Tournaments GSC Invitational Companion Thread

Siatam

is a Tutoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
RoA Leader
invimage.png

Siatam's GSC Invitational

The 2024 edition of the GSC Invitational will soon be underway and this thread will server as a forum counterpart for the tournament. You can expect to see matchups, player profiles, and important tournament announcements posted here. General tournament discussion and prediction posts are also appropriate for this thread. Replays and usage stats are post in another thread.

Notably, this edition of the GSC invitational is holding an open signup play-ins tournament! Everybody is welcome to signup and play for a slot in the main invitational event.

Play-ins signups close February 11th. The main draw is forecast to start in early May.

Come watch or join in on the action at the discord server!
https://discord.gg/h9ZEVjbdd5

Last edited:

Siatam

is a Tutoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
RoA Leader
Round 1 of play-ins has started!

The 64 play-ins participants have been split into 2 32 player double elimination brackets. The winner of each bracket will be guaranteed a slot in the invitational main event.

----------------------------------------------------------------
Personal commentary:
I'm very pleased with the turnout we got for play-ins. I hope all the participants have fun and the spectators can see some competitive GSC games. The player split between the Gold and Silver brackets was randomized, but from a glance Gold Bracket is a bit more stacked than Silver. Some of my top picks to win each bracket are:
Gold: Thor, OmBrArch, Iguana, Chiles Habaneros
Silver: cherryb0ng, hellpowna, Sceptross, TibarnWasTaken

This weeks highlight matchups for me are:
Iguana vs. Chiles Habaneros
OmBrArch vs. John Madden
MrSoup vs. cherryb0ng
hellpowna vs. TyCarter

Good luck and have fun everybody! Be sure to join the discord server if you want to watch these matches live! https://discord.gg/h9ZEVjbdd5

Last edited:

Siatam

RoA Leader
Round 2 is up now! Due to various dropouts, some players have byes this round.

Gold Winners Bracket
Bohrier vs. OmBrArch
Rezzo
vs. oakdeon
Charmayanne vs. Alice Kazumi
Pideous vs. BIG loven
Raahel vs. Egor
Hyogafodex vs. melancholy0
Iguana
vs. Deezcastforms
Onraider vs. Knight who says "Ni"

Gold Losers Bracket
Zerkas
vs. Bye 1
goldmason vs. John Madden
Funkybeangamer
vs. Bye 2
kenny vs. Fakes
Chiles Habaneros
vs. nicole7735
第二十五夜 vs. Thor
shadowtime2000 vs. BeeOrSomething
leoperi99 vs. Bye 3

Silver Winners Bracket
GLFGno7
vs. 16bit
pj vs. The_App
Voyager vs. Eulelp
Estuardo19 vs. NotVeryCake
cherryb0ng vs. Kristyl
TibarnWasTaken
vs. ImposterOCE
Medeia vs. Jhonx~
cyberacc vs. hellpowna

Silver Losers Bracket

ThighHighSox vs. HML am
ewisko vs. ACII
TyCarter vs. DanceOfHearts
Leftwingbo vs. Autistic Soviet
Fantos13 vs. jus
Sceptross
vs. iouk
NeverX vs. MrSoup
Oblivion Wing
vs. QuoiseSSBM
Personal commentary:
We had some great matches round 1 and a handful of unexpected upsets. I'm excited to see how Chiles Habaneros and Sceptross can navigate the loser's bracket after being knocked down early. Though not on my original "favorites" list, Onraider and Medeia had strong performances in round 1, I'll be keeping track of their performances. Stay tuned for more exciting storylines.

If you want to go watch some good replays, I particularly enjoyed these sets from last week:
Iguana vs. Chiles Habaneros
Deezcastforms vs. Zerkas
Raahel vs. Fakes

My weekly highlights matchups are:
Hyogafodex vs. melancholy0
cherryb0ng vs. Kristyl
cyberacc vs. hellpowna

Last edited:

Siatam

RoA Leader
Round 3!
Personal commentary:
Round 2 progressed with relatively few upsets, and I feel like there's a clearer picture as to who might be our bracket winners. In gold bracket OmBrArch, Rezzo, and Iguana have played well and are undefeated. While in the silver bracket Tibarn, Medeia, and hellpowna have impressed me with their matches. With no break weeks, losers bracket is going to be a meat grinder from here on out.. Lets see if any can hold on all the way to finals. I still think Chiles can do it.

My favorite sets from last week were:
Rezzo vs. oakdeon
Medeia vs. Jhonx~

oakdeon vs. Chiles Habaneros
Hyogafodex vs. Pideous
16bit vs. DanceOfHearts

Last edited:

Siatam

RoA Leader
Round 4!
Personal commentary:
Unfortunately I didn't have much time to watch last weeks games, but I've been impressed with how ACII and 第二十五夜 have hung in the losers bracket despite facing tough competition. Still a long road ahead of everyone. Hopefully I'll find some more time to watch games this week. :smogduck:

melancholy0 vs. Rezzo
Raahel vs. Chiles Habaneros
hellpowna vs. Medeia

Last edited:

Siatam

RoA Leader
Round 5!

Gold Losers Bracket
OmBrArch
vs. Rezzo
Pideous vs. Egor
Bohrier vs. Onraider
BIG loven vs. Chiles Habaneros

Silver Losers Bracket
MrSoup
vs. The_App
Eulelp vs. jus
hellpowna
vs. NotVeryCake
16bit vs. pj
Personal commentary:
Round 4 was pretty eventful, with a handful of upsets in the gold and silver winners brackets, all of the players left in winners are in a prime position to make a push for finals. We've pruned down many of our initial entrants, I think all of our matchups from here on out will be very sharp. Getting any wins from this round on will be a testament to the GSC skills of our competitors.

Alice Kazumi vs. Egor
The_App vs. Kristyl
Knight who says "Ni" vs. OmBrArch

This weeks highlight matchups:
OmBrArch vs. Rezzo
hellpowna vs. NotVeryCake
16bit vs. pj

Last edited:

Siatam

RoA Leader
Round 6!
Gold Winners Bracket
melancholy0
vs. Knight who says "Ni"
Iguana vs. Alice Kazumi

Gold Losers Bracket
Chiles Habaneros vs. Onraider
OmBrArch vs. Egor

Silver Winners Bracket

TibarnWasTaken vs. Medeia
GLFGno7
vs. Kristyl

Silver Losers Bracket
jus vs. MrSoup
pj vs. hellpowna
Personal commentary:
Interesting round last week, there were a handful of sets that were dominated by the influence of RNG as well as Eulelp bringing NidoGarTar for 3 games in a row. This week is high pressure for the players left in the winners brackets. A win this week will guarantee an appearance in at least Losers Finals. While placing 2nd or 3rd doesn't give these players anything it does mean they're in striking distance of Grand Finals. Maybe this is a mental advantage, maybe a mental burden.

Pideous vs. Egor
MrSoup vs. The_App

This weeks highlight matchups:
Iguana vs. Alice Kazumi
TibarnWasTaken vs. Medeia
Whoever emerges from "Winner of (BIG loven vs. Chiles Habaneros) vs. Winner of (Bohrier vs. Onraider)"

Last edited:

Siatam

RoA Leader
Round 7!
Gold Losers Bracket
Onraider
vs. Egor
Knight who says "Ni" vs. Alice Kazumi

Silver Losers Bracket
MrSoup vs. TibarnWasTaken
hellpowna vs. Kristyl
Personal commentary:
There were quite a few upsets last round with Gold Bracket favorites Chiles Habaneros and OmBrArch getting knocked out of the tournament after respectable runs. Another favorite, Tibarn, was relegated to the Silver Losers Bracket. Medeia and melancholy0 have impressed me with their performances and along with Iguana and the winner of GLFGNo7 vs. Kristyl are well situated to win play-ins.

Iguana vs. Alice Kazumi
pj vs. hellpowna

Weekly highlight matchups:
hellpowna vs. Loser of (GLFGno7 vs. Kristyl) (hellpowna is a highlight matchup farmer let's be honest)

Last edited:
Since I'm out let's do a bit of content,

Gold Losers Bracket
Onraider (50) vs. Egor (50) That is a cool pairing, i like them both, the first one as the player the second as a friend. Onraider despite being new to the competitive scene is showing some decent ability and beating chiles last week is a quite good performance : punishing some bad greedy plays g1 despite an unviable raikou set and winning a mirror g2 with a bit of luck but chiles could have played way better too. On Egor's side... what should I say ? He's a bit more experienced and can have some good games but he definitely is in danger in this pairing. That's the set i want to see the most I think, 50 50.
KnightWhoSaysNi (60) vs. Alice Kazumi (40) The two biggest surprises of the winner bracket so far were both eliminated this round. They have a similar profile : using standard teams correctly which have been enough so far. From what I remember of their game I think Knight plays a bit better so I think this game is a 60 40 pairing in his favour.

Silver Losers Bracket
mrsoup (45) vs. Tibarn (55) I've not followed silver bracket as much as the gold one since I wasn't gonna plays this players, and even outside of this idk this players much. From what I remember this players can both play correctly, Tibarn may have a higher ceiling tho (his perfomance during gscpl in mind) so I i favour him 55 45 here.
COCO vs. (Loser of GLFGno007 vs. Kristyl ★) They all three can play some good games with very different profiles. Coco is heat, probably too much and I think he'll be punished when he'll face a good player (maybe this round, but i'm not sure). GLFG is a standard mainer, not the best players but playing regularly and trying to improve. And then we have Kristyl who isn't a gscer at all but an excellent player in general. She also has some good gsc basics so I think she should be able to beat glfg like 60 40, and next round against coco will probably depends on how much the preparation is can go from 45 55 with no prep to 60 40 in her favour with a good preparation. Probably the second highlight of the week.

Thx for reading and see you next week for another post.

Siatam

RoA Leader
Round 8!
Gold Winners Bracket
melancholy0 vs. Iguana

Gold Losers Bracket

Knight who says "Ni" vs. Onraider

Silver Winners Bracket
GLFGno7
vs. Medeia

Gold Losers Bracket
TibarnWasTaken
vs. Kristyl
Personal commentary:
Round 8 and only 8 competitors remain, if you ignore the extension match. Speaking of the Egor vs. Onraider, I'd like to give some recognition to Onraider who has lasted in the losers bracket ever since round 3. Onraider currently has the most set wins (5) out of anyone left in the bracket, not that it counts for much in the double elimination format. If Onraider wins out against Egor we'll have an interesting rematch, it was Knight who says "Ni" who knocked Onraider down to losers bracket in the first place all the way back in round 2. Outside of the gold losers bracket every other matchup is elite and I look forward to these last few rounds of playins.

hellpowna vs. Kristyl

All of them.

Last edited:

Siatam

RoA Leader
Round 9! Also known as Losers Finals!

Gold Losers Bracket
melancholy0
vs. Onraider

Silver Loser Bracket
TibarnWasTaken
vs Medeia
Personal commentary:
I don't have too much to the sets last week, the games speak for themselves. All of our competitors have played very well to make it this far and their games show it. Good luck everyone!

All of them.

All of them.

Last edited:

Siatam

RoA Leader
Play-ins Grand Finals! After 10 weeks of competition here are our top players vying for 2 spots in the GSC invitational.

Gold Bracket
Iguana vs. melancholy0

Silver Bracket
GLFGno7
vs. TibarnWasTaken

Let's review each player's path to grand finals:
Week 1: Chiles Habaneros W
Week 2: Deezcastforms W
Week 4: BIG loven W
Week 6: Alice Kazumi W
Week 8: melancholy0 W
Week 1: goldmason W
Week 2: Hyogafodex W
Week 4: Rezzo W
Week 6: Knight who says "Ni" W
Week 8: Iguana L
Week 9: Onraider W
Week 1: DanceOfHearts W
Week 2: 16bit W
Week 4: Eulelp W
Week 6: Kristyl W
Week 8: Medeia W
Week 1: HML am W
Week 2: ImposterOCE W
Week 4: NotVeryCake W
Week 6: Medeia L
Week 7: MrSoup W
Week 8: Kristyl W
Week 9: Medeia W
As this tournament is double elimination, melancholy0 and TibarnWasTaken need to win 2 sets against their opponents to win the tournament while Iguana and GLFGNo7 only need to win 1. For this reason I give the edge to the players coming from the Winners Bracket, but I wouldn't be surprised to see any upsets. All of the players are evenly matched and I expect to see some great games. Good luck!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)