VGC Heroes and Sidekicks (Sweepers + Support)

The Team

Sidekicks

This team is build around Togekiss and Whimsicott which cover 3 different supportive strategies. The obvious two are Follow Me and Tailwind. The third one is still a very well known strategy: Beat Up on Justified. While Conkeldurr and Arcanine work best with a specific partner, Gengar and Butterfree can be paired with either.

Openers
The way the team has been built means you have several different options to start your match with. The strategy for each match can be altered towards what will work best against your current opponent.

Opener One: Togedurr

Follow Me - Focus Punch
Togekiss uses Follow Me to guarantee a massive hit from Conkeldurr

Opener Two: Justice!

Beat Up - Max
Whimsicott deals 4 Dark-type hits to Arcanine to triple its Attack stat.

Opener Three: Speed

Tailwind - Max
Whimsicott uses Tailwind to help it’s allie outspeed it’s opponent.

Opener Four: Set-up

Follow Me - Nasty Plot / Quiver Dance
Togekiss uses Follow Me to allow it’s allie to ramp some stats.

Items, Stats and Movesets

Whimsicott @ Mental Herb
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid

- Tailwind
- U-turn
- Beat Up
- Dazzling Gleam

Whimsicott is used as a sidekick for two different scenarios. Boosting Arcanine’s Atk with Beat Up and Boosting the teams speed with Tailwind. U-turn gives it a chance to not waste a turn when switching while Dazzling Gleam hits both opponents. Mental Herb stops Taunt users from disrupting Tailwind.

Togekiss @ Wiki Berry
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Calm

- Follow Me
- Air Slash
- Dazzling Gleam
- Wish

Togekiss serves the purpose of tanking the first round while Conkeldurr charges Focus Punch or one of the SpA users uses it’s set-up move. I decided to run Wiki Berry to help sustain this first round of damage. Wish adds a Cleric option to the team, Air Slash + Serene Grace gives Togekiss a possible synergy with Whimsicott’s Tailwind and Dazzling Gleam hits both opponents.

Arcanine @ Expert Belt
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly

- Flare Blitz
- Close Combat
- Crunch
- Wild Charge

Arcanine should always be paired with Whimsicott. When Whimsicott uses it’s Beat Up on Arcanine it will triple the Atk stat on Arcanine. This is the biggest damage this team can have on turn 1. Flare Blitz is for STAB, Close Combat adds a 2nd move with massive attack as well as cover Hydreigon, Crunch covers Dragapult and Wild Charge is an overall addition to coverage.

Conkeldurr @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 HP / Atk Def / 4 SpD
Adamant

- Focus Punch
- Mach Punch
- Payback
- Ice Punch

Conkeldurr should always be paired with Togekiss. This is a safer option to get some massive physical damage in on turn 1. Guts + Flame Orb increases Conkeldurr’s stats for turn 2. Mach Punch adds a priority move, Payback and Ice Punch cover Psychic and Flying types.

Gengar @ Life Orb
Ability: Cursed Body
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid

- Sludge Wave
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Nasty Plot

Gengar is a nice in-between option for my main SpA sweeper. While Dragapult is faster and Chandelure is stronger Gengar takes a nice best-of-both worlds and makes him an excellent pick to choose between Tailwinding and opening with Nasty Plot. Focus Blast is an unreliable move but covers Gengar’s greatest enemy: bulky Steel-types.

Butterfree (G-max) @ Charti Berry
Ability: Tinted Lens
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid

- Pollen Puff
- Hurricane
- Energy Ball
- Quiver Dance

I decided to add Butterfree to the team. Since this team is very offensive I felt being able to status opponent’s would come in handy against some opponents. Quiver Dance is also one of the strongest buffs in the game which works perfect with the Follow Me strategy used with Togekiss while a simple Tailwind by Whimsicott can guarantee getting off at least one Befuddle. I gave it a Charti Berry to cover it’s double-weakness to Rock-type moves.​

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)