XY NU Hazardous Metagame Changes

slayerx725232

"to sea, or not to sea" ~Melodramatic Sailor
Hey again, it's me, that guy who did that one thing that one time once, and I'm here to do it again! As we all know, OR/AS have either just been released or are being released within the week (RIP Europeans) and that means the NU metagame is going to have an arsenal of toys to play around with once things settle down. However, I'm not quite ready for that shift to happen yet, so I'm bringing a final team that I made before the OR/AS releases. (It peaked around 1450~ but sadly the server went kaputz and I didn't get a screenshot.) Anyways, let's get into it, and meet the squad!

Seeing as hazards stacking hasn't really been a playstyle I've used in NU, I decided it would be a fun change of pace; that being said, Garbodor was definitely the immediate thought I had, having access to Spikes and Toxic Spikes, while having a pretty nice defensive typing.

Next, I wanted to have two surefire methods of hazards insurance, so to speak. I wanted a way to control Defog users and a spinblocker, so surely Pawniard and Rotom were the best choices, respectively, as both can keep up nice offensive momentum while doing their jobs properly.

After that, I decided that I would love having a Spinner in case opposing Pokemon attempted to, yknow, set up hazards on me. Cryogonal helps keep up offensive pressure while providing a nice Rapid Spin user.

Realizing how hazards-oriented the team had shaped up to be, I decided to take it a step further with Xatu, being able to limit hazards going onto my side of the field. It also helps beat Hariyama, which my team struggles with after Garbodor goes down.

Finally, I decided that Hariyama would be pretty swagging, as it provides a nice switchin to Fire-type threats like Pyroar and to an extent Typhlosion. That, and who doesn't like Hariyama?

In-Depth Analysis Time!

Garbodor @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 Spe
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Toxic Spikes
- Gunk Shot
- Drain Punch

· Garbodor is a really potent hazards setter that can easily aide in whittling down opposing Pokemon, especially top tier threats like Typhlosion. It’s a standard set that utilizes both Toxic Spikes and Spikes, alternating on a case by case situation; Spikes if Poison-type on opposing team, Toxic Spikes if not. Outside of that, it has Gunk Shot as a primary STAB, dealing huge chunks to Pokemon like Slurpuff that unknowingly (or stupidly) attempt to set up on Garbodor, or to just hit Pokemon like Sceptile or Lilligant hard on the switch-in. Outside of that, the final move is Drain Punch, allowing for Garbodor harm Pokemon like Probopass or Steelix, though not for much damage. It also provides a shaky method of recovery. Rocky Helmet is a nifty item in conjunction with Aftermath, proven by the countless people that use it, allowing for Garbodor to severely punish any physical attacker that hits it bar Earthquake users, and leave them as easy clean-up for Rotom. Typically going to be the lead I use unless the opposing team has a Mesprit or the likes, in which case Pawniard is hella nice.

Pawniard @ Eviolite
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch

· Pawniard is an overall great Pokemon that works nicely with a hazards setter such as Garbodor, being able to “abuse” any Pokemon that tries to Defog away the plethora of Spikes, instantly getting up to +2 and wreaking havoc. Outside of that, it’s a nice check to a respectable amounts of Fairy-types as well as Psychic-types, most notably Slurpuff and Mesprit. Iron Head is a powerful STAB move with the potential to flinch slower opponents, while Sucker Punch is a great move albeit coming with certain mind games, such as whether or not the opposing Pokemon is going to attack or set up. For a more reliable and amazing Dark-type STAB, Knock Off is definitely the only choice, as it allows for Pawniard to cripple opposing Pokemon that rely on their items while still providing the power that is needed to be had by Pawniard. The max Speed with Jolly lets Pawniard outspeed beneficial natured base 91s that have no investment (for whatever reason), letting it outspeed a respectable portion of the tier. Swords Dance is also great to punish any Pokemon that tries to use Protect or moves similar against Pawniard, as a +2 Pawniard is hella scary.

Rotom @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt / Will-O-Wisp
- Trick

· Rotom fits the hazard stacking role as a spinblocker, keeping them smexy hazards up against potential Spin users. Choice Scarf Rotom is a great momentum Pokemon, as it can Volt Switch against many Pokemon while getting off respectable damage. Shadow Ball can hit Psychic- and Ghost-types really nice and powerfully, scaring out Pokemon such as non-Scarf’d Mesprit and most common forms of Xatu, bar the scary low ladder ScarfTu. Trick is also there to cripple item reliant Pokemon, primarily Ferroseed. Will-O-Wisp is my personal preference over Thunderbolt, as it allows for me to cripple physical attackers as either a last ditch effort once Rotom is obviously gone or once my Scarf has been Trick’d.

Cryogonal @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Freeze-Dry
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Recover

· Cryogonal is yet another member severely opposed to the whole hazards thing, well, when it comes to them being on my side. Standard Spin set, having Spin for utility obviously, and Freeze-Dry as a hard-hitting STAB move that basically fucks Seismitoad over back and forth. Also hurts Feraligatr quite well granted I can live an Aqua Jet, especially a boosted one. Hidden Power Ground is a great big fuck you to non-Scarfed Typhlosion (Pyroar doesn’t care because it outspeeds with max invests). Recover keeps up Cryogonal’s longevity, allowing it to potentially Spin multiple times in a game, if need be.

Xatu @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 Def / 240 SpA / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Psyshock
- Heat Wave
- Calm Mind
- Roost

· Xatu was then decided on to be my decent enough check to Hariyama, since that jolly ol’ bastard is omnipresent in the tier as of right now, as well as the fact that it kinda destroys my team once Garbodor is down, and even then, Garbodor can’t quite handle Hariyama that well. A nice powerful Calm Mind set that can ruckus unprepared teams, having Psyshock to bypass any Hariyama Assault Vest, as well as other specially oriented Pokemon. Heat Wave finishes off Ferroseed (always OHKOing after one CM) and does neutral damage to Pokemon like Probopass that resist Psyshock. Also need a way to damage Dark-types, y’know. Outside of that, it is also ANOTHER Pokemon that can prevent hazards from harming my team. I’m running 16 Speed EVs just for the fun of it, Speed creep and all.

Hariyama @ Assault Vest
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Fake Out
- Bullet Punch / Heavy Slam

· Hariyama has basically become a staple point of my teams by now, being a great special attack switch-in. Standard Thick Fat AV set with dual priority designed to take out weakened Pokemon. Bullet Punch is my preference though Heavy Slam helps better destroy Slurpuff.

Threatlist
Hariyama: This thing can essentially tear through my team once Garbodor is gone with little prediction, as nothing wants to deal with the combination of Knock Off and Close Combat. I'll typically have to sack something to get the free switch into Xatu.
Kabutops/Sandslash: While not entirely threats to the team itself, both of these Pokemon can ruin my hard earned hazards while being able to dispose of my spinblocker via Knock Off on a switchin predict. Again, not really a problem for the team, just a minor inconvenience.
-insert more here that I'm unable to think of right now-
Montsegur: You've been the guy who has helped adjust me into the NU tier the most, and probably the main reason I can do even half as good as I do right now. I owe any success I have to you mate. Cheers.
xzern: I mean, you're totally not the reason I started playing NU or anything, so fuk u. :]
Shgeldz: Look at this majestic swank-ass motherfucker.
smelliott: Another swank ass motherfucker who provides the chillest Skype calls ever.
Darnell: You suck. (-insert something about being a help adjusting me to the community or some shit-)
Cranham: For cloning my shiny Greninja and shit.
Trickster: Swag.
Cranham: Tagging you again cause fuk u.
Hollywood: Your evolution is in NU and is fun to use. Also, probably a great tier leader who has helped me in times when I needed them.
-insert all frens here that I can't individually list, love ya all...?-
Oh, and Anto, for giving me someone to call short and have jokes with. Also, for being a really chill person who has helped me grow as a person.

marilli

With you
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
You go through such extreme measures to keep Spikes on the field, but now what? What will you do in order to secure the game with clear field on your side and hazards on theirs?

Your team struggles to deal with EQ Kangaskhan, Feraligatr, Rhydon basically all bulky physical attackers that can get past Garbodor, and your lack of direction allows them to take their time getting those Pokemon into a position where they can take out multiple Pokemon. Garbodor can somewhat check something once and get them low enough to be revenged, but thats as far as it goes. If enemy has Healing Wish + Feraligatr / Kanga, you're basically lost without even really getting a chance to play. Rhydon is even bigger of a problem because it gets a completely free switch against Xatu, walls it, and gets to at least 2HKO everything with the correct prediction. A simple SD Kabutops with SD / AJ / Waterfall / Stone Edge also 6-0s the team at +2 rather handily.

First of all, using Seed Bomb > Toxic Spikes on Garbodor would let you wear down the Rock-types a bit better. You have no real answer to them because your only Rock-type resist, Hariyama, needs to stay healthy to check all the other special attacking threats. It also does enough damage to Kabutops switch-ins to the point he'll die to Rocky Helmet recoil and won't be able to spin. Stealth Rock > Swords Dance might be better because right now, your team has no SR and that's kind of a problem. Honestly though, I'd probably make a few additional tweaks and remove Cryo because both Cryo and Xatu is kind of redundant, which allows you a teamslot to get either a better SR user or a Gatr check. Seismitoad probably fits in pretty nice or something, and that'll let you so that you get to keep the better SD Pawniard without having to gimp its sweeping potential and stuff.

Good luck with ORAS NU!

soulgazer

I FEEL INFINITE
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
There's nothing wrong with Jolly Pawniard. It allows Pawniard to outspeed some Feraligatr (those who usually creep Adamant Pawniard) and to outspeed Modest Samurott and Ludicolo by 1 point, which can be nice on this team when his only switch in is Cryogonal. Hariyama can def take one, but doesn't have reovery and is used for Fire-types from what I can see.

slayerx725232 you do need Stealth Rock somewhere though as they will be helpful to pressure your opponent's team more. Main thing I also see is that you have both Xatu and a Rapid Spin user, and since Xatu is your only way to beat stall (Pawniard has a lot of difficulty to break stall), I am going to suggest Seismitoad > Cryogonal. This gives you an Electric-type immunity, a Feraligatr check, a Ground-type switch in, a Kabutops counter (be careful around Natural Gift gimmicks), and also gives you another good Fire-type switch in to take some pressure off Hariyama to handle those. Go with the standard Physically Defensive spread (200 HP / 252 Def / 56 SpDef with a Relaxed Nature) and standard moveset (EQ / Scald / Stealth Rock / Knock Off). This does make it a bit harder to handle Special Waters though, but if you give Xatu enough Speed to outspeed Max Speed Timid 70s, keep Jolly Pawniard, and play well around them, you should be fine.

Also remember that the current ORAS NU meta is filled with lots of strong Megas and that while this team does indeed look good in the XY meta, it might unfortunately not do too well with all those new threats running around :(

Good luck!

Soulgazer covered pretty much anything in his rate but i still want you to suggest a different Xatu Spread.
252 Def / 240 SpA / 16 Spe Bold is very random to me and running HP Before defense is definitely more beneficial. I personally really like
248 HP / 180 Def / 80 Spe Timid as a spread to outspeed most Kabutops and Mesprit variants as well as Adamant Sawk but a slower spread with more defense can certainly be used. Also
Also remember that the current ORAS NU meta is filled with lots of strong Megas and that while this team does indeed look good in the XY meta, it might unfortunately not do too well with all those new threats running around :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)