SS OU Help regarding my team

Hi, I am quite new to smogon, however I have learnt how to build teams and play in showdown. With some research, I have built a team that has helped me reached me the 1400s. However, I am unable to get past the 1550s and I am continuously losing games. Therefore, can anyone help me to modify or improve my team. Thank you in regards

My team:
Rillaboom @ Life Orb
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Grassy Glide
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Drain Punch
This is my counter to water types like slowbro, tapu fini, etc. It is a very potent sweeper with sd and can break holes in the opponent. Plus it has priority in grassy glide in order to revenge kill setup sweepers like garchomp and swift swimmers like barraskewda. Therefore, I feel it is very important as it is the only priority in my team and can act as a dangerous sweeper late game.

Dragapult @ Choice Specs
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Draco Meteor
- U-turn
- Fire Blast
I wanted a wallbreaker who is extremely speedy and dragapult was the best one. It's extremely spammable shadow ball is superb and can clean late game. Draco meteor is for better more powerful stab, while u turn is to pivot from checks like blissey and fire blast isf for ferrothorn and scizor. It's only counters are blissey which is dealt by corv and tapu fini as well as faster mons which can be countered by the rest of the team. Also gave it modest as I thought the extra power was more needed for ferro, heatran, clefable and pex as the mons which atre tied to it or are above it like tapu koko, zeraora and weavile threaten it anyway.
Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 140 Def / 44 SpA / 72 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Nature's Madness
- Taunt
- Surf
- Moonblast
This is my main check to stall as it can easily whittle them with nature's madness and then taunt them from setting hazard or healing. Surf and moonblast are for stabs and for offensive pressure. I specifically chose this set as it is a bit unknown and can deal better against stall and also ferro when it switches in. All in all, it is very important to counter stall as well as barraskewda and kingdra and garchomp and other threats.

Corviknight @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 180 Def / 76 SpD
Impish Nature
- U-turn
- Defog
- Roost
- Body Press
This is my main defogger as it was very necessary to remove hazards. It is a great check to blissey if tapu fini fails to counter it and stealth Rock setters like garchomp, hippo, etc. Rocky helmet is to provide chip damage from u turns and also for surging strikes and double iron bash. U tun is for momentum and roost is for healing. Body press is better for blissey, kartana, bisharp, etc. Heatran and dragapult are countered by tapu fini and electrics are countered by Lando.

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 164 Def / 92 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
Lando is for rocks and is self explanatory. U turn is for momentum and eq is stab. I specifically ran stone edge over toxic or knock off in order to surprise zapdos and tornadus t and didn't feel like I needed them. Water is checked by rillaboom and kyurem while ice is countered bby tapu fini or corv.

Kyurem @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 48 HP / 208 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Substitute
- Roost
- Freeze-Dry
- Earth Power
Tis is my last team member. I neede it as I thought rain is so common and it is better to have another check to rain. Freeze dry is stab and great against waters and mons weak to ice. Earth ppwer is for heatran and other steel types. Sub+ roost is to pp stall mons like clef.
Overall, I feel that this sis a great team. However, some notable counters I think are most sweepers like dragonite and volcarona as I don't have unaware mons and toxic, hail teams as I don't have a reliable check to them, and hyper offensive teams. Feel free to give any suggestions and thanks in advance.
P.S: This is my first time posting a thread so maybe it is not presented properly so sorry for that.
Edit: I have changed kyurem to weavile which is proving to be better.

Last edited:
Hey, your team looks pretty good, but there are a couple things that need changing. First, the rillaboom's main point is to break the team, and it usually lures in things like ferro. Nothing on ur team really abuses the fact that mons like those are gone. Try putting in a mon like urshifu/weavile for kyurem or make kyurem specs. Lando needs either knock off or toxic, i suggest knock off for lefties clefable (checks specs kyurem and pult). Oh and change corv to brave bird instead, better for checking sd rilla which shreds through your team.

Oh yeah specs kyurem is far better or else I'll change it to weavile. I'll also change Lando from stone edge to knock off and let me see about body press or brave bird. Thanks for your suggestions.

Agree with the guy, your team looks pretty good, but ferro bothers you a lot. I suggest you change drain punch for super power in rillaboom, i think is 2HKO after a SD. Also you can use bodypress magnezone.

Beware of giga drain volcarona, it can cripple your entire team after one boost. Also SD Kartana is able to sweep your entire team.

Yep true superpower is better on rillaboom as it can 1 hit ko both ferro and heatran after sd, I will change that. Kartana can be somewhat dealt with dragapult and corv as it has body press though as you said volcarona is the biggest threat and I guess I can't do anything with it if it has giga drain. I'll just have to weaken it with rillabooms knock off or else if it sets up on kyurem locked in freeze dry or ice beam I'll just forfeit . Thanks for your suggestions

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)