XY UU Hazards Phasing Team ft.Boufallant

Hazards Focused Phasing Team
ft.Sap Sipper Boufallant

Introduction

I made this team after finding success utilising a Dragon Tailing Rhyperior on one of my previous teams and wanted to create a team which was focused on the idea of racking up hazards damage with a hefty defensive core with multiple phasing moves to really rack up the damage.

As this team includes a lot of similar sets (Recovery+Dragontail/Roar) I will try not to repeat myself to much when they essentially function the same, bar the fact I bring each Pokémon in on a different threats.

The Team

Omnastar

Item:
Leftovers
Ability: Weak Armor
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Spikes
- Surf
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic Spikes

For the rest of my team I wanted to leave as many slots free possible so I could try and get both a recovery and a phasing move so I picked Omnastar as he is probably the most reliable hazard setter that has access to three different hazards which I could pick and choose about which ones I placed depending on the set up of the opposing team.
He plays rather simply as his sole purpose is to get hazards up on the field but also puts in work against other hazard setters and Spinners, especially Forretress and Donphan, meaning he can usually win out that fight when your opponent is also trying to get hazards on your side of the field even with only one offensive move.

Arcanine

Item:
Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Gentle Nature
- Roar
- Flamethrower
- Morning Sun
- ExtremeSpeed

I went for Arcanine next as I wanted something with access to priority but also fit the whole idea of being both able to phase my opponent's Pokémon and regenerate the health of my own and having Intimidate on a team which wants to force a lot of switches is a great bonus.
Preserving Arcanine is usually of utmost importance as this team has no other way of picking off low health heavy hitters without taking a big chunk of damage, luckily this task is fairly easy as it's very rarely you will have to switch him in on something that can 2HKO him so you can top his health back up with Morning sun while your opponent switches out and if the damage they deal is neglible you get a free and easy Roar to continue building up that damage.

Rhyperior

Item: Leftovers
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Tail
- Earthquake
- Rock Blast
- Rest

This being the guy that inspired this team it is only natural he has a place on it and runs a very standard bulky offense set bar the fact he is now free to carry Rest over stealth rock which when paired with the Florges who carrys Aromatherapy he has a real chance of resetting the damage on himself and returning to do what Rhyperior does best, get hit and hit back harder.
He again is very easy to utilise though it can involve some prediction which essentially comes down to whether they are going to switch or not, if you think they will click Dragon tail, if not hit the appropriate STAB.

Boufallant

*Dummy Serperior doesn't know about sap sipper
Item: Choice Band
Ability: Sap Sipper
Adamant Nature
- Head Charge
- Facade
- Pursuit
- Earthquake

After including two Pokes who have a quad weakness to grass I felt it was a no brainer to include something with sap sipper on this team and chose Bouffallant as not only does it have strong Attack but also possesses reasonable bulk meaning it can still safely switch in on most things and still get off a choice banded Head charge/Earthquake which even without hazards will be able to put huge dents in the opposing team.
The set is rounded out with Pursuit and Facade which allows you to trap threats which are trying to swap out and predict oponents who will try and stay in and status you.

Dragalge

Item:
Black Sludge
Ability: Poison Point
Gentle Nature
- Dragon Tail
- Sludge Bomb
- Toxic
- Dragon Pulse

Dragalge tends to be the weakest link of this team due to the fact he is lacking recovery but the fact this guy is both a bulky dragon and can absorb toxic spikes makes him a valuable member of this team.
I bring out this guy mostly to apply toxic to the tougher walls and continue the task of phasing out the opponents team.

Florges

Item:
Leftovers
Ability: Flower Veil
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Wish
- Aromatherapy
- Moonblast
- Protect

Florges rounds out the line up as the resident wish passer and Status healer helping to keep the team together for a greater length of time giving the team more time to rack up the hazard damage by ensuring they don't die to things like Toxic.
In practise Florges still mostly acts as an extra switch in to take dragon and special hits but without a means to force the opponent out apart from the threat of an uninvested moonblast Florges ends up more as a support to keep the rest of the lineup ticking than anything else.

Well that's the team and I guess it's a little gimmicky but it's grabbed me some satisfying wins and is less stally than you'd think so I hope you like it and can gain something from it ^^

Omastar @ Leftovers
Ability: Weak Armor
Bold Nature
- Spikes
- Surf
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic Spikes

Arcanine @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
Gentle Nature
- Roar
- Flamethrower
- Morning Sun
- ExtremeSpeed

Rhyperior @ Leftovers
Ability: Solid Rock
Shiny: Yes
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Tail
- Earthquake
- Rock Blast
- Rest

Bouffalant @ Choice Band
Ability: Sap Sipper
Adamant Nature
- Head Charge
- Facade
- Pursuit
- Earthquake

Dragalge @ Black Sludge
Ability: Poison Point
Gentle Nature
- Dragon Tail
- Sludge Bomb
- Toxic
- Dragon Pulse

Florges (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Flower Veil
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Wish
- Aromatherapy
- Moonblast
- Protect

for a hazard team you have no spin blocker and that means no way to keep the hazards up. trevenant is a nice spin blocker, as well defog emploeon is a thing and the only thing you have to stop empoleon is rhyperior and bofullant, both of which empoleon naturally outspeeds. So i would either run enough speed investment to outspeed 4 speed empoleon on boufalnt or add a spin blocker.

for a hazard team you have no spin blocker and that means no way to keep the hazards up. trevenant is a nice spin blocker, as well defog emploeon is a thing and the only thing you have to stop empoleon is rhyperior and bofullant, both of which empoleon naturally outspeeds. So i would either run enough speed investment to outspeed 4 speed empoleon on boufalnt or add a spin blocker.
Thanks for the comment
I like the idea of adding a Tevenant to this line up, who would you suggest I replace from this lineup? I'm leaning towards Dragalge at the moment
I'm not sure about adding the speed to Boufallant as after running a number of Calcs I can't really see much that an Empoleon can do to him that he can't shrug off

Hey there bud, Nice team.

The first flaw i see is that omastar is not name Lord helix easily crippled by faster taunters, so I would suggest running a mental herb over lefties.

Moving on Dragagle does seem like a kinda weak link on the team, and I would suggest changing it up for slowbro. This will leave you kinda weak to toxic spikes, but at the same time it will fix the issue of powerful physical sweepers, like lucario thatelse way have a fun time against you (even Florges won't take a bullet punch too well)

When that's said, you could go with forretress as a hazard setter, though it cannot beat opposing hazard setters, it can spin it off. It's also more reliable because of its two abilities sturdy and overcoat, overcoat getting opponent to think twice before sporting it, and sturdy letting it at the very least get one hazard of. It's access to volt switch and gyroball can also help the team, gaining momentum or hitting faster stuff really hard, respectively.

Forretress and slowbro:
Forretress @ Mental Herb
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Gyro Ball
- Toxic Spikes
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin

Slowbro @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Psyshock
- Slack Off
- Thunder Wave

Thanks for the comment
I like the idea of adding a Tevenant to this line up, who would you suggest I replace from this lineup? I'm leaning towards Dragalge at the moment
I'm not sure about adding the speed to Boufallant as after running a number of Calcs I can't really see much that an Empoleon can do to him that he can't shrug off
From the post below i second that you should be running mental herb over leftys. And actually, i think trevenant could replace rhyperior as well. You could rest lum and harvest the lum, as well as the spinblocker and also make him offensive with that base 110 attack, but dragalge is an option as well. -The speed investment for boufalant would be to prevent empoleon from coming in and defoging all the rocks before you kill him off. This way, you kill him off first.

Hiya Bossfrog, cute team.

Couple of things to think about for a hazard-stacking phazing team:

You're putting a lot of pressure on Omastar to set up hazards. If you lead with it and your opponent leads with, say, a Nidoqueen, if you stay in, you start the match 5-6 with a dead Omastar and no hazards at all, essentially defeating your team and its purpose. Try to spread out your hazard setters or use a more reliable one. Forretress, which was mentioned earlier, is a good choice for spikes + t-spikes, while Rhyperior can take on the role of SR setter. (Protip: Dragalge learns Toxic Spikes! ((And is also in NU, because it gets OHKO'd by no investment psyshock from Mew, probs.)) )

Lucario, particularly the Nasty Plot variant, just about 6-0s your team with some support. I suggest taking a gander at the UU Viability Ranking Thread here: https://www.smogon.com/forums/threa...-thread-swampert-tornadus-discussion.3500340/
This will help you discern what threatens your team and how to prepare for it. :) Other common threats include Sub CM Chandelure, SD Heracross, Anything with Earthquake, and CB Victini + Megadactyl (once Rhyperior's gone).

Running a nature that boosts one defense and lowers the other on a defensive pokemon not meant to suicide isn't that great of an idea; I suggest a Sassy Nature on Arcanine and Dragalge, since they won't be outspeeding anything anytime soon with those spreads anyway.

Lastly, as Dragon Tail takes up 2/3 of your phazing moves, any fairy (very prominently Granbull) can only be phazed out by Arcanine, and completely kills your momentum.

Overall, your team's general idea is solid, but keep in mind that the UU Metagame is quite hard-hitting, and build your defensive/phazing cores with synergy to counter them. For example, Rhyperior + Virizion cover each others weaknesses while maintaining offensive presence and both possessing phazing moves.

Cheers, man! :)

Hello Bossfrog. Really like the team. I just have one suggestion, Will-O-Wisp on arcainine. This allows you to become a much reliable tank, as well as crippling most physical sweepers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)