Hippo Power!

Hippo Power!

Hello Ladies and Gentlemen :]. This is my most recent Ubers team that I’ve spend quite a bit of time working on. I wanted to make a sand team and I didn’t want to use T-Tar due to the fact that everyone, for the most part uses T-Tar for their Sand Team. Now I know T-Tar is generally superior to Hippowdon, but Hippo needs some love too :]. After many different “phases” of the team, this is the most current, and probably the finalized version of the team. I've also laddered with this team under two different alt on PO and hit around 1400 each time. Anyways, without further ado, let’s get into the team shall we?

HIPPOWDON
ABILITY: Sand Stream @ Leftovers
Impish- 252 HP/ 252 Def/ 4Sp.Def
Stealth Rock- Slack Off- Whirlwind- Earthquake​

Like I said at the very start of this RMT, I wanted to use Hippowdon and there are many good qualities that Hippo has. For one, he makes for a great physical wall, and has fewer weaknesses than T-Tar. Hippowdon’s bulk is also nothing to shy at, for it is one of the few pokes that can handle big threats such as Zekrom, E- Killer Arceus, and a poke that many other Sand teams struggle with; Excadrill. Here are just a few calcs to give you an idea of Hippo’s bulk:
252 +2 Atk Silk Scarf Arceus (+Atk) ExtremeSpeed vs 252 HP/252 Def Hippowdon (+Def) : 50% - 58.81%
252 +2 Atk Life Orb Arceus (+Atk) ExtremeSpeed vs 252 HP/252 Def Hippowdon (+Def) : 53.81% - 63.57%
252 +2 Atk Arceus (+Atk) ExtremeSpeed vs 252 HP/252 Def Hippowdon (+Def) : 41.43% - 48.81%
252 Atk Excadrill (+Atk) Earthquake vs 252 HP/252 Def Hippowdon (+Def) : 28.1% - 33.57%
252 +2 Atk Excadrill (+Atk) Earthquake vs 252 HP/252 Def Hippowdon (+Def) : 56.43% - 66.43%
252 +2 Atk Excadrill Earthquake vs 252 HP/252 Def Hippowdon (+Def) : 51.43% - 60.71%
252 Atk Choice Band Zekrom (+Atk) Outrage vs 252 HP/252 Def Hippowdon (+Def) : 54.52% - 64.52%

PALKIA
ABILITY: Pressure @ Haban Berry
Timid- 4 HP/ 252 Sp. Atk/ 252 Spd
Spacial Rend- Fire Blast- Hydro Pump- Thunder​

Palkia is probably one of the most powerful ubers out there. With a godly move pool, Palkia has everything it needs in order to function under any weather, and that is one of Palkia’s purposes on this team. Palkia is this team’s main check to Kyogre, who is very predominate in the teir, and not only that but helps tear holes in teams as well. Since most Palkias are choice locked in some way, it is rare to run into non- choiced Palkias. By using a Haban Berry, I am able to bluff a choice item and lure my opponent into bring in something that can resist the move I am “locked” into then surprise them that I am not.

CHANSEY
ABILITY: Natural Cure @ Eviolie
Calm- 4 HP/ 252 Def/ 252 Sp. Def
Softboiled- Wish- Seismic Toss- Toxic​

Chansey is on this team for one poke, and one poke only; White Kyurem. White Kyurem can tear this team apart at the seams, however, Chansey prevents. As always, Chansey is infamous for being that “pink blob” that never died, and she lives up to that reputation on this team as well. Not only that, but the defensive synergy between Chansey and Hippowdon is incredible, anything Chansey would not appreciate taking, Hippo can take with easy. She’s also helpful agents other Special based threats such as Palkia, Reshiram, Kyogre, Specially based Arceus forms, and Dialga to name a few.

EXCADRILL
ABILITY: Sand Rush @ Leftovers
Adamant- 252 Atk/ 118 Sp. Def/ 140 Spd
Swords Dance- Rapid Spin- Earthquake- Rock Slide​

I know this set might look a little different, but it works very well. The 140 in Speed allows me to out speed Timid Scarfed Palkia by 2 points and the 118 in Sp. Def give me a little extra bulk. Though the 118 Sp. Def might not seem like a lot, it allows me to always live an unboosted Focus Blast from leftovers a Darkria, baring Spikes being active. I needed a spinner on this team because hazards are a huge pain, especially Toxic spike, and with Excadrill having the ability to go on the offence and having EdgeQuake coverage, I thought he would make a great addition to the team.

ARCEUS- GHOST
ABILITY: Multitype @ Spooky Plate
Timid- 252 HP/ 4 Sp. Atk/ 252 Spd
Calm Mind- Recover- Judgment- Focus Blast​

Good old Arceus- Ghost. In case Excadrill goes down, He does make for a good back up set-up sweeper. His main purpose on this team is to spin block mainly. I use to have Giratina- A here, but he just didn’t have the same synergy that Arceus- Ghost provides for the team.

HO- OH
ABILITY: Regenerator @ Leftovers
Impish- 224 HP/ 180 Def/ 96 Sp. Def/ 8 Spd
Recover- Substitute- Sacred Fire- Brave Bird​

I spent a lot of time creating this Ho- Oh spread. In one of my older versions of this team, I saw a large Mewtwo problem (which all teams have) so I began to look into a poke which could “handle” Mewtwo however, due to its new gift that is Psystrike, nothing is safe anymore. However, this Ho-Oh spread is designed to handle Mewtwo and not only that but to give this team some help with Sun teams as well. Timid LO Mewtwo’s Psystrike to this spread of Ho-Oh is a 2-3HKO to this spread and not only that, it resists, or takes neutral from Mewtwo’s other coverage moves too. This Ho-Oh, like I said before is also helpful for taking on Sun teams as well. The 8 Spd EVs are there to out speed Groudon’s w/ 4 Spd EVs and other base 90 Spd pokes without Speed investment, or 4 EVs only. This Ho-oh set also fares well agents other Ho- Ohs too. Adamant Max Atk Leftovers Ho- Oh’s Brave Bird is always 3HKO on this spread. Also, this set helps with Excadrills that lack Rock Slide.

Well that is that! Just some threats that normally give this team some problem
Mixed DD Quaza
Mewtwo
Kabutops (In rain)
Arceus: Dark/ Electric
Omastar (In Rain)
Soul Dew Lati@s
Victini (rare but a problem none the less)
Mixed Black Kyurem​

EXPORT:

Hippowdon (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Stealth Rock
- Whirlwind
- Slack Off
- Earthquake

Palkia @ Haban Berry
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 212 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Spacial Rend
- Fire Blast
- Hydro Pump
- Thunder

Chansey (F) @ Eviolite
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SDef
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Softboiled
- Wish
- Seismic Toss
- Toxic

Excadrill (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 64 SDef / 192 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Swords Dance
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide

Arceus (Arceus-Ghost) @ Spooky Plate
Trait: Multitype
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Recover
- Calm Mind
- Judgment
- Focus Blast

Ho-Oh @ Leftovers
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 224 HP / 180 Def / 96 SDef / 8 Spd
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Substitute
- Recover
- Sacred Fire
- Brave Bird

It's nice to see another Hippowdon lover as well! But, there is one thing to point out.

Chansey has Softboiled+Wish, which I see as a slight problem. In some situations, Chansey is low enough for the opponent to attack knock her out and you casted a Wish, you can't obtain it. If you had Protect instead of Softboiled, it will grant you a Wish automatically, also can help do a bit of scouting.

This is really the only problem I see, nice team overall!

The problem with Chansey is:

252SpAtk Choice Specs Turboblaze Kyurem White (+SAtk) Focus Blast vs 4HP/252SpDef Eviolite Chansey (+SpDef): 38% - 45% (246 - 290 HP). Guaranteed 3HKO.

Since you'll be switching in on Kyurem-W, after SR and a turn of sandstorm, you'll live with under 6% assuming two minimum damage rolls, which is arguably rarer than two Focus Blast hits in a row. Of course you can switch to Ghostceus, but the next time you switch in you can't take even a Draco Meteor:

252SpAtk Choice Specs Turboblaze Kyurem White (+SAtk) Draco Meteor in Sandstorm vs 4HP/252SpDef Eviolite Chansey (+SpDef): 33% - 39% (214 - 253 HP). Guaranteed 3HKO.

38%+12.5%+6.25%+33%+12.5%+6.25%=108.5%

If you're going to use Protect > Softboiled, Blissey does better, since you'll take SS damage when Protecting.

I was also going to mention Arceus-Dark, but I saw it in threatlist.

Also please change Exca's description to "outspeed Jolly Scarfed Terrakion by 1 point" because that's what it's supposed to do.

Also remove Victini from threatlist:

252Atk Victini (Neutral) V-create in Sandstorm vs 252HP/252Def Hippowdon (+Def): 37% - 44% (157 - 186 HP). Guaranteed 3HKO.

and that's stronger than its HP Ice which does:

4SpAtk Victini (Neutral) Hidden Power (Ice) in Sandstorm vs 252HP/4SpDef Hippowdon (Neutral): 31% - 37% (132 - 156 HP). Guaranteed 4HKO.

Also please change Exca's description to "outspeed Jolly Scarfed Terrakion by 1 point" because that's what it's supposed to do.

I'm not to worried about Terrakion since most of them in Ubers are scarfed. If it locks itself into Stone Edge then I have Hippo and CC I can go into Arceus Ghost. I actually had enough Speed EVs in Exca in the very first version of the team out out speed Terra, but seeing how a CC to Hippo from a Jolly Scarfed Terra does at most 35%, I'm not worried too much. And again, the EVs are there to out pace Timid Scarfed Palkia, this is a "custom" set.

252SpAtk Choice Specs Turboblaze Kyurem White (+SAtk) Draco Meteor in Sandstorm vs 4HP/252SpDef Eviolite Chansey (+SpDef): 33% - 39% (214 - 253 HP). Guaranteed 3HKO.
252 SpAtk Choice Specs Kyurem-W (+SpAtk) Focus Blast vs 252 HP/252 SpDef Blissey (+SpDef) : 42.86% - 50.7%

And this is why I use Chansey over Blissey. Again, it it really comes down to seeing what it locks itself into, then I can bring in something to resists it or is immune to it. Also, Wish + Softboiled has won me the battle more then once. Also, protect gives people to bring in something for free.

252Atk Victini (Neutral) V-create in Sandstorm vs 252HP/252Def Hippowdon (+Def): 37% - 44% (157 - 186 HP). Guaranteed 3HKO.

and that's stronger than its HP Ice which does:

4SpAtk Victini (Neutral) Hidden Power (Ice) in Sandstorm vs 252HP/4SpDef Hippowdon (Neutral): 31% - 37% (132 - 156 HP). Guaranteed 4HKO.
252 Atk Choice Band Victini (+Atk) V-create vs 252 HP/252 Def Hippowdon (+Def) : 61.67% - 72.86%

This is the most problematic set, since all I ever see to run into in ubers is CB Victini, but if it's not CB then its not a problem.

I'm not to worried about Terrakion since most of them in Ubers are scarfed. If it locks itself into Stone Edge then I have Hippo and CC I can go into Arceus Ghost. I actually had enough Speed EVs in Exca in the very first version of the team out out speed Terra, but seeing how a CC to Hippo from a Jolly Scarfed Terra does at most 35%, I'm not worried too much. And again, the EVs are there to out pace Timid Scarfed Palkia, this is a "custom" set.

252 SpAtk Choice Specs Kyurem-W (+SpAtk) Focus Blast vs 252 HP/252 SpDef Blissey (+SpDef) : 42.86% - 50.7%

And this is why I use Chansey over Blissey. Again, it it really comes down to seeing what it locks itself into, then I can bring in something to resists it or is immune to it. Also, Wish + Softboiled has won me the battle more then once. Also, protect gives people to bring in something for free.

252 Atk Choice Band Victini (+Atk) V-create vs 252 HP/252 Def Hippowdon (+Def) : 61.67% - 72.86%

This is the most problematic set, since all I ever see to run into in ubers is CB Victini, but if it's not CB then its not a problem.
CB Victini isn't common lol, that's prolly because u only ran into one user of Victini, also btw if you dont care abt terrakion remove 52 EVs from speed to SDef.

my point is that chansey isn't more reliable than blissey is

EDIT: dude 140 EVs is enough to outspeed scarfkia

Clearly you missed what I am trying to out speed. I out speed TIMID SCARFED PALKIA! and the140 Spd EVs let me do that. Scarfed Terrakion still out speeds me

This team is really fun to use, haha. I did initially doubt the random-seeming EVspread for Exca, but those SpDefs have saved me so many times! :]

Hey there, this is a pretty good team. One thing that stands out is Chansey. I have the feeling that it just really doesn't fit into the team, completely killing your momentum and being easy to force out. In its place, I would recommend running Rock Arceus. Rock arceus is arguably the best counter to Kyurem W (in the sand) and also helps with lots of other threats I can see your team struggling with such as E-killer arceus and Ho-oh.

Obviously you would have to replace ghost-ceus but this can be solved by using giratina-O who also somewhat aleviates your mewtwo weakness.

Here are the sets:

Areceus @stone plate
Trait: Multitype
EVs: 252 HP, 4 SpA, 252 Spe
Timid
-Calm Mind
-Judgement
-Recover
-Will-o-Wisp

Giratina-O @Griseous Orb
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP, 252 Atk, 4 Spe
-Outrage
-Shadow Sneak
-Dragon Tail
-Earthquake

Hope I helped, good luck :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)