Have. Peaked 2108

This is a team. I got to number one with it. It's pretty cool.​

IF ANYTHING DOES NOT MAKE SENSE OR YOU ARE UNCLEAR ABOUT ANYTHING, JUST ASK

I will be quite honest, my "team building process" is often more like similar to "I like this Pokémon..." This time, it started with Swellow, and support for him just fell into place afterwards. My best teams also tend towards one side of the physical/special spectrum, and in this case it is physical. This team focuses around spamming really strong physical attacks and wearing the opponent down while getting advantage with U-Turn. My only special attacker is Blastoise and he is far from a power house. Also, this is kind of a retirement of the team. After I do decently well on the ladder, I tend to get tired of the game. I hope this isn't too lacking, but anyway, let's get into it.​

Swellow @ Toxic Orb
Trait: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Facade
- Quick Attack
- U-turn

We'll start with the member the team is based around. Guts Swellow has been a favorite of mine since 4th gen. The combination of power and speed make Swellow a force to be reckoned with. Swellow is only outsped by one UU Pokémon, which is Crobat. Swellow's main uses come in spamming U-Turn to give me advantage and destroying offensive teams, by OHKO'ing... everything with Façade. Flygon, Raikou and Zapdos (after Rocks) are the main bulker members of offensive teams that are destroyed by Swellow. Brave Bird is a good move for before Toxic Orb activates and a way for me to get rid of the pesky Sableye which can plague this team. Quick Attack allows me to circumvent Sucker Punch and pick off weakened Scarfers. That's about it, Swellow is a monster and I love using (under)underused threats.

Mienshao @ Life Orb
Trait: Regenerator
Jolly Nature
- Hi Jump Kick
- Stone Edge
- U-turn
- Fake Out

Mienshao pairs really well with Swellow. They are both fast and can wear down the opposing team with U-Turn or destroy opposing teams with Hi Jump Kick. Hi Jump Kick is both great and awful. It misses far more often than it should, considering it has 90% accuracy. It is well worth it for the strength that it provides though, along with the very useful typing. Stone Edge provides very good supplemental coverage, but again the accuracy can be lacking. U-Turn again is a spamming move, but has good coverage with HJK and Stone Edge. It allows me to smack the hell out of Claydol which is a major plus. Fake Out I am not convinced about. It can be useful to get a free hit but most often I find myself using HJK or U-Turn. I've been considering using Hidden Power Ice instead, thoughts?

Golurk @ Leftovers
Trait: No Guard
EVs: 248 HP / 96 Atk / 164 Def
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Shadow Punch
- DynamicPunch
- Stealth Rock

Golurk is a Pokémon that deserves a lot more love. With all of the dangerous Fighting Types in the tier, using Golurk is kind of a no brainer. Yes, the EV's are a bit arbitrary. I like odd HP, I wanted high defense and a bit of sting from his attacks. Golurk has been very clutch and takes physical attacks like a champ. Golurk also sets the ever useful Stealth Rock, but there are times when I don't have a chance to set it up. I'm not sure why, but this team operates well with out Rocks due to the immense power of the attackers. Earthquake and Shadow Punch are both good STABs when Lurk is in, more often than not I'm using Dynamic Punch. I am very open to suggestions about a new set for Lurk.

Victini @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Victory Star
Jolly Nature
- V-create
- Zen Headbutt
- Bolt Strike
- U-turn

What can I say about Victini? He fits the team's plan of U-Turn spam, STAB spam. V-create is one of the best moves in the game with that incredible power. Yeah pretty much V-create and U-turn are about the only moves I use, but Zen Headbutt and Bolt Strike come in handy. Zen Headbutt is a secondary STAB (even though not very effective V-create is stronger than neutral Zen Headbut), it lets me hit certain things without lowering my stats. Bolt Strike lets me hit certain Water types for decent damage. Vic also hits the required (and made up) speed to power ratio that this team employs.

Blastoise @ Leftovers
Trait: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SAtk
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Rapid Spin
- Roar
- Toxic

Blastoise is here out of necessity. For Swellow and Vic to operate effectively, I need to keep Rocks off of the field. Playing offensively helps with that, but can only do so much. That's where Toise comes into play. He is decently consistent at spinning and has good type synergy for the team in relation to other spinners. I make it seems like Blastoise is useless, but he does other things than spin. He is a good check to Darm and Arcanine. He also provides really good death fodder most of the time. Roar has been really useful for phazing threats. As much as I dislike Blastoise as a Pokémon, he does have uses and cannot be easily be replaced.

Snorlax @ Choice Band
Trait: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Return
- Earthquake
- Superpower
- Crunch

Choice Band Snorlax is such a monster. So bulky and strong at the same time, allowing me to check many special attackers while destroying everything in sight. Things like Nidoqueen, Raikou and Roserade, things that I don't really have other switches for. The EV's maximize attack and Special defense because I've got Toise and Lurk to take physical hits. Return is a great STAB that blows holes in teams and is a good spamming attack. Everything else provides useful coverage against popular threats in the metagame, life Raikou, Umbreon and Froslass to name a few.

So, that's the team. It work well be requires a lot of prediction and thought to use effectively. Here's an importable, give the team a try and let me know what you think. Some notes, Gligar CAN be hard to take care of and this team doesn't have switches for a lot of things, so play smart. And sorry, the hide tags are working for the importable.

Swellow @ Toxic Orb
Trait: Guts
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Facade
- Quick Attack
- U-turn
Mienshao @ Life Orb
Trait: Regenerator
Jolly Nature
- Hi Jump Kick
- Stone Edge
- U-turn
- Fake Out
Golurk @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 96 Atk / 164 Def
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Shadow Punch
- DynamicPunch
- Stealth Rock
Victini @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- V-create
- Zen Headbutt
- Bolt Strike
- U-turn
Blastoise @ Leftovers
Trait: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SAtk
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Rapid Spin
- Roar
- Toxic
Snorlax @ Choice Band
Trait: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Return
- Earthquake
- Crunch
- Superpower
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/uu-38633176

Hey, it's Moose VI (3rd on the ladder in your picture, #2 right now), I like your team but I have a few suggestions:
  • Banded lax absolutely needs pursuit. I'd say it's even more necessary than return. I'd get rid of superpower or eq for pursuit. Also, if your lax is having problems with Rhyp, lax also gets seed bomb which is pretty unexpected if you wanna try it out.
  • You might want to consider giving victini grass knot over zen headbutt. Tho ZH has its uses, half your team would really appreciate the removal of rhyperior and swampert, though especially rhyp. Although a grass knot won't OHKO the tank Rhyp set, it can do like 80% I believe, meaning that it will still be crippled for the rest of the match and your swellow can really put in some work.
  • Just an observation, you have no moves to hit water types super effectively. You might want to get something for things like crocune or CM slowbro, tho I suppose the latter can be toxic-ed by blastoise.

KM

slayification
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
Mienshao needs HP ice over Fake Out. It obviously helped you out in the replay, but it's really pretty niche as compared to HP Ice. Coming off a decent base 105 SpA and boosted by LO, HP ice is a great answer to things like bandgon or gligar.

I also see a problem with bulky waters on this team, as Moose pointed out. Have you ever considered ditching Blastoise for something like Raikou? It would make your team much more offensive and Volt-Turn based, but it gives you an answer to bulky waters and it gets rid of a massive momentum suck for your team. I understand why you're using blastoise, as Vic and Swellow are both weak to rocks, but if you can keep enough offensive pressure to prevent hazards it can help you a lot more.

Overall, this is obviously a very good team, and I love seeing people use under(under)rated threats ;) I myself had tremendous success using an Ursaring in trick room (RMT coming soon ;D), so I know just how surprising and devastating things like that can be.

Awesome job on the team and congrats on the peak =)

Hey, it's Moose VI (3rd on the ladder in your picture, #2 right now), I like your team but I have a few suggestions:
  • Banded lax absolutely needs pursuit. I'd say it's even more necessary than return. I'd get rid of superpower or eq for pursuit. Also, if your lax is having problems with Rhyp, lax also gets seed bomb which is pretty unexpected if you wanna try it out.
  • You might want to consider giving victini grass knot over zen headbutt. Tho ZH has its uses, half your team would really appreciate the removal of rhyperior and swampert, though especially rhyp. Although a grass knot won't OHKO the tank Rhyp set, it can do like 80% I believe, meaning that it will still be crippled for the rest of the match and your swellow can really put in some work.
  • Just an observation, you have no moves to hit water types super effectively. You might want to get something for things like crocune or CM slowbro, tho I suppose the latter can be toxic-ed by blastoise.
I like the idea of Pursuit to ensure Chand dies, I'll give it a try. I don't like the idea of making it set up fodder but, I think ensuring a dead Chand is worth it sense it fucks with my team hard. Zen Headbutt is rarely useful lol it was kind of a filler. I was thinking of trying Flare Blitz for a fire attack that is less crippling but GK makes good sense. Honestly, Water types are not that hard to circumvent. Shao's HJK and Swellow's Façade do a crap load to Suicune. and Lax does a crap load to Slowbro with Crunch. Thanks for the rate and good job on your ladder peak.

Mienshao needs HP ice over Fake Out. It obviously helped you out in the replay, but it's really pretty niche as compared to HP Ice. Coming off a decent base 105 SpA and boosted by LO, HP ice is a great answer to things like bandgon or gligar.

I also see a problem with bulky waters on this team, as Moose pointed out. Have you ever considered ditching Blastoise for something like Raikou? It would make your team much more offensive and Volt-Turn based, but it gives you an answer to bulky waters and it gets rid of a massive momentum suck for your team. I understand why you're using blastoise, as Vic and Swellow are both weak to rocks, but if you can keep enough offensive pressure to prevent hazards it can help you a lot more.

Overall, this is obviously a very good team, and I love seeing people use under(under)rated threats ;) I myself had tremendous success using an Ursaring in trick room (RMT coming soon ;D), so I know just how surprising and devastating things like that can be.

Awesome job on the team and congrats on the peak =)
Thanks for the rate. Fake Out and HP Ice both have their uses and it's hard to weigh which is better, but like I said, I'm going to give HP Ice a shot since my team has trouble with Gligar.
With bulky/sashed SR users have a spinner is a must. In fact, at first I tried Xatu over Toise but it just didn't work out well.
I look forward to seeing your rmt :D

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hey Godsend, cool team. I don't see a lot of Swellow in UU, but it's a decent Pokémon so long as you can keep Stealth Rock off the field. Facade hits like a truck O_O

The main issue I see with the team is that your only answer to Rhyperior is Blastoise, which can only switch in a few times before it's killed sine it has no reliable recovery, and you need to keep it alive so that it can spin Rocks away. You have similar problems with Swampert, which can likewise wall most of your team. This is because all of your team minus Blastoise is physical, and you can't be switching it in every time a physical wall is thrown in to take a V-Create. To remedy this, I would switch your Scarf Victini to a Mixed Victini set. With this, you can still nuke things with V-Create, but when the opponent sends in their Swampert/Rhyperior to tank it and set up Stealth Rock as you switch (like most Victini would) you can nail them for a OHKO with Grass Knot. With these physical threats out of the way, you should then have a much easier time both getting Swellow in (since they can't set up rocks), as well as Facading/Brave Birding everything. Victini's Thunder also comes in handy, taking down Blastoise and Milotic that switch into you thinking you're choice locked into V-Create.
However, that leaves you with no Choice Scarf user, so I would switch Mienshao to a Choice Scarf set. Mienshao is easily one of the best Scarfers in the tier, and it's Reckless Hi Jump Kick is a serious force to be reckoned with. You can opt to run HP Ice on this set, which can hit Gligar on the switch, or you can go with Aerial Ace to hit opposing Scarf Heracross, though I think Golurk should be able to handle him, so I would recommend HP Ice.

Hope I was able to help. Good luck with the team!

Sets

Victini @ Expert Belt
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Hasty Nature
- V-create
- Psychic
- Thunder
- Grass Knot

Mienshao @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Reckless
EVs: 4 SAtk / 252 Spd / 252 Atk
Naive Nature
- Hi Jump Kick
- Stone Edge
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Hey Godsend, cool team. I don't see a lot of Swellow in UU, but it's a decent Pokémon so long as you can keep Stealth Rock off the field. Facade hits like a truck O_O

The main issue I see with the team is that your only answer to Rhyperior is Blastoise, which can only switch in a few times before it's killed sine it has no reliable recovery, and you need to keep it alive so that it can spin Rocks away. You have similar problems with Swampert, which can likewise wall most of your team. This is because all of your team minus Blastoise is physical, and you can't be switching it in every time a physical wall is thrown in to take a V-Create. To remedy this, I would switch your Scarf Victini to a Mixed Victini set. With this, you can still nuke things with V-Create, but when the opponent sends in their Swampert/Rhyperior to tank it and set up Stealth Rock as you switch (like most Victini would) you can nail them for a OHKO with Grass Knot. With these physical threats out of the way, you should then have a much easier time both getting Swellow in (since they can't set up rocks), as well as Facading/Brave Birding everything. Victini's Thunder also comes in handy, taking down Blastoise and Milotic that switch into you thinking you're choice locked into V-Create.
However, that leaves you with no Choice Scarf user, so I would switch Mienshao to a Choice Scarf set. Mienshao is easily one of the best Scarfers in the tier, and it's Reckless Hi Jump Kick is a serious force to be reckoned with. You can opt to run HP Ice on this set, which can hit Gligar on the switch, or you can go with Aerial Ace to hit opposing Scarf Heracross, though I think Golurk should be able to handle him, so I would recommend HP Ice.

Hope I was able to help. Good luck with the team!

Sets

Victini @ Expert Belt
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Hasty Nature
- V-create
- Psychic
- Thunder
- Grass Knot

Mienshao @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Reckless
EVs: 4 SAtk / 252 Spd / 252 Atk
Naive Nature
- Hi Jump Kick
- Stone Edge
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Thanks, those sets are dope!
Only thing I'm not sure how necessary Thunder on Vic is since Grass Knot hits Milo for 120 base damage (if I recall correctly). I think I want to try U-turn to help keep the offensive presence against shit I can't one hit.

No matter what I will give your suggestions a try, thanks.

I just want to say that was my in alt in the replay, twas a good match even though i didnt say gg.

Awesome team! I was tweaking your Golurk set and found a slightly better EV spread. The old one had 308 Atk and 260 Def, this one has 314 Atk and 259 Def.

Golurk @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- DynamicPunch
- Shadow Punch

Awesome team! I was tweaking your Golurk set and found a slightly better EV spread. The old one had 308 Atk and 260 Def, this one has 314 Atk and 259 Def.

Golurk @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- DynamicPunch
- Shadow Punch
Thanks for that that's something I'll change. Good eye!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)