Gunboat Diplomacy: Game over! England (Earthworm) wins!

Bass

Brother in arms
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnus
No point Aura Guardian, he forfeited already.

Spring 1910 Movement:

Austria: Army Galicia -> Rumania (*bounce*)
Austria: Army Vienna -> Budapest (*bounce*)

England: Army Brest -> Gascony
England: Army Burgundy SUPPORT Fleet Gulf of Lyon -> Marseilles
England: Fleet Denmark -> Kiel
England: Army Edinburgh -> Clyde (*bounce*)
England: Fleet English Channel SUPPORT Fleet Irish Sea -> Mid-Atlantic Ocean
England: Fleet Gulf of Lyon -> Marseilles
England: Fleet Irish Sea -> Mid-Atlantic Ocean
England: Army Liverpool -> Clyde (*bounce*)
England: Army London -> Norway via convoy
England: Fleet Mid-Atlantic Ocean -> Western Mediterranean
England: Army Moscow HOLD
England: Army Munich -> Silesia
England: Fleet North Sea CONVOY Army London -> Norway
England: Fleet Spain (south coast) SUPPORT Fleet Gulf of Lyon -> Marseilles
England: Army St Petersburg SUPPORT Army Moscow

France: Army Portugal HOLD

Italy: Fleet Apulia SUPPORT Army Piedmont -> Venice (*cut*)
Italy: Army Piedmont -> Venice (*bounce*)
Italy: Fleet Tunis -> Tyrrhenian Sea

Russia: Army Warsaw HOLD

Turkey: Fleet Aegean Sea SUPPORT Fleet Eastern Mediterranean -> Ionian Sea
Turkey: Fleet Armenia -> Black Sea
Turkey: Fleet Black Sea -> Rumania
Turkey: Army Budapest HOLD
Turkey: Fleet Eastern Mediterranean -> Ionian Sea (*bounce*)
Turkey: Fleet Ionian Sea -> Apulia (*bounce*)
Turkey: Fleet Marseilles -> Spain (south coast) (*bounce, destroyed*)
Turkey: Fleet North Atlantic Ocean -> Mid-Atlantic Ocean (*bounce*)
Turkey: Army Serbia SUPPORT Army Budapest
Turkey: Army Sevastopol SUPPORT Fleet Black Sea -> Rumania
Turkey: Fleet Trieste SUPPORT Fleet Venice
Turkey: Fleet Venice HOLD

It is now Fall 1910:

This might be the last phase! You have 24 hours.

Unless Austria does something stupid (like Army Galicia -> Silesia or Army Galicia SUPPORT Russian Army Warsaw), then this wins for england:
Code:
[COLOR=Blue]Army St. Petersburg -> Moscow (to guard against[COLOR=Orange] Turkish Army Sevastopol[/COLOR][/COLOR] [COLOR=Orange]-> Moscow[COLOR=Blue])[/COLOR][/COLOR]
[COLOR=Blue]Army Moscow -> Warsaw
Army Silesia SUPPORT Army Moscow -> Warsaw
Army Gascony -> Paris
As long he does not move Army [/COLOR][COLOR=Blue]Marseilles ([COLOR=Green]he can't just replace it, because of Italian Army Piedmont -> Marseilles[COLOR=Blue]), and Austria does help Warsaw, England wins. And because Turkey eats Austria, I don't think Austria will prevent ENGLAND from winning.
[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR]
Final Note, I AM ENGLAND!

Can this have a postgame?

LonelyNess

Makin' PK Love
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Uh why does England even need to bother with Warsaw when Portugal is literally a free Supply Center for it?

England has 15 Supply Centers. Portugal, Marseilles and Paris are all guarantees, and none of England's centers can be gotten by an opponent this turn... That's 18

Bass

Brother in arms
Game Over!

Fall 1910 Movement:

Orders:

Austria: Army Galicia SUPPORT Army Vienna -> Budapest
Austria: Army Vienna -> Budapest (*bounce*)

England: Army Burgundy HOLD
England: Army Edinburgh HOLD
England: Fleet English Channel HOLD
England: Army Gascony -> Paris
England: Fleet Kiel HOLD
England: Army Liverpool HOLD
England: Fleet Marseilles HOLD
England: Fleet Mid-Atlantic Ocean -> Portugal
England: Army Moscow HOLD
England: Fleet North Sea HOLD
England: Army Norway HOLD
England: Army Silesia HOLD
England: Fleet Spain (south coast) SUPPORT Fleet Mid-Atlantic Ocean -> Portugal
England: Army St Petersburg SUPPORT Army Moscow
England: Fleet Western Mediterranean HOLD

France: Army Portugal HOLD (*destroyed*)

Italy: Fleet Apulia -> Naples
Italy: Army Piedmont -> Tyrolia
Italy: Fleet Tyrrhenian Sea -> Rome

Russia: Army Warsaw HOLD

Turkey: Fleet Aegean Sea SUPPORT Fleet Eastern Mediterranean -> Ionian Sea
Turkey: Fleet Black Sea -> Constantinople
Turkey: Army Budapest HOLD
Turkey: Fleet Eastern Mediterranean -> Ionian Sea
Turkey: Fleet Ionian Sea -> Tunis
Turkey: Fleet North Atlantic Ocean -> Mid-Atlantic Ocean
Turkey: Fleet Rumania HOLD
Turkey: Army Serbia SUPPORT Army Budapest
Turkey: Army Sevastopol -> Moscow (*bounce*)
Turkey: Fleet Trieste SUPPORT Fleet Venice
Turkey: Fleet Venice HOLD

Final Supply Center Count:

Austria: 1
England: 18
Italy: 2
Russia: 1
Turkey: 12

England (Earthworm) wins! Postgame following this post.

Bass

Brother in arms
Gunboat Diplomacy Postgame

Hey all! I am glad that we were able to finish this game so quickly!

Now, before we go on to the meat of this postgame analysis (the player rankings), I will reveal the identities of each player:

England: Earthworm
France: LonelyNess
Austria: Amelia
Russia: Gmax
Turkey: Aura Guardian
Germany: Outlaw -> askaninjask
Italy: billymills -> CN

I am not going to bother summarizing what happened in the game. The player rankings should pretty much state everything you need to know.

Player Rankings:

7 - Russia (Gmax)

This was a tough choice between you and billymills, and sorry to say this, but your play, especially your opening was, well, terrible. You opened to Rumania, which is a good idea if you agreed to a juggernaut alliance with Turkey beforehand (which is what you wanted to do), but since this was a gunboat game, especially taking into account how often Turkey attacks Russia, I would never, ever, EVER risk leaving the Black Sea open to Turkey. Your opening had some other flaws (St. Petersburg to Finland instead of Golf of Bothnia?) but the mistake with your southern fleet was absolutely devastating. To make things worse, you did a very poor job defending yourself against England up north by wasting your only new build on a fleet, which was completely useless. With these two faults alone, you were pretty much stuck with a mere two centers for the rest of the game and ended up being unable to do anything except holding, save a few variations. Overall, your play was arguably the worst in this game, though I guess this is partly due to your inexperience, somewhat.

6 - Italy (billymills -> CN)

billymills! You were a very tough opponent in the last game we played together, and your record in Diplomacy games, however few, is mostly good, so how did this happen? Italy is one of the weakest countries on the board, but your opening was awful, maybe even worse than Russia's. Sure, it isn't always a bad idea to move to Piedmont in Spring 1901, as slowing down a potential enemy can be useful, but you really, really butchered your opening by choosing not to cover Venice. Because of this choice alone, you were unable to stop France from getting 3 builds, and instead eventually lost some ground to Austria. As a result, you ended up getting attacked by both France and Austria at once, and at that point there was very little you could do. Due to external circumstances, CN was subbed in. I am glad that you hung in there and didn't forfeit, but due to the weak position set by your predecessor, your role was mostly that of a spectator.

5 - France (LonelyNess)

Or should I say SLOWNELYNESS? A very fitting nickname indeed, because you always seemed to wait until the last minute to write your orders, and I never stopped nagging you about it. As for play, you did very very well at first, managing to obtain 3 builds without any trouble. However, your play began to falter from here, starting with the choice of building an army at Brest, which although wasn't bad from the standpoint of launching a German attack, left you very vulnerable to England in the long run. In addition, instead of devoting most of your forces to attack Germany while using your fleets to protect yourself against England like you should have, you decided to use about half of them to launch a very inneffective attack against Italy (mostly because of revenge for his move into Piedmont rather than being strategically sound). Thank's to Germany's lack of common sense, however, you managed to slip into Ruhr and Munich. Still, since most of your fleets were bogged down against Italy, England slipped into the channel and MAO far too easily, and with that, your chances of victory were lost. Better luck next time, I guess.

4 - Germany (Outlaw -> askaninjask)

Alas Germany, what is there to say? Was your complete demise a result of being a central power in a gunboat game? At the very least, I would say this was because the conditions on the board just weren't in your favor. England was rapidly expanding thanks to Russia's incompetence, and France was using a majority of his builds to attack you. Your opening was solid and actually somewhat interesting (though a bit antagonistic against England). After France made it very obvious from his builds that he was going to attack you, you instead wasted two of your units by ordering them to move to London (Did you not think your previous moves were anti anti-English enough?), which although broadcasted your intentions, left Ruhr wide open, and thus the loss of Munich would become inevitable. You made the right decision about coming to Russia's aid, although it was futile thanks to his inneffective play. Still, I am disappointed in you Outlaw, not only failing to defend yourself against France but giving up like a LonelyNess? Thankfully, when askaninjask too your place, he played very well, stopping France from getting any farther. Even so, it was still too late as the powerful England, thanks to the lack of cooperation between you and France, successfully invaded your centers. But even at this point you put up a valiant effort in defending yourself, managing to outpredict England a few times.

3 - Austria (Amelia)

I have to honestly say, I was surprised that you did this well, considering that this was your first game and that you were stuck with the weakest country defensively. Even so, you smartly chose to use the Southern Hedgehog opening, which defended Galicia from Russia as well as give you a huge advantage against Italy. The rest of your play, despite eventually reaching 7 centers, was so-so. You made a few mistakes here and there such as isolating some of your units or not using some of your units to support others, but your worst one was probably supporting Turkey in his war against Russia. Although I would say you probably wouldn't have known better unless you were experienced (I know I didn't when I first played as Austria), but Turkey inevitably needs to roll through Austria to win, and quite early too. Instead, I would have tried to aid the weaker Russia against Turkey's advances. Eventually, once Russia was finally subdued, after an extremely bad turn, you lost a whopping 3 centers to Turkey, which was the final nail in the coffin. Still, I hope to see you play again with more experience!

2 - Turkey (Aura Guardian)

Honestly, I was quite surprised that you managed to reach second place, given your inexperience, like Austria. Obviously, the bad opening from Russia heavily contributed to this, as thanks to being able to take the Black Sea, you were able to immediately make many early gains. However, beyond this, I thought your play was fairly sloppy in a few areas, particularly your builds. The question is, considering that your targets were primarily Austria and Russia, why did you build so many fleets? It's understandable if you are trying to launch a full scale attack on Italy, but instead of that, most of your fleets were either awkwardly placed along the coasts of the Black Sea or heavily isolated on the western side of the board. If you had built a few more armies, you probably would have eliminated Austria much more quickly and perhaps you might have even outpaced England in growth! Nevertheless, you still did a good job, and in particular your aggressive play is really what gunboat is all about.

1 - England (Earthworm)

There isn't much that needs to be explained here, you were the dominating force on the board right from the very beginning. I think this was partially due to Russia's inability to defend himself and France being bogged down against Italy and Germany, but your moves were arguably the best and most well thought out. You capitalized on pretty much all of the mistakes of your neighbors flawlessly. Sure, you made a few minor mistakes, but they didn't really matter in the long run. However, the most interesting thing about you Earthworm was that while I constantly nagged all the other players, you were the one nagging me!

Code:
[23:38] <Earthworm> BASS
[23:45] <Forte> ?
[23:45] <Earthworm> how many more now
[23:45] <Forte> same
[23:45] <Forte> you do realize ew
[23:45] <Forte> it's a late time for americans
[23:46] <Forte> if you assume at least one of the remaining players is american
[23:46] <Forte> the earliest i will have all the orders is when i wake up
[23:46] <Earthworm> noooooooooooooooo

-----

[20:55] <Earthworm> BASS
[20:55] <Bass> hello
[20:55] <Earthworm> how many orders sets are you missing
[20:55] <Bass> 2
[20:55] <Earthworm> wow
[20:55] <Earthworm> sloepokes
[20:55] <Earthworm> slowpokes
[20:58] <Earthworm> where the orders @
[20:58] <Bass> 2 more left
[21:00] <Earthworm> wow
[21:00] <Earthworm> slowpokes
[21:01] <Earthworm> BASS
[21:01] <Earthworm> did you just reveal i am playing -.-
[21:01] <Bass> nobody in there
[21:01] <Bass> is playing
[21:01] <Earthworm> o
[21:02] <Earthworm> BASS
[21:02] <Earthworm> did you just reveal outlaw is not playing
[21:02] <Bass> he subbed out
[21:02] <Earthworm> o
[21:07] <Earthworm> i thought about diplomacy when i was in bed
[21:08] <Earthworm> a BRUTAL NAF ATTACK may help
[21:09] <Bass> you mean in this game?
[21:09] <Earthworm> yes
[21:09] <Bass> lol
[21:10] <Earthworm> how do i finish germany
[21:10] <Earthworm> o
[21:10] <Earthworm> with my convoys
[21:10] <Earthworm> let's goooooooooooooo
[21:10] <Earthworm> where's the update
[21:10] <Earthworm> BASS
[21:14] <Bass> 2 more
[21:14] <Earthworm> .................
[21:15] <Earthworm> SLOWPOKES
[22:58] <Earthworm> BASS
[22:58] <Bass> 2 more
[22:58] <Earthworm> wow
[22:58] <Earthworm> what the hecll is wong with those peopel
[22:59] <Earthworm> OH
[22:59] <Earthworm> I KNOW
[22:59] <Earthworm> THEY're
[22:59] <Earthworm> slowpokes
[22:59] <Earthworm> can i send a newscast
[22:59] <Bass> lol
[22:59] <Bass> that would ruin the spirit of gunboat wouldnt it
[22:59] <Earthworm> http://www.terminally-incoherent.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/slowpoke.gif
[23:00] <Earthworm> probably
[23:00] <Bass> i could say "one of the players sent me this message and wants to share it with you..."
And before you ask, the fact that aska, EW, and LN had the same countries in my game as billy's is a complete coincidence. Congratulations on your victory, Earthworm! SLOWPOKE

Overall, I hope that we can try this out again, and that everyone in this game has learned from there mistakes. I guess that's all I have to say, really.

My perspective of the game:

I was very happy with France's opening, I took a risk not going to the channel and it paid off. I was also glad that France seemed to want an alliance without every agreeing to one and chose not only to launch ineffective attacks on two of its neighbours, but also to not bother defending its English border, allowing me to make an effective attack on Germany and Russia and then France.

After that, I basically just kept growing, maintaining a pretty solid position on all of my borders with no problematic defensive holes. I did allow StP to go undefended for a short time to use the fleet that was in Norway to speed up my invasion of Germany, but thankfully Russia chose not to capitalise on this, probably due to the armies hovering around in Galicia. England and Germany forfeiting definitely gave me an advantage that Turkey didn't have, which allowed me to maximise the efficiency of my expansion. Turkey made a smart play by rushing fleets through to the Western Mediterranean and southern France, and completely stopped my assault in Fall 1908 despite me having more units in position to attack, but it then led me to the realisation that it didn't really matter if I allowed a Turkish fleet into the Mid-Atlantic, because I could still cover all of my borders without decreasing my attacking force.

Austria for some reason chose to hit Warsaw to cut Moscow's support which allowed me to pass the classic stalemate line borders and win, possibly as thanks for choosing not to take Paris, I'm not sure. Thanks for that, Austria!

I can definitely partially attribute my victory to playing as one of the best defensive corner nations (the other being Turkey). This game played out pretty much the same as the other gunboat games I've played on Facebook, where Turkey and England were pretty dominant too (the first was won by Turkey, the second by England). I agree with Bass that it would be good if we could keep playing gunboat (no slowpokes allowed though)! Thanks for hosting BASS!

Lol Earth, at that stage when Turkey stabbed me and destroyed me, all that went through my mind was "STOP TURKEY!"
I looked around the map, saw that you could take Moscow if there was no support, and decided, what the heck, better you then turkey. Thus the attack.
For the first few rounds i kept trying to show Turkey that i was his ally, giving random supports and so on, while i concentrated on italy. Needless to say, it backfired.

Edit:

Signed: Archduke Amelia of Austria

When I first thought of how to play Italy, I figured I wanted to do two things:

1. Go after France.
2. Telegraph my intentions immediately.

I thought Ven->Pic and Nap->Tys would be obvious, with Rom doing... something. I knew Ven was the safest move, but I wanted to assure Austria I would be going elsewhere, and I thought with a obvious move that would be assured. (Outlaw's moves to London seem safer in retrospect, but equally as effective.)

Yes it completely backfired when Austria decided to be an asshole, and I didn't help that I had to leave temporarily. Sorry bass and CN for playing completely idiotically =/

That which I'm going to comment on/answer is in bold.
2 - Turkey (Aura Guardian)

Honestly, I was quite surprised that you managed to reach second place, given your inexperienced. Obviously, the bad opening from Russia heavily contributed to this, as thanks to being able to take the Black Sea, you were able to immediately make many early gains. However, beyond this, I thought your play was fairly sloppy in a few areas, particularly your builds. The question is, considering that your targets were primarily Austria and Russia, why did you build so many fleets? It's understandable if you are trying to launch a full scale attack on Italy, but instead of that, most of your fleets were either awkwardly placed along the coasts of the Black Sea or heavily isolated on the western side of the board. If you had built a few more armies, you probably would have eliminated Austria much more quickly and perhaps you might have even outpaced England in growth! Nevertheless, you still did a good job, and in particular your aggressive play is really what gunboat is all about.
I originally had been intending to sweep them through Spain and MAO to cut off England's inevitable strike through there. Also, I had intended to gobble up Italy. But yeah, I found myself wishing for more armies. However, the rest of my play, when I gave centers to Russia or Austria while taking others, waspart of my plans: I could chuck them out quickly enough that if I managed to cut the forces off (which was one of my goals), I could just stomp them at leisure/quickly for the centers that I could then claim. Oh, and I had England pegged as either Earthworm or Outlaw for a while.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)