Pokémon Heliolisk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Typhlito

One Active Dawg
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Pretty sure you'll never, ever be faster than mGengar though, unless you're scarfed. Heliolisk really can't do much when Mgengar switches in on it for a revenge kill, except pray that Focus Blast will miss.
another good reason to have a sub handy lol. But that mGengar is fairly bulky. dunno if it can it 0hko it with dark pulse

what about this on him

Heliolisk
ability dry skin
trait:modest
evs 252spA/252 speed/4hp
-voltswitch
-surf
-thunder
-grass knot/hp ice/focus blast

like mentioned earlier this is the spA version of toxicroak on a rain team
having both on one team is a blessing

I noticed something lately that might make him way more viable in doubles: the new trend. It seems that the more complex pokemon gets, the more gimmicky the teams. Just about everyone in doubles, including me, is using some really complex set that ties together perfectly. Things are getting real uneasy and unbalanced in doubles, and I think heliolisk can utilize it
EDIT: Since people wanted me to add info, here;
Heliolisk with and parabolic charge goes well in doubles with volt absorb lantern with surf in theory, but I found it doesn't work without discharge or that other poster's theory of using soak

Last edited:
Well, it has decent special defense, but doesn't really have the HP to be much of a wall even with heal. If you're going to try to tank things on the special side, perhaps try using Charge alongside parabolic. You'd be surprised at the difference the special defense boost can make.

this set has maybe been posted but
Heliolisk @ Life orb
Ability Dry Skin
Timid
252spatck/252spd
Surf
Thunder
Focus Blast
Substitute
This thing is an absolute monster! With a little bit of drizzle support it can easily sweep unprepared teams/ teams where their spdef wall is gone. His water immunity is amazing, letting him instantly get some health while threatening any water type. He has so many opportunities to sub up. He can freely switch into almost every Rotom W set and sub on the volt switch/switch with sub intact no problem and he can outspeed and kill Galvantula before it can get up sticky web if sash is broken.

So thunder is obvious, and extremely powerful with rain up and life orb. Focus blast is for ferrothorn and some other random pokes that resist water and electric, and surf is the cherry on top! Not too many people have seen it coming, so they switch in their ground type to get OKHO'd by a rain boosted surf. He is really fast and hits really hard and is immune to shadow sneak and aqua jet, allowing him to set up on Aegislash and Azumarill with some subs since Aegi will need to go back into shield form fearing anything and Azumarill fears the electric type attack. With the right support this man is a threat.

Heliolisk
Sand Veil/Dry Skin
Modest / Timid
252:Sp.A/252:Spe
Glare [--att./100acc./30pp]
Volt Switch [70att./100acc./20pp]
Dark Pulse [80att./100acc./15pp]
Swagger [--att./90acc./15pp]

I was looking as this little lizard and noticed it got Glare as an egg move. So I started filtering through more of it and saw it can be quite the jerk. Swagger is optional for any preferred attack or Sub.

Some kind of Electrify/Toxic set with lefties and Dry Skin could be interesting. Very gimmicky, but kinda cool. Toxic turn one, spam Electrify. You take the unSTABed resisted hits and heal 18.75% per turn. All the while, Toxic racks up. Of course, they can just switch out, but it's still kind of interesting. Might find a place in doubles though.

Hmm, looking at Helio's considerable Speed stat, why wouldn't Solar Power + Parabolic Charge be a better route?
Unless I missed something.
Does higher power on a draining move = more HP recovered?

Hmm, looking at Helio's considerable Speed stat, why wouldn't Solar Power + Parabolic Charge be a better route?
Unless I missed something.
Does higher power on a draining move = more HP recovered?
With the kind of bulk it's sporting, Heliolisk needs to net KOs when it's out. It wouldn't survive even with the healing from Parabolic Charge. Volt Switch with Solar Power seems nice though as Heliolist wouldn't stay out and lose HP, but still hit hard.

With the kind of bulk it's sporting, Heliolisk needs to net KOs when it's out. It wouldn't survive even with the healing from Parabolic Charge. Volt Switch with Solar Power seems nice though as Heliolist wouldn't stay out and lose HP, but still hit hard.
True. So, with these defenses, is it safe to say Heliolisk is a less than viable Glass Cannon?

I've been running Heliolisk to spam Thunderwaves. Klefki's prankster is nice but can it wall Jolteon? Can it also see why kids love the taste of cinnamon toast crunch?

Heliolisk isn't a monster but is definitely an inconsistent pokemon. I've been using it to "throw off" the enemy considering they have no idea if I am using Dry Skin or not. Teamed up with Protean Greninja is heavily devastating.

True. So, with these defenses, is it safe to say Heliolisk is a less than viable Glass Cannon?
It's a very viable glass cannon. It makes up for poor defenses by just having outright immunities to important priority attacks (Shadow Sneak and Aqua Jet) which allows it to come on on a surprising amount of things. Well, assuming it has Dry Skin. Solar Power Heliolisk is a real risky glass cannon.

It works well as a special wall in my rain team with assault vest since it doesn't lose out on recovery because of dry skin

With the rise of Ghosts and popularity of bulky waters in OU, do you think this Pokemon could fill a niche in OU, being immune to Water and Ghost thanks to its typing and Dry Skin ability?

Gonna breed for an HP Ice Heliolisk very soon and I'm very excited to try this little guy out. Now that we know Klefki gets Switcheroo, would it be a great teammate to Heliolisk? I was thinking about running a Klefki with Rain Dance + Damp Rock, and using Switcheroo on your opponent for free rain turns and hopefully getting an item that will compliment Klefki in return. The only thing about this is that they're both weak to ground...

Scratch that... don't see a point in HP Ice. Gonna go with this set now:

Heliolisk @ Life Orb
ability dry skin
trait: Timid
evs 252spA/252 speed/4hp
-Volt Switch
-Surf
-Thunder
-Focus Blast

Thunder hits Aegislash harder than Dark Pulse does by a bit, so I also didn't see a point in that. Focus Blast OHKO's fully Invested T-Tar, Abomasnow after SR, and Thunder OHKO's M-Charizard Y, making Dry Skin Heliolisk able to win any weather war unless the moves miss.

Scratch that... don't see a point in HP Ice. Gonna go with this set now:

Heliolisk @ Life Orb
ability dry skin
trait: Timid
evs 252spA/252 speed/4hp
-Volt Switch
-Surf
-Thunder
-Focus Blast

Thunder hits Aegislash harder than Dark Pulse does by a bit, so I also didn't see a point in that. Focus Blast OHKO's fully Invested T-Tar, Abomasnow after SR, and Thunder OHKO's M-Charizard Y, making Dry Skin Heliolisk able to win any weather war unless the moves miss.
Vs. Sdef Hippo.

Good Game, bro,

I've been running a mono-normal team, and I've been doing extremely well. Dry Skin Heliolisk pairs up really well with Pyroar. I've been running Assault Vest on Helio. Life Orb might be best if you plan on rain support, but since I don't use rain, the +1 SpD from Assault Vest helps it take on most special attackers.

No matter what you run, you will be stopped cold by something. Without Focus Miss, Ferrothorn stomps you, and most Dragons laugh off your attacks. I hate Focus Miss, though. I run Dark Pulse, and I'm quite content to have a good check to all the Ghosts running around. Without Dark Pulse, most ghosts set up in your face. Flinch chance is kind of a "Hail Mary," too.

I run Modest, max speed, max special attack. You can't outrun base 100s with max Timid, which sucks, but the extra power is required, or else Heliolisk is dead weight. Again, Timid Life Orb might be better overall. You won't be able to take ANY hits, though.

Heliolisk @ Assault Vest
Modest 252 SpA, 252 Spd, 6 Def
Volt Switch
Surf
Grass Knot
Dark Pulse

Last edited:
Just so you know Quality Check did reject Heliolisk's OU analysis. While I don't think there's any use for it in OU with other much better options like thunderus-i, mega manteric, and mega amphardos available, it might compete with jolteon in UU, especially if rain continues to dominate the meta.

Last edited:
Why did quality check reject the analysis? Some people might happen to like Heliolisk, or their team might fit better with it for some weird reason (Ghost + Water immunity, maybe?). It's not like there's an official UU yet, so analyses couldn't fit that adequately.

Heliolisk isn't anything like the other Electrics. It shares a STAB, but its speed tier, type coverage and resists are all different.

w/e

Typhlito

One Active Dawg
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
It worked in ou when I used it because of its niches but with water types being less common (talon keeping keldeo away and the azu belly jet being less common) its not as effective as it was earlier in the gen but I could see it being uu with politoed or at the very least least ru since its a great pokemon when played by its strengths.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)