SV OU Hat Trick (A Memey Trick Room HO) ft: Hatterene, Hattrem and Hatenna

Ehmcee

A Spoopy Ghost
is a Pre-Contributor
Hat Trick.jpg

Introduction

In this hectic offense oriented metagame, I was looking for a way to make trick room team work. Hazards were the main overall issue that was proving to be problematic, especially with how annoying glimmora could be into most TR setters. Magic Bounce Hatterene immediately showed itself to me as being a staple on Trick Room as well as being able to stop hazards once, but they still proved to be extremely problematic even afterwards. That's when the stroke of genius happened, what if I had... 3 Hatterenes?

The Squad

1672035790940.png
1672035794507.png
1672035798189.png
1672035801702.png
1672035805183.png
1672035808569.png

This team is heavily momentum based, you need to have an understanding of your win conditions immediately during team preview.
Do one of your breakers lack defensive checks? If so, go all in with it, also try looking into which breaker is best suited to use it's Tera, as all of them greatly appreciate it for different reasons. Most of the time you won't have that easy of a time plowing through teams, which is why this team is mainly built around making trades. For each TR setter into Breaker combo, you should be able to get at least 2 kills, which in theory should win you the game (discounting Revival Blessing strategies).
The team is split into two sections, the Setters and the Breakers.

The Setters

Hattena

:sv/hatenna: :focus_sash:
Hatenna @ Focus Sash
Ability: Magic Bounce
Tera Type: Dark
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Healing Wish​

The first of our TR setters, a common thread shared between all of our Trick room setters is that they're all holding a focus sash. This is due to their abilities negating hazards, meaning most of the time, they'll be able to come in safely and get a trick room off without dying. Hatenna is commonly our lead against teams that don't have a glimmora, since it's offensive stats are so pitiful that it can't really do much anyway. This is why I slotted both screens instead of offensive moves, however be very careful as to wether it is a good idea to set screens up, Trick Room turns are very valuable and most of the time you'd rather just Healing Wish out and bring in a breaker.
Tera Explanation: The tera type doesn't super matter for any of the TR setters, there are however extremely niche cases where your sash is broken and you absolutely need to survive a hit to set TR up, in this case Steel tera makes Hattena able to resist both ghost and dark attacks, which it would normally be weak to.

Hattrem
:sv/hattrem: :focus_sash:
Hattrem @ Focus Sash
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Healing Wish
- Trick Room
- Mystical Fire
- Psychic
TR Setter #2. It fulfills essentially the same role as Hatenna, but is somewhat more bulky, it tends to usually be the last TR setter to be used in the game, mainly for the fact that Hatenna is usually a lead, then Hatterene usually comes next because it can usually stomach at least one hit. Instead of screens, Hattrem instead has Mystical Fire and Psychic, two basic offensive moves that frankly won't do that much damage against most mons, but exist just in case you already have a stored Healing wish and you're pretty sure you're dying right after TR is set up.
Tera Explanation: Same as Hatenna

Hatterene
:sv/hatterene: :focus_sash:
Hatterene @ Focus Sash
Tera Type: Steel
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Healing Wish
- Psychic
- Mystical Fire
- Trick Room​

Wow who could've guessed, Hatterene is our third and final TR setter. With actually usable stats, Hatterene is by far the most useful of the setters, being the only one that is 3hko'd by most moves in the metagame due to it's bulk. With usable offensive stats as well, Hatterene is usually going to be our lead of choice against Glimmora leads, as it can break lead Glimmora's sashes with a psychic after a trick room, and lead the way for Torkoal to come in, usually denying any hazard from going up. It's also able to switch into most hazard setters, like Garchomp, The Donphans and Ting Lu, deterring hazard as well as setting up TR.
Tera Explanation: This time we're running with a Steel Tera, this is to resist both steel and being immune to poison type moves. This can end up being surprisingly useful against Glimmoras. or Kingambit's that feel like they have a KO on you.

The Breakers

Torkoal

:sv/torkoal: :choice_specs:
Torkoal @ Choice Specs
Ability: Drought
Tera Type: Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Eruption
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power / Flamethrower
- Solar Beam​

Our first main breaker, your button of choice 90% of the time is going to be eruption, Torkoal is heavily supported by the almost certain lack of hazards as well as healing wish being able to fill it back up to full HP if it ever needs to take damage, boosting back up the base power of eruption. Solar Beam hits Water types harder and Fire Blast is the main move of choice if Torkoal isn't at full HP, or needs to attack outside of Trick Room. The 3rd slot is a tossup, earth power can hit a few mons like Skeledirge and Tyranitar in a 1v1 better, but it's mainly for Ceruledge and Armarouge, which are the only real perfect switchins to Eruption. However one could also choose flamethrower, simply for the better accuracy fire move when damaged.
Tera Explanation: frankly, fire tera Eruption hits insanely hard, no water type in the game can realistically switch on the move, see these calcs below for a demonstration:
252+ SpA Choice Specs Tera Fire Torkoal Eruption (150 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Skeledirge in Sun: 262-309 (63.5 - 75%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Tera Fire Torkoal Eruption (150 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Dondozo in Sun: 283-334 (56.1 - 66.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Choice Specs Tera Fire Torkoal Eruption (150 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Blissey in Sun: 352-416 (49.2 - 58.2%) -- 97.7% chance to 2HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Tera Fire Torkoal Eruption (150 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Dragapult in Sun: 380-448 (119.8 - 141.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Tera Fire Torkoal Eruption (150 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Cyclizar in Sun: 429-505 (124.7 - 146.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Tera Fire Torkoal Eruption (150 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Slowking in Sun: 204-241 (51.7 - 61.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Iron Hands
1672113530183.png
1672113444796.png

Iron Hands @ Booster Energy
Ability: Quark Drive
Tera Type: Flying
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Wild Charge
- Swords Dance
- Ice Punch
- Close Combat
Iron Hands is a great addition to Trick Room teams, very good offensive stats coupled with great bulk means that Iron Hands can usually tank most hits if it needs to fight outside of Trick Room. After an SD and the Booster Energy boost, Iron Hands should be able to OHKO the entire non-unaware metagame. Coverage options are quite obvious, with double stabs + ice punch to hit mons like Dragonite, Dragapult and most ground types that aren't hit by CC.
Tera Explanation: Tera Flying allows Iron Hands to keep a sweep going even if stuck outside of trick room against either of the Donphan Paradoxes, Garchomp or any mon with ground coverage. Additionally, in the event where toxic spikes have to go up due to glimmora, Tera Flying allows Iron Hands to avoid getting poisoned by them.

Kingambit
1672114002595.png
:black_glasses:
Kingambit @ Black Glasses
Ability: Supreme Overlord
Tera Type: Ghost
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Swords Dance
- Kowtow Cleave
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch
Kingambit is an incredible breaker on it's own, but Trick Room really pushes it to the next level. Sucker Punch allows it to continue being a menace even outside of Trick Room, at best forcing 50/50's to KO mons. Supreme Overlord makes it so Kingambit will most of the time be a late game cleaner, gaining an insane power boost and benefitting a lot from the nature of sacking the TR setters.
Tera Explanation: Tera Ghost in this instance is used for a few different reasons, first of all, it allows it to ditch it's 4x fighting weakness meaning it can take on every fighting type in the tier. Additionally, Kingambit is able to stop Tera Normal Dragonite from spinning out of control of Espeed, being immune to the priority move as well as losing the Earthquake weakness.

Threats:
:sv/skeledirge::
This mf is bulky for no reason, Torkoal and Iron Hands have a lot of difficulty breaking it down, meaning you kinda have to bring Kingambit in on a fire type, which always has risks. Even then, while Kowtow Cleave should kill Skeledirge, Tera Fairy sort of creates a 50/50 as to wether you should iron head or cleave, making Skeledirge a large annoyance.

:sv/glimmora:
One of the only real ways the opponent can get hazards off, against glimmora teams you should lead either Hatterene or Hattrem, as they both have psychic to deal damage to it without setting up tspikes. In the ideal world, they lead Glimmora and sack it as a lead trying to kill hatt, but wiser enemies won't do that, meaning you'll have to go all in with Torkoal at the start.

Thanks for reading! Feel free to give advice to improve the team, I understand that triple hats is probably not optimal on this kind of Trick Room team, but it would still be great to see how to build upon the skeleton and see how to optimize the squad.

Last edited:

awyp

'Alexa play Ladyfingers by Herb Alpert'
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
RMT Leader
Hello,

Cool team, I played a little bit around it and I will not lie it's very memeable but the strategy can work against the right matchup.

Threats: Chi-Yu can be problematic for this team, nothing can really take a Choice Specs Fire Blast / Overheat, and another problem with this team is when the opposition sets up Stealth Rocks on one of your sweepers there's no way to clear it. I encountered is Fairy Gargnacl in combination with a bulky water like Dondozo or Toxapex could be annoying to break with Choice Specs Torkoal. If the opponent is running multiple focus sashes I feel like they can be a threat because it'll always be a minimum of 2 hits to break and Trick Room only lasts 4 turns.

Suggestions:

I think Hattena provides the least amount of assistance on this team with physically not being too bulky although it becomes extremely helpful with Magic Bounce, I feel like going with Klefki > Hattena would be a beneficial move because you get priority in setting up Trick Room which I was having issues with when using this team because of speed. Also if you need to break the oppositions sashes it might ideal to at least set a layer of spikes and have the opportunity to set up screens as well. If you know the opponent has Stealth Rock just switch into one of the Magic Bouncers. Here's the set:

:klefki:
Klefki @ Focus Sash
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Spikes
- Light Screen
- Reflect
- Trick Room

That's my only big suggestions aside from that I think this team has a lot of potential, thank you for posting and I hope suggestion can be helpful.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)