ORAS OU Help with my team

This is the team i'm using on Pokémon Showdown.
It has it's up's and down's and i thought i'd ask for some help in order to improve.

Ken (Klefki) (M) @ Light Clay
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Toxic
- Foul Play
I always start with Klefki so i can set up some quick Dual Screens and poison my foes. It has been working so far and he can usually hang out for a while.

Gerard (Gliscor) (M) @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 244 HP / 8 Def / 200 SpD / 56 Spe
Careful Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Facade

Gliscor is usually used with Pidgeot or Bronzong to unleash his Earthquake without having to fear self-harm. Poison Heal/Toxic Orb is nice as it both heals and protects him from negative status ailments.
However i feel like he loses a lot against Flying types such as Skarmory.

Pidgeot @ Pidgeotite
Ability: Big Pecks
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Heat Wave
- Roost
- U-turn

A relatively new addition mostly there because i wanted a flying Mega and Charizard Y wasn't doing that well...
Aside from the downsides of No Guard it's been doing alright at hitting fast and hard.

Riley (Raikou) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Shadow Ball

Another newcomer. Raikou was a replacement for the Electrivire i used before.
He's good at hitting fast and varying but i feel is losing pretty fast if Ground-types are involved.

Polly (Politoed) (F) @ Damp Rock
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 248 HP / 164 SpD / 96 Spe
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Toxic
- Brick Break
- Rest

I'm not really sure why i'm still using Politoed on my team. I used to partner her with a Dragonite with Hurricane or my aforementioned Electrivire with Thunder for the 100% accuracy.
However since i removed them she's been so-so but still saving me from Charizard Y's drought and alike.

Bolly (Bronzong) @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Gyro Ball
- Toxic
- Earthquake

Bronzong was added because i felt like i needed something bulky which wouldn't get in the way of Gliscor's Earthquake.
Bronzong has been working so-so but is all around pretty mediocre in terms of usefulness.

So that's it. Is anyone interested in giving me some advice?

Hey! I've got a few suggestions that might help you out!

Firstly, let's address the flying mega issue: In OU, the only massively viable flying megas are Charizard Variants and Latios. Looking at your team, I'd say a mega Latios or Latias would fit perfectly, giving you a keldeo switch in that normally would basically rampage your team. I'll include both sets below - it generally outclasses Pigeot and gives your team great speed control.

Next, you said you had trouble with Charizard-Y - believe it or not, Tyranitar, though being weak to grass actually destroys Char-Y, and also serves to counter Char-X and Talonflame too:

252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Solar Beam vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Tyranitar: 220-260 (54.4 - 64.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

That's in the sun, and it easily survives the 2hko while also dealing:

4 Atk Tyranitar Stone Edge vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Charizard Y: 676-804 (227.6 - 270.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

That much damage back to it with 0 attack investments. In the sand, if you switch into T-tar, it gives Solarbeam a possible 5hko, making T-tar a great switch in to Char since it destroys sun and gives it a massive Special Defence boost. I'd replace Bronzong with this since it has the same EV path, and generally performs better in being a great flying type counter.

Now, taking all this into account, if you do these suggestions you're gonna be 4x weak to ice, 2x to fighting and 2x to dark, making Weavile, a massive threat right now, super happy, especially a swords dance variant. A Rotom-W variant can switch in to it's ice attacks and burn it with will-o-wisp, while also countering those ground types you're having trouble with. Replacing Politoed with this guy makes massive sense since it's the exact same typing, but actually serves to counter your checks really well. Alternatively you can run an Azumarill set, who resists every single one of his attacks, and also keeps the dragon types off the rest of your team, as well as countering Mega Lopunny, who can go through half your team if you run T-tar.

252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Play Rough vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Lopunny: 374-444 (138 - 163.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Play Rough vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Weavile: 506-596 (180 - 212%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Waterfall vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Talonflame: 420-494 (141.4 - 166.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

As for your bulky ground types:

252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Hippowdon: 204-242 (48.5 - 57.6%) -- 52.3% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery - That's huge for a fully defensive Hippo.
252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Gliscor: 198-234 (55.9 - 66.1%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO after Poison Heal - Again great damage for massive bulky mons.
252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Waterfall vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Landorus: 348-410 (109 - 128.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 306-360 (79.2 - 93.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Waterfall vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Excadrill: 480-566 (132.5 - 156.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

TL, DR:

Run Tyranitar > Bronzong.
Run Azumarill > Politoed
Try Mega Lati@s > Mega Pigeot

I like Klefki and Gliscor. If ground types are still giving you stick, because of Raikou's weakness, try:

Thundurus > Raikou. With 1 nasty plot it ohkos Hippowdown with Hidden Power Ice.

Tyranitar @ Smooth Rock/Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Atk
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit
- Ice Beam/Ice Punch/Earthquake

Azumarill @ Assault Vest
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet
- Knock Off

Latios @ Latiosite
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power Fire/HP Ice
- Defog/Roost/Surf/Thunderbolt

Thundurus @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power Ice
- Volt Switch/Dark Pulse/Focus Blast

That's it from me! Hope I could help, happy playing!

Thanks a lot.
I feel like these additions however makes me very vulnerable against Ice... Do you think adding Charizard Y for someone else would work? I've given Thundurus Incinerate instead of Volt Switch for now but haven't tested it yet.
I also feel like i lack flying-type moves which is why i thought Charizard-Y...
So far the team has been working just fine however so i'll run it for awhile.

To be honest, you really don't need flying type moves - the grass types are few and far between, and fighting types are covered with Latios - try a bulky Latias if you're having trouble with M-Lopunny's ice punch.

As for ice, the only notable user of OU is Weavile, and a few other mons using ice beam (starmie, Kyurem-B) and a few using ice punch (M-Lopunny, M-Metagross, Conkeldurr) and some Hidden Power ice users (electric types like Raikou, M-Mancectric and Thundurus). Of all these, only Weavile is getting STAB off it. Try your raikou set over Thundurus if you're having problems still, but ice isn't a very popular type at all in OU. However, if you see any electric type or M-Lopunny you can be sure they're running HP Ice and Ice Punch, so just use your head - Azumarill is a great switch in to any of these, and T-tar and Klef can switch in to these moves pretty well. If you're having massive problems, try a really good ice resist, preferrably a fire type instead of Gliscor - Maybe Talonflame or Heatran, or a Kyurem of your own - neutral to ice and carries moves that can deal with ice.

TL,DR; Ice isn't a massively popular type, but test the team some more and if you're losing time and time again, look at changing your team to include a good ice resist - plenty of good steel types around too - I can recommend Scizor: with a bulky swords dance roost variant, you can ohko weavile with one priority bullet punch, and you only get a x4 fire weakness from him, which is fine since nothing else is weak to fire. Set below if you feel like trying it - it's a great switch in to any ice type, and has enough bulk to switch into Electric types/Mega Lopunny carrying it.

Scizor @ Leftovers
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 60 Def / 200 SpD
Impish Nature
- Swords Dance
- Roost
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn/Knock Off

Hi.
How about testing an unusual set in Politoed?

Politoed @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 92 Def / 164 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Whirlpool
- Perish Song
- Rest

This set is an unusual stallbreaker, Whirlpool + Perish Song combo destroys stall. (Chansey, Quagsire, others.) Due to good switchs opportunities forced by Volt Turn I believe it to be effective.

Another suggestion, test Jirachi in place of Bronzong.

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 224 SpD / 32 Spe
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
- Iron Head
- Thunder Wave

Another U-Turn user, decent Speed and Bulky.

I hope I've helped, have a nice day!

Last edited:
I probably should have mentioned that i mostly/only play double battles. Will these pokémon still work? It has worked so-so so far.

13ulbasaur

* It seems to be nervous about fighting.
is an Artist Alumnus
I probably should have mentioned that i mostly/only play double battles. Will these pokémon still work? It has worked so-so so far.
So is this a Smogon Doubles OU RMT then? Might want to get a mod to move it. I'll rate it later if it is a Doubles OU RMT if no one else does it first.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)