SS UU Help rate/improve my team please

Hey guys,

So I've been playing showdown on/off for a while, and mostly been doing random battles. Recently, however, I decided to try the meta games and I found a lot of pokemon I liked to be in UU.

Therefore, I created this team: https://pokepast.es/c578ad88e3afddaf

Breakdown of sets:

(1) Celesteela @ Leftovers

So I kinda wanted to run both the leech seed and the setup method. The speed EVs make it so that it can out speed most pokemon after an automize, but not all. Leech seed and leftovers + some investment in bulk help with setting up.
It's versatile, but doesn't excel on the extremes.

(2) Nihilego @ Power Herb

This looks very gimmicky and I was sure it wouldn't work that well when I first made it, but it is by far the best pokemon on my team and has helped me reverse sweep games I had little hope of winning.
As you can see, it relies quite a bit on RNG.
EVs are spread to make sure SpA is maximum while speed boost goes towards Speed. Thunder has helped me more than it has been a hindrance (I probably just got lucky tho).

(3) Mew @ Leftovers

Pure utility set. High health and max SpD to wall special attackers. 12 points in speed to out speed some other base 100 speed pokemons.
Passive, but always very helpful for the team.
If someone tricks their choice item to this mon, however, usually my whole team is done for. I think I'm too heavily reliant on mew because I switch back to it way too much.

(4) Rotom-Heat @ Leftovers

Physical wall + status support. Has volt switch to keep momentum. I generally like to start with this if opponents have a hazard entry.
I know a lot of people run HDB, but I've found leftovers recovery to be very useful on this set. I rarely have to switch this mon in on hazards to begin with.
Biggest problem is the inaccuracy of thunder wave and will-o-wisp (and honestly even overheat) which has cost me games.

(5) Krookodile @ Life Orb

Fast physical attacker w/ utility set. Taunt shuts down opposing hazard setters. I use stealth rocks when I have the chance. Knock off and EQ are boosted by LO.
Almost always the first mon to die tho.

(6) Tentacruel @ Black Sludge

Rapid spinner + secondary hazard setter. Mostly to round off the team.
Debating whether to use Haze or Protect. Protect isn't game changing, but helps with recovery and scouting attacks.
When I equip haze tho, I rarely find a chance to use it, but when I do, I wish I had it. So torn between these two options here.

------

And yeah, that's my team. I've played UU for 2-3 days now and slowly refined it. I feel it could further be refined. I have the most trouble against Terrakion and Victini when I'm using this team.

Thanks for help in advance.

For celesteela, you shouldn't use heavy slam and autonomize because you lower your weight making heavy slam bad. Protect is a better option so you can get as much recovery as you can and for chip. Power herb nihilhego is not gimmicky, it's actually a pretty good sweeper. Replace thunder with thunderbolt or power gem so you can get a spammable rock stab or a more accurate but weaker electric type move. I feel like you could replace one of your status moves on rotom for something like thunderbolt so you don't switch out. As for the victini and terrakion problem you could add quagsire as it does have unaware to ignore potential swords dance, good physical bulk, and reliable recovery. I would replace mew because you have celesteela. For tentacruel, scald is a good option over haze and protect because you can cripple physical attackers with a burn.

esche

Frust kommt auf, denn der Bus kommt nicht
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
hey man

theres def a bit of work that can be done so lets adjust some stuff :blobwizard:

:celesteela:

the set you have right now is a bit of a weird mish mash between offense and defense. as the above poster pointed out heavy slam and autotomize dont go amazingly together (tho you still hit almost everything for max dmg anyway bc even at half weight steela is quite chunky). but you better make up your mind here what you wanna go for with this set. ill put the defensive set for the version i have in mind but if you wanna go with an offensive set lmk and we can figure sth else out.

Celesteela @ Leftovers
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Careful Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Earthquake
- Leech Seed
- Protect

:mew: --> :latias:

mew is versatile alright but the set youre running is kind of suboptimal. first off its complete taunt bait and second off this set doesnt accomplish much anyway and is completely shutdown by steels. ww along tspikes is v situational bc its very likely theyll get absorbed the turn after they go up. with steela on the spdef side of things to take care of latias you can make this slot into a latias of your own. this allows you to check terrakion and put some more pressure on slowking which nihilego will appreciate weakened before it attempts to sweep. the dragon typing is also quite helpful here to pivot into victini and stuff.

Latias (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Mystical Fire
- Recover

:krookodile: --> :choice scarf:

orb krook is fun actually bc its suprisingly strong but you need scarf here imo to deal with zera latias zam and other fast stuff. scarf krook forces enough switches that you can afford to lay up rocks on a predicted switch. i put edge last to be able to smack gyara at +1 should that ever come up.

Krookodile @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

:rotom-heat: --> :heavy duty boots:

rotom-heat is one of those mons that insanely benefitted from the introduction of heavy duty boots so you will wanna opt for those instead of leftovers also. instead of twave or will-o-wisp you def want to fit pain split here so that you can keep your health. as for the choice of status move wow, twave and tox all have their applications. tox is prob the best all around bc you get to put stuff like latias and salamence on a timer but wow has seen some more play recently bc it punishes hard switches into terrakion and krookodile harder. twave is a neat option too if youd rather overwhelm opposing latias etc with a slow breaker such as conkeldurr but since that doesnt seem to be the approach here id stick with tox or wow. as for the evs go with enough speed for mamoswine and togekiss and pump the rest into defense.

Rotom (Rotom-Heat) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 40 Def / 216 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Pain Split
- Toxic
- Volt Switch
- Overheat

:tentacruel:

tspikes honestly arent super great atm everything weak to hazards is likely to run hdb anyway and then theres a bunch of grounded poisons such as amoongus and nidoqueen running around that dont make the effort putting up tspikes worth. youll occassionally run into matchups were they are amazing but overally you are better off with sth like knock off or haze. you def wanna pack scald on this to be able to pressure steela and shift the spdef evs into def to at least take some hits from azu better. swave and 40 spatk to ohko bd azu after rocks and bd sitrus recovery.

Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
Ability: Liquid Ooze
EVs: 248 HP / 124 Def / 40 SpAtk / 96 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Sludge Wave
- Knock Off
- Rapid Spin

:tangrowth: conclusion :tapu bulu:

ngl theres still a bunch of threats that prevail here

broken terrakion doesnt have switchins but at least now you have two faster mons to pivot into edge or cc and force it out. tentacruel is easily overwhelmed by azu and bc opposing krook are actually quite annoying too you could try and fit a tangrowth somewhere perhaps. this would prob mean having to change more stuff though so i held off on that edit. bulky cm sweepers such as reuniclus probably will just 6-0 if youre not careful so maybe look into bulk up tapu bulu as a fix for that. i do think a bulky grass might be worthwhile considering here but ill stop here so you can give some feedback first what direction you wanna go here.

hope this helped, lmk what you think of this edit, import below

https://pokepast.es/3b0ee08fe9d559fc

peace

esche I like the changes you mentioned.
Okay if I had to choose a set for celesteela, I think I'd want a setup set. Is it really that bad to run autotomize + heavy slam? I did the calc and the weight goes down to 899.9 kg which is more than enough for most things. But yea, I'd like a setup sweeper set more.

Secondly, you mentioned buliy grass types. Is there a way to fit tapu bulu in this team? I would love to have bulu as he's one of my favorite pokemon.

Finally, why sludge wave over sludge bomb for tentacruel? And could I swap knock with haze or protect? I think losing whirlwind mew will make me very prone to setup mons so what would I have for them?

esche

Frust kommt auf, denn der Bus kommt nicht
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
oh mb bro i thought it halves the weight. could def work then. though the power herb meteor beam set is prob still superior overall.

thing is without fat steela you just lose to latias so if you want to run offensive steela you need to account for latias in some other capacity. that probably means slowking somewhere then. tapu bulu could fit in either the nihilego slot or in the tentacruel slot. if you wanna experiment with autotomize celesteela go bulu>nihilego and slowking>tentacruel imo. fitting bulu in one of the aforementioned spots on the other version depends on whether you value offensive presence or utility/removal more. personally i like tenta better but i understand if youd rather go with nihilego.

:tapu bulu:

Tapu Bulu @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 4 Atk / 40 Def / 120 SpD / 96 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Horn Leech
- Darkest Lariat
- Bulk Up
- Synthesis

this is the set i had in mind for bulu. you could go offensive 3 attacks life orb but i like the staying power of this particular set.

https://pokepast.es/e7a7f59528feb2db

^i think this is pretty solid actually

not gonna comment too much on autotomize steela bc i have no experience with the set. maybe someone else can chime in on that.

why sludge wave over sludge bomb for tentacruel?
i put sludge wave and 40 spatk to ohko belly drum azu after rocks, belly drum and sitrus recovery. it also has the added benefit of breaking kommo-o's substitute.

could I swap knock with haze or protect?
you can put haze>knock if you want but i dont recommend protect. squeezing out more lefties recovery isnt super important for tentacruel.

I think losing whirlwind mew will make me very prone to setup mons so what would I have for them?
long story short: you play so that they dont get to set up in the first place. i realise this isnt feasible advice in the screens matchup so go with haze on tenta for that if you like but in all other matchups you should have options to deal with threats at hand. scarf krook and latias help you revenge kill stuff that you couldnt before and bulk up bulu wins the 1v1 vs fatter cm stuff.

esche Wow, thanks man! That looks really good overall.
Some follow up I have are:
1. On Latias, why not use the Orb it gets? The boost is 1.2X on psychic and dragon moves, but it has no recoil.
2. Wouldn't leftovers be better on bulu than boots? Because rocks do 12% damage and leftovers + terrain gives back 12% health.
3. How would I deal with getting burned/paralyzed? Is it possible to fit in heal bell/aromatherapy anywhere?
4. Can I go rock slide instead of stone edge on krookodile?
5. What would be the physical wall on this team?

Last edited:
Latias likes the extra damage on it's coverage moves and its already quite bulky.

Leftover kicks in at the end of the turn so if you switch in with bulu rocks might put you in range of an attack you otherwise could've tanked.

If you know a mon has status moves try to play around them by switching into immunities, chance based status usually can't be accounted for so just deal with them when they happen.

Stone Edge is simply superior to rock slide but its up to you.

Not all teams need dedicated walls

Latias likes the extra damage on it's coverage moves and its already quite bulky.

Leftover kicks in at the end of the turn so if you switch in with bulu rocks might put you in range of an attack you otherwise could've tanked.

If you know a mon has status moves try to play around them by switching into immunities, chance based status usually can't be accounted for so just deal with them when they happen.

Stone Edge is simply superior to rock slide but its up to you.

Not all teams need dedicated walls
Cool, thanks. I had this thing in my mind that I couldnt have a proper team without a physical and special wall, in addition to support mon with status removal.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)