move 2: Brave Bird
move 3: Iron Head/Thunder Punch
move 4: Swords Dance/U-turn
item: Life Orb/Sharp Beak
ability: Mold Breaker
nature: Jolly/Adamant
evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

[SET DETAILS]

Like many Flying Pokemon in this generation, Hawlucha has the ability to perform a clean sweep in the right conditions with its access to Max Airstream. Its STAB combination of Close Combat and Brave Bird is resisted by very few, most notably Aegislash, but it does need to be careful around opposing Dynamax, as its defenses are very poor and it is unlikely to kill Dynamaxed Pokemon without a Swords Dance setup or prior chip damage. For example, it loses the Dynamax Ferrothorn Max Steelspike battle without previous boosts or chip. Adamant natures can be used to help supplement some power, at the cost of a bit of speed.

Close Combat allows you take on the many top tier defensive threats, including Tyranitar, Ferrothorn, Duraladon, and Corviknight after a Swords Dance boost. Brave Bird allows you to get (almost) perfect coverage against a majority of the metagame, a very useful trait for a Dynamax sweeper.

Iron Head is designed to beat Mimikyu and other fairies. With Max Steelspike, you are guaranteed a kill on all of the non-Dynamaxed mons that aren't completely defensively invested. On Dynamax Mimikyu, while you don't kill without prior chip (such as 2 life orb Mimikyu attacks or Life Orb + Stealth Rocks Damage) you live a Max Starfall with +1 Defense, then can gain your Speed boost with Max Airstream right after. Thunder Punch is another alternative move that gives you good coverage vs important threats, such as Corviknight and Toxapex.

Swords Dance is the go to boosting move for Hawlucha. However, with bulkier sets from Pokemon on the rise, I could see Hawlucha forgoing it or Iron Head more for U-turn, to retain momentum rather than trying to race defensive Pokemon at suboptimal times.

It should be mentioned that Hawlucha is capable of running an Unburden sweeping set with either Substitute and a Berry of your choice or with a Terrain Seed. However, it is often too committal, and Mimikyu becomes a hard counter in exchange for speed that is often unneeded and not always the easiest to set up.

Last edited:
I think Sharp Beak is a potential item in case you are using Life Orb Elsewhere. Asides from that, in terms of nature, I've talked a bit about this elsewhere but you can run adamant nature on pokemon around this speed tier for extra power as you are still outspeeding threats such as Haxorus, Mimikyu, Hydreigon, Charizard Etc. and the extra speed only means you outspeed non speed invested Inteleon and Cinderace. You can speed tie with Adamant Sand Rush Drill at +1 with Jolly, but I think a lot are running Jolly so that is something to keep in mind.

I think Thunder Punch as well is a big consideration over Iron Head as LO / Sharp Beak Brave Bird OHKOs Mimikyu and TPunch would allow you to hit Corviknight and Toxapex whilst still covering Togekiss though you do lose out on Max Steelspike.

I think Sharp Beak is a potential item in case you are using Life Orb Elsewhere. Asides from that, in terms of nature, I've talked a bit about this elsewhere but you can run adamant nature on pokemon around this speed tier for extra power as you are still outspeeding threats such as Haxorus, Mimikyu, Hydreigon, Charizard Etc. and the extra speed only means you outspeed non speed invested Inteleon and Cinderace. You can speed tie with Adamant Sand Rush Drill at +1 with Jolly, but I think a lot are running Jolly so that is something to keep in mind.

I think Thunder Punch as well is a big consideration over Iron Head as LO / Sharp Beak Brave Bird OHKOs Mimikyu and TPunch would allow you to hit Corviknight and Toxapex whilst still covering Togekiss though you do lose out on Max Steelspike.
Agree on all fronts, added the changes good feedback :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)