SM UU Hippowdon Anti-Turn

With VoltTurn's increasing prevalence and domination of UU, I've been trying to make a team that is strong against that archetype, as well as standing up as a team on its own.

Team:

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Def / 176 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Slack Off
- Toxic

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 200 Def / 60 Spe
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Magneton @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Scizor @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Superpower
- Pursuit

Latias @ Dragonium Z
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Draco Meteor
- Psychic
- Recover

Sharpedo @ Sharpedonite
Ability: Speed Boost
Adamant Nature
- Protect
- Crunch
- Waterfall
- Ice Fang

Explanation of team building process
I wanted to begin with mixed wall Hippowdon, as reliable Rocks, Toxic and Sand. With only 7 guaranteed OHKOs against him (and only Celebi being a decent lead), at least 2 of those are going up. Hippo is a good defensive pivot, and bulky lead, though he often allows for set-up sweepers to get a free turn or two.

Rotom-Wash was the next choice, as its ability to put pressure on physical sweepers, as well as bulky water-types and ground-types that can't kill it first turn. It's diversity makes it a good pivot, and I find it holds its weight.

From there, I had quite a weakness to Empoleon and Forretress, as Defog and Spin makes Hippo fairly useless, but in particular, Scizor was a problem, as its choice banded U-turns, and Bullet punches made for punching quite a few holes. Magneton was a pretty obvious choice for me. I ended up with Choice Scarf over Choice Specs because I decided that Superpower Scizor was too much of a threat, much less my fear of it U-turning out before I could hit it, and I wanted the ability to get some cheeky damage on Fairy types if I had no other switch-outs.

Scizor is a powerhouse, a good sweeper, and with its inclusion, I have set up a rudimentary VoltTurn core of my own, though I find myself Pursuit Trapping and BP sweeping more often.

Latias was then picked as a wall breaker, over Hydreigon. I really liked the idea of outspeeding opposing Dragon-Types, and Devastating Drake was too good not to pass up. I originally had Mega-Lat, but opted for standard to make room for

Mega-Shapedo. I chose him last because it was my own defense against faster pokemon. As a clean-up crew, It is one of the only defenses I have against Mega-Bee, Mega-Scep, and Scarf mons. I ended up with Ice Fang specifically for Mega-Scep, though I've found it more reliable to kill Gliscor, and a few unnotable others.

My goal is to start with Hippo or Rotom-Wash, shut down cores, and clean up with Scizor or Mega-Shark. It isn't any more complicated than that

Weaknesses:
I have quite a few. Celebi is a notable weakness, as is Mega Scep. Hard hitting Specs users like Primarina and Volcanion are also problematic. But, those could all be fine, and I'm playing poorly. However, I'd like to be aware of other issues as well, especially ones I'm not considering.

Any and all suggestions are welcome =]

Cynde

toasty
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
hey man it's missa worlwide comin at ya with a hot rate.

this team be hella weak to hp fire latias. and u need to fix that ASAP. in order to do that i'd recommend using empoleon instead of magneton. this patches up problems ur team would definitely have against primarina and non electric latias sets, nihilego etc. it also gives you hazard control which means you don't get fucked over by spikes and stuff which is great, and it maintains an answer to klefki however it does not provide a great way to remove it, which i will remedy in my next couple of changes. run scald / defog / protect or knock off / toxic

and instead of roost on lati i think you could run hp fire on latias in order to lure magneton and klefki now that magneton has been replaced. you could also try a set of occa sd u turn superpower on scizor which i think will give u a lot more flexibility against lati / coba teams that ur team currently does. in addition to this you won't be losing scizor to hp fire from magneton / lati / mega sceptile and such which would be nice. superpower is important here because you won't be set up fodder for opposing scizor or cobalion.

hippowdon needs whirlwind. toxic means ur set up fodder for sub gliscor, fat scizor etc etc, not a fun time in short. you also want 112 def so u don't lose to aqua tail aero you can also be flexible with the rotom set, like toxic would help you lure conventional rotom wash answers like mega latias, seismitoad etc while also helping with other rotom, even twave might be nice to provide some speed control for your team and would give scizor an easier time against latias. regardless bump up your speed to 88 so you can outpace max speed daunt and max speed adamant scizor.

if you want to be less rotom wash weak i'd just run mega sceptile instead of your mega sharpedo, it makes sure ur team isn't too slow, has a good way to punish bulky waters now that lati is cm 3 atks (rotom wash sucks ass at this) and prevents rotom wash from gaining any momentum vs you and it'll improve your match up against offence and stuff in general.

I adore these suggestions. I'm assuming the Empoleon is Max SpDef, 248 HP, 8 SpAtk? The Empoleon Change is good regardless, I barely notice the difference between it and Mag in the team besides its upsides. HP Fire on Lati has been excellent for punishing Scizor Switches as well. I ended up adding T-wave over Pain Split, as I thought the speed control was much more effective than Toxic ended up being. I also ended up switching Shark for Scept -- and I'm currently trying out Sub vs AoA. I really wanted to keep Band Scizor, but inevitably I kept losing to stall, so it is SD Scizor as well, but with Lum. Scald burns just too many times. I might end up switching to Occa eventually. I'll keep the post updated.

New team for anyone who wants to know
Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 112 Def / 144 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Slack Off
- Whirlwind

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 172 Def / 88 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Thunder Wave

Empoleon @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Defog
- Knock Off
- Protect

Scizor @ Lum Berry
Ability: Technician
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
- U-turn

Latias @ Dragonium Z
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Draco Meteor
- Psychic
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Sceptile @ Sceptilite
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Giga Drain
- Leaf Storm
- Dragon Pulse
- Focus Blast

Thank you Cynde

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)