Help for building a team with only 9G new pokemons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello there,

I'm new around here. I just got into smogon and the competitive world, just trying some sets and try to understand how to build a team.
I'm currently playing with my friends on switch too and we are trying to make teams only with new mons from 9G.

Does anyone could help me to make a decent team with this restriction please?:blobthinking:

-I can use any new pokemon from this generation (so no Dragonite, Hydreigon, motisma..ect)
-No Miraidon/Koraidon allowed
- I can use banned pokemon thou, like Annihilape , Chi-Yu, Cyclizar...

What would be your advices? What core can i choose first? How would you do?

Thank you.

Dusk Mage Necrozma

formerly XenonHero126
There are a number of formats available on cartridge: which one are you intending to play? VGC (official ruleset doubles), BSS (official ruleset singles), or just casual no-rules singles?

Hello. Thanks for your answer.
I think casual. I mean, it's a challenge between me and my friends : we have to build teams with these restrictions (in my first message).
But i don't know how to start. I checked premade teams but there is always one or more mons that i cannot use.

I think casual. I mean, it's a challenge between me and my friends : we have to build teams with these restrictions (in my first message).
But i don't know how to start. I checked premade teams but there is always one or more mons that i cannot use.
Your best option is taking inspiration from Series 1 VGC format. It closely resembles your restrictions.

Dusk Mage Necrozma

formerly XenonHero126
Is it singles or doubles?

Singles ^^
In that case your best bet is just looking at the Battle Spot singles and disregard the old gen mons.

...that said, a "meta" like that one doesn't exist anywhere, so realistically speaking you will have to improvise regardless.
Either that or just throw a HO team with iron bundle / flutter mane / chi you / chien pao / 2 more random fast mons and be done with it. Yolo > thinking

Yeah it's a weird "meta" but i would like to make a decent team to beat my friends if possible XD.

HO= Hyper offense?

If i get it right, i have to choose a core of pokemon first and then build around. There is so many goods mons in the 9G i don't know what would be the best.

I thought about maybe :
Skeledirge + Garganacl
or
Gholdengo /Glimmora

But Chi-yu and cyclizar seems to be banned for a reason, it may be interesting to start building with them in mind. What do you think?

Last edited:
Cyclizar got banned for the fact it made setup sweepers have a very easy time get in for free with the Shed Tail + regen Combo.
So if you want to use it, the idea is to also run certain setup sweepeers like Espathra with it.

Chi-yu got banned cause it just does a lot of damage and has no real switchins. That's really it.

Hello again.
What do you think of that? I took 2 cores i like and have in the game and add a plant sweeper and annihilape rage fist set i saw a lot with some of the mons i have in this team.

Skeledirge @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Unaware
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 248 HP / 192 Def / 52 SpD / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Torch Song
- Slack Off
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hex

Garganacl @ Leftovers
Ability: Purifying Salt
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Salt Cure
- Recover
- Iron Defense
- Body Press

Gholdengo @ Air Balloon
Ability: Good as Gold
Tera Type: Normal
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Make It Rain
- Shadow Ball
- Nasty Plot
- Recover

Glimmora @ Focus Sash
Ability: Toxic Debris
Tera Type: Steel
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Serious Nature
- Mortal Spin
- Stealth Rock
- Earth Power
- Memento

Meowscarada @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Protean
Tera Type: Grass
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Flower Trick
- Knock Off
- Play Rough

Annihilape @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Vital Spirit
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 252 HP / 236 SpD / 20 Spe
Careful Nature
- Rage Fist
- Drain Punch
- Taunt
- Bulk Up

That is a pretty standard team with nothing fancy to it. Not much other than play it.

(If noone is ever going to run sleep moves, you're better off having Defiant on Annihilape, btw).

Thanks for your answer. I'll try it with my friends.

(Understood. guys in my group are playing with sleep moves and i hate it lol. That's why.)

(Understood. guys in my group are playing with sleep moves and i hate it lol. That's why.)
That is fine, in VGC Vital Spirit is not uncommon to deal with Amoongus, though you would also have the option to use Lum Berry Defiant instead if they run many intimidates or similar things.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Idk how I didn't see this before.

Orange Islands is not the right section for this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)