-Oh on the other hand, looks like a derpy chicken.
I quite like both of these but I do think the Gold one edges it out just slightly. The shape makes it look bigger and more intimidating.

Agreed on Raikou though, it's hideous in GS. I believe it was based off an early design and they might not have had the time to rework it.

I believe Crystal was made using Gold as the template, which is why the majority of sprites seem to come from that version. Or maybe that's just reading into it too much, idk. Anyway, idk if you've ever seen this but your post reminded me of it.

1626270883847.png

(Though I do think Dragonair looks better in Silver/Crystal but this is a potentially endless rabbit hole so...)

I saw some posts here in this thread about how there aren’t any good places to hatch eggs quickly in G/S/C (as well as R/S, FR/LG and HG/SS), and I agree. But there was one path for hatching eggs that I used in the games which featured Kanto. I started in Saffron City (taking the train from Goldenrod is good in G/S/C), then went west to Celadon, further out to Cycling Road, down through it and east to Fuchsia, then east to routes 12-15 and further up to either Lavender or Vermilion, then to Saffron again. Then I just repeated this cycle until all eggs had hatched. Far from the most efficient method and nowhere near as great as just having a straight line in most modern games, but it worked.
This is actually more or less the route I usually take when hatching eggs in FR/LG - Celadon to Fuchsia, Fuchsia to Lavender, Lavender to Celadon via Saffron. I've never actually used it in GSC, weirdly enough. Not sure why, but I guess it's that it feels more of an imposition to go all the way to Kanto than it does in FRLG from Four Island. As I said I tend to just watch TV and go up and down the National Park route.

Music

I want to talk a little about the music in the games as well. I agree with a lot of the tracks green_typhlosion posted, but not all of them (“Places and People” is actually one of my least favorites from G/S/C), and I wanted to add two more favorites of my own.

Goldenrod City. This is my favorite city track in G/S/C. It gives a relaxing but also bittersweet and melancholic vibe, which I think is perfect for a big city. I always spent a lot of time in Goldenrod in G/S/C just so I could listen to the music. Unfortunately, I do not like the HG/SS version at all, I think the remakes ruined it completely.

Lake of Rage and the surrounding routes. This track always gave me a feeling of exploration, that a grand adventure was taking place. I like the original version, but I actually like the FR/LG version the very best. The HG/SS version is also okay, but not the best.
Ugh I don't know how I left LoR out! One of the best tracks for sure. Most of the Johto route themes are excellent too - there isn't really a dud imo. They all conjure up that feeling of exploration and discovery. But the whole area around Mahogany which shares the LoR theme - Route 42, 43, and 44 - is the most upbeat and lively of all the route tracks, so it always felt wilder and more untamed than the other areas which share the same tracks like Route 38/39, 34/35, and 29-33. I might do a more indepth post about the music of Johto later on but I'll stop now as I don't want to hijack your post too much.

Last edited:
Hmm. That's curious, given that I bred one with Leech Seed myself a couple of weeks ago. Did you breed any other moves onto it? Sometimes an abundance of egg moves can mean others get pushed out, but afaik that shouldn't be the case here - Chikorita doesn't get enough egg moves for that to happen.

You do. I've been making good use of it as I'm trying to get all the room decorations.

Never mind, it worked (on my third egg) lol. Now I have a Meganium with Leech Seed, hooray!

And thanks so much for the tip about egg hatching, it definitely makes things a lot easier.

QuentinQuonce

So because it was the one objective I mentioned that I hadn't completed (and also because the thesis I'm writing at the moment is slow and painful going and I need distractions) I decided to finish the Unown Mode in the Pokedex by catching all 26 variants. I've solved all the puzzles on my Crystal save file, thereby releasing all 26 forms of Unown. Switching to the Unown Mode informs me that I've caught 12 forms of Unown already, with another 14 yet to be caught.

However, Bulbapedia mentions that the Z Unown is always, no matter what, the least common, so sod that. I am not hunting about in the Ruins for a Pokemon with a less than 1/26 appearance rate. No way. Because each of the four chambers unlocks a certain set of letters, I figured I'd use a different save file and only open the chamber which unlocks X, Y, and Z to make finding it easier, then trade it over.

But it turns out I've unlocked the initial chamber on all three of my save files: Gold, Silver, and Crystal. Urgh. Luckily my second 3DS has Crystal downloaded too; there isn't currently a save file on it, so I'll have to wait until I play through that again to hunt for the X, Y, and Z forms.
Looks like I was too hasty with giving up on this! I spent a little while roaming the ruins last night and managed to catch a bunch of new Unown, including Z. Now the only one I need is T (which annoyingly I encountered early on but it fled) so I might do the original plan and use a different save file for that. But we'll see.

Wandered about a bit on Crystal earlier and ended up making my way into the Dragon's Den to try and fish up a Dratini. It's Tuesday on my 3DS so Silver is there contemplating his training. But I popped into the shrine to check I'd picked up the gift Dratini and the Master had this to say:

1626350454274.png
1626350430030.png

1626350440432.png
1626350522967.png

I've never seen this dialogue before, so this was a cool surprise. In HGSS, Silver complains that the Master won't talk to him; I thought that this was an additional detail HGSS put in, but the dialogue here makes it clearer that it's because the Master considers him to be lacking in the same way that Clair is. I said elsewhere that Silver and Clair have a lot in common, and that the tag battle in HGSS would make more sense if it were Clair and Silver vs the player and Lance. Though equally, you can make the case that opposites attract, hence the way it ends up going.

This seems like a good opportunity to expand a little on the Blackthorn Dragon Clan, because I've always found them quite mysterious. It always struck me as strange that the Blackthorn Dragon Clan treat the Horsea and Dratini lines with the sort of reverence normally only extended to legendary Pokemon. One of the coolest things about them is that members have to get permission from the clan master to use Dragons. I always wondered if the trainers you fight who only use Horsea and Seadra were those who had been allowed or not. If not, are they not allowed to evolve their Seadras until they're given permission? Or do Horsea and Seadra count as dragons?

Given Lance's flexibility with team picks and GSC's fairly liberal attitude to type specialties, it's odd that none of the Dragon trainers in Blackthorn use anything but Horsea and Dratini. What about Charmander? Totodile? Chikorita? Larvitar? Nidoqueen? Arcanine? Ampharos? Gyarados, which can be fished up all over Blackthorn City?

Still. It's not the worst offender when it comes to homogeneity (looking at you, Ecruteak Gym!) but it sticks out. Ironically I do feel that Clair was the Gym Leader who least needed a team shakeup (three Dragonair and then Kingdra is kind of stylish) which made it all the more annoying that she was the only one who got one in HGSS.

Back on topic, Crystal really made the Dragon's Den a more interesting and memorable experience. It's so underwhelming to go into a barren cavern filled with Magikarp to pick up an item ball. In Crystal/HGSS there's a sense of real weight to you getting the final badge, and it's impressed upon you how much that means.

Plus Extremespeed Dratini is super neat. Too bad I was a stupid kid who deleted it so I could trade it back to Gen I. Won't make that mistake again!

What's also curious is the wording of the signpost outside the shrine:

A shrine honouring the Dragon Pokemon said to have lived in Dragon's Den.

What could that be referring to, exactly? Dragon Pokemon do still live in the shrine - you can catch Dratini and Dragonair in there. So did something else once inhabit it? Is "the Dragon Pokemon" singular or plural? As a child I always envisioned some sort of mythical Dragon that might be revealed in future games, but perhaps it's just a single fearsomely powerful Dragonite. Who knows... hard to tell whether Game Freak themselves knew, or if it's just a deliberate enigma.

EDIT: And here's something else I just found out that's pretty neat. If the player trades to obtain a Dragon Fang without picking it up in the Dragon's Den in GS, Clair will recognise that you're trying to cheat and call you out on it.
Every time I think there's nothing left to discover...

Source:

Attachments

Last edited:
Looks like I was too hasty with giving up on this! I spent a little while roaming the ruins last night and managed to catch a bunch of new Unown, including Z. Now the only one I need is T (which annoyingly I encountered early on but it fled) so I might do the original plan and use a different save file for that. But we'll see.

Wandered about a bit on Crystal earlier and ended up making my way into the Dragon's Den to try and fish up a Dratini. It's Tuesday on my 3DS so Silver is there contemplating his training. But I popped into the shrine to check I'd picked up the gift Dratini and the Master had this to say:

I've never seen this dialogue before, so this was a cool surprise. In HGSS, Silver complains that the Master won't talk to him; I thought that this was an additional detail HGSS put in, but the dialogue here makes it clearer that it's because the Master considers him to be lacking in the same way that Clair is. I said elsewhere that Silver and Clair have a lot in common, and that the tag battle in HGSS would make more sense if it were Clair and Silver vs the player and Lance. Though equally, you can make the case that opposites attract, hence the way it ends up going.

This seems like a good opportunity to expand a little on the Blackthorn Dragon Clan, because I've always found them quite mysterious. It always struck me as strange that the Blackthorn Dragon Clan treat the Horsea and Dratini lines with the sort of reverence normally only extended to legendary Pokemon. One of the coolest things about them is that members have to get permission from the clan master to use Dragons. I always wondered if the trainers you fight who only use Horsea and Seadra were those who had been allowed or not. If not, are they not allowed to evolve their Seadras until they're given permission? Or do Horsea and Seadra count as dragons?

Given Lance's flexibility with team picks and GSC's fairly liberal attitude to type specialties, it's odd that none of the Dragon trainers in Blackthorn use anything but Horsea and Dratini. What about Charmander? Totodile? Chikorita? Larvitar? Nidoqueen? Arcanine? Ampharos? Gyarados, which can be fished up all over Blackthorn City?

Still. It's not the worst offender when it comes to homogeneity (looking at you, Ecruteak Gym!) but it sticks out. Ironically I do feel that Clair was the Gym Leader who least needed a team shakeup (three Dragonair and then Kingdra is kind of stylish) which made it all the more annoying that she was the only one who got one in HGSS.

Back on topic, Crystal really made the Dragon's Den a more interesting and memorable experience. It's so underwhelming to go into a barren cavern filled with Magikarp to pick up an item ball. In Crystal/HGSS there's a sense of real weight to you getting the final badge, and it's impressed upon you how much that means.

Plus Extremespeed Dratini is super neat. Too bad I was a stupid kid who deleted it so I could trade it back to Gen I. Won't make that mistake again!

What's also curious is the wording of the signpost outside the shrine:

A shrine honouring the Dragon Pokemon said to have lived in Dragon's Den.

What could that be referring to, exactly? Dragon Pokemon do still live in the shrine - you can catch Dratini and Dragonair in there. So did something else once inhabit it? Is "the Dragon Pokemon" singular or plural? As a child I always envisioned some sort of mythical Dragon that might be revealed in future games, but perhaps it's just a single fearsomely powerful Dragonite. Who knows... hard to tell whether Game Freak themselves knew, or if it's just a deliberate enigma.

EDIT: And here's something else I just found out that's pretty neat. If the player trades to obtain a Dragon Fang without picking it up in the Dragon's Den in GS, Clair will recognise that you're trying to cheat and call you out on it.
Every time I think there's nothing left to discover...

Source:
Nice! I never even knew that quote existed in the game haha - and good to see Developers' Foresight at play regarding Clair and the Dragon Fang!

I'm still (half) hoping that GSC, especially the VC releases, might have the opportunity to rematch Gym Leaders haha.

QuentinQuonce

Nice! I never even knew that quote existed in the game haha - and good to see Developers' Foresight at play regarding Clair and the Dragon Fang!

I'm still (half) hoping that GSC, especially the VC releases, might have the opportunity to rematch Gym Leaders haha.
I would say "no, definitely not, it'd have been found in the game code by now" but that tweet above took about 20 years...

Rematches in GSC would have been interesting though. Fun fact - there are just enough fully-evolved Pokemon in GSC for each Gym Leader and Elite Four to use a full team of six without repeating any species (not counting Red and Blue, but Blue already uses other Gym Leaders' signature Pokemon anyway).

The thing is though that if you insist on each team being unique - like most games do - you end up having to give some of them wildly inappropriate picks that don't match their types. But that's kind of in line with GSC though - it was somewhat creative with team picks, especially when it comes to trainers who specialise in limited types. After all, there are only 4 fully-evolved Steel-type Pokemon, only 5 fully-evolved Dark types, only 2 Ghosts and 2 Dragons. Even Fighting only has 7, which nowhere near allows two Fighting specialists to have 6 unique mons each. So either you double up or you look elsewhere. Karen has a Vileplume for instance, which I always thought was an interesting pick. It seems quite an unconventional choice for a Dark-type trainer until you realise it has a link to nighttime and darkness. I do think she should have had a Tyranitar instead of Gengar but I guess underlevelled pseudo-legendaries are Lance's thing.

After all, there are only 4 fully-evolved Steel-type Pokemon, only 5 fully-evolved Dark types,
Actually, both types have 5 fully evolved Pokemon(Magneton/Forretress/Scizor/Steelix/Skarmory and Umbreon/Murkrow/Sneasel/Houndoom/Tyranitar) and one NFE Pokemon(Magnemite and Houndour). Ghost and Dragon are also mirrored this gen, with 2 fully-evolved Pokemon(Gengar/Misdreavus and Dragonite/Kindra) and 2 NFE Pokemon that are both part of the same three-stage line(Gastly/Haunter and Dratini/Dragonair).

I would say "no, definitely not, it'd have been found in the game code by now" but that tweet above took about 20 years..
IKR?

Another thing people may not know in GSC is that you can CALL trainers yourself for rematches, not just wait for them...just on the right date/time. This is something I learned recently from a Crystal video.

Apparently Youngster Joey also gives you a HP Up if you beat him, though I haven't got one :(

QuentinQuonce

IKR?

Another thing people may not know in GSC is that you can CALL trainers yourself for rematches, not just wait for them...just on the right date/time. This is something I learned recently from a Crystal video.

Apparently Youngster Joey also gives you a HP Up if you beat him, though I haven't got one :(
Ah yeah - Bird Keeper Vance on Route 44 gave me a Carbos once and it surprised me. Never managed to get another one.

QuentinQuonce

I wonder what the pattern is.
Having checked Bulbapedia, I was right in my suspicion that there are three other trainers who give out Protein, Iron, and Calcium - Sailor Huey in Glitter Lighthouse gives away Protein, Hiker Parry on Route 45 gives away Iron, and Picnicker Erin on Route 46 gives away Calcium. It appears that in HGSS they give vitamins after every rematch but it seems that in GSC you only get it after a set amount of rematches (Joey and Huey four, Vance, Erin, and Parry two). My impression from having rebattled Vance a lot when I was younger was that there's a random chance to get the item after the required amount of rematches but I might be misremembering. Should test that out.

Looking over the phone list, there's a lot of trainers one can add relative to how many you can have at once and I'm wondering what would be the most optimal list. The way the time switch mechanic works (getting your mother to change the clock to force a phone call) you're better off only having one person at a time registered anyway. I knew about Derek and Beverly, who require a Pikachu or a Marill in the party respectively to register, but I wasn't aware of Pokefan Tiffany, who requires a Clefairy, or Black Belt Kenji, who gives away PP Ups. But I never really bothered with the former two because I've never been quite sure how one gets Nuggets from them - do they have to phone you or do you just have to talk to them repeatedly until they hand it over?

Only being allowed eight numbers is such a punitive restriction - making the list infinite was definitely one of the better changes HGSS made.

Having checked Bulbapedia, I was right in my suspicion that there are three other trainers who give out Protein, Iron, and Calcium - Sailor Huey in Glitter Lighthouse gives away Protein, Hiker Parry on Route 45 gives away Iron, and Picnicker Erin on Route 46 gives away Calcium. It appears that in HGSS they give vitamins after every rematch but it seems that in GSC you only get it after a set amount of rematches (Joey and Huey four, Vance, Erin, and Parry two). My impression from having rebattled Vance a lot when I was younger was that there's a random chance to get the item after the required amount of rematches but I might be misremembering. Should test that out.

Looking over the phone list, there's a lot of trainers one can add relative to how many you can have at once and I'm wondering what would be the most optimal list. The way the time switch mechanic works (getting your mother to change the clock to force a phone call) you're better off only having one person at a time registered anyway. I knew about Derek and Beverly, who require a Pikachu or a Marill in the party respectively to register, but I wasn't aware of Pokefan Tiffany, who requires a Clefairy, or Black Belt Kenji, who gives away PP Ups. But I never really bothered with the former two because I've never been quite sure how one gets Nuggets from them - do they have to phone you or do you just have to talk to them repeatedly until they hand it over?

Only being allowed eight numbers is such a punitive restriction - making the list infinite was definitely one of the better changes HGSS made.
Interesting finds! I fought Youngster Joey multiple times but never got anything from him (though in fairness I didn't fight him on the fourth and IIRC final rematch, maybe I should try that). Kinda lame you need to wait that long, but oh well. I'll have to do some research.

IIRC, Beverly phones you to give you a Nugget. Interesting to hear about the other trainers - didn't know they existed!

I do strongly prefer Typhlosion and Umbreon's Silver sprites though. Thankfully those were the ones Crystal chose to animate:

View attachment 359446 View attachment 359447
Those definitely look good!

Also, on an unrelated note, I found a way to keep moving back and forth on my device (to prepare the egg I'm trying to hatch).

Unfortunately it seems to have broken my circle pad (I was trying to manipulate it to do that for me) :(

EDIT: The joystick still works and so does the normal control pad, so don't worry!

Last edited:
Gold was my first Pokemon game and I had a hell of fun and playtime with it. While I do prefer HG(SS) to it, as people said, Gold (and friends) had an air of exploration and mystery to it. And a bunch of kickass tunes. The aesthetics and and 8-bit music doesn't get old (it's one of, if not my favorite, aesthetics in Pokemon). I could share a lot of stories about my experiences with Gen 2, but that'll have to come later. Thanks for making this thread.

QuentinQuonce

Those definitely look good!

Also, on an unrelated note, I found a way to keep moving back and forth on my device (to prepare the egg I'm trying to hatch).

Unfortunately it seems to have broken my circle pad (I was trying to manipulate it to do that for me) :(

EDIT: The joystick still works and so does the normal control pad, so don't worry!
Do tell, because I had to hatch two Tyrogue lately and that wasn't fun... left the 3DS plugged in overnight with the joystick fixed for the first one, but the second took me forever.

...worth it to get a Tyrogue which knows Mach Punch, Hi Jump Kick, and Mind Reader though. Now the question is what to evolve it into.

Do tell, because I had to hatch two Tyrogue lately and that wasn't fun... left the 3DS plugged in overnight with the joystick fixed for the first one, but the second took me forever.

...worth it to get a Tyrogue which knows Mach Punch, Hi Jump Kick, and Mind Reader though. Now the question is what to evolve it into.
For me, waiting for the egg to even form was the hard part. Once I got the egg, though, I didn't have to wait quite as long. And I'm elated to say I've got my Leech Seed Chikorita! Fun part is that I'm doing a Nuzlocke, though I gave myself permission to breed for Leech Seed Chikorita beforehand. I spent the rest of my time training up a Geodude to L16 - my other teammates are a L21 Furret and L20 Kadabra. Not gonna lie, the joystick aspect of it makes things like leveling up Pokemon in the Daycare, egg hatching, and raising happiness immensely easy lol. I had no idea!

Nice Tyrogue! I'd personally go for Hitmonlee, best Hitmon of the bunch IMO in terms of Attack and Speed.

Gold was my first Pokemon game and I had a hell of fun and playtime with it. While I do prefer HG(SS) to it, as people said, Gold (and friends) had an air of exploration and mystery to it. And a bunch of kickass tunes. The aesthetics and and 8-bit music doesn't get old (it's one of, if not my favorite, aesthetics in Pokemon). I could share a lot of stories about my experiences with Gen 2, but that'll have to come later. Thanks for making this thread.
Agreed entirely, though I prefer GSC in fact haha (never finished HGSS, maybe I'm judging it too harshly?). And no problem!

QuentinQuonce

So I'm still breeding various Pokemon with nifty egg moves in GSC - I've managed to fill two boxes at this point. Got some pretty delightful mons, like Ancientpower Totodile, Metal Claw Sneasel, Houndour with Fire Spin, Pursuit, Reversal, and Spite, and Exeggcute with Ancientpower, Reflect, and Synthesis.

The next two I was hoping to breed were Charmander with Outrage and Squirtle with Confusion. But getting your hands on females of those species is tricky... what would be the most optimal way? Since hatching them takes forever (EDIT: just checked and oh, they both have the standard 5k steps egg distance. Thought starters were 10k) and they're not obtainable in GSC otherwise I figured soft resetting for one in Gen I then trading it over would work (checking IVs to tell whether the one you've got is male or female). But that's also not a particularly simple method, and if I miscalculate and find that the one I've got is male I'll have to start a new save file since you need to save to trade. Tricky one.

Last edited:
Gold was my first Pokemon game ever, I don't remember much of it. My team for the league, I think it was:
Typhlosion, Machamp, Politoed, Kingdra, Ho Oh, Dodrio

Oh well, what I want to bring up here it my adventure in the Silver Virtual console in 2017. I already played Crystal in emulators so I was glad with Silver, and not disappointed when Crystal was released some months afterwards. What I tried to do here was beating the game with mons I never used before, and I even took some pictures for this journey back to the past:

- Legit thought DUDE was a real name first time I played. English is not my mother tongue. Also there's sth creepy about this backsprite...
21768930_1954901454781990_5523261608883670129_o.jpg

- Whitney ain't hard, you all trash as kids lol or picked Cyndaquil (which is the same thing lmao):
21949978_1954901514781984_902445248099670082_o.jpg

- ngl it's kinda tilting I just swept his ass with a coral and yet he's passing it off like some tough trainer
22042037_1954901628115306_4609454322939388211_o.jpg

- Why does this guy turn white as a sheet when you beat him?
21950149_1954901691448633_745054324603323218_o.jpg

- A duel to remember /s
21768887_1954901721448630_5236284940541587292_o.jpg

- I love replaying these games with prior knowledge. And the bugs.
22046526_1956532507952218_3051628644960947424_n.jpg

- Since in HGSS the Murkrow itself opened the door, does this mean the protagonist is good mimicking voices here?
22048183_1956598134612322_9184147957856670939_o.jpg

- Running Pokemon are a good mechanic, said no one ever.
22051274_1956598154612320_4048805294636263646_o.jpg

- Transform keeping the colors of the user in Gen 2 was neat, when Togetic uses it via Metronome is crazy. Porygon ROCKS the Gold-Red motif.
22135548_1957409167864552_4845342500742167354_o.jpg

- This never gets old lol (context: Togetic uses Fly to dodge the explosion)
22135288_1957409171197885_7582829075508214881_o.jpg

- I know I can't prove it but this was a Poke Ball. It took ONE Poke Ball. (So this is how the Masked Man caught Ho Oh and Lugia...)
22181543_1957409174531218_7305967502954088539_o.jpg

- Get FUCKED, you overglorified birdkeeper.
22135386_1957827804489355_8307567033709161619_o.jpg

- And this is how you prove to your past self how much have you improved. Finish off the god of GSC OU with Beedrill. GG Red.
22256511_1960359074236228_5385492518439310799_o.jpg

And that's that. Had a lot of fun with this team, but to answer your question.
Silver users should give Delibird a try sometime. The way Present works in GS only is pretty bonkers, the move pretty much deals a huge amount to certain types only ("special" types like Fire, Electric, Dragon, Dark, etc.) regardless of level and Delibird's poor attack stat. This move DEMOLISHED Will's Slowbro when it was Cursing up to plus 6 in ONE SHOT. Keep in mind, Silver only, bc in Crystal this was patched.

Last edited:

QuentinQuonce

Noticed something interesting (well, something I found interesting at least) and thought I'd briefly write it up.

So it's well-discussed that there are a handful of Johto species, like Houndour and Murkrow, which are unavailable in Johto itself. While this is an understandable design choice (the developers wanted to leave something for Kanto, fair enough), this got me thinking about, correspondingly, the Kanto species which are available in Johto. Once you strip out all those understandably absent - starters, fossils, and legends - all of Kanto Pokemon are actually obtainable in Johto bar a select handful, which are subsequently obtainable in Kanto. Note that this differs between GS and Crystal - in GS, a few Kanto mons such as Electabuzz and Cubone weren't found in Johto either, but Crystal made them available through various means. But some were still left out.

A list of all the Kanto evolution lines is below, along with where they can be obtained in Johto. It's not exhaustive or pinpoint accurate and is largely just the first, or most obvious, place each mon can be caught. All the relevant exceptions which cannot be obtained are bolded. (spoilered, because this is super long)

Caterpie - Bug-Catching Contest
Weedle - Bug-Catching Contest
Pidgey - literally everywhere
Rattata - literally everywhere
Spearow - catchable, and also a gift mon
Ekans - catchable, and a Game Corner prize
Pikachu - via the Odd Egg in Crystal
Sandshrew - Union Cave
NidoranF - Route 35
NidoranM - Route 35
Clefairy - via the Odd Egg in Crystal
Vulpix - Route 36
Jigglypuff - catchable, and via the Odd Egg in Crystal
Zubat - literally everywhere
Oddish - Ilex Forest
Paras - Ilex Forest and Bug-Catching Contest
Venonat - Ilex Forest and Bug-Catching Contest
Diglett
Meowth - Route 38
Psyduck - Ilex Forest
Mankey - Route 42
Growlithe - Route 36
Poliwag - Violet City
Abra - Route 34, also a Game Corner prize
Machop - Mt. Mortar and also an in-game trade
Bellsprout - Route 31
Tentacool - Route 40
Geodude - literally everywhere
Ponyta - Route 26 and 27
Slowpoke - Slowpoke Well (duh)
Magnemite - Route 38
Farfetch'd - Route 43
Doduo - Route 26 and 27
Seel - Whirl Islands
Grimer
Shellder - Olivine City
Gastly - Sprout Tower
Onix - catchable and also an in-game trade
Drowzee - route 34
Krabby - fishing basically anywhere
Voltorb - catchable and also an in-game trade
Exeggcute - headbutt trees
Cubone - Game Corner prize
Hitmons - evolve from gift Tyrogue, or via the Odd Egg
Lickitung - Route 44
Koffing - Burned Tower
Rhyhorn - Victory Road
Chansey
Tangela - Route 44
Kangaskhan
Horsea - Whirl Islands
Goldeen - fishing basically anywhere
Staryu - fishing basically anywhere
Mr Mime
Scyther - Bug-Catching Contest
Jynx - Ice Path
Electabuzz - via the Odd Egg
Magmar - Burned Tower, or via the Odd Egg
Pinsir - Bug-Catching Contest
Tauros - Route 38
Magikarp - use the Old Rod literally anywhere
Lapras - Union Cave
Ditto - Route 34
Eevee - gift from Bill
Porygon
Snorlax

Dratini - Dragon's Den, also a Game Corner prize and a gift in Crystal

So what are we left with? Six species: Porygon, Kangaskhan, Mr Mime, Chansey, Grimer, Diglett, and Snorlax. Of those, Snorlax is available as a one-time-only encounter, much as in Gen I (albeit Gen I had two individuals available). Porygon remains a Game Corner prize, as it was in Gen I and would remain until Gen IV.

That leaves Grimer, Diglett, Chansey, Mr. Mime, and Kangaskhan all completely unavailable in Johto. When you factor in the starters, fossils, and legendary lines, that's 18 evolutionary lines out of 81 available in Johto. Which... they could have left a lot more out, but it's cool that they didn't. HGSS ended up providing access to the latter four by way of the the Safari Zone, while Grimer was made available via the Pokewalker.

So this got me thinking about - given how many of the Kanto mons can be caught in Johto - how many of them are available in Kanto in GSC. I totted up another similar list as above (again, spoilered because super long):

Caterpie - Route 2
Weedle - Route 2
Pidgey - literally everywhere
Rattata - literally everywhere
Spearow - Route 3
Ekans - Route 3
Pikachu - Route 2
Sandshrew - Mt Moon
NidoranF - Nidorina is on Route 13
NidoranM - Nidorino is on Route 13
Clefairy - Mt Moon
Vulpix - Route 7
Jigglypuff - Route 3
Zubat - literally everywhere
Oddish - Route 5
Paras - Mt Moon
Venonat - Route 24
Diglett - Diglett's Cave
Meowth - Route 5
Psyduck - Route 6
Mankey - Route 9
Growlithe - Route 7
Poliwag - Route 6
Abra - Route 5
Machop - Rock Tunnel
Bellsprout - Route 5
Tentacool - Route 20
Geodude - Mt Moon
Ponyta - Route 26 and 27
Slowpoke - Tohjo Falls
Magnemite - Route 6
Farfetch'd
Doduo - Route 26 and 27
Seel
Grimer - Celadon City
Shellder - Route 20
Gastly - Haunter is on Route 8
Onix - Rock Tunnel
Drowzee - Route 11
Krabby - Route 19
Voltorb - Route 10
Exeggcute - Route 26
Cubone - Rock Tunnel
Hitmons
Lickitung
Koffing

Rhyhorn - Victory Road
Chansey - Route 13
Tangela - Route 21
Kangaskhan - Rock Tunnel
Horsea
Goldeen - fishing basically anywhere
Staryu - Route 19
Mr Mime - Route 21, also a Game Corner prize
Scyther
Jynx

Electabuzz - Route 10
Magmar
Pinsir
Tauros

Magikarp - use the Old Rod literally anywhere
Lapras
Ditto

Eevee - Game Corner prize
Porygon - Game Corner prize
Snorlax - Vermillion City
Dratini

So this is a different picture. Many of the species no longer catchable in Kanto are Safari Zone exclusive or those which were restricted to one specific dungeon (though some, like Chansey and Electabuzz, were shifted to nearby routes). But there's a large amount of Kanto Pokemon which just up and vanished. Horsea is probably the most glaring example because despite being catchable relatively widely in RBY it's nowhere here. It's also curious not to see Koffing anywhere given the usage of Grimer and Muk to highlight the increasing pollution Kanto is experiencing. Factoring in the starters, fossils, and legendaries that adds up to 24 evolutionary lines not available in Kanto in GSC - it would be 25 but Aerodactyl, of course, is available via in-game trade.

While the omission of a lot of the Pokemon listed above was likely done to avoid redundancy and to make the locations of some Pokemon - such as Scyther and Dratini - more "special", it's interesting to consider what - if anything - this implies about the decisions made during the games' development process. It also casts a new light on the oft-noted criticism that too many Pokemon are locked behind the postgame - if the intent was to save a large amount of species for the postgame, you'd expect to see a more even split but it's not even 10% (out of 150 evolutionary families, only 13 by my count are available post-E4). Instead, the vast majority of the 251 Pokemon in the games (those which are catchable, that is) are found in Johto.

Anyway, that was just some musing I've been doing today. If you made it to the end of this post, congrats and thanks for reading.

(edited to correct heavy overuse of the word 'interesting')

Last edited:
Currently doing a Nuzlocke, albeit one where breeding is enabled (though if my entire party faints, the game is over).

Right now, I'm running a team of Pidgeotto, Geodude, and Poliwag. Pretty good team so far, Pidgey and Geodude round each other out nicely.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)