SM OU Hazardous Rain Ft. Araquanid

Do you think Araquanid is a threat on this rain team in the OU tier?

• Total voters
ATG’s Pokemon Science Inc. brings you a brand-new season of team building and to kick things off we got a four-part installment for building weather teams! We got rain, sun, sand & hail! This week we will be looking at a very unique, off-meta rain team that has Waterium-Z Araquanid sitting in the driver’s seat.

Hazardous Rain Ft. Araquanid

Team Description

The typical rain teams include the must have’s such as Pelipper, Kingdra and Swampert which are generally accompanied by fast and powerful fighting, electric and flying types and the occasional MScizor or Ferrothorn to take advantage of the reduced fire damage. BUT, today I’m here to offer you a team that takes full advantage of the rain using all six Pokemon!

Obviously, we have the three must have’s including Pelipper, Kingdra and Mega-Swampert. Additionally, we have included Specs Ash-Greninja to take advantage of priority water shuriken in the rain along with U-turn to maintain momentum. SpDef Ferrothorn is a staple here at ATG’s Pokemon Science Inc. and naturally, it has found its way on the team as a devastating force. Finally, The star of the team, Araquanid, carrying the famous Liquidation and Waterium-Z! With his ability Watter Bubble and the rain up, this Z-move is simply the most powerful attack you can have in the Gen 7 OU format. Pokemon that resist this attack can be OHKO’d with ease. Take these damage calcs as a little teaser Adamant Araquanid with 252 Att using Z-Liquidation (160BP) in the rain does 98-116% to MAX Def Skarmory, 73-87% to 252HP Tapu Fini, 105-123% to DD Gyarados, 102-120% to MAX Def Garchomp, 102-120% to MAX Def Celesteela, 114-135% to Offensive Latios, 66-77% to 252HP Mega-Venusaur! I could go on forever, but let’s move on to the team details.

Team Preview

Captain – Araquanid
upload_2017-9-2_14-42-58.png

Araquanid @ Waterium Z
Ability: Water Bubble
EVs: 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Stockpile
- Liquidation

First Mate – Pelipper
upload_2017-9-2_14-44-9.png

Pelipper @ Damp Rock
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Def / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Roost
- Defog
- Scald
- U-turn​

Deck Chief – Mega-Swampert
upload_2017-9-2_14-44-54.png

Swampert-Mega @ Swampertite
Ability: Damp
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch​

Deck Hand 1 – Kingdra
upload_2017-9-2_14-45-30.png

Kingdra @ Choice Specs
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Fire]​

Deck Hand 2 – Ash-Greninja
upload_2017-9-2_14-46-13.png

Greninja-Ash @ Choice Specs
Ability: Battle Bond
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 Att / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Water Shuriken
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- U-turn​

The Body Guard – Ferrothorn
upload_2017-9-2_14-47-19.png

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Def / 240 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Protect
- Leech Seed
- Spikes
- Gyro Ball

The Biography of Hazardous Rain

Hazardous Rain was put together by three best friends who lived harmoniously in the southern tropical rain forest. Pelipper, Kingdra and Swampert would play in the rain all day, every day as they grew up together. One-day Swampert invited his cousin over to play, his name was Greninja. He was a very quick and agile frog during all seasons of the year, Unlike Swampert who only acquired his speed during the rainy season when he must show off his impressive speed and might so he can find a mate. The four friends became so close that every Pokemon in the rain forest knew and admired them. It was for this reason that they decided to hire a body guard to protect them from overzealous fans. A steel-framed, spikey Pokemon named Ferrothorn was perfect for the job. He would use his seeds to leech health from the forest and keep his friends nice and healthy. Unfortunately, the addition of Ferrothorn only made the group even more popular and desirable to their fans. It got to the point where they couldn’t leave their home pond between the four tallest trees in the forest. Pelipper had an idea that would solve their problem! A powerful, robust spider named Araquanid would be their saving grace. Assigned to be the new face of the group, he would act as an unknown Pokemon who would be used to shield the true identity of the entire party. With Araquanid as their Captain, the other Pokemon would never know it was actually Hazardous Rain!

How to Play Hazardous Rain

1) Araquanid –Equipped with Waterium-Z, Araquanid is designed to OHKO threats that resist Hydro Vortex. Rest and stockpile are designed to take advantage of Araquanid’s natural bulk and preserve his longevity. The more you click Liquidation, the more kills you get. Araquanid has just enough speed to out pace threats like Tangrowth and Chansey while maintaining a low speed tier to act as a massive threat against trick-room teams.
Other Options – Using a Brave nature with 0 speed IVs will ensure that Araquanid is untouchable against trick-room teams. His low 42 base speed means that he won’t usually out speed other Pokemon, even with speed investment. Together with Ferrothorn, these two Pokemon are the fastest under trick-room and can easily hold their own until TR ends and then Kingdra and Swampert can finish things off. Additional moves like leech life and poison jab can be used instead of rest or stockpile. This will allow you to better hit mons like Tangrowth and Tapu Fini, especially with a choice band. But honestly, Z-Liquidation hits just as hard or harder in the rain.
Other Items – Splash plate or choice band are optional items to guarantee that every Liquidation hits as hard as possible every time.

2) Pelipper – Pelipper has one use and one use only. Bring the rain! There really isn’t much to say here. Max defensive with roost and defog to preserve longevity. Little to no speed will ensure a slow u-turn to bring in Kingdra, Swampert or Araquanid.

3) Mega-Swampert – On this team, Swampert functions to set up stealth rocks as his opponent switches out for fear of EQ or waterfall. Rocks are very important on Hazardous Rain! Getting up hazards will allow Swampert to sweep without the need to setup with PUP. Removing threats like Ferrothorn, Tangrowth and Skarmory allow Swmpart to effectively do his job.
Other Options – Replacing rocks with PUP allows Swampert to setup and sweep 6-0. Stone edge over ice punch is sometimes used for more damage against flying types. The current build is Jolly to be as fast as possible since this team prioritizes hazard damage over power. You can change to adamant if you prefer the power.

4) Kingdra – This is your main threat! Most of your sweeps will come at the hands of Kingdra following hazards damage from rocks and/or spikes. The standard moves such as draco, surf and ice beam are a must. Although, hydro pump has been replaced with HP fire. Without viable fire or fighting Pokemon on the team, there is little options to take care of Ferrothorn, and that is why HP fire is needed on Kingdra. Besides, with specs and rain, surf is all you will ever need after some hazard damage.
Other Options – Use hydro pump instead of HP fire gives Kingdra a better option to hit threats in the late game that are hurt but resist water. Threats like Tapu Fini, Chansey and Tangrowth. Focus energy along with scope lens will ensure that every attack crits.
Other Items – Scope lens over specs for guaranteed crits when combined with focus energy.

5) Ferrothorn – Ferrothorn has many roles on this team. He functions as the special wall, setup spikes and provides leech seed support. His primary role is to sponge special attacks and get up hazards. Spikes are very important in the early game! With the support of rain, Ferrothorn is only threatened by fighting moves, and physical fighting moves at that. Under trick-room Ferrothorn becomes very threatening and can easily help stall out the turns. SpDef Ferro stalls out Magerna, Celesteela and Magnezone, especially in the rain.
Other Options – The only thing worth changing about Ferrothorn on this team is his primary attack. Gyro ball could be replaced with power whip. Although, gyro ball is good for steel/fairy threats such as Magerna and Mawile.
Other Items – Rocky helmet over leftovers if you want residual damage.

6) Ash-Greninja – This is your primary speed outside of rain. With 132 base speed, only MBeedrill, MAlakazam and MAerodactyl are faster threats. Ash-Greninja is the only priority on the team and with specs plus rain, he hits like a truck! Water Shuriken is necessary for threats like +2 MPinsir quick attack or +2 MMawile sucker punch or trick room teams and even scarf threats. U-turn is excellent for maintaining momentum against special walls like AV Tangrowth, SpDef Ferrothorn and Chansey.
Other Options – Ice beam over U-turn to OHKO threats like Garchomp, Zygarde, Dragonite

How to Beat the Threats with Hazardous Rain
Top Threats:

1) Ferrothorn – The best way to take care of this mon is with HP fire from Specs Kingdra OUTSIDE of the rain, which does 76-89% against the standard Showdown set. Waterium-Z Araquanid can also do a ton of damage in the rain. 55-64% Against the standard Showdown set.

2) AV Tangrowth – With the assault vest, Kingdra is severely crippled. Draco does 50-60% and ice beam does 46-55%. Once again, z-move Araquanid can deal massive damage in the rain, 58-69%. Non-AV Tangrowth is easily handled with Kingdra surf or ice beam.

3) Chansey – The best way to deal with this mon is Araquanid, 107-127% with Z-Liquidation in the rain against max Def Chansey. Unfortunately, the next best counter is Swampert which only does 41-48% with waterfall in the rain. With rocks and spikes, Chansey has very limited times it can switch in and take attacks.

4) Defensive Skarmory – This mon completely walls Swampert and can get up hazards which are extremely effective against this team in the early game before sweeping can occur. Waterfall in the rain only does 37-44%. Fortunately, Araquanid can OHKO with Z-Liquidation in the rain, doing 98-116% against max def Skarmory! Be careful because brave bird does 64-76.8% to Araquanid which is usually slower (unless max speed).

5) Mega-Tyranitar – The main threat is his ability to remove the rain upon mega evolution while being able to out speed Pelipper and OHKO with Stone edge or being equipped with great coverage such as Fire punch, ice punch and DD. After two dances, this mon can easily sweep the team if Pelipper is gone. Kingdra surf in the sand does 65-77%, Ash-Greninja water shuriken in the sand does 58-68%. Pelipper scald in the sand does 28-33% (with chance to burn on the DD). The best way to counter Mega TTar is with Swampert. EQ does 77-88% and waterfall does 60-71% in the sand. Ttar’s best attack to hit Swampert is usually EQ if it has the coverage, which only does 35-41% and 70-82% at +2 Att. Because Swampert is Jolly, he does out speed the more common adamant Ttar.

6) Mega-CharizardY – This mon is straight up scary! You cannot lead Pelipper against a Zard-Y because the rain gets removed upon mega evolution. The best way to counter is with Ferrothorn lead… just listen, and then protect to draw out mega evolution and then switch to Pelipper for the rain. (Be careful because if this is a Zard-X then they get a free DD!) Kingdra 4 times resists the fire attacks and does 84-99% with draco and 57-69% with surf in the sun.

7) Alolan-Ninetails – Pelipper being slower gets rain over hail but Ninetails can switch in to get hail back up. Most importantly, freeze-dry can easily OHKO and without Pelipper you are screwed! Freeze-dry can OHKO Pelipper, Kingdra and MSwampert! Araquanid takes 42-49% from freeze-dry and does 90-107% back with Liquidation. Ferrothorn completely walls as HP fire only does 36-43% in the hail. Ferrothorn threatens an OHKO with gyro ball but allows the veil to get up.

8) Scarf Tapu Koko – This mon out speeds the entire rain team and can OHKO Pelipper and Greninja with wild charge or thunderbolt while doing 73-86% to Kingdra with wild charge. This assumes electric terrain is up. Ferrothorn walls this Pokemon and does 63-74% with gyro ball and can get up seeds or spikes. Greninja water shuriken also does 125-150% in the rain and 84-100% outside. Plus, scarf Koko can’t touch Swampert except with U-turn to maintain momentum.

9) Scarf Latios – Out speeds every mon except Kingdra and resists Greninja’s water shuriken. Latios can also carry excellent coverage such as thunderbolt, trick and energy ball. Kingdra does 79-94% with ice beam and always OHKO with draco. Ferrothorn walls Latios completely but can be severely crippled with trick. With Latios at -2 SpAtt, greninja will live the next draco (49-58%) and can easily OHKO with dark pulse or maintain momentum with U-turn (56-66%). Avoid trick by switching to Araquanid which can OHKO with Z-Liquidation in the rain. Scarf Latios draco does 52-62% to Araquanid and thunderbolt does 49-57%.

Difficulty Rating for Hazardous Rain

Hazardous Rain is a very fast paced team. Most matches are over in less than 20 turns. The early game is most important. Initial predictions and switches allow hazards to get up and stay up which lets Kingdra sweep around turn 10. Mental awareness is moderate but against rain, your opponent usually only has a couple options at their disposal. The games are so short that a high mental capacity is not required. The team has been used for about 40-50 battles in the OU tier to reach the low 1600's. With all of my teams I have included the overall Team Difficulty Rating.

1) Predictions: 4
2) Switches: 4
3) Mental Awareness: 3
4) Mental Capacity: 2
5) Overall: 3

Rating Scale – (1)Minimal (2)Low (3)Moderate (4)High (5)Maximal

Hazardous Rain Ft. Araquanid created by ATG’s Pokemon Science Incorporated

Last edited:
Neat take on a rain team. Although for being a "very fast paced team" as you said, it sure have a very slow Araquanid set. The main reason this set is just plain bad is that it stalls out you OWN rain turns, as well as potentially losing you momentum. This set needs to be changed for this team to be truly competitive.
Araquanid @ Choice Band
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Liquidation
- Leech Life
- Sleep Talk
- Rest

This is the set snatched right out of the analysis. I tweaked it a little, as the analysis one for OU was a trick room set, but I feel a Choice Band set without all that negative speed malarkey could work just fine as a rain wallbreaker.
Good luck with the team n_n

Hi, really nice team you have. Anyway, there are some issues your team has a hard time facing and which I'm trying to point out to you.
First of all, I need to admit that the Water-Spam is something I really like. Unfortunately, you need to be very careful when doing it since this generation has brought in some water-immune pokemons that are really difficult for your team members to wear down. Specifically, I'm talking about Mantine and Gastrodon. These two fat things can take every hit from your mons and just toxic you, recover/roost and win this way the battle in a shameful way. For Mantine, the only thing I came up with is running HP Electric > HP Fire on Kingdra
, though it won't OHKO it and will force the opponent to switch out, making you loose a turn of rain. To better deal with Gastrodon I highly suggest you running Power Whip > Gyro Ball on your Ferrothorn
, which helps your match-up against other rain teams too.
Lastly, I think a Hasty nature is kind of a waste on Greninja
since it makes you loose the necessary bulk to hold up priority users such as Mega-Pinsir. That's why I think a Timid Nature with Spikes > U-Turn would be very helpful for you, allowing you to set up at least a layer of spikes on one of all the switches Greninja causes and make easier for your cleaners to do their job. This would free the spikes slot on your Ferrothorn, allowing it to use either Gyro Ball, Knock Off or Stealth Rock (then remember to give Swampert PuP)

Hope I helped! :)

PS: didn't mentioned that I completely agree with the previous user's comment. You may also try Poison Jab > Rest to OHKO Tapu Bulu and 2HKO Tapu Fini.

Last edited:
Neat take on a rain team. Although for being a "very fast paced team" as you said, it sure have a very slow Araquanid set. The main reason this set is just plain bad is that it stalls out you OWN rain turns, as well as potentially losing you momentum. This set needs to be changed for this team to be truly competitive.
Araquanid @ Choice Band
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Liquidation
- Leech Life
- Sleep Talk
- Rest

This is the set snatched right out of the analysis. I tweaked it a little, as the analysis one for OU was a trick room set, but I feel a Choice Band set without all that negative speed malarkey could work just fine as a rain wallbreaker.
Good luck with the team n_n
Araquanid counters TR (if you read the post I mention Araquanid can be modified with Brave nature although not always needed because its already so slow) plus I don't need to be fast if I live hits. Check out the replay below. OHKO a Celesteela then eat a LeLe Psychic and OHKO in return from full with Liquidation. Perfect use of two rain turns. You just got to know how to use the set.

I am a fan of the max speed choice band as that is the original set... Again, if you read my post I specifically offer the CB set as another option. Please don't comment if you don't even read the post.. Splash plate, CB, z-crystal... I love them all. I prefer the z-crystal to switch in on slow knocks from Muk or Mawile, etc. This team struggles a bit against TR but with a slow Araquanid you can counter sweep.

Araquanid going in Replay - http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-626192632

Last edited:
Hi, really nice team you have. Anyway, there are some issues your team has a hard time facing and which I'm trying to point out to you.
First of all, I need to admit that the Water-Spam is something I really like. Unfortunately, you need to be very careful when doing it since this generation has brought in some water-immune pokemons that are really difficult for your team members to wear down. Specifically, I'm talking about Mantine and Gastrodon. These two fat things can take every hit from your mons and just toxic you, recover/roost and win this way the battle in a shameful way. For Mantine, the only thing I came up with is running HP Electric > HP Fire on Kingdra
, though it won't OHKO it and will force the opponent to switch out, making you loose a turn of rain. To better deal with Gastrodon I highly suggest you running Power Whip > Gyro Ball on your Ferrothorn
, which helps your match-up against other rain teams too.
Lastly, I think a Hasty nature is kind of a waste on Greninja
since it makes you loose the necessary bulk to hold up priority users such as Mega-Pinsir. That's why I think a Timid Nature with Spikes > U-Turn would be very helpful for you, allowing you to set up at least a layer of spikes on one of all the switches Greninja causes and make easier for your cleaners to do their job. This would free the spikes slot on your Ferrothorn, allowing it to use either Gyro Ball, Knock Off or Stealth Rock (then remember to give Swampert PuP)

Hope I helped! :)

PS: didn't mentioned that I completely agree with the previous user's comment. You may also try Poison Jab > Rest to OHKO Tapu Bulu and 2HKO Tapu Fini.

I really love your analysis! thank you for taking time to review my team and provide insightful counter options in hopes of improving my team!

So my thoughts are:
I rarely see Mantine so I am skeptical about the HP electric but with the HP fire, my own rain gets in the way sometimes so I may give it a shot. My Greninja was originally Timid but the extra damage from U-turn on Latios, Ttar and Tangrowth came in handy. With that besing said, I like the idea of freeing a spot on Ferrothorn so I am going to swap U-turn for spikes and give Ferro something else. Perhaps maybe steath rocks and give Swampert PUP.. or knock off on Ferro like you said. That would be very helpful since I have no form of knock at the moment. For Araquanid, I love the jab for Bulu since Araquanid always lives a hit (unless CB) and can OHKO in return. I'm a big fan of the CB Araquanid set so I do swab back and fourth a lot. I run two CB sets; Sleep Talk, Leech Life, Poison Jab and Liquidation or Rest, Sleep Talk, Poison jab and Liquidation. I didn't consider running Poison Jab unless I was CB, but it is still a viable option since Bulu and Tangrowth are huge problems. I get such a rush using Z-Liquidation in the rain right now, it just obliterates EVERYTHING! I will try Poison jab over stockpile as it still does 80-95% without CB.

Again, thanks so much for taking the time to post your analysis! I really appreciate it :)

Last edited:
Araquanid counters TR (if you read the post I mention Araquanid can be modified with Brave nature although not always needed because its already so slow) plus I don't need to be fast if I live hits. Check out this replay. OHKO a Celesteela then eat a LeLe Psychic and OHKO in return from full with Liquidation. Perfect use of two rain turns. You just got to know how to use the set.

I am a fan of the max speed choice band as that is the original set... Again, if you read my post I specifically offer the CB set as another option. Please don't comment if you don't even read the post.. Splash plate, CB, z-crystal... I love them all. I prefer the z-crystal to switch in on slow knocks from Muk or Mawile. This team struggles a bit against TR but with a slow Araquanid you can counter sweep.

That wasn't my point. My point was if you are going to try to set up like that, you were going to eat at your rain turns.

Starting a post to compile replays! The first couple replays show Araquanid's usefulness on the team... and that is to remove bulky threats that wall my rain sweepers. Threats like AV Tang, Toxapex, Skarmory, Ferrothorn and Chansey.

Toxapex is a big problem to the team, especially when accompanied by scarf Latios, defensive Lando, Uxie, Cressilia, Tangrowth or other bulky mons with a ground immunity/resist. Luckily, with Araquanid Z-Liquidation, there is no need to risk an EQ immunity :)

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7oususpecttest-626742000 - Araquanid weakens Tox to the point where I can spam waterfall instead of EQ
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7oususpecttest-627096268 - Araquanid straight 2HKO Tox on the switch... Everybody thinks their Tang or Tox can wall the spider, that is, until they see the z-move ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)