hi im glen

i haven't played pokemon in about 4 years BUT apparently prediction/general mon-based thinking is akin to riding a bike so i'm doing a lot better than i expected to. my knowledge of the metagame comes solely from cursory glances at the rmt section and the general suspect thread. i don't really know any damage calcs so i often make plays thinking 'it would make sense if my scizor could do 70% with bullet punch. it just seems reasonable. i am going to use bullet punch with my scizor.'

my evs are hella rudimentary but once i play some more games and calculations gradually suffuse my psyche i will update them. i will be asking a lot of questions so please, perspicacious trainers, lend me your mental might.

my team building process started when i remembered being in grade 5 and beating a grade 6 with my level 71 tyranitar so he seemed like a solid pick. then i wanted a guy who was a bug so i chose scizor. THEN i wanted a guy who was really strong so i picked conkeldurr. then i remembered how much i loved swampert in gen 3 but then i also remembered that swampert is kinda poops. i was thinking of gastrodon but i played a lot of 4th gen battle factory and when gastrodon came in and did that 'suck-suck' noise while bobbing its head it left me feeling uncomfortable so i opted for quagsire. then i figured lets bring in some 5th gen guys, maybe theyre good????????

basically im playing something stally because the way i look at it i am exposed to more elements of gameplay this way, speeding up the learning process. slow, meandering games are my pedagog.

that said, check out MY strategy:

Tyranitar (M) @ Leftovers Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 SDef
Sassy Nature (+SDef, -Spd)
- Crunch
- Stealth Rock
- Superpower
- Fire Blast

i ctrl-f'd 'sassy' on the tyranitar page and this was the first one to come up so i went with it. i chose not to use ice beam because i didn't expect gliscor to be a huge problem, and my expectations were correct. that said i didn't put the 44 evs into sp atk. are they good for anything else?

i'm blown away by how much this thing can soak specially, but less than impressed with its damage. crunch isn't as potent as i expected it to be but it hits celebi pretty hard which i was happy with. superpower also hasn't been doing much. sometimes i sr as a heatran sr's. then i superpower for 70% as it does something. ok. maybe i will go with ice beam. fire blast is soooo cheeky.

i'm still learning when to keep tyra alive and when to let it go. there are some games where its absolutely pivotal and i'll make weird plays just to keep him alive but some where i'll sack him off on turn 3 just because i'm still so new at the game that i don't really ever feel safe switching anything into anything.

ttar seems like the most protean mon in history, am i using the right one?

Scizor (M) @ Choice Band
Trait: Technician
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- U-turn
- Pursuit
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower

now i see what all the fuss has been about for the past two years. scizor is soo meaty. one time i bullet punched and i had to reset my modem. probably a coincidence but maybe not. i ran into the problem of scizor vs scizor lead once and was unhappy about going first. should i plunk those 4 evs into def/sdef and maybe reduce its speed iv? i don't know speed tiers very well, would i miss out on anything important by doing that?

Ferrothorn (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 48 Def / 208 SDef
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Power Whip
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Gyro Ball

i really like having both attacking moves. protect has been working very well so far and i haven't run into any games where i wished it were spikes or twave. one time i protected vs a meinshao's hjk and it died! then i felt bad because it is such a graceful mon

Conkeldurr (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Guts
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
- Bulk Up
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Stone Edge

this guy is my strongest guy. he has the highest attack out of all my mons. one time i brought him out vs ferrothorn and the guy switched to latios as i stone edged, then stone edge critted! boy was his face red. i heard payback is shitty now, plus im kinda terrified of dragonite sooooo

Quagsire (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Scald
- Recover
- Yawn
- Earthquake

i really really like this guy. without him i'd be losing to some of the worst smashpass teams and probably getting sour about mons in general. i was shocked to find out that unaware didn't stop stored power from being strong. good thing it only did 95%, sucker!!!!!!!!!!!

i chose a physically defensive set because i get so nervous when i think about dragonite and his friends. but i probably cant beat guys like reuniclus with this quagsire so i dunno. i think the rest of my team handles special booster guys well enough.

i'm iffy about yawn. it's earned me some key victories but i also don't think i have enough hazards to make proper use of it. also sub blocks it? i dont remember sub blocking it in 4th gen battle factory ?_?

earthquake seems kind of terrible, i don't think i'm going to use it anymore. is ice beam better? ice beam is probably better. i was thinking of even going with stockpile.

Jellicent (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Scald
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover
- Shadow Ball

probably my least favourite guy. i originally had tr reuniclus on here because i thought it might be a worthwhile gimmick with so many slow guys but then i was met with uselessness and all its consequences. i then realized i didn't really like reuniclus at all even though he was really strong.

ive tried both taunt and shadow ball and i like neither. in theory shadow ball is cool for dicking starmie around but it hasnt come up yet. i was thinking of dropping this guy for gliscor but then rain teams are kinda stressful since i don't really have anything except ferrothorn to tank splashy surprises. it would, however, give me a much needed earth immunity.

so far, the most problematic mon has been dragonite. he has been to me the devil. luckily i have only faced painfully average players using him so i've been scoring ko's that i should in no way be able to. i think ice beam on quag would help.

landorus is kind of scary as well. i realized i don't have any ground resists which is sort of inexcusable lol. luckily quag isn't 2hko'd by sand force eq so i haven't actually lost to it yet but my options are very limited. gliscor is looking cuter and cuter

specs tornadus is ridiculous what the hell. i can't switch ANYTHING into hurricane/uturn/whatever/whatever. it is why my body aches and my heart feels crushed. i don't know what to do about this. maybe i can drop conk for a blissey or something? maybe heatran? if i go blissey then i'll probably need spikes on ferro due to lack of offense. or i could put rocks on ferro and change ttar to a scary choiced one. and he'd have wish support in blissey. AND i'd give him a really cool nickname probably.

lucario is a bit intimidating, and has been the only mon to make me glad i'm rocking jellicent. gliscor, too, would do things to this mon.

gliscor has been a non-issue so far. physically bulky quag makes a fool of non-toxic variants, but when i finally meet a toxic one i'll be concerned. toxic ones can't do anything to ferro but my limited pp means they can just stall me out of attacks. so yeah when i run into one of these i'm not sure what i'm gonna do about it.

i've only run into 2 terrakion and i've beaten them because they were being used stupidly but i have no idea how to not just lose a pokemon to a well-played terrakion every time it comes in. it's really seeming like i need gliscor here.

help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hi glen

aside from having to play carefully around magnezone/celebi your team looks pretty damn legit

to solve your gliscor/genie/terrakion/dnite problem have you considered running a scarfed hp ice terrakion over conk? it totally denies setup as an added bonus and can be the check you need lategame

anyway yeah awesome team, hope this helps!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

His Eminence Lord Poppington II

proverb:the fish who eats most dies still too
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
your prose is so amazingly entertaining

that being said your team definitely has some issues with special attackers as CB scizor is very easily worn down with hazards and then TR reun will poop on your face as it does 63.55 - 74.63% to standard CB with focus blast.

i think you should use a specially defensive bulky scizor with SD, as this will increase your offensive presence if you do not want to run spikes; stall without spikes isn't very dangerous as SR resists are common and you will face teams with more offensive presence that you cannot handle and can endlessly switch around on you.

scizor @ leftovers
248 Hp 40 Atk 216 SpD Adamant
Bug Bite
Roost
Swords Dance
Bullet Punch

now you can 2hko TR reun with bug bite + bullet punch and survive 2 focus blasts most of the time as long as they don't have sr up. which brings me to my next point, your team should have a spinner as all your mons are weak to spikes!!

at the moment deo-s leads with low kick can threaten out your ttar turn one and set up sr + 1 layer spikes off the bat, even if it only gets SR up opposing ferro get all over your own + quaggy and spike.

the best spinner in the current meta is probably starmie, and it lets you have a strong offensive presence against opposing rain teams; i'd probably put it over jellicent if you feel that it is the weakest. starmie's LO thunderbolt 2hko's jellicent with sr and without it has a high chance to do so too! I'd just use LO 3 attacks + rapid Spin, you can put recover over ice beam if you want but it's good for revenging CB dragonite, and threatening latios / latias!

also i really think you would benefit from having spikes on your ferrothorn, as you are severely threatening by CB terrakion which can effortlessly switch in and if you predict wrong, KO something, CB close combat 2hko's quagsire easily and the combination of its stab attacks will prove problematic! if you want to use a no hazards ferrothorn you might as well use the CB version.

i wouldn't worry about dragonite too much as the only versions that beat quagsire are CB and specially based, both of which starmie can handle, although you might have to lose a 'mon in the process.

i wouldn't worry about lucario either as you can just revenge it with conkeldur, and quagsire takes it most of the time, just don't switch it in if there's spikes up!

tornadus is still problematic but at least starmie checks it.

good luck glen

Aldaron

geriatric
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
liking this specifically for

"one time i bullet punched and i had to reset my modem."

My overall concern for this team would be facing those 3+ Dragon hyper offense teams, especially that ones that run Magnezone (so they'll play a 1 dragon for 1 steel game worst case for them if you out predict them).

You said Dragonite seems to be your most problematic but I can also see a Bulky ChestoRest Volcarona in Sun bothering you should Conkeldurr go down (and against Sun, odds are it will go down early battle since Scizor / Ferro will be mostly deadweight / sacrifices). You also said you regretted not having a ground immunity.

Since you're running Sand, I'd suggest replacing Conkeldurr with a Choice Scarf Landorus with Earthquake, Stone Edge, U-turn, and Hidden Power Ice (+speed nature). This would help you check various threats like Dragonite / Volcarona / Offensive Rain while also helping to deal with Dragon Dancing and Choice Band / Mix Dragons (DD Haxorus / Dragonite, CB Dragonite / Haxorus, Mix Hydreigon).

I don't see Conkeldurr as much of a glue on your team, besides maybe tanking Volcarona a bit (your set is actually ohkoed by +1 LO Fire Blast in Sun) and checking Dragonite with Stone Edge, both of which Landorus would do and help you against Rain and Dragons as well.

If Choice Scarf isn't your style you could try running a Leftovers Swords Dance version (leftovers so it can still attempt to check offensive Pokemon late game), but on this team I'd seriously recommend the scarfer.

Latias with this set Thunderbolt, Surf, Draco Meteor and Hp Fire
can be dangerous because Hidden Power Fire takes out Ferrothorn and Scizor and Thunderbolt and Draco Meteor can destroy this team. To Avoid that Choice Scarf Terrakion can get rid of Latias with one X-scissor, here the set.

Terrakion @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Justified
Evs:4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature [+ Attack - Special Attack]

-Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- X-Scissor
- Rock Slide

Damn Solid team Glen you got there, Good luck.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Seconding Aldaron's suggestion, Scarf Landlos will help you check a ton of threats since this team is pretty slow. Specifically you check +1 Volcorona, Dragon Dance users, speedy pokemon who are weak to your stabs / coverag moves (Terrakion, Tornadus etc) Quagsire and Jellicent somewhat overlap so i'd recommend replacing one of them (i'm leaning towards Jellicent) for LO/EB Latios or CM Latias. The Lati twins provides your team with a nice speed boost and they're good checks to Rotom-W (who is kind of a bitch to take down) Landlos and even Terrakion in a pinch. They're also great Virizion checks (a pokemon who runs through your team if Scizor is slightly weakened) and they can check slower opposing Dragon types like Haxorus, Hydreigon, Dragonite etc

Latios @ Life Orb / Expert Belt
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Nature: Timid
- Draco Meteor
- Surf
- Hidden Power Fire
- Recover

or

Latias @ Leftovers
EVs: 176 HP / 80 SpA / 252 Spe
Nature: Timid
- Calm Mind
- Dragon Pulse
- Hidden Power Fire
- Recover

Hope I helped + Glad to see you trying out BW OU ;)

That tyranitar is standard and it does work alright but you could also opt for a more physical set and use a choice band to a similar effect while still keeping the special defensive bulk that tyranitar gets in sand. Something along the lines of:

Tyranitar (M) @ Choice Band
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 100 HP / 252 Atk / 156 SDef
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Stone Edge
- Superpower

Not sure if that ruins the sassy idea but it should definitely help in picking off lati@s and other psychics since that pursuit will really hurt.

I don't see much to add, but what I can do is reiterate on what was previously stated. If there was anything I could recommend it would be that if you run the CB T-tar, you're gonna wanna add the hazards onto ferrothorn. Giving it spikes and or stealth rocks instead of protect/leech seed would be very beneficial. Also, the Special defensive SD Scizor would solve many of you problems and the scarf Landorus would really come in handy in those tight spots vs the aforementioned dragons. And like said above, if you don't like the jellicent, a rapid spinning starmie wouldn't just be a good spinner, but would help you sweep in the later game as well.
~Best of luck to you, hope your teams work out.

I can't really find a main point of this team it seems like your trying to go defensive with no hazards. But your also going semi offensive with no sweepers. You need to find the happy medium so I'd either put Spikes on ferrothorn or get rid of him and put on Swords Dance Terrakion if you go with ferro then I'd get Stealth Rock set up going so put Stealth rock on Ferro too
Hopefully you figure it out.
Good Luck Hope I helped :]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)