Helios Offense

Introduction​
Hallo, i'm a relatively new player, just started playing pokemon competitively a month ago.
The goal of this team, as with most offensive team, is to counter opposing threats while keeping up pressure of my own.

The Team

Sunnies (Ninetales) @ Leftovers
Trait: Drought
EVs: 248 HP / 16 Def / 8 SAtk / 220 SDef / 16 Spd
Calm Nature
- Roar
- Will-O-Wisp
- Flamethrower
- Sunny Day

Wouldn't be much of a sun team without the harbinger of the sun would it?
I run ninetales with the assumption that, overwhelmingly, its use involves leading, or switching in to induce a sunny day. This, in turn, usually boils down to switching in on politoed, hippodown (tyranitar has a nasty habit of KOing), and in rare cases abamosnow.
Accordingly, it's bulky, enough that under the rain, scald and hydro pump do not threaten the 2HKO.
Roar serves to phaze setup sweepers and substitute attackers that are often used as leads against sun teams.
Will-O-Wisp is a good tool for crippling opposing pokemon, or even just placing some damage on them. Dragon dancers can often be burned and then roared out, and burning opposing weather inducers on the switch in makes it much more difficult for them to keep coming back.
Flamethrower is simply a good stab. I don't expect ninetales to do big damage, so a solid option for that one forretress, scizor, or jirachi is superior to fireblast's lower accuracy.
Sunny Day helps me keep the sun up, and win wars with politoed.

Quivers (Volcarona) @ Lum Berry
Trait: Flame Body
EVs: 128 HP / 142 Def / 96 SAtk / 144 Spd
Modest Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Fiery Dance
- Bug Buzz
- Roost

Ah Volcarona, perhaps the most terrifying sweeper in existence. Many people seem to discount Volcarona's ability to shrug off hits. With these defense and HP EVs, Volcarona safely escapes the possibility of priority revenge kill. After quiver dance, Volcarona becomes extremely specially bulky. It laughs at starmie's hydro pump or rotom-w's scald under the sun. Speed is mostly unescessary, as a single quiver dance has you outspeeding the entire normal metagame, 2 has you outspeeding the choice-scarfs.
Quiver dance is the reason volcarona is good. Even one quiver dance can set you up for a 2HKO for most pokemon.
Fiery dance- guarenteed accuracy and a chance for more boosts make this a solid stab that burns through most threats
Bug buzz- complements fiery dance nicely, making dragon-flying types the only truly irritating ones to deal with.
Roost- I firmly believe that roost is necessary on this set, and makes volcarona much easier to set up. While some would suggest substitute, roost is superior in most scenarios. It is much easier to set up in a random water type's face when your method of "recovering" hp actually recovers hp. In addition, you can stall out some physical attackers until flame body burns and cripples them.

Pudsy (Venusaur) @ Life Orb
Trait: Chlorophyll
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Sleep Powder
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Growth

Venusaur acts here, essentially, as Volcarona 2. It is a secondary "quick setup" sweeper (by which i mean it requires relatively few turns to become dangerous). I considered making venusaur a physical sweeper, but decided that the only special walls capable of dealing with it (chansey and blissey) are utterly unable to cope with it (toxic does nothing, seismic toss does not matter in the face of +4 giga drains).
Growth- what makes venusaur the titan he is. With chlorophyll boost, you have essentially shell smashed without the defense drop.
Sleep Powder allows for a free turn to setup 75% of the time, as well as decommissioning one of their pokemon. Though the misses chafe, 160 base speed sleep is just too good to pass up
Giga Drain is my stab of choice for 2 main reasons. 1: Health recovery. Life orb damage adds up over time, priority damage adds up over time. Damage Damage adds up over time. Giga Drain allows Venusaur to simply continue the sweep in most situations. 2: Solar Beam is not reliable. I don't care if this is a sun team, it could start hailing, or snowing, or sandstorming, and then you essentially lose your main stab. this is unacceptable in already tricky situations that come with facing down teams like rainstall.
HP Fire patches up most of the weaknesses in Venusaur's coverage (aka steel types), and the boost it gets from sun isn't shabby

POWERBALL (Forretress) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 240 HP / 8 Atk / 220 Def / 40 SAtk
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Gyro Ball
- Rapid Spin
- Volt Switch

Now, with a sun team, it was quickly becoming apparent that we are horrendously weak to stealth rocks. More accurately, Volcarona is.... awful against them. So i needed a rapid spinner. Additionally, both my setup sweepers have trouble with dragon flying types, and both of them are hit really hard by outrage. So, i found myself in need of the defensive pivot that is forretress. My forretress is here essentially to tank really hard physical blows, and to spin away hazards. Spikes are unescessary, and even harmful considering the amount of downtime a team with 2 setup sweepers (even though both only really need one turn) generate.
HP Ice serves as an "outrage me breeeh" dare. Coming in to KO salamence, garchomp, and dragonite is perhaps forretress's most valuable role, even more common that spinning away stealth rocks.
Rapid Spin gets rid of pesky stealth rocks that get in the way of such good fun as "i quiver danced volcarona twice haha i win".
Gyro Ball is the stab of choice, and hits suprisingly hard. Gyro ball allows you to win fights with tyranitar, terrakion (especially if he close combats), etc.
Volt switch allows you to maintain some momentum, especially when predicting they'll switch to another pokemon anyway. You could possibly run spikes here, but they just don't fit with this team's extremely offensive playstyle.

WtfIsThis (Kyurem-Black) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Teravolt
EVs: 84 Atk / 208 SAtk / 216 Spd
Hasty Nature
- Ice Beam
- Fusion Bolt
- Outrage
- Earth Power

From magical christmas land! From "we have an answer for your problems" ville! From "man, what is that even supposed to be anyway?" town! It's Kyurem-B, the pokemon with ridiculous base stats that i abuse! His, as it were, freaking ridonculous, 170 base atk means that running a mixed set doesn't even put his outrage below that of something like max attack dragonite. While it may seem strange running a mixed set, his SAtk is actually very respectable, 120 to volcarona's 135.
By running a scarfed, mixed set, we have what is essentially a hardcounter to everything my team had problems with before. While forretress is a decent counter to dragons, it lacks any special bulk, or real threat of damage on switch-ins, and is therefore relegated to absorbing predicted outrages. Kyurem-B, however, serves to OHKO anything from Dragonite to Garchomp to Tornadus-T with ice beam preemptively, and also serves as an extremely effective lead against most rain teams and some sand teams.

Ice beam OHKOs most ground types, especially considering most (all of the ones in the meta) of them are specially squishy. Of course, every dragon and flyer gets OHKO'd also.
Fusion Bolt serves as a massive physical electric STAB. Which is funny, because those pesky water types are usually squishier on the physical side.
Earth Power covers most things my stabs dont (cough steel types cough)
Outrage makes sure that kyurem never occupies a dead slot, because in the absence of threats my other pokemon can't really deal with, i just press the button and watch a bunch of hp disappear on my opponents.

Now, i feel a comparison must be made to a choice scarfed physical kyurem with dragon claw in place of ice beam, and something random in place of earth power. First off, while you benefit from guaranteed OHKO of even the bulkiest of bulky politoeds, that is your only benefit. Every other poke is dealt with equally well by mixed. You lose all the coverage that ice and ground bring for the ability to one-shot politoed, who, in all honestly, won't take a fusion bolt in high level play. In this team, Kyurem's role, as a threat counter, is much better served by a mixed set

Angry (Terrakion) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge

Terrakion serves a similar role as Kyurem, dealing with the variety of threats that can still be annoying, like shell smashing cloyster, and rounding out the team. It is also fantastic at cleaning up weakened teams, a very effective lead against sand teams, and a good stealth rock user. Originally, i had this as a choice scarf, however, i felt like my team was too constricting with 2 choice scarf users. In addition, Terrakion's 4th moveslot lacks a really good move (earthquake is pretty much redundant coverage) if i'm choiced. Focus sash provides a similar effect (i get at least one hit in after all, which is all i need on the threats i'm switching in on) while allowing me to utilize terrakion's full diversity to deal massive damage. Also, at higher levels of play, i can bluff a scarf set against pokemon already slower than terrakion, then come in with "suprise tyranitar, close combat B*****"

Close Combat- Stab 1, does very very very high damage.
Stone edge- stab 2, does very high damage, super ultra kills enemy volcarona. yaaaay
Taunt- prevents entry hazards altogether from something i can't just OHKO like ferrothorn or forretress
Stealth rocks- good to toss up when possible.

Hey Stillex,

Great team, really liking this new take on Sun Offense. Refreshing, considering how rampant rain has become in the meta. As for nitpicks, a few minor things:

1. Consider running a Timid Venusaur. It seems almost frivolous to make it even faster, but the last thing you need while rampaging through a team is to be revenged by a bitter Scarf Lati@s or (God forbid) Scarfmie. With Life Orb and Growth, you're still decently powerful, and you don't miss out on any notable KO's as far as I can remember.
2. Also possibly consider running Sunny Day on Ninetales. As it stands, Ninetales is the fastest weather inducer in the game, so it will always have the disadvantage if up against a slower starter. Running Sunny Day keeps momentum in your hands (if there's a weather war) and allows you to force their starter out, giving you a chance to use Roar (to scout the switch in) or Will-o-Wisp (to burn the switch-in).
3. SashRakion really appreciates Taunt, especially if you decide to lead with him. His speed allows him to shut down Deoxys-D or Jirachi or most other hazard setters. I know you have Forretress to clean up hazards, but it can easily be worn down, especially if it's taking tons of Outrages and whatnot. An extra layer of insurance is always helpful, and you don't lose too much without X-Scissor.

Great team again, and I hope to have helped! Good luck.

Changes:
Venusaur: Modest -> Timid, 48 HP / 252 SAtk / 204 Spd
Ninetales: Energy Ball -> Sunny Day
Terrakion: X-Scissor -> Taunt

Hi, there

Good Team, known only threat a fairly large, you have 5 Pokemon that are perfectly stalled by SDef Heatran, or Ninetales, Venusaur, Kyurem-B, Forretress, the only one who can kill Heatran is Terrakion, but has as its main aim is to put Stealth Rock and create pressure on Tyranitar. Dugtrio does the same thing, more traps Heatran and Tyranitar and kills them, then I would say Dugtrio> Terrakion, which places the Stealth Rock as does Terrakion, puts pressure on Tyranitar (actually kills him directly), Focus Sash can also give it also to Dugtrio. In addition, Dugtrio freeing you from Tyranitar, takes away the Sandstorm making you keep the Sun throughout the battle.
You can also use Memento of Dugtrio, another major move, that the Sweeper round opponent for example Rock Polish Landorus that is a great threat, you can use Memento, for decrease statistics and to enter or Volcarona and Venusaur who would use their Growth and Quiever Dance with more confidence.

The second thing is to change the nature and evs to Venusaur because with those who currently is outpaced by Scarf Latios and killed by his Psyshock, so the first tip is to include this spread Evs: 180 Spd / 252 SAtk / 72 HP Timid Nature, thus bypassing Latios in speed, you have the maximum evs in special attack and the rest in HP. Second thing I would change for Sludge Bomb Sleep Powder, so just hit Latios that creates problems, Sleep Powder also has very little accuracy, if you go wrong, you risk losing Venusaur, which as you say is very important for the team.

Set
Dugtrio (F) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Arena Trap
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Reversal
- Memento

180 Spd / 252 SAtk / 72 HP with Timid nature (for Venusaur)

Hi man,

Cool team you have here! I have no so much to say about this team anyway let's start with the rate!

First of all, your team has a big weakness to Rock Polish Landorus. It can setup on Ninetales and Forretress (it resists to Forretress' Hidden Power Ice) and then can sweep your team. Also, you haven't switch into it so when Landorus attacks, it'll KO one your pokèmon. To solve this weakness, I'd use Choice Scarf Latias, replacing Kyurem-B as revenge-kill. Latias is a good revenge-killer too and it can also resist to Landorus' attacks and KO it back with Draco Meteor. I will post Latias' set below in this rate. Then, on Ninetales I'd use Sunny Day, replacing Energy ball. It isn't very useful because it's a very very weak move. Sunny Day otherwise is useful to win more easily the weather war because it make pointless the switch-in of Tyranitar, Hippowdon and Politoed so they will switch again and take damages from Stealth Rock without have any advantage. Finally, I'd change X-Scissor into Sword Dance on Terrakion. This team hasn't problem against Celebi and the other grass-types so X-Scissor is quite a useless move, Sword Dance otherwise allows Terrakion to become a very good stall-breaker and it's simple better than X-Scissor in this team. If you don't like Sword Dance you can use Taunt too, it's fine because Forretress isn't a very good Rapid Spin user and Stealth Rock is problematic for your team.

Anyways, here's the set you should use:

Latias (F) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Trick

Good luck!

Hi there,

Nice sun team you have there. At first glance, from what I see, this team is quite weak to Heatran, which is a quality for many sun teams, so I will base my rate, mostly, off that. Also, I can see fast, hard hitting Choice Scarf users being a problem for your team, as well. First off, I can't see your Forretress accomplishing much of anything with its current set. Its primary purpose in the current metagame is to lay down Spikes or other entry hazards and yours does not do that. There are a few options to remedy this: 1. You can put Spikes over Hidden Power Ice / Gyro Ball. or 2. Replace Forretress with a more offensive spinner such as Donphan. Donphan, unlike Forretress, can threaten any Heatran with a STAB Earthquake and Forretress can't really touch Heatran to begin with. Next, I recommend a Timid Nature with the EV spread of 80 HP / 252 SAtk / 176 Spd and Sludge Bomb > Sleep Powder on Venusaur. With this new EV spread and nature, Venusaur can outspeed all relevant Choice Scarf users such as: Terrakion, Keldeo, and Latios, and become a tad bulkier as a plus. While you lose the ability to put status on an opponent's Pokemon, the gaining of a more volatile moveset, being able to hit dragons like Dragonite which would ultimately be able to set up on you or hit you with a Fire Punch. Back to the Heatran issue, you can run Earth Power > HP Fire on Kyu-B. This change won't affect Kyu-B all that much because the team hits hard with Fire type moves already with Ninetales, Venusaur, and Volcarona. With Earth Power, as previous stated, can hit Heatran, as well as other steel types such as Jirachi, Metagross, Magnezone and others for super effective damage.

Forretress
Hidden Power Ice / Gyro Ball --> Spikes

or

Donphan (F) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
- Head Smash
- Rapid Spin

Venusaur
Modest --> Timid
EV Spread: 80 HP / 252 SAtk / 176 Spd
Sleep Powder --> Sludge Bomb

Kyurem-B
Hidden Power Fire --> Earth Power

With these changes said, great team and good luck!

Neliel

Sacred Sword
Hi there

I see a pretty big weakness to Heatran. Heatran is one the most common problem for a sun team, because thanks to its ability it can absorb your attacks and become very dangerous. Ninetales cant touch it, Venusaur can put it asleep, but its only a question of time that it will wake up and then it kos you with a fire move. Kyurem struggles to do anything serious, outrage is resisted, forretress will just die by a lava plume, and Volcarona cant touch it while Heatran can phaze it or toxic it. Terrakion is your only answer to it, but everyone will just switch to something else so you cant really damage it. As other raters already said, you also lack of any ground resistor, and it goes without saying that Mamoswine, Landorus and other ground types are a problem for you. Mamoswine also has a strong ice shard that can revenge kill your venusaur regardless, an overall good bulkyness to take a flametrower from ninetales and kos with earthquake (its ability, thick fat, will half the power of fire moves) it its jolly it can even outspeed Volcarona, Kyurem and Terrakion can beat it but cant switch out on it. Forretress can handle hit, but still it takes many damage from Lo earthquake, with some prior damages its 2koed. Landorus in other hand, with just stealth rock support and rock polish, can shuts down your whole team no matter what.

Now, the first thing i would do to fix this weaknesses is to change Kyurem, which is good and all, but it doesnt really do anything for this team. Its speed stat is not the best, and its typing doesnt help with the sinergy of this team. Instead of it i would suggest an Air ballon Heatran with Fire Blast / Earth power / Hidden power ice. In the 4th slot you can experiment what you prefer. You can try Sunny day, which in conjunction with Magma storm as your fire stab can trap things like Politoed, setup then sun, so that you can win the weather war easily. If it doent fit you, you can try Flame charge as your filler move, so that once you have the sun up you can try to sweep. Anyway, Heatran with Earth power generally counters specially defensive version of Heatran, which is the most common version you will see nowadays. Heatran isnt even that bad overall, it has an high special attack so that it can spam strong fire blast to weaken your opponent. Hidden power ice is your preferred move of coverage, which also kos any dragon locked into outrage. Also, the air baloon helps a little agianst ground types, for sure Landorus can still focus blast on you and Mamoswine jolly can have superpower, but at least you have an immunity to ground so that you can switch in on other threats like Hippodown or donphan. Ill try to fix better the weakness against Mamoswine and landorus later anyway.

Now, i would honestly change forretress. Since you ahve now heatran, you dont need anymore forretress as your steel type, since Heatran beats Dragons like Salamence or Dragonite and its an overall better switch-in to Latios and Latias. What i think fits here is Donphan. The set i would use is the standard one, with Ice shard / Earthquake / Rapid spin / Stealth rock. Since ill change the set of terrakion, i put the sr on donphan. Donphan can support your team with his weak ice shard, which is still enough to do serious damage to Landorus and dragons, and its also a nice pokemon against Scarf Terrakion, which is a threath for this team. Donphan also gives you an another pokemon to beat Special defensive Heatran, unless they burn you with Lava plume.

Now, since i removed your scarfed pokemon as well as your stealth rocker, its clear that your Terrakion should be Scarf now. Terrakion is a way better scarfer thanks to its higher speed, and it functions pretty well in any weather. This is something that any revenge killer should be able to do, you cant always rely on Venusaur to outspeed stuff. Its coverage is good to hit anything in the tier and its still enough powerfull to ko things. This helps you because your team isnt really fast, the only fast thing here is Venusaur but if theres no sun up a pletora of things can outspeed your whole team and damage it.

Now, to give something else to beat Mamoswine, i would simply put some other evs in speed on Volcarona to outspeed mamoswine and kill it. I will also change your spread completely, since i dont see the point of not maxing the Hp first. this evs should work, try it : EVs: 248 HP / 64 Def / 196 Spd

I think you should also take in account sunny day over energy ball. Energy ball is pretty much an useless move, only hitting gastrodon, and while energy ball hits supereffectively politoed and tyranitar, you have a bigger advantage if you put the sun up again while they switch in. Also, use timid Venusaur as the other raters already said.
Thats it i guess, i hope i helped somewhat.

Kyurem-b-->
(Heatran) @ Air Balloon
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast / Magma storm
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Earth Power
- Flame Charge / Sunny day

Forretress-->
(Donphan) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Ice Shard
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Rapid Spin

sash terrakion --> Angry (Terrakion) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Rock Slide
- X-Scissor
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge

your current spread--> EVs: 248 HP / 64 Def / 196 Spd

energy ball--> Sunny day

ninetails energy ball -> sunny day. yeah that was pretty obvious
venusaur -> timid. again, it's just better.
terrakion x-scissor-> taunt. to be honest, i'm quite suprised by terrakion's damage. i'd originally included this with alakazam and latios in mind, but stone edge works just fine
kyurem b HP fire -> earth power. way better for the purpose, didn't know he could learn it

all valid changes

regarding dutrio vs. terrakion. While dugtrio succesfully kills tyranitar on a lead in, and heatran on the switch, these are only 2 pokemon. Dugtrio is a terribly squishy, and in, worse, not particularly good in the offense department. I would rather have a terrakion against anything from a shell smashing cloyster, to a ddnite, to any number of threats.
I decided that a specialized counter to 2 pokemon, one of which i can already deal with, isn't particularly great. especially considering that dugtrio only counters either of them after i let something die, and is otherwise kinda useless.
terrakion is a solid counter (though not as good as a full health dugtrio) (way better than a non-full health one though) 2 both those threats, while diversifying what i can deal with easily.

regarding heatran- most people these days seem to be running special heatran, which is why i wasnt partiiicularly worried about him. Volcarona can tank purely special sets with a combo of quiver dances and roosts. Terrakion also OHKOs with close combat.
however, a phazing toxic heatrans presents a much larger problem... added earth power to kyurem, considering hp earth on venusaur

thinking about replacing kyurem-B, but it's just so nice as a lead against rain teams T.T. Will have to test that out.

@ funk regarding forretress not having spikes. His job is to patch up my weakness to outrage. I cannot afford to give a bunch of unresisted outrages to an opponent. Forretress is acting as a defensive pivot here, not as an entry hazard user. Think jellicient except for dragons.

mamoswine is not a real threat, as if my venusaur starts sweeping, it will be at 90% health or near because of giga drain recovery. ice shard fails to OHKO even if banded

though, speaking of venusaur, perhaps i should add hidden power ground instead of fire? i lose coverage on grass types, but they are unlikely to be able to match boosted giga-drains anyway i think... usnure

Hi there.
Welcome on Smogon, I hope you will amuse you, it's a team very interesting, first I see that you are weak against Terrakion, you have nothing to tank his Close Combat properly, then you are 6-0'd if the opponent has Terrakion SD/salac Berry and Forretress is 2HKO by Close Combat of the Choice band, then even if you put Terrakion, the opponent can choose to switch and come after to continue. Your team is offensive, so can I suggest you put a Stall on a sweeper, but you can swap Forretress with Donphan, Donphan is a very good pokemon for your team as Neliel says, it can tank Terrakion, and it is a very good spinner, then now you can counter easily Dragonite/Salamence.

Then your team is very disadvantaged against Heatran, because Donphan is not a very good special tank and it is 2HKO by Fireblast/Flamethrower and 3HKO by Lava plume (Heatran Stall), Terrakion is a sweeper and it may take an Earth Power, then even if you put Kyurem the opponent can switch because it is obvious, I suggest you EarthQuake or Hidden power Ground on a pokemon who attracts Heatran easily like Volcarona or Venusaur, but as Volcarona can not lose roost because it does not have Leftovers I suggest you swap Sleep Powder with Earthquake on Venusaur, now you can easily kill Heatran, Jirachi.

Then swap Energy Ball with Sunny day on Ninetales, Energy ball is useless here, with sunny day you can anticipate Tyranitar, Politoed, Hippodown, Abomasnow and switch to keep the advantage because the opponent is forced to switch to prevent you from place you. And swap Will-O-Wisp with Toxic because you are very disadvantaged against Volcarona, because even if you possess Roar you can not kill him after, Terrakion is 2HKO by Fire Blast under Sun after a Quiver Dance and generally Volcarona has Hidden Power ground or Giga Drain. Now you can come on him with toxic + Roar.

For Terrakion I suggest you Sword Dance on X-Scissor, with this move you can set up you to facilitate the sweep of Venusaure/Volcarona, then you can Sword Dance on Forretress which can come Rapid Spinn and kill him after, Skarmory also.

Donphan (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Head Smash
- Earthquake
- Rapid Spin
- Ice Shard

Tl;dr
Forretress--->Donphan
Ninetales--->Sunny Day and Toxic
Terrakion--->Sword Dance
Venusaure--->Earthquake

Hope I Helped and Good Luck with your Team.

~Leftiez

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)