XY Doubles Hail buddies

Introduction

theteam.PNG

Hey guys, my first doubles RMT Rain + Partial Perish went over pretty well and I got a lot of helpful feedback so I decided to post another team that I've had some success with. The idea for the team was born during the second Mega Kangaskhan suspect when weather was becoming more common, and I wanted to create a team that could deal with weather as well as common goodstuffs teams, while at the same time trying out some new pokemon and sets so that I could catch some of my experienced friends off guard. I picked a hail team that doesn't use hail exclusively for Blizzspam, but uses it mainly to disrupt the opponents weather (Although Abomasnow does its fair share of Blizzard spamming). When Kangaskhan was allowed back into the game, I found that with minor tweaking the team stilll worked great and I was able to add kanga to the list of things that this team doesn't have trouble with. The problem with using Abomasnow is that he brings with him 7 weaknesses and no speed, so he does require a hefty amount of support. Seriously, Abomasnow doesn't just "fit" into a team as the last member like Kangaskhan does, you really need to build around the snow monster if you want to get anywhere. That being said, each member of the team has a way of weakening the opponent or redirecting/nullifying their attacks (jirachi has both) to compensate (other than direct damage) for Abomasnow's poor speed while also providing typing syngery for each other. The name of the game for this team is chip damage. While chip damage is considered largely irrevelant in Doubles, I've stacked burns, entry hazards, and hail damage, and the amount of health lost in a single turn often turns 2HKOs into OHKOs. This team also spams Status. 5/6 members can cause a status ailment or flinch you (once again jirachi has both). The total count is 2 Pokemon that can Freeze, 2 that can burn, and 2 that can paralyze.
Let's jump into teambuilding.

Teambuilding

team1.PNG

I knew from the start that since Abomasnow is so slow and comes with so many weaknesses, I wanted to use follow me support to be able to redirect attacks away from him and fire off Blizzards, so I went with jirachi. Jirachi is one of 3 pokemon that can learn both Follow Me and Skill Swap (the others are Mr.Mime and Smeargle) so I knew that if I needed to set up hail without switching Abomasnow out, this was the core I was going to start with.
team2.PNG

I was already absurdly fire weak and therefore Charizard Y weak, so I brought on Rotom-Heat next to resist the spam of fire attacks that were in Abomasnow's future. Rotom-Heat also provides my first EQ immunity and is one of the best checks to lead Char Y + Chlorosaur available.

team3.PNG

Keldeo is the third member of the fire / water / grass core. It also checked Tyranitar (and therefore sand) as well as another fire resist to patch that up further. Keldeo is the only standard ou 252/252 mon on this team but it works so well at just hitting things that I don't see any reason for further customization.
team4.PNG

My first natrual hail immunity besides Abomasnow was weavile. I was weak to opposing Fake Out users at this point and at base 125 speed I always win the Fake Out race. Weavile + Keldeo will sometimes cause the opponent to fear Justified + Beat Up (although this is entirely by accident on my part and this team doesn't use it) and lead Togekiss/Jirachi/Amoonguss to redirect Beat Up, which is fine with me because the team has multiple checks to all of those Pokemon.
theteam.PNG

Landorus T was the last member of the team and my second EQ immunity. Although he started out as the standard Scarf set everyone is used to, he soon changed into a bulky set with Stealth Rocks to further check sun teams.
The team was finished! Now I just had to perfect the EV spreads and movesets.

The Team

Abomasnow @ Abomasite
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Blizzard
- Wood Hammer
- Protect
- Ice Shard

Abomasnow is a beast. It's out there. Mega Abomasnow has gigantic base stats in all but speed, and nothing wants to switch into 100% Blizzards fearing a freeze, or worse 2. Wood Hammer was the Grass STAB move I chose because it OHKOs standard Keldeo and Rotom-W sets cleanly with 0 attack investment. Even the VGC Rotom spread with 252HP/24 Def that has made it's way into Doubles is one shot by Wood Hammer. Abomasnow's main role on the team is to shut down opposing weather if neccesary, and then come back late game and sweep with Blizzard once the opponent has been crippled by a combination of direct damage, hail damage, burns, Knock Offs, and paralysis from the rest of the team. The only thing that Abomasnow can probably switch into safely is rain and sleep spam, but it does such a great job of messing up rain that I didn't feel the need to go crazy with rain checks in the same way that I did for Sun. Abomasnow is immune to spore and beats Amoonguss and King Breelom(s/o yohoE), not to mention it breaks Brelooms sash with Hail damage, so when I can get abomasnow in for free I always do. Min speed + 100% accurate blizzards gives Full Trick Room teams a legitimate reason to not want to set up Trick Room, and while I do carry an anti-TR lead, if Trick Room does go up, Abomasnow doesn't mind one bit.
Synergy
fight.png
- Landorus-T
steel.png
- Keldeo, Rotom-H, Jirachi
Rock.png
- Jirachi, Landorus-T, Keldeo
fire.png
- Rotom-H, Keldeo
flying.png
- Jirachi, Rotom-H
bug.png
- Keldeo, Rotom-H, Landorus-T
poison.png
- Jirachi, Landorus-T

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 232 HP / 124 Atk / 44 Def / 88 SDef / 20 Spd
Careful Nature
- Skill Swap
- Thunder Wave
- Iron Head
- Follow Me

Follow me is used mainly to redirect attacks away from Abomasnow so that he can fire off Blizzards for free, but other members like Rotom-H and Lando-T appreciate being able to use a Will-O-Wisp or set up Stealth Rock for free. Skill Swap is probably my favourite support move in Doubles, and when you add Follow me to the set, you get the #1 support mon for Abomasnow. Skill Swap started out being in place mainly to reset Hail if needed without requiring Abomasnow to switch out and back in. This also allowed me to mega evolve abomasnow freely in the face of opposing Charizard and Tyranitar without playing a game of chicken as to who would mega evolve first and lose the weather war. It also resulted in Abomasnow with Serene Grace and a 40% to freeze one of the opponents Pokemon with Blizzard. I soon realized that playing Skill Swap offensively to cripple opposition that relied on their abilites was great for forcing switches and racking up Stealth Rock damage and supplying me with free Blizzards. One of my all time favourite plays to make is to use Skill Swap on opposing Rotom-W to take their Levitate and use Earthquake with Landorus. Another highlight play was taking a Flaash Fire from Heatran and passing it to Abomasnow. Thunder Wave + Iron head gives me annoying af Para flinching, not to mention that Abomasnow can actually outspeed some paralyzed Pokemon. I went with Leftovers over Sitrus berry because I found that with this set, I could always find a reason to leave Jirachi in and do something rather than give up a free turn so I get more recovery out of leftovers than I would from a Sitrus Berry, not to mention leftovers provides an immediate recovery from Hail damage. In order to take minimum damage from hail, the HP stat of your Pokemon needs to =16*n-1 where n is a real number, which means that with an HP stat of 399, Jirachi takes as little damage from Hail as possible. I've given enough Special Defence to survive a Charizard Y heat wave, and enough speed to speed creep Heatran that themselves speed creep rotom-w, so that I can steal Flash Fire. 124 Attack EVs guarantees an OHKO on 4 HP Mega Gardevoir with Iron Head, and I put the remaining 44 EVs in physical Defense.
Synergy
fire.png
- Rotom-H, Keldeo
ground.png
- Rotom-H, Landorus-T, Abomasnow
Dark.png
- Keldeo, Weavile
ghost.png
- Weavile

Rotom-Heat @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 128 HP / 252 SAtk / 128 Spd
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Overheat
- Thunderbolt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Protect

The #1 counter to the standard Charizard Y + Chlorosaur lead is easily Safety Goggles Rotom Heat (sorry Goodra). With a starting core that was so weak to Fire, Sun, and Charizard Y, Rotom-H was the obvious choice. Safety Goggles not only stops Rotom-Heat from falling asleep, the goggles also stop Rotom from taking any hail damage. Rotom also switches into Earthquakes that Jirachi draws like a magnet because opponents know that it carries Follow Me. Like Abomasnow, Rotom has no problem switching into sleep inducers and even though I hate giving up free turns, double switching into Rotom-H and Abomasnow to start up Hail and stop a sleep has been the right play more times than once. Rotom also checks popular steel types like Aegislash and Bisharp for Jirachi and Abomasnow. I wanted to get as much as I could out of Rotom-Hs amazing offensive typing so I gave it max special attack with enough speed to outspeed Adamant Bisharp and Breloom. While it's true that Rotom-H beats Bisharp without the speed investment, it threatened my team so much that I felt it necessary to make Rotom a little bit quicker. The remaining 128 EVs are all in HP.
Synergy
Rock.png
- Keldeo, Landorus-T
water.png
- Abomasnow, Keldeo

Keldeo @ Life Orb
Ability: Justified
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Secret Sword
- Scald
- Protect
- Quick Guard

I freakin love Keldeo on this team. It just fits so perfectly for what I need that it's like Keldeo was made specifically for my team. Not only does it provide yet another check to fire types in general, it checks Heatran, Tyranitar, Kangaskhan, and Landorus T, all of which threatened me up until now. Secret Sword is great for demolishing Tyranitar in the Sand where is normally takes less damage from special attacks, and now that we have a threat to Tyranitar we have officially have a solid check to all opposing weather setters! I went with Scald over Hydro Pump because while Hydro Pump has a higher damage output, a scald from life orb Keldeo is still big damage, and remembering that it's often Abomasnow's job to sweep late game, I want to potentially cripple as many of my opponents as possible. Not only that but Scald and Blizzard combined with Stealth Rock + Burns put my opponents into lose/lose situations. Either they can stay in and take heavy damage from a (most likely) super effective hit, or they can switch out and risk being burned or frozen while at the same time taking entry hazard damage (which really isn't a choice at all). Quick Guard is helpful when facing trick room as I can fake out their setter with weavile and block the opponents fake out. It is also comes in handy when I'm facing down a Talonflame and don't want to go in with Jirachi to use Follow Me on what might be a Flare Blitz. Quick Guard is also useful for stopping mid game Fake Out's obviously.

Note: If you are planning on using this team to ladder, you will NEED to use Taunt>Quick Guard on the lower ladder. It is a shit show down there and Taunt just makes it so much easier to deal with.
Synergy
electric.png - Landorus T, Rotom-H
grass.png - Abomasnow, Rotom-H, Jirachi
psychic.png - Weavile, Jirachi
flying.png
- Jirachi, Rotom-H
fairy.png
- Jirachi, Rotom-H

Weavile @ Focus Sash
Ability: Pickpocket
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Ice Punch
- Protect
- Knock Off

Weavile is definitely the MVP of this team in most games. Having something on your team with a faster fake out than Mega Kangaskhan takes a lot of pressure off of having to predict which of your Pokemon will be targeted or even risking a double protect. Weavile is so frail however that it practically needs the focus sash to live attacks. Sash + Pickpocket has resulted in me stealing the opponents item a few times before which is always hilarious and is usually Weavile's last hoorah before it goes down. Knock off is Weavile's strongest Dark move (the first time you hit an opponent with it) and Ice Punch is used for Dual Stab. I've seen some people using Ice Shard on Weavile, but Weavile is so fast that you really don't need priority to go first most of the time, not to mention Ice Shard is weak.
Synergy
fight.png
- Landorus-T,
steel.png
- Keldeo, Rotom-H
Rock.png
- Landorus-T, Keldeo, Jirachi
fire.png
- Keldeo, Rotom-H
bug.png
- Keldeo, Rotom-H, Landorus-T
fairy.png
- Jirachi, Rotom-H

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 192 HP / 72 Atk / 244 SDef
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Protect

OMG is that really a Landorus T without a scarf? Sure is. The EVs let Landorus take minimal damage from hail, as well as give him enough special Defence to live a timid Charizard Y Overheat, and OHKO back with Stone Edge (although he gets the OHKO with 0 Atk investment). Now the answer to the question I'm sure has been on your mind since you've started reading: Why Stealth Rocks?
While on a standard goodstuffs team and many other teams, Stealth Rocks are a waste of a moveslot and turn, on this team they provide an essential service, Charizard and Talonflame cannot switch into Abomasnow with Stealth Rocks on the field without being KOd by Blizzard. This is HUGE for Abomasnow because he is totally demolished by both of them, and now the team has suddenly gone from Sun weak, to essentially forcing a maximum of 5 turns of sun because 1) most charizard in doubles are not EVd for maximum stealth rock switch ins and 2) it is very unlikely Charizard will come in and switch out without taking any damage, meaning that Charizard cannot switch out. I would normally not recommend Stealth Rocks on a Doubles team but on this team they are absolutely essential and I have never once regretted the moveslot. This set forgoes any speed invesment because I wanted to hit as hard as I could after the defensive requirements had been met, and with low speed I can use Earthquake on the same turn Jirachi Skill Swaps Levitate from the opponent and catch the opponent off guard (seriously this happens more than you would think and it's delicious). I went with Lum Berry for the item for when I want to lead against Charizard Venusaur teams. It's also nice when I get occasionally burned or Frozen from the rare ice attack that didn't take me out (this also happens more than you would think). Landorus also provides Intimidate support meaning that Abomaslow has to take less damage from physical attackers that are undoubtedly moving first.
Synergy
water.png
- Keldeo, Abomasnow
ice.png
- Weavile, Jirachi, Keldeo

playing the team vs:

Trick room: Vs Trick Room I will generally Lead with Keldeo and Weavile. Keldeo can Quick Guard to Block and opposing fake out and Weavile can either fake out the setter or take it out entirely with Knock Off. Occasionally the opposing setter will be Aromatisse so I lead Keldeo and Jirachi and pray for flinch hax with Iron head. If Trick Room does go up, Intimidate from landorus and Abomasnow keep me in the game until trick room goes down.

Sun: I will generally lead Landorus and Rotom-H against sun to set up stealth rocks/take care of opposing threats, once charizard is off the field I try and bring Abomasnow in as quickly as possible to get rid of the sun and put up that sweet sweet hail

Rain: Abomasnow loves to switch in on rain, but I'll like to have Rotom-H or Jirachi beside him to ward off Scizors/Ferrothorns or allow a free switch entirely with follow me. Abomasnow wins the weather war with Politoed Turn 1, so if I can I will Lead Jirachi and Politoed and just use Skill Swap as necessary when Politoed switches in.

Standard Goodstuffs: Definitely a balancing act with abomasnow, the plan is usually clear the way for Abomasnow to sweep late game by taking out threats or crippling them with Burns/Freeze/Paralysis. Get up stealth rocks if the opponent has talonflame or plenty of Rock weak Pokemon on their team.
Abomasnow @ Abomasite
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Blizzard
- Wood Hammer
- Protect
- Ice Shard

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 232 HP / 124 Atk / 44 Def / 88 SDef / 20 Spd
Careful Nature
- Skill Swap
- Thunder Wave
- Iron Head
- Follow Me

Rotom-Heat @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 120 HP / 252 SAtk / 8 SDef / 128 Spd
Modest Nature
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 Def
- Overheat
- Thunderbolt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Protect

Keldeo @ Life Orb
Ability: Justified
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Secret Sword
- Scald
- Protect
- Quick Guard

Weavile @ Focus Sash
Ability: Pickpocket
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Ice Punch
- Protect
- Knock Off

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 192 HP / 72 Atk / 244 SDef
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Protect

finally for helping me run the Doubles Cult
Haruno for helping me stay humble...
yohoE for modding the doubles chat room for me so that I could build this team (thanks buddy)
BlankZero this is mostly just to give you a notification so you come back </3
Lady Gaga for being a silent protector, not the hero I need, but the one I deserve : )
<:]​

Thanks For Reading!

If you actually read this whole thing then that is a feat in and of itself so congratulations :] I really liked building this team and am looking forward to your suggestions!​

Last edited:

yohoE

I'm jus Here for da memes r wateva dem shits called
I'll always be there for you when you need me to mod the chat, bud.

Now for my rate;

Like with all RMTs, I quickly peak #1 on the ladder to test things out. And to my surprise, this team did pretty well! I was able to 6-0 basically every single opponent that tried to challenge me, until it happened. While laddering I came across the TWO biggest weaknesses to this team. There are literally no opportunities for you to stop these two Pokemon. These two Pokemon that absolutely destroy your team are, of course, none other than, Vespiquen and King Breelom. Hours upon hours I spent trying to fix this horrifying weakness of yours, but I just couldn't get it done. But then, a great idea came into my head! "Why not just use Vespiquen and King Breelom to counter Vespiquen and King Breelom?!". Ah, what a magnificent plan. Here are the two sets I strongly suggest you to use.

Queen Bee (Vespiquen) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Unnerve
EVs: 236 HP / 20 Def / 252 SDef
Careful Nature
- Defend Order
- Attack Order
- Heal Order
- Protect

The Queen Bee herself wields the three strongest moves known to competitive Pokemon. No other Pokemon will ever stand a chance against her royalty in battle.

KING BREELOM (Breloom) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Spore
- Bullet Seed
- Mach Punch
- Protect

Unlike the Queen Bee, King Breelom doesn't have any of the strongest moves in the game. In fact, his stats and abilities are pretty shit too. But, what makes King Breelom the second strongest force in competitive Pokemon, is it's fierce attitude and courage. King Breelom will always take down AT LEAST seven opponents before going down.

Now you may be wondering, "Which two Pokemon do I replace to add these behemoth-like threats?" It doesn't matter. Replace any of them and your team will see improvement.

Good luck in your future battles with the new team.

<:]

Last edited:
Will give a more quality rate when I feel like it have more time but:

Why Stone Edge over Rock Slide on Landorus-T? If you have SR up you basically have Char-Y and Talonflame beat anyway and I'm pretty sure Rock Slide deals the remaining 50% to them.

Edit: Just saw how defensively EVd it was and how little damage Rock Slide does to Rotom-H/anything that isn't Talonflame/Charizard.
Ahem. Carry on.

Also: 72 Atk Landorus-T Stone Edge vs. 236 HP / 20 Def Vespiquen: 212-252 (121.1 - 144%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Queen Bee has been slain
let us all rejoice, for landorus is king

Last edited:

finally

how can you swallow so much sleep?
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

Why Stone Edge over Rock Slide on Landorus-T? If you have SR up you basically have Char-Y and Talonflame beat anyway and I'm pretty sure Rock Slide deals the remaining 50% to them.

Edit: Just saw how defensively EVd it was and how little damage Rock Slide does to Rotom-H/anything that isn't Talonflame/Charizard.
Ahem. Carry on.

Also: 72 Atk Landorus-T Stone Edge vs. 236 HP / 20 Def Vespiquen: 212-252 (121.1 - 144%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Queen Bee has been slain
>you hit

Ahem. Carry on.

Queen Bee has been slain
inb4 charti berry

GlassGlaceon

My heart has now been set on love
Kyle in all honesty synergy-wise this team is pretty much perfect, there isn't a core I can think of rn that you can't counter with a core of your own. I'm going to have to use this on ladder to really find out any huge weaknesses, I mean there are some minor ones like a well-played Deo-A could do some wrok against your team, but with some smooth prediction, you could prolly get past it. awesome looking team, man, can't wait to try it out.

Level 56

Faded memories
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis the 6th Grand Slam Winner
I'm actually not very experienced at dubs, but this team looks sexy as fuck.

Definately gonna ladder with this team because it also has my favourite mon in it "keldeo" and looks fun.

Keep up the good work bro!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)