SV OU Hazard Garchomp BO

This gen is all-around great now that pex is nerfed and lando-t isn't around.
I wanted to try the spikes garchomp and really liked this team, so might as well learn how to teambuild from it. I'm really interested in EV-ing everything correctly, for now it's kind of a mess.
https://pokepast.es/1387afb9371e4228

:bw/garchomp:
Garchomp @ Leftovers
Ability: Rough Skin
Tera Type: Steel
EVs: 252 HP / 128 Atk / 128 Def
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Dragon Tail
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes

Garchomp is reasonably tanky and can punish spin while holding leftovers. The only spinners I've seen in top-10 usage are Great Tusk, which it handles fine, so I switched Rocky Helmet for some recovery. Eq for regular damage and dragon tail for phasing everything it can't take right onto the hazards. I'm not leading with it much, it usually comes out on defensive mons to lay hazards midgame.

:sv/roaring-moon:
Roaring Moon @ Assault Vest
Ability: Protosynthesis
Tera Type: Dragon
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Crunch
- Dragon Tail
- Dragon Claw
- U-turn

The umbrella. This thing is genetically engineered to wall the New Sun and new paradox pokemon. It can reliably tank hydro steam + draco from life orb Walking Wake in the sun and either ko it with dragon claw after rocks and recoil or phase it out. Same with Iron Leaves. It's base attack is solid enough to crunch uninvested, but it's mostly a defensive pivot with a way to accumulate hazard damage. May replace Crunch with EQ for Kingambit, which is my bane as of now.

:sv/gholdengo:
Gholdengo @ Air Balloon
Ability: Good as Gold
Tera Type: Fighting
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Make It Rain
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Recover

The ultimate spinblocker. Good switch-in on the Roaring Moon's checks. Mostly for psychological warfare on spinners. Yea, it's still Gholdengo with it's usual nuke button, but I have no idea how to use it properly and it usually just stays in the back to fall to +5 fallen Kingambit. Would prefer a more supportive role, but I don't want to become too passive.

:bw/rotom-wash:
Rotom-Wash @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Trick

The multitool. Tricking scarf is always nice, as well as outspeeding and burning Meowscarada. It feels somewhat frail, so I usually pivot into it after I kill something with U-Turn. It's the first candidat for replacement, as I would probably want a spinner or another attacker to make Gholdengo more support-oriented.

:sv/iron-moth:
Iron Moth @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Quark Drive
Tera Type: Grass
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fiery Dance
- Sludge Wave
- Morning Sun
- U-turn

The main early game damage. It's a near-perfect lead against sun, especially if the opponent leads Torkoal. While it dies to EQ, it tanks one earth power and can outheal the damage to stall out the sun or kill the turtle with poison from Sludge Wave. It's faster than Walking wake by 2 points and can soften it up enough to die to hazards, or ko it with tera. Fiery dance fries everything else, ohkoing Great Tusk in the sun. It's a decent Volcarona check if it doesn't run psychic.

:sv/iron-valiant:
Iron Valiant @ Booster Energy
Ability: Quark Drive
Tera Type: Ghost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Shadow Sneak
- Close Combat
- Moonblast
- Knock Off

Second of the cleanup crew. It provides great defensive typing for this team as well as great speed. I tried running specs, but then realised I had zero priority, so booster energy it is. I keep it in the back until everything took enough hazard damage or if they have Kingambit. Moonblast still ohkos offensive Great Tusk, Close Combat destroys non-resists and knock off is utility.

Last edited:

Miyoko

Nature lover
is an official Team Rateris a Tiering Contributor
Hi there!
Hope you are having a nice day! I saw your team and found it pretty competitive and balanced but making some changes would make this team better. I am here to help you.
Changes:-
1. Rocky Helmet > Leftovers on :garchomp:
Reason:-
This is because of physical attackers. It's better to have more damage in opposing attackers than getting some recovery since it is a lead Pokemon after all so u don't need the garchomp for attacking.

2. Swords Dance > Shadow Sneak on :iron valiant:
This is because u need to set up for killing opposing Pokemon and i don't think priority is needed as valiant is already fast enough to outspeed many Pokemons + speed boosting booster energy also increases the speed

3. 252 Speed > 252 Defense
This is specially because you are running scarf rotom so u need enough speed or the rotom becomes useless. If u want to run defensive rotom-wash then go for the Leftovers set.

This changes are just an example to make your team better. It is all on you that will u use them or not and let me know if u have any questions and have a nice day! Thank You!

:Mew: Bye :mew:

Last edited:
Hey, thanks for the reply. I tried most of this in some points of building but ultimately it felt more right.
1. Chomp is not much of a lead, I mainly lead rotom for variety or moth against sun, because getting torkoal to 23% + poison is better than rocks. Leftovers let me sit agains defensive pokemon pretty much forever, especially corv and defensive tusk (which probably should be gholdengo's job but nonetheless), and Garchomp is excellent at baiting defensive mons and burns because of it's offensive sets.
2. I'll give it a shot.
3. I ran max speed max spa, and even with full investment it feels super frail, so either I don't know it's switchins or it doesn't fit with the team, but I'll try to run max speed.

Last edited:
Both swords dance and max speed rotom prove to be greatly effective.
Currently experimenting with ditching Gholdengo in favor of tera ghost Garchomp and another attacker.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)