Project heat

Hey all! I'm back with a few more weird ideas I had while screwing around on the OU ladder.
First up is everyone's favorite James Bond wannabe, Inteleon.
View attachment 384841
Very Serious Inteleon Fan Art by salanchu on DeviantArt
Inteleon@Life Orb
Ability: Sniper
252 Spe / 252 SpA / 4 HP
Timid Nature
-Focus Energy
-Hydro Pump
-Ice Beam
-Scale Shot
The idea is to go for Focus Energy, then scale shot purely for the +1 speed boost, then run through town with sniper crit-boosted Hydro Pumps and Ice Beams, since they hit just about everything for at least Neutral damage. Pretty simple, works best as a late game cleaner once its checks(like Toxapex and Blissey) have been removed, behind screens/veil so it can set up safely.
Next up is something anyone who's played enough random battles with be familiar with:
View attachment 384844
Salazzle by Slovenskiy on DeviantArt
Salazzle@Black Sludge
Ability: Corrosion
252 Spe / 252 HP / 4 Def
Timid Nature
-Toxic
-Substitute
-Protect/Encore/Disable/Torment/Attract
-Flamethrower
The idea is pretty simple again: be annoying and spread Poison. Not a groundbreaking set since its actually something you can pull in RandBats, but an underrated set that I've had a ton of fun playing with in OU. Salazzle's fast speed lets it spam Protect and Sub while the opponent slowly dies, and Corrosion means you can pull it off on any non-Magic Guard mon. It's typing also makes a good switch-in to scarf Lele's Moonblast, and its speed alongside Flamethrower means it can revenge non-scarfed Kartana. Other than that it's really up to you to pick whatever combo of support moves would annoy the opp the best. I've been using Protect/Sub, but I can see Encore/Disable working, as well as Attract/Sub, Torment/Protect, etc.
And finally, one of my favorite sets in the last couple weeks:
View attachment 384846
Noctowl by Seepia on DeviantArt
Noctowl@Life Orb
Ability: Tinted Lens
252 Spe / 252 SpA / 4 Def
Modest Nature
-Hurricane/ Air Slash
-Hyper Voice
-Agility
-Nasty Plot
This is the same concept as the double dance Drapion I posted not too long ago, get both set-up moves off then wreck. The choice between Hurricane and Air Slash is dependent on the team you use it on. If its a rain team, or your feeling like risking that 30% miss every time for the substantial power boost, go for Hurricane. If not, Air Slash. And after a NP, this things hits hard enough that you wouldn't believe it has a sub-90 SpA stat. Defensive Zapdos? Gone. PhysDef Lando? Gone. Pex with even a little chip? Gone. Late game it get extremely hard to stop this thing from wrecking a weakened squad once it gets in on something it scares or doesn't threaten it, like Ferro, Buzz, Defensive Lando, Pex lacking Toxic, etc. Especially if you have screens support. Alternatively, if you're on a rain team, you can use a Specs set with the same spread as above, swapping LO for specs, Agility for Heat Wave, and NP for Defog. You can go timid if you want, but it doesn't outspeed much other than Adamant Bisharp, which murders us with Sucker Punch anyway. Tinted Lens means this thing's Hurricane is actually harder to switch into than Torn's, albeit at the price of being slower and frailer, so use every opportunity to get it in with things like Barraskewda's Flip Turn, Koko's Volt Switch, and Pelipper's U-Turn.
I tend to play a certain Inteleon set thats very similar to yours minus the inclusion of scale shot and life orb, i like the crit flinches dark pulse gives me and scope lens pretty much guarantees crits on every move, and i hafta say not very often does inteleon see the chance to use another set up move like scale shot after it used focus energy. How often does this work? I tend to use grimmsnarl for screens as extra protection just to ensure it can even live after the first focus energy, do you use other support mons to help it pull off the extra scale shot?
- questions from a fellow inteleon player

You guys are sleeping on Drednaw. It could be paired with Barraskewda under rain, but I doubt anyone has used these mons together though. You may be wondering, who the fuck is Drednaw? That's what I wondered too, until I explored its moves a bit. When I did, I found something amazing. Head Smash. Although risky, with Swords Dance it can OHKO nearly every mon that Choice Band Barraskewda prays to even dent.

Drednaw @ Hard Stone
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Liquidation
- Head Smash
- Superpower

The key item here is the Hard Stone, which powers Head Smash up, but doesn't let it take anymore unnecessary chip damage with Life Orb. It's main problem is obviously it takes heavy recoil, but the fact that it needs to run Adamant, but in turn is bad. Adamant Drednaw under rain means it cannot outspeed common speed control mons such as Garchomp at +1. Adamant is necessary, and I'll just let the data do the talking.

+2 252+ Atk Hard Stone Drednaw Head Smash vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro: 399-469 (101.2 - 119%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Hard Stone Drednaw Head Smash vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Toxapex: 315-372 (103.6 - 122.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Drednaw Superpower vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Ferrothorn: 416-490 (118.1 - 139.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Hard Stone Drednaw Head Smash vs. 252 HP / 144+ Def Buzzwole: 363-427 (86.8 - 102.1%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Hard Stone Drednaw Head Smash vs. 248 HP / 56 Def Multiscale Dragonite: 580-684 (150.6 - 177.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Hard Stone Drednaw Head Smash vs. 252 HP / 192+ Def Tapu Fini: 405-477 (117.7 - 138.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Hard Stone Drednaw Head Smash vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Tangrowth: 364-430 (90 - 106.4%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Hard Stone Drednaw Head Smash vs. 252 HP / 168+ Def Amoonguss: 583-687 (134.9 - 159%) -- guaranteed OHKO

As you an see, Adamant Drednaw has an amazing chance to OHKO almost anything that could be considered to be Skewda checks. But you should see a trend here, which is everything is at +2. Which means it could needs to set up a Swords Dance. But, what can it set up on? Due to it's unfortunate typing, hardly anything. Writing this, a new idea popped into my mind to avoid this.

Drednaw @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Liquidation
- Head Smash
- Superpower
- Stone Edge / Stealth Rock

Choice Band Drednaw can be used to avoid setting up a turn just for a Swords Dance, while 2HKOing almost all of the mons previously mentioned with Head Smash. The problem here is it is locked in, and it can be danced around like the electric slide on prom night. The last move can be up to you, Stone Edge to avoid recoil while still having a reliable Rock move, or Stealth Rock as a last resort rocker. we should get this to OU like we did with Arctozolt and Volcanion

But seriously, Drednaw with both its sets has a lot of flaws such as no Flip Turn but it is no doubt a powerhouse under rain, hell even in general with Swords Dance Head Smash. However, it will be most effective under rain where it can outspeed a lot of mons with Swift Swim.

Last edited:
You guys are sleeping on Drednaw. It could be paired with Barraskewda under rain, but I doubt anyone has used these mons together though. You may be wondering, who the fuck is Drednaw? That's what I wondered too, until I explored its moves a bit. When I did, I found something amazing. Head Smash. Although risky, with Swords Dance it can OHKO nearly every mon that Choice Band Barraskewda prays to even dent.

Drednaw @ Hard Stone
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Liquidation
- Head Smash
- Superpower

The key item here is the Hard Stone, which powers Head Smash up, but doesn't let it take anymore unnecessary chip damage with Life Orb. It's main problem is obviously it takes heavy recoil, but the fact that it needs to run Adamant, but in turn is bad. Adamant Drednaw under rain means it cannot outspeed common speed control mons such as Garchomp at +1. Adamant is necessary, and I'll just let the data do the talking.

+2 252+ Atk Hard Stone Drednaw Head Smash vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro: 399-469 (101.2 - 119%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Hard Stone Drednaw Head Smash vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Toxapex: 315-372 (103.6 - 122.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Drednaw Superpower vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Ferrothorn: 416-490 (118.1 - 139.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Hard Stone Drednaw Head Smash vs. 252 HP / 144+ Def Buzzwole: 363-427 (86.8 - 102.1%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Hard Stone Drednaw Head Smash vs. 248 HP / 56 Def Multiscale Dragonite: 580-684 (150.6 - 177.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Hard Stone Drednaw Head Smash vs. 252 HP / 192+ Def Tapu Fini: 405-477 (117.7 - 138.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Hard Stone Drednaw Head Smash vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Tangrowth: 364-430 (90 - 106.4%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Hard Stone Drednaw Head Smash vs. 252 HP / 168+ Def Amoonguss: 583-687 (134.9 - 159%) -- guaranteed OHKO

As you an see, Adamant Drednaw has an amazing chance to OHKO almost anything that could be considered to be Skewda checks. But you should see a trend here, which is everything is at +2. Which means it could needs to set up a Swords Dance. But, what can it set up on? Due to it's unfortunate typing, hardly anything. Writing this, a new idea popped into my mind to avoid this.

Drednaw @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Liquidation
- Head Smash
- Superpower

Choice Band Drednaw can be used to avoid setting up a turn just for a Swords Dance, while 2HKOing almost all of the mons previously mentioned with Head Smash. The problem here is it is locked in, and it can be danced around like the electric slide on prom night. The last move can be up to you, Stone Edge to avoid recoil while still having a reliable Rock move, or Stealth Rock as a last resort rocker. we should get this to OU like we did with Arctozolt and Volcanion

But seriously, Drednaw with both its sets has a lot of flaws such as no Flip Turn but it is no doubt a powerhouse under rain, hell even in general with Swords Dance Head Smash. However, it will be most effective under rain where it can outspeed a lot of mons with Swift Swim.
Could you just run Jolly + Life Orb to outpace +1 Chomp, Blaceph, Kart etc while still getting basically the same KOs?

+2 252 Atk Life Orb Drednaw Head Smash vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro: 394-464 (100 - 117.7%)

Roughly 1% less Head Smash damage but more speed and much more power when spamming water moves. Yeah Head Smash + LO is a lot of recoil but if you're wall breaking it barely matters. Of course if beating scarfers isn't important Adamant is better.

Last edited:
Could you just run Jolly + Life Orb to outpace +1 Chomp, Blaceph, Kart etc while still getting basically the same KOs?

+2 252 Atk Life Orb Drednaw Head Smash vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro: 394-464 (100 - 117.7%)

Roughly 1% less damage but more speed and much more power when spamming water moves. Yeah Head Smash + LO is a lot of recoil but if you're wall breaking it barely matters. Of course if beating scarfers isn't important Adamant is better.
Jolly can be good if you plan to revenge kill on switch-in, but Adamant can be better for guaranteeding OHKOs, making Liquidation do more damage at +2/+0, or solely attacking without an SD up. With Life Orb, it can make Drednaw at +0 a bit better at cleaning, but with the only STAB move being Head Smash wears it down a lot, maybe even too much.

Drednaw @ Hard Stone
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Liquidation
- Head Smash
- Superpower

Drednaw @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Liquidation
- Head Smash
- Superpower

This looks cool, I'll have to try it out.
Had you considered using Razor Shell over Liquidation on the Hard Stone set? The 50% chance for a defence drop looks to do quite well in the calcs and it mitigates the risk involved with SDing. EQ or Megahorn might be better over SD in that case, I can't think of many opportunities for it to get one in OU anyway.

Last edited:

Thunder Pwoell

Banned deucer.
dropping this team with no context. coballion shits on weavile. nidoking is ur only special attacker

https://pokepast.es/f44c611346a1f43c

1651110069084.png

Victini @ Assault Vest
Ability: Victory Star
Hasty Nature
- V-create
- Bolt Strike
- Power-Up Punch
- Glaciate

Mandibuzz @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Overcoat
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 224 HP / 252 Def / 32 Spe
Impish Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Toxic
- Foul Play
- Roost
- Defog

Terrakion @ Life Orb
Ability: Justified
EVs: 64 HP / 252 Atk / 192 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Rock Polish

Nidoking (M) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Sludge Wave
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power

Dragapult @ Life Orb
Ability: Clear Body
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Darts
- Phantom Force
- Sucker Punch

Cobalion @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Justified
EVs: 216 HP / 176 Atk / 68 Def / 4 SpD / 44 Spe
Impish Nature
- Swords Dance
- Sacred Sword
- Iron Head
- Megahorn

hit em up terrakion
by Omari P
Format: gen8ou

blooclipse

formerly Bluecliqse
nature power tran.
does a few fun things and does its usual job worse. yay!
:ss/Heatran:
Heatran @ Expert Belt / Life Orb / Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
Timid Nature
- Nature Power
- Magma Storm
- Stealth Rock / Taunt / Toxic
- Earth Power
ty to Smashburn for reminding me expert belt exists!
pair with fini for misty terrain to destroy cocky dragonite or garchomp switching in, grassy terrain for grounds or waters like slowbro or pert , or electric terrain for waters like bro and pelipper.
expert belt usually preferred for those sweet sweet OHKOs (LO hits even more OHKO's) making you not need prediction but lefties are always nice
252 SpA Expert Belt Heatran Nature Power (95 BP Fairy) vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Dragonite in Misty Terrain: 250-295 (64.9 - 76.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO(2hko bc the first hit breaks multiscale)
252 SpA Expert Belt Heatran Nature Power (95 BP Fairy) vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Dragapult in Misty Terrain: 317-374 (100 - 117.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Expert Belt Heatran Nature Power (95 BP Fairy) vs. 252 HP / 40 SpD Kommo-o in Misty Terrain: 461-542 (130.2 - 153.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Expert Belt Heatran Nature Power (90 BP Grass) vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Slowbro in Grassy Terrain: 367-434 (93.1 - 110.1%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO (OHKO's if running LO)
252 SpA Expert Belt Heatran Nature Power (90 BP Grass) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Swampert in Grassy Terrain: 475-562 (117.5 - 139.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Expert Belt Heatran Nature Power (90 BP Grass) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Gastrodon in Grassy Terrain: 504-595 (118.3 - 139.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Expert Belt Heatran Nature Power (90 BP Electric) vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Slowbro in Electric Terrain: 367-434 (93.1 - 110.1%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO(OHKO's if running LO)
252 SpA Expert Belt Heatran Nature Power (90 BP Electric) vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Pelipper in Electric Terrain: 816-960 (252.6 - 297.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Expert Belt Heatran Nature Power (90 BP Electric) vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Toxapex in Electric Terrain: 226-266 (74.3 - 87.5%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock (50% OHKO if running LO)

Last edited:
Heatran bait Celesteela
This is a really fun set I used to build around.

:ss/celesteela:
Celesteela @ Weakness Policy :weakness-policy:
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge/Seed Bomb
- Autotomize

Celesteela's most common sets are specially defensive and meteor beam. Heatran is such a free switch in for both of them. But Celesteela can learn earthquake. You can also lure in Galarian Slowking and Zeraora. Neither of them can OHKO Celesteela and they both die to weakness policy boosted earthquake. Stone edge deals with flying types while seed bomb deals with bulky waters. 216 speed investment speed creeps Zeraora after an autotomize. Other speed ev options include 208 speed + jolly to speed creep Arctozolt, or 236 speed + jolly to speed creep scarfed Tapu Lele (And Galarian Darmanitan for monotype). I stopped using it because of it's flaws (mainly the first 2 ones), but I figured I might as well share it here.

Pros:
Fuck Heatran
Fuck Galarian Slowking
Can open up room for sweepers who are weak to Heatran and/or Galarian Slowking
Can snowball against chipped teams
It's fun to use idk

Cons:
I forgot air balloon Heatran exists
Thanks to intimidate, it gets walled by Landorus
The lack of flamethrower makes you vulnerable to Ferrothorn
You can't exactly nuke anything unless weakness policy activates
Even with seed bomb, Slowbro is a hard counter
It gets walled by flying types who aren't weak to rock, including other Celesteela

nature power tran.
does a few fun things and does its usual job worse. yay!
:ss/Heatran:
Heatran @ Expert Belt / Life Orb / Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Nature Power
- Magma Storm
- Stealth Rock / Taunt / Toxic
- Earth Power
ty to Smashburn for reminding me expert belt exists!
pair with fini for misty terrain to destroy cocky dragonite or garchomp switching in, grassy terrain for grounds or waters like slowbro or pert , or electric terrain for waters like bro and pelipper.
expert belt usually preferred for those sweet sweet OHKOs (LO hits even more OHKO's) making you not need prediction but lefties are always nice
252 SpA Expert Belt Heatran Nature Power (95 BP Fairy) vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Dragonite in Misty Terrain: 250-295 (64.9 - 76.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO(2hko bc the first hit breaks multiscale)
252 SpA Expert Belt Heatran Nature Power (95 BP Fairy) vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Dragapult in Misty Terrain: 317-374 (100 - 117.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Expert Belt Heatran Nature Power (95 BP Fairy) vs. 252 HP / 40 SpD Kommo-o in Misty Terrain: 461-542 (130.2 - 153.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Expert Belt Heatran Nature Power (90 BP Grass) vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Slowbro in Grassy Terrain: 367-434 (93.1 - 110.1%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO (OHKO's if running LO)
252 SpA Expert Belt Heatran Nature Power (90 BP Grass) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Swampert in Grassy Terrain: 475-562 (117.5 - 139.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Expert Belt Heatran Nature Power (90 BP Grass) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Gastrodon in Grassy Terrain: 504-595 (118.3 - 139.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Expert Belt Heatran Nature Power (90 BP Electric) vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Slowbro in Electric Terrain: 367-434 (93.1 - 110.1%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO(OHKO's if running LO)
252 SpA Expert Belt Heatran Nature Power (90 BP Electric) vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Pelipper in Electric Terrain: 816-960 (252.6 - 297.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Expert Belt Heatran Nature Power (90 BP Electric) vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Toxapex in Electric Terrain: 226-266 (74.3 - 87.5%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock (50% OHKO if running LO)
thats incredible

Hey fellas, first time posting here, started playing competitively a few months ago.
I am currently having fun with a team I built inspired by a team I saw around eject pack shell smash torkoal.
In their team, they shell smashes with torkoal to get their eject pack to activate, then go to Jolteon, who has a good speed tier to be able to Copycat, therefore Shell Smash. Then it would be faster than everything and with the right coverage and chip could sweep.

I was thinking, who else has got Copycat and could be fun to try this with?
Of course, Zoroark!
Zoroark has decent enough speed and better attacking stats to take advantage of the shell smash.
Of course, Zoroark is very frail, especially after smashing.
So this is of course where you pick the right mon to disguise as to scare the switch in into torkoal shell smashing.

This is a very inconsistent strat, but very enjoyable IMO :)HE
I've added even more heat elements to the team to have fun with it.
It features Helioisk as the sun scarfer, and AV Buzzwole as a mon that can tank almost everything, and has good coverage to hit back.
And a power herb fly lando. I am not sure why

Here is a little taste of how it looks:

How to Quickly Beat Rain with Sun

You're welcome to take a look at the team:
https://pokepast.es/45cd5c6521e9d358
1653917990944.png
1653918021165.png

Heliolisk @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Solar Power
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hyper Voice
- Dark Pulse
- Weather Ball

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Power Herb
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Fly

Torkoal @ Eject Pack
Ability: Drought
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Yawn
- Lava Plume
- Stealth Rock
- Shell Smash

Heatran @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 232 SpD / 24 Spe
Calm Nature
- Protect
- Magma Storm
- Toxic
- Earth Power

Zoroark @ Life Orb
Ability: Illusion
Timid Nature
- Copycat
- Dark Pulse
- Flamethrower
- Sludge Bomb

Buzzwole @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 HP / 56 Atk / 200 SpD
Careful Nature
- Drain Punch
- Leech Life
- Ice Punch
- Earthquake
Enjoy it out there!

Last edited:

Ehmcee

A Spoopy Ghost
is a Pre-Contributor
I was thinking, who else has got Copycat and could be fun to try this with?
Of course, Zoroark!
Zoroark has decent enough speed and better attacking stats to take advantage of the shell smash.
Of course, Zoroark is very frail, especially after smashing.
So this is of course where you pick the right mon to disguise as to scare the switch in into torkoal shell smashing.
Due to how frail Zoroark is, I've had decent success with copycat Sylveon, the speed and spa increase can be very threatening.

Something like Copycat/Hyper Voice/Mystical Fire/Stored Power or Psychic can be pretty threatening

Due to how frail Zoroark is, I've had decent success with copycat Sylveon, the speed and spa increase can be very threatening.

Something like Copycat/Hyper Voice/Mystical Fire/Stored Power or Psychic can be pretty threatening
Was going to mention something similar with other fringe Eeveelutions such as Leafeon and Espeon myself. Stuff like Zoroark is fairly gimmicky due to how frail and easy to expose it is, even after setting up. Copycat Shell Smash is already risky, so it requires a lot of dedicated support (i.e. Psychic Terrain, Weather, etc.). Jolteon is the most practical abuser of the strategy due to Electro Ball and its high speed tier, which allow it to wallbreak effectively apart from its other coverage moves. Volt Absorb also ensures you have an Electric-type immunity, condensing roles and freeing up your slots. Nonetheless, I think some cool stuff could probably be done with it still.

Credits to Down$hift btw.

Last edited:
Super Fang Nidoking!
:ss/nidoking:
Nidoking (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
Timid Nature
- Super Fang
- Taunt
- Ice Beam / Whirlpool
- Earth Power

I wanted something to lure Blissey and wondered if a trapper Nidoking set akin to Trapper Fini (with Whirlpool and Nature's Madness) might work. So, I've been trying out this Super Fang + Taunt set with some success, it's gotten 1700 and is climbing. The idea is you click Super Fang and then stop any special wall from healing with Taunt. Really strong against SpDef Ferrothorn, Blissey, and SpDef Corviknight, and eases the burden of prediction a ton allowing you to get anything to less than half health guaranteed. This thing is meant to be used early game to blow holes into defensive cores, allowing something else to come in later and sweep. I've been using it with Specs :dragapult: and CM :tapu fini: with some success. For instance here's a replay where Nidoking trapped Blissey allowing Fini to sweep late game. Whirlpool is used for the guaranteed kill against Blissey (and Glowking) but Ice Beam is better imo because it makes Nidoking more useful throughout the game.

Dead by Daylight

was a long and dark December
is a Pre-Contributor
I tried to make a decent Victini set, thoughts?

:swsh/victini: Victini @ Choice Band
Ability: Victory Star
EVs: 80 Atk / 44 Def / 132 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- V-create
- Bolt Strike
- U-turn
- Trick
---------------------------------
The moves are quite self-explanatory, it's just a normal CB Victini. However, what sets this set apart are the EVs. Here are what the EVs do:

80 Atk Choice Band Victini Bolt Strike vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Toxapex: 162-192 (53.2 - 63.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
80 Atk Choice Band Victini Bolt Strike vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Tornadus-Therian: 362-428 (100 - 118.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
80 Atk Choice Band Victini V-create vs. 248 HP / 168+ Def Corviknight: 470-554 (117.7 - 138.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 Atk Weavile Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 0 HP / 44 Def Victini: 288-338 (84.4 - 99.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Black Glasses Bisharp Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 44 Def Victini: 282-332 (82.6 - 97.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Hydreigon Dark Pulse vs. 0 HP / 132 SpD Victini: 224-266 (65.6 - 78%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 SpA Tapu Fini Scald vs. 0 HP / 132 SpD Victini: 146-174 (42.8 - 51%) -- 2.7% chance to 2HKO

Ground-Type Lure
:ss/slowbro-galar:
Lord Jenkins (Slowbro-Galar) @ Quick Claw
Ability: Quick Draw
EVs: 208 Def / 252 SpA / 48 Spe
Rash Nature
- Blizzard
- Flamethrower
- Grass Knot
- Side Shell Arm / Nasty Plot / Psychic

252 Atk Garchomp Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 208 Def Slowbro-Galar: 278-330 (83.9 - 99.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Slowbro-Galar Blizzard vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Garchomp: 500-592 (140 - 165.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ SpA Slowbro-Galar Blizzard vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Landorus-Therian: 364-432 (95.2 - 113%) -- 75% chance to OHKO
+2 252+ SpA Slowbro-Galar Grass Knot (60 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Gastrodon: 392-464 (92 - 108.9%) -- 50% chance to OHKO

Then just click regieleki volt switch.

Anti-Sweeper Moltres-G
:ss/moltres-galar:

Moltres-Galar @ Custap Berry
Ability: Berserk
Modest Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Endure
- Fiery Wrath
- Hurricane

Endure custap is kind cool because you the guaranteed berserk along with an unexpected speed boost for a turn. Some matchups like scarf fini, or offensive zapdos, you cannot afford to setup. Also good vs dragapult and all the flimsy ultrabeasts.

Gravity Hypnosis
:gengar:

Gengar @ Focus Sash
Ability: Cursed Body
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Hypnosis
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
:blacephalon:
Blacephalon @ Focus Sash
Timid Nature
- Hypnosis
- Expanding Force
- Shadow Ball
- Flamethrower

I've been running gravity + sticky webs teams and there's basically no counterplay to hypnosis sweepers. This probably qualifies as cheese, but that's why I play pokemon.
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1606721134-idt9vbq072fea4beztuwha66fyau370pw
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1605414947

Last edited:

Golurk @ Choice Band
Ability: No Guard / Iron Fist
EVs: 200 HP / 252 Atk / 56 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Poltergeist
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Close Combat / Thunder Punch

the EVs are made to outspeed clef and ttar

golurk is able to spam poltergeist and watch things die, because of how OP ghost stab is. it basically 2HKOes the entire tier outside of niche defensive spreads, which means that it can be paired with a slowtwin or urshifu and exploit many balance structures. i prefer no guard because i'm really paranoic of that 90% accuracy, but if you have a weavile or another knock off abuser in the back, you can instead use iron fist and 252 speed EVs to secure a 2hko on corvi with CB thunder punch and guarantee an OHKO on standard lando-T. another option is heat crash, which OHKOes any ferro set after stealth rock. it even has access to trick if you feel like cheesing a skarmory or something lol

I ran itemless pex early Isle of Armor OU. It was pretty nice for eating boosted STAB Knock Offs and taking on the occasional Poltergeist Marowak and +2 Crawdaunt. It does what you want it to especially since the damn thing ends up Knocked Off early a lot of the time anyway. But that said you lose Shed Shell / Rocky Helm / whatever so you are giving up a lot to get a single Knock Off damage reduction.

Anyway I didn't invent this set but I want to bring some awareness to it since this Pokemon is a fan favorite but people often use it the wrong way in OU.

1658360279575.png

Flygon @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 236 SpD / 20 Spe
Calm Nature
- Scorching Sands / Earth Power
- Defog
- Roost
- Toxic / Flamethrower

Flygon has been seen as a worse Garchomp ever since 4th gen, and offensively that's pretty much true even with Dragon Dance finally in its movepool. However Flygon does have Roost + Defog as well as a unique type combination paired with Levitate. Flygon is more resistant to entry hazards than almost every Pokemon in the game, being immune to Spikes, Tspikes, Sandstorm, and resistant to Stealth Rocks. This means unlike most other Defog mons it can evade chip damage without wasting time Roosting or by passing up its item for HDB. While Flygon doesn't have amazing stats it can become fairly bulky with investment especially against Heatran who many other Defoggers have issues with. Damage calcs here speak for themselves.

252 SpA Blacephalon Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 236+ SpD Flygon: 124-147 (34 - 40.3%) *Specs will 2HKO 87% of the time unfortunately.

252 SpA Choice Specs Blacephalon Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 236+ SpD Flygon: 127-150 (34.8 - 41.2%)

252+ Def Ferrothorn Body Press vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Flygon: 117-138 (32.1 - 37.9%)

252 SpA Heatran Magma Storm vs. 252 HP / 236+ SpD Flygon: 69-81 (18.9 - 22.2%) -- 73.1% chance to 4HKO

Landorus-Therian Earthquake vs. Levitate Flygon: 0-0 (0 - 0%)

252 Def Magnezone Body Press vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Flygon: 96-114 (26.3 - 31.3%)

252+ SpA Choice Specs Magnezone Flash Cannon vs. 252 HP / 236+ SpD Flygon: 181-214 (49.7 - 58.7%) *EVs guarantee you outrun it.

0 SpA Pelipper Scald vs. 252 HP / 236+ SpD Flygon in Rain: 106-126 (29.1 - 34.6%)

4 Atk Regieleki Rapid Spin vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Flygon: 44-52 (12 - 14.2%)

8 SpA Slowbro Scald vs. 252 HP / 236+ SpD Flygon: 75-88 (20.6 - 24.1%)

124 SpA Slowking-Galar Sludge Bomb vs. 252 HP / 236+ SpD Flygon: 50-59 (13.7 - 16.2%)

124 SpA Slowking-Galar Future Sight vs. 252 HP / 236+ SpD Flygon: 133-157 (36.5 - 43.1%)

0 SpA Tornadus-Therian Hurricane vs. 252 HP / 236+ SpD Flygon: 109-129 (29.9 - 35.4%)

252 Atk Victini V-create vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Flygon: 147-174 (40.3 - 47.8%)

252 SpA Volcanion Steam Eruption vs. 252 HP / 236+ SpD Flygon: 153-180 (42 - 49.4%)

252 SpA Volcarona Bug Buzz vs. 252 HP / 236+ SpD Flygon: 127-151 (34.8 - 41.4%)

0 SpA Zapdos Hurricane vs. 252 HP / 236+ SpD Flygon: 121-144 (33.2 - 39.5%)

252 Atk Zeraora Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Flygon: 142-168 (39 - 46.1%)

Keep in mind Flygon has 80 / 80 / 80 base defenses so it's far from being a wall. But it has the right typing and ability to match up well with several OU threats. It fits well on a team that needs a specific specially defensive Defogger that isn't weak to Heatran, Knock Off, or Tbolt spam. Obviously not every team needs this niche filled, but if you're looking for that hole filled Flygon is your guy.

Some additional set options: I have the speed set to 20 to outrun Magnezone, but you can add more to creep things like Tyranitar, Zapdos, Volcanion etc. However Flygon has low stats so you will feel the loss of bulk. Additionally Earth Power vs Scorching Sands comes down to killing power vs utility. Burning an Urshifu or Weavile switch in is exceptional but the power bonus from Earth Power is better at pressuring Pokemon like Bulk Up Zeraora. Flamethrower can be used over Toxic to pressure Ferrothorn and the occasional Skarmory but generally has fewer uses than Toxic. Lastly Earthquake and Careful nature can be used for the maximum raw power (especially against Slowking) at the cost of fearing burns and being a tiny bit worse against Iron Defense Magnezone.

Overall it's a cool way to use Flygon. Certainly not the best thing ever but if it was I wouldn't be posting it in the Heat thread now would I.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure I'm not the first one to come up with this dude. However, I'd like to shed some light on it: Focus sash Flame Charge Blacephalon.

:ss/Blacephalon:

Blacephalon @ Focus Sash
Level: 100
Naive Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Psyshock
- Fire Blast
- Flame Charge

Blace often does not know what to do with its third and fourth moveslots. Flame Charge allows it to revenge kill weakened Pokémon during mid-and lategame while the unsuspecting opponent thinks themselves safe with a Tornadus/Dragapult/Tapu Koko/Zeraora/Scarf Tapu Lele in the back to revenge kill. Except not. Gaining +1 SpA and +1 Spe in a singe turn while putting up a KO is extreme turn efficiency. The Focus Sash behind often means KOing someone else and nabbing another +1 SpA in the process. Most teams have only 1 Pokémon (if any) to handle a spiralling Blacephalon, rarely two. Especially when it's not choice locked.

Replays (from a bad team played by a bad player, please be magnanimous):
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1632883973
The game is over once the last Fire Blast does not miss.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1632919245-5xgxwznwa6umgcqsii4vrqn7ngiz08zpw
The focus sash would have ensured an unfavorable speed tie versus an opposing Scarf Blacephalon would have meant a victory anyway.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1632933200
Both techs turn out to be clutch in combination: the focus sash allows Blace to 2HKO Zeraora, while Flame Charge ensure it then outspeeds the remaining Kartana.

Not sure if anyone else has posted any SubSword Glastrier sets, but I’ve been having a lot of fun in Blitz with this specific one I’ve made.

:Glastrier:
Glastrier @ Leftovers
Ability: Chilling Neigh
EVs: 252 HP / 112 Atk / 52 Def / 92 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Swords Dance / Taunt
- Icicle Crash
- High Horsepower / Close Combat
252 HP for making durable Substitutes that aren’t taken down with one Seismic Toss (and to give extra bulk ofc).

112 Atk + Adamant Nature give it a massive base Attack stat to immediately start nuking stuff.

52 Def allows it and its Substitute to take more neutral and super effective hits.

92 Spe allows it to outspeed walls and offensive threats such as Toxapex, Quagsire, Gastrodon, Ferrothorn, Hippowdon, the Slowtwins and Melmetal so it can save itself from Status or Knock Off with Substitute, or simply just set up a Swords Dance and take out Pex with High Horsepower before it can Haze its way out of dying.
Leftovers is the ideal item on this set as Glastrier’s bulk + Substitute allows it to heal up alot of health passively against weaker threats and defensive mons.

Substitute allows Glastrier to avoid crippling status such as Toxic and Burn while also giving it a cushion to avoid taking a direct hit from mons like Heatran, Urshifu, Nidoking and Buzzwole.

Swords Dance allows it to start wallbreaking quicker, but since Chilling Neigh gives its already massive Attack a boost for every kill anyway, Taunt is a great option that can easily stallbreak by shutting down recovery and other status moves and beating Toxapex, Quagsire, Gastrodon, Clefable, Defog Corviknight, the Slowtwins and Hippowdon.

Icicle Crash serves as your main STAB that also has an added Flinch chance for taking away vital turns from slower walls and tanks.

High Horsepower is extremely important for taking down threats such as Heatran, Melmetal, Blacephalon, Magnezone, Slowking-G, Zeraora, Volcarona and Volcanion while also preserving bulk to avoid being easily forced out, but Close Combat can be used if killing Melmetal, Tyranitar, Kartana and Ferrothorn as quickly as possible is important to you. CC also provides a nice neutral move to hit Rotom-W and Corviknight with despite providing Volcarona with a free switchin.
0 Atk Dragonite Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 52 Def Glastrier: 71-84 (17.5 - 20.7%) -- possible 7HKO after Leftovers recovery

52+ Atk Dragonite Dual Wingbeat (2 hits) vs. 252 HP / 52 Def Glastrier: 98-116 (24.2 - 28.7%) -- approx. possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Dragonite Dual Wingbeat (2 hits) vs. 252 HP / 52 Def Glastrier: 102-122 (25.2 - 30.1%) -- approx. 0.1% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

0 Atk Quagsire Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 52 Def Glastrier: 73-87 (18 - 21.5%) -- possible 7HKO after Leftovers recovery

0 SpA Quagsire Scald vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Glastrier: 57-67 (14.1 - 16.5%) -- possibly the worst move ever

0 SpA Toxapex Scald vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Glastrier: 49-58 (12.1 - 14.3%) -- possibly the worst move ever

0 SpA Gastrodon Scald vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Glastrier: 75-88 (18.5 - 21.7%) -- possible 7HKO after Leftovers recovery

0 SpA Clefable Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Glastrier: 91-108 (22.5 - 26.7%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery

0 SpA Heatran Magma Storm vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Glastrier: 252-296 (62.3 - 73.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery and trapping damage

+2 112+ Atk Glastrier Icicle Crash vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Multiscale Dragonite: 450-530 (116.5 - 137.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

112+ Atk Glastrier Icicle Crash vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Quagsire: 121-144 (30.7 - 36.5%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

+2 112+ Atk Glastrier Icicle Crash vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Gastrodon: 276-325 (64.7 - 76.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+2 112+ Atk Glastrier High Horsepower vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Toxapex: 240-284 (78.9 - 93.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+2 112+ Atk Glastrier Icicle Crash vs. 252 HP / 200 Def Clefable: 306-361 (77.6 - 91.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

+2 112+ Atk Glastrier Icicle Crash vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Blissey: 546-643 (76.4 - 90%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

112+ Atk Glastrier High Horsepower vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 428-508 (110.8 - 131.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+2 112+ Atk Glastrier High Horsepower vs. 40 HP / 0 Def Melmetal: 328-388 (77.9 - 92.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+2 112+ Atk Glastrier Close Combat vs. 40 HP / 0 Def Melmetal: 416-490 (98.8 - 116.3%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO

+2 112+ Atk Glastrier Icicle Crash vs. 252 HP / 168+ Def Corviknight: 225-265 (56.2 - 66.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
Immediately OHKOing both (Gunk Shot? Why?) Toxapex and Tornadus-T behind Sub
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8oublitz-1632259388

2HKOs Ferrothorn, OHKOs Vanilluxe afterwards
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8oublitz-1629553778

Survives two Volt Switches in a row from Regieleki and Tapu Koko, proceeds to 2HKO Grimmsnarl
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8oublitz-1629358411

OHKOs Salamence after escaping Encore, then chips down a poorly played Demon Mew to OHKO range, allowing for a Urshifu sweep.
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8oublitz-1628932172

Takes down Corviknight easily despite the team losing in the end to a Venusaur sweep
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8oublitz-1624398256

Honestly nothing to really consider for anything ultra-competitive cause of my limited use of it, but for something bulky that can take on a lot of Weavile’s checks well along with being a nice Stallbreaker, Glastrier seems pretty decent imo

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)