move 2: Earthquake
move 3: Slack Off
move 4: Toxic / Whirlwind
item: Leftovers / Rocky Helmet
ability: Sand Stream
nature: Careful
evs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Def

[SET COMMENTS]
Hippowdon's good typing, great bulk, and access to Stealth Rock's makes it one of the best mixed walls in OU. Stealth Rocks allows Hippowdon to support it's team through entry hazard support, which in combination with sand can quickly wear opposing teams down. Earthquake prevents Hippowdon from being completely passive and is able to threaten Pokemon such as Excadrill and Zeraora. Slack Off gives Hippowdon extra longetivity letting it check the Pokemon it needs to consistently through a match. Toxic allows Hippowdon to cripple potential switch-ins such as Tangrowth, Togekiss, and Rillaboom; while Whirlwind is able to prevent Pokemon such as Bulk Up Urshifu or Calm Mind Clefable that are not threatened by Hippowdon from setting up, along with accumulating entry hazard damage. Rock Slide is a niche option to punish Volcarona if it attempts to switch-in or set up on Hippowdon. Leftovers provides passive recovery while alternatively Rocky Helmet can wear down opposing physical attackers such as Zeraora and Urshifu and punish U-turn. Sand Force is an alternative ability if your own team is punished by sand more than the opposing team. This Hippowdon set maximizes it's special defense in order to better check Pokemon such as Rotom-H, Aegislash, and Gengar.

Hippowdon fits best on bulky offense or balance teams due to its passivity. Pokemon such as Corviknight and Skarmory make for good partners, checking Grass-types such as Rillaboom and Tangrowth along with Fairy types such as Togekiss and Clefable that Hippowdon struggles against, while Hippowdon is able to cover for Pokemon they are susceptible to, such as Zeraora, Toxtricity, and Magnezone. Regenerator Pokemon such as Toxapex, which can check Pokemon such as Primarina, Calm Mind Clefable, and Safeguard Volcarona that use Hippowdon as set up fodder; and Tangrowth, which can handle Grass and Water-types that Hippowdon struggles against like Rillaboom and Azumarill, form a good defensive core in tandem with Hippowdon. Sand Rush Excadrill is a fantastic partner for Hippowdon as Hippowdon is able to boost it's speed thanks to Sand Stream, making it extremely threatening to offensive teams while also being able to threaten Pokemon such as Togekiss and Clefable that Hippowdon invites in.

[CREDITS]
- Written by: [[Urushifu, 522724]]
- Quality checked by: [[username1, userid1], [username2, userid2]]
- Grammar checked by: [[username1, userid1]]

Last edited:

ShootingStarmie

Bulletproof
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
AM Check
name: Specially Defensive
move 1: Stealth Rock
move 2: Earthquake
move 3: Slack Off
move 4: Toxic / Whirlwind
item: Leftovers / Rocky Helmet
ability: Sand Stream
nature: Careful
evs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Def

[SET COMMENTS]
Hippowdon's good typing, great bulk, and access to Stealth Rock's makes it one of the best mixed walls in OU. Stealth Rocks allows Hippowdon to support it's team through entry hazard support, which in combination with sand can quickly wear opposing teams down. Earthquake prevents Hippowdon from being completely passive and is able to threaten Pokemon such as Excadrill and Zeraora. Slack Off gives Hippowdon extra longetivity letting it check the Pokemon it needs to consistently through a match (maybe provide examples here, like the afromentioned Excadrill and Zeraora). Toxic allows Hippowdon to cripple potential switch-ins such as Tangrowth, Togekiss, and Rillaboom; while Whirlwind is able to prevent Pokemon such as Bulk Up Urshifu or Calm Mind Clefable that are not threatened by Hippowdon from setting up, along with accumulating entry hazard damage. Superpower (I don't think Superpower is worth a mention personally, so I'd cut this) or Rock Slide are also niche options to punish pokemon such as Crawdaunt and Volcarona who attempt to switch-in or set up on Hippowdon. Leftovers provides passive recovery while alternatively Rocky Helmet can wear down opposing physical attackers such as Zeraora and Urshifu and punish U-turn. Sand Force is an alternative ability if your own team is punished by sand more than the opposing team. This Hippowdon set maximizes it's special defense in order to better check Pokemon such as Rotom-H, Aegislash, and Gengar.

Hippowdon fits best on bulky offense or balance teams due to its passivity (this sounds more like a negative than a positive, I'd instead change this to "bulk and reliable recovery"). Pokemon such as Corviknight and Skarmory make for good partners, checking Grass-types such as Rillaboom and Tangrowth along with Fairy types such as Togekiss and Clefable that Hippowdon struggles against, while Hippowdon is able to cover for Pokemon they are susceptible to, such as Zeraora, Toxtricity, and Magnezone. Tangrowth and Toxapex are Regenerator Pokemon that can form a defensive core with Hippowdon, with the former being able to check Pokemon such as Primarina, Calm Mind Clefable, and Safeguard Volcarona (this implies Tangrowth can check these Pokemon, which isn't true, so I'd change the wording or examples here) that can use Hippowdon as set up fodder, and the latter being able to handle Grass and Water-types that Hippowdon struggles against like Rillaboom and Azumarill (I think you may have got "former" and "latter" confused here, or switched around unintentionally, but this section doesn't make sense. In the given context, former = Tangrowth, and latter = Toxapex). Sand Rush Excadrill is a fantastic partner for Hippowdon as Hippowdon is able to boost it's speed thanks to Sand Stream, making it extremely threatening to offensive teams while also being able to threaten Pokemon such as Togekiss and Clefable that Hippowdon invites in.

(I personally think PhysDef Hippowdon deserves to have a set, but I'd check with QC team before writing one up)

[CREDITS]
- Written by: [[Urushifu, 522724]]
- Quality checked by: [[username1, userid1], [username2, userid2]]
- Grammar checked by: [[username1, userid1]]
This looks good, nice work. Hope you find my comments somewhat helpful :smogduck:

Urushifu

Banned deucer.
hey thanks alot. I cut superpower and implemented most of these, just didn't mention Excadrill/Zeraora in the first suggestion cuz didn't wanna be repetitive. I was told to make the set Spdef, but if a physdef set is also needed i can write it up.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)