Hitmonchan (GP 2/2)

[Overview]

<p>In a tier filled with many viable Fighting-type Pokemon, Hitmonchan struggles to stand out. Hitmonchan often finds itself weaker, slower, or frailer than other Fighting-types, and in some cases all three. It is also flawed as a Rapid Spin user, as it cannot handle spinblockers very well unlike the usually superior option, Kabutops. Hitmonchan also doesn't have any tricks up its sleeve to get past Psychic- and Ghost-types like some other Fighting-types; with these things in mind, it might seem like Hitmonchan has nothing going for it.</p>

<p>Despite generally lacking in stats, and to an extent in movepool, Hitmonchan does have a small niche provided by Iron Fist. It has access to a very wide array of punching moves, including the rare Mach Punch and the elemental punches, a trait only shared by Gurdurr. Due to this, its coverage moves hit harder than its competition, and Mach Punch, a move most other Fighting-types lack, can revenge kill a large number of threats, especially those that are weak to it. Overall, always consider your other options before using Hitmonchan, but don't discount it completely, as it might be just what you are looking for.</p>

[SET]
name: Life Orb
move 1: Drain Punch / Close Combat
move 2: Mach Punch
move 3: ThunderPunch
move 4: Ice Punch / Rapid Spin
item: Life Orb
ability: Iron Fist
nature: Adamant
evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>A simple offensive set is the best way to utilize Hitmonchan. Although it might not look very unique at first, access to Iron Fist, a plethora of punching moves that get boosted by said ability, and priority in Mach Punch give it all the advantages that it needs and somewhat make up for its inferior power. Without Psychic- and Ghost-types, Hitmonchan is surprisingly difficult to wall, so it can serve as an effective wallbreaker with its good coverage while keeping faster Pokemon in check with Mach Punch. Drain Punch is the preferred STAB option, as it gets boosted by Iron Fist, making it reach decent levels of power while simultaneously healing off damage taken from Life Orb. Alternatively, Close Combat can be used, as even factoring in Iron Fist it is stronger than Drain Punch. Mach Punch is an important move for Hitmonchan, as it is one of the few Pokemon that can learn the move, allowing it to finish off or revenge kill foes weak to it; for example, it almost always OHKOes Sawsbuck and Crawdaunt after Stealth Rock damage. ThunderPunch allows Hitmonchan to 2HKO bulky Water-types, such as Poliwrath and Slowking, and it can also hit Flying-types hard on the switch. Ice Punch is preferred for the final slot, getting good coverage with ThunderPunch to form a pseudo BoltBeam combination and hitting Pokemon such as Tangrowth, Druddigon, and Amoonguss for super effective damage. However, Hitmonchan could instead use Rapid Spin in this slot, as it allows Hitmonchan to rid the field of hazards, though this is at the expense of losing coverage. Keep in mind though that it loses to all relevant spinblockers, so only use it in case space cannot be made on your team for the few other Rapid Spin users in the tier and Hitmonchan's other traits are needed.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Hitmonchan should always run maximum Attack and Speed with an Adamant nature, as it needs all the power it can get and needs to outpace Absol, as Mach Punch will then make Sucker Punch fail, which can do a lot of damage despite the resistance it has. A Life Orb is preferred simply because it offers more power, and Drain Punch mitigates the recoil damage from the item anyways. Fire Punch can be used over one of Hitmonchan's coverage moves, and is notable for getting past Bug-types such as Escavalier and Galvantula, but space is fairly limited on this set and Fire Punch doesn't offer as much offensive coverage as the other moves that Hitmonchan typically uses.</p>

<p>Like almost every other Fighting-type in the metagame, Hitmonchan struggles a lot against Ghost- and Psychic-type Pokemon, having nothing in its movepool that can be used to defeat them reliably. Due to this, Pursuit support from the likes of Absol, Spiritomb, and Escavalier is a good idea, as it can trap them or hit them with a stronger move if they decide to stay in. In addition, if Ghost-types are eliminated, Hitmonchan can use Rapid Spin more freely. If Hitmonchan is running Rapid Spin, Fire-types, such as Moltres and Entei, also make good partners, as they appreciate the lack of entry hazards on the field and can switch into Will-O-Wisps from the Ghost-types that carry them. They also offer the ability to destroy said Ghost-types as well as the Bug-types that resist Hitmonchan's STAB moves. Hitmonchan is easily taken out by STAB Flying-type moves from the likes of Moltres and Sigilyph, making Lanturn a good partner since it resists Flying and has the bulk to take all their other moves, while Heal Bell can cure Hitmonchan of troubling statuses, most of which severely cripple Hitmonchan. Although Archeops stands a chance at beating Lanturn with Earthquake, Hitmonchan can hit Archeops hard with any of its moves, so the likelihood of one directly threatening Hitmonchan is rare.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Most of what Hitmonchan has access to is outclassed by something else. Hitmonchan can run a set with Rapid Spin and Foresight, guaranteeing a spin. However, such a set has numerous problems: Hitmonchan lacks good resistances, has a mediocre physical bulk even when invested, does poorly against Ghost-types already, and most Ghost-types are unable to defeat Kabutops, another Rapid Spin user. Hitmonchan learns Agility, which can allow it to sweep late-game, but Hitmonlee has a much easier time doubling its Speed thanks to Unburden, which allows it to attack and set up in the same turn. SubPunch is an interesting option on Hitmonchan, considering Focus Punch is boosted via Iron Fist, raising the power of the move to near-unmatched levels, but there are not very many cases where Hitmonchan will be able to keep the Substitute up, and it doesn't beat any additional Pokemon with Focus Punch. Bulk Up is mostly outclassed by Gallade due to higher stats in almost every area; although Mach Punch gives Hitmonchan a slight advantage, it is not enough to make it worth using over Gallade. Stone Edge can nail Flying-types a bit harder than ThunderPunch while also hitting Fire-types hard, but Hitmonchan already either easily defeats or flat-out loses to all of the Flying-types in RU, and Stone Edge does not alleviate this fact. Hi Jump Kick is stronger than even Close Combat, but the side effect is very undesirable, and it isn't that much more powerful. Finally, Hitmonchan has access to Bullet Punch and Fake Out, but Bullet Punch has redundant coverage with Mach Punch, and Fake Out can become a waste of space considering that its damage output is fairly low.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p> Just like other Fighting-types, Hitmonchan struggles against Ghost-type Pokemon such as Misdreavus and Rotom, which are immune to Hitmonchan's Fighting moves, can burn it with Will-O-Wisp, and then proceed to wear it down with repeated Shadow Balls. Psychic-types, such as Uxie or Mesprit, are similar cases, since even though they are not immune to Fighting-moves, they still do not take very much damage from them and can hit Hitmonchan hard with their STAB. Flying-types, such as Sigilyph, Moltres, and Scyther, can outspeed and OHKO Hitmonchan with their super effective STAB moves and switch into Fighting moves with ease, but they must watch out for ThunderPunch and Ice Punch. Durant and Galvantula are not weak to anything Hitmonchan commonly carries and can deal a lot of damage with Thunder and Iron Head, respectively, though both must watch out for the rare Fire Punch. Finally, in a general sense, Hitmonchan's stats can work against it in one-on-one situations. Generally, if the foe is a strong physical attacker, is not weak to Mach Punch, and is faster than Hitmonchan, there is a very good chance that the Pokemon can do massive damage to if not OHKO Hitmonchan, with examples including Entei, Gallade, and Choice Scarf Emboar.</p>

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Just going to point out that Magic Coat should be removed from Hitmonchan's other options, Magic Coat being listed on its DPP moves page is actually an error and Hitmonchan cant learn Magic Coat via any means. Ive checked on Bulbapedia and Serebii to confirm this.

august

you’re a voice that never sings
is a Community Leaderis a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis the 8th Smogon Classic Winnerwon the 5th Official Smogon Tournamentis a Five-Time Past WCoP Champion
OGC Leader
you are definitely going to want drain punch over close combat... while close combat is a little stronger even with iron fist factored in, the HP recovery really helps hitmonchan stay alive longer which is pretty important since its rather frail. also i like rapid spin as the 4th move on any hitmonchan because spinning in RU is pretty hard to come by outside of tops / cryo.. ghosts are gonna be annoying to chan without foresight anyway. if anyone disagrees with slashing rapid spin on mach punch i will gladly reassess my thought process but for now i full support spin slashed..

I think that an agility + 3 attacks set could work. The moves would be close combat, ice punch and thunder punch. This set is different than the life orb set because it cannot be revenge killed very easily after an agility and mach punch isn't needed to revenge kill faster foes. this set is best used as a late game cleaner. However, setting up an agility can be hard. Agility should at least get an other options mention since its hitmonchan's only way to boost its speed.

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I think that an agility + 3 attacks set could work. The moves would be close combat, ice punch and thunder punch. This set is different than the life orb set because it cannot be revenge killed very easily after an agility and mach punch isn't needed to revenge kill faster foes. this set is best used as a late game cleaner. However, setting up an agility can be hard. Agility should at least get an other options mention since its hitmonchan's only way to boost its speed.
Totally agreeing that Agility Hitmonchan should get at least an OO mention, it looks pretty solid on paper, being somewhat similar to Unburden Hitmonlee but having some extra bulk and coverage options to help it stand out when compared to its counterpart. Silentverse mentioned earlier that he thinks Agilitychan might even deserve a full set of its own, so i'm probably going to playtest it a bit and see how it does.

Also agreeing that Drain Punch should probably be slashed with Close Combat on both the Life Orb and the possible Agility set if it ends up being worthy of a full set. While it isnt as strong as Close Combat, Iron Fist still bolsters it to an acceptable base power and the recovery is invaluable in most cases, definitely worthy of a slash in my opinion. Im not sure if Rapid Spin really needs to be slashed with Mach Punch, because in my opinion one of the main reasons to use Hitmonchan in the first place is the Iron Fist boosted Mach Punch, but i'd be open to giving it an AC mention.

Alright, I've added Agility to OO (If it deserves a set then yeah It'll get a set - I completely forgot it had the move), slashed Rapid Spin with Ice Punch (I don't see myself using Ice Punch as much as other moves - if it needs an AC mention only I'll move it there, but its powerful Mach Punch is honestly the only reason I use it so I'm not slashing that), slashed Drain Punch over Close Combat (and moved it out of AC), and got rid of Magic Coat.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
I would honestly just slash Agility next to Mach Punch. I tried out the Agility set and didn't find myself using it very much and was mostly playing it as a mid-game wallbreaker.

SV thinks it deserves its own set, I'll let him post that. But imo you should just go ahead and fill out the rest of the skeleton and we'll stamp it asap.

Okay this is FINALLY ready for QC checks. Sorry - I completely forgot about this.

Anyhow, I am hesitant on slashing Agility with Mach Punch. It's not that I think Agility sucks, but its mainly that the two sets would play completely differently. I either am going to make it a separate set or OO it - Mach Punch Hitmonchan (wallbreaker/revenge killer) is just too different from Agility Hitmonchan (late game sweeper) to combine the two.

[Overview]

• Needs to be toned down. There is rarely a good reason to use Hitmonchan over other Fighting-types. You should probably start off the analysis with something like that.
  • It's bad at spinning - even if it runs Foresight that greatly hinders its coverage.
  • The only thing that Hitmonchan has over most other Fighting-types is Mach Punch.

[Life Orb]

• Mention that Ice Punch hits Druddigon and Amoonguss.
  • Fire Punch is good to catch Escavalier off guard.
  • The alternative spread of 40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spe is unnecessary. Hitmonchan should always be using enough Speed to outrun Absol.
  • Mention Escavalier instead of Drapion for taking out Psychic-types and for Pursuit.

The rest looks fine

[qc]1/3[/qc]

Molk

Godlike Usmash
Spiritomb should be added to the section on Pursuit support as well in my opinion, its one of the best Pursuit users in the tier and it should definitely get a mention.

Otherwise this looks pretty good

QC Approved 2/3

Oglemi

Borf
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Rapid Spinner is not a word, use spinner or Rapid Spin user

it's ThunderPunch

Attack and Speed should be capitalized in AC

it's Will-O-Wisp

you should describe Hitmonchan's role on the team; it's a wallbreaker that can hit quite a large array of Pokemon for a decent amount of damage, opening the way for something else to sweep. It's the fact that Hitmonchan is very easy to wall with certain pokes, like defensive Spiritomb or Uxie, that makes it a poor Pokemon in the metagame for the most part. Though for most teams lacking one of his solid counters he can be kinda tough to switch into and is hard to actually revenge kill with most Scarf users or fast mons like Cinccino, Aero, and Archeops cuz of Mach Punch

[qc]3/3[/qc]

Arkian

this is the state of grace
is a Contributor Alumnus
Amcheck :)
ADD
REMOVE
COMMENT

[Overview]

<p>In a tier filled with many viable Fighting-type Pokemon, Hitmonchan struggles to stand out. In many cases, Hitmonchan often finds itself weaker, slower, or frailer than other Figthing-types, and in some cases, it finds itslef lacking in all three. As a Rapid Spin user, it is also flawed, as it cannot defeat handle spinblockers very well, (AC) unlike the usually superior option, Kabutops and there are usually much better options such as Kabutops that are capable of taking them on. Hitmonchan also doesn't have any tricks up its sleeve to get past Psychic- and Ghost-types like some other Fighting-types, and with these things in mind, it may seem that like Hitmonchan has nothing going for it.</p>

<p>Despite generally lacking in stats, and to an extent, in movepool, Hitmonchan does hasve a small niche provided by Iron Fist. It has a very wide array of punching moves, including the rare Mach Punch and the elemental punches, a trait only shared by Gurdurr. Due to this, its coverage moves can hit harder than its competition, and Mach Punch can revenge kill threats that are weak to the move, a thing quality other Fighting-types simply don't have cannot do. Overall, always consider your other options before using Hitmonchan, but don't discount it completely, as it may be just what you are looking for.</p>

[SET]
Move 1: Drain Punch / Close Combat

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>A simple offensive set is the best way to utilize Hitmonchan. Although it may not look very unique at first, access to Iron Fist, a plethora of punching moves that get boosted by the said ability, and priority in Mach Punch give it all the advantages that it needs and somewhat makes up for its inferior power. Without Psychic- and Ghost-types, Hitmonchan is surprisingly difficult to wall, and it can therefore serve as an effective wallbreaker with its good coverage, while keeping faster Pokemon in check with Mach Punch. Drain Punch is the preferred STAB option, as it gets boosted by Iron Fist, making it reach decent levels of power, while simultaneously healing damage taken from its Life Orb. Alternatively, Close Combat could be used, as even factoring in Iron Fist it is stronger than Drain Punch is. Mach Punch is an important move for Hitmonchan, as it is one of the only few Pokemon that can learn the move, and with it, it can finish off or revenge kill foes weak to the move. (RP); (Semicolon) Ffor example, it almost always OHKOs Sawsbuck and Crawdaunt after Stealth Rock damage. ThunderPunch allows Hitmonchan to 2HKO bulky waters such as Poliwrath and Slowking, and it can also hit Flying-types hard on the switch. Ice Punch is preferred for the final slot, getting good coverage with ThunderPunch to form a pseudo "BoltBeam" combination, and it also gets to hit Pokemon such as Tangrowth, Druddigon, and Amoonguss for lot of super effective damage. However, Hitmonchan could instead use Rapid Spin in this slot, because as it allows Hitmonchan to rid the field of hazards, at the expense of losing coverage. Keep in mind although, (AC) it loses to all relevant spinblockers,Rapid Spin is still a fairly rare move. so only use it Iin case space cannot be made on your team for the few other Rapid Spinners in the tier and Hitmonchan's other traits are needed, Hitmonchan could provide both.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Hitmonchan should always run maximum Attack and Speed with an Adamant nature, as it needs all the power it can get and Hitmonchan should always try to outpace Absol, as then Mach Punch will then make Sucker Punch fail, which can do a lot of damage despite the resistance it has. A Life Orb is preferred simply because it offers more power, and Drain Punch mitigates the recoil damage from the item anyways well. Fire Punch can be used over one of Hitmonchan's coverage moves, and is notable for getting past Bug-types such as Escavalier and Galvantula, but space is fairly limited on this set and Fire Punch doesn't offer as much offensive coverage as the other moves that Hitmonchan typically uses.</p>

<p>Like almost every other Fighting-type in the metagame, Hitmonchan struggles a lot against Ghost- and Psychic-type Pokemon, and it has nothing in its movepool that can be used to defeat them reliably. Due to this, Pursuit support from the likes of Absol, Spiritomb, and Esavalier is a good idea, as it can threaten trap them, (AC) with Pursuit or hit them with a stronger move if they decide to stay in. In addition, if Ghost-types are eliminated, Hitmonchan can use Rapid Spin more freely in case it has decided to run the move. Due to Rapid Spin, Fire-types such as Moltres and Entei also make good partners, as they appreciate the lack of entry hazards such as Stealth Rock on the field, and can switch into Will-O-Wisps from the Ghost-types that carry them, and most are also powerful enough to KO the Ghost-types. They also hit Bug-types, which resist Fighting, for a lot of damage. Hitmonchan is easily taken out by STAB Flying moves from the likes of Moltres and Sigilyph, and due to this, Lanturn makes a good partner, resisting Flying and having the bulk to take all their other moves, while Heal Bell can cure Hitmonchan of troubling statuses, most of which severely limit Hitmonchan. Although Archeops stands a chance at beating Lanturn with Earthquake, as Hitmonchan can hit Archeops hard with allny of its moves, the likely(space)hood of one directly threatening Hitmonchan is rare. In my opinion, this sentence really shouldn't be here.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Most of what Hitmonchan has access to is outclassed by something else. Hitmonchan can run a set with Rapid Spin and Foresight, guaranteeing a spin. However, this set has numerous problems: Hitmonchan lacks good resistances, it has a bad physical bulk even when invested, it does bad against Ghost-types already, and most Ghost-types are unable to defeat Kabutops, another Rapid Spinner user. Hitmonchan has Agility, which can allow it to sweep late game, but Hitmonlee has a much easier time doubling its Speed thanks to Unburden, which allows it to attack and set up in the same turn. SubPunch is an interesting option on Hitmonchan, considering it can boost Focus Punch via Iron Fist to raise the move to nearly unmatched levels, but there are not very many cases where Hitmonchan will be able to keep the Substitute up, and it doesn't exactly beat any additional Pokemon with Focus Punch. Bulk Up is mostly outclassed by Gallade due to higher stats in almost every area, although Mach Punch gives Hitmonchan a slight advantage, but not enough to use it over Gallade. Stone Edge can nail Flying-types a bit harder than ThunderPunch can while also hitting Fire-types hard, but Hitmonchan already either easily defeats or flat out loses to all of the Flying-types in RU, and Stone Edge does not alleviate this fact. Hi Jump Kick is stronger than even Close Combat, but the accuracy side-effect is very undesirable, and it isn't that much more powerful. Finally, Hitmonchan has access to Bullet Punch and Fake Out, but Bullet Punch has redundant coverage with Mach Punch, and Fake Out can become waste of space, considering its damage output is fairly low.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Countering Hitmonchan is similar to much like countering most other Fighting-types in RU, and therefore should be approached in a similar fashion to others. Just like others, Hitmonchan struggles against Ghost-type Pokemon such as Misdreavus and Rotom, who are immune to Hitmonchan's Fighting moves and can burn it with Will-O-Wisp, and then proceed to wear it down with repeated Shadow Balls. Psychic-types such as Uxie or Mesprit are similar cases, as although they are not immune to Fighting-moves, they still do not take very much damage from the move and also can hit Hitmonchan hard with their STAB. Flying-types, such as Sigilyph, Moltres, and Scyther can outspeed and OHKO Hitmonchan with their super effective STAB moves and switch into Fighting moves with ease, but they must watch out for ThunderPunch and Ice Punch. Durant and Galvantula are not weak to anything Hitmonchan commonly carries and can deal a lot of damage with Thunder or Iron Head, respectively, although both must watch out for the odd rare Fire Punch. Finally, in a general sense, Hitmonchan's stats can work against it while in one-on-one (remember to add the hyphens between "one-on-one") situations. Generally, if it is a strong physical attacker, is not weak to Mach Punch, and is faster than Hitmonchan, there is a very good chance that the Pokemon can do massive damage to, if not OHKO it, with examples including Entei, Gallade, and Choice Scarf Emboar.</p>

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
[Overview]

<p>In a tier filled with many viable Fighting-type Pokemon, Hitmonchan struggles to stand out. In many cases, Hitmonchan finds itself weaker, slower, or frailer than other Figthing-types, and in some cases,(RC) all three. AIt is also flawed as a Rapid Spin user, it is also flawed, as it cannot handlefeat spinblockers very well and there are usuallyis often cast aside in lieu of much better options, (AC) such as Kabutops, (AC) that are capable of taking them on. you can try a different rewording, doesn't matter, but it has to be done somehow Hitmonchan also doesn't have any tricks up its sleeve to get past Psychic- and Ghost-types like some other Fighting-types do, and with these things in mind, it mayight seem that Hitmonchan has nothing going for it. may is vague word -- always replace it with "might" or "can"</p>

<p>Despite generally lacking in stats, and to an extent,(RC) in movepool, Hitmonchan has a small niche provided by Iron Fist. It has a very wide array of punching moves, including the rare Mach Punch and the elemental punches, a trait only shared by Gurdurr. Due to this, its coverage moves can hit harder than its competition, and Mach Punch can revenge kill threats that are weak to the move, a thing other Fighting-types simply cannot do. Overall, always consider your other options before using Hitmonchan, but don't discount it completely, as it mayight be just what you are looking for.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>A simple offensive set is the best way to utilize Hitmonchan. Although it mayight not look very uniquestand out that much at first, "unique" is an absolute, meaning you can't use it with a modifier Iron Fist, a plethora of punching moves that get boosted by the said ability, and Mach Punch give it all the advantages that it needs and somewhat makes up for its inferior powerAttack. "inferior" is pretty awkward so better word used[/b][/color] Without Psychic- and Ghost-types, Hitmonchan is surprisingly difficult to wall, and it can therefore serve as an effective wallbreaker with its good coverage,(RC) while keeping faster Pokemon in check with Mach Punch. Drain Punch is the preferred STAB option, as it gets boosted by Iron Fist, making it reach decent levels of power,(RC) while simultaneously healing damage from itsoff Life Orb damage. Alternatively, Close Combat could be used, as even factoring in Iron Fist it is stronger than Drain Punch is. Mach Punch is an important move for Hitmonchan, as it is one of the only Pokemon that can learn the move, and withllowing it, it can to finish off or revenge kill foes weak to the move. For example, it almost always OHKOes Sawsbuck and Crawdaunt after Stealth Rock damage. ThunderPunch allows Hitmonchan to 2HKO bulky wWater-types, (AC) such as Poliwrath and Slowking, and it can also hit Flying-types hard onas they switch in. Ice Punch is preferred for the final slot, getting good coverage with ThunderPunch to form a pseudo "BoltBeam" combination,(RC) and hit also gets to hitting Pokemon such as Tangrowth, Druddigon, and Amoonguss for a lot of damage. However, Hitmonchan could instead use Rapid Spin in this slot, because although Hitmonchan loses to all relevant spinblockers, Rapid Spin is still a fairly rare move. In case space cannot be made on your team for the few other Rapid Spinners in the tier and Hitmonchan's other traits are needed, Hitmonchan could provide both.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Hitmonchan should always run maximum Attack and Speed with an Adamant nature, as it needs all the power it can get, (AC) and Hitmonchan should always try to outpace Absol, as then Mach Punch will make Sucker Punch fail, which can do a lot of damage despite theHitmonchan's resistance to it has, (AC) fail. A Life Orb is preferred simply because it offers more power, and Drain Punch mitigates the recoil damage from the item as well. Fire Punch can be used over one of Hitmonchan's coverage moves, and is notable for gettingallowing Hitmonchan to get past Bug-types such as Escavalier and Galvantula, but space is fairly limited on this set and Fire Punch doesn't offer as much offensive coverage as the other moves that Hitmonchan typically uses.</p>

<p>Like almost every other Fighting-type in the metagame, Hitmonchan struggles a lot against Ghost- and Psychic-type Pokemon, and it has nothing in its movepool that can be used to defeat them reliably. Due to this, Pursuit support from the likes of Absol, Spiritomb, and Escavalier is a good idea, as ithese Pokemon can threaten them with Pursuit or hit them with a stronger move if they decide to stay in. In addition, if Ghost-types are eliminated, Hitmonchan can use Rapid Spin more freely in case it has decided to run the move. Due toIf Rapid Spin is run, Fire-types such as Moltres and Entei also make good partners, rapid spin is not the preferred option so this had to be changed slightly as they appreciate the lack of entry hazards such as Stealth Rock on the field, and can switch into Will-O-Wisps from the Ghost-types that carryuse them, and most are powerful enough to KO the Ghost-types. They can also hit Bug-types, which resist Fighting, for a lot of damage. Hitmonchan is easily taken out by STAB Flying-type moves from the likes of Moltres and Sigilyph, and due to this, Lanturn makes a good partner, resisting Flying and having the bulk to take all their other moves, while Heal Bell can cure Hitmonchan of troubling statuses, most of which severely limit Hitmonchan. Although Archeops stands a chance at beating Lanturn with Earthquake, as Hitmonchan can hit Archeops hard with all of its moves, the likelyihood of one directly threatening Hitmonchan is rare.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Most of what Hitmonchan has access to is outclassed by something else. Hitmonchan can run a set with Rapid Spin and Foresight, guaranteeing a spin. However, this set has numerous problems: Hitmonchan lacks good resistances, it has a bad physical bulk even when invested, it does bad against Ghost-types already, and most Ghost-types are unable to defeat Kabutops, another Rapid Spinner. Hitmonchan halearns Agility, which can allow it to sweep late game, but Hitmonlee has a much easier time doubling its Speed thanks to Unburden, which allows it to attack and set up in the same turn. SubPunch is an interesting option on Hitmonchan, considering it can boost Focus Punch via Iron Fist to raise the move's power to nearly unmatched levels, but there are not very many cases where Hitmonchan will be able to keep the Substitute up, and it doesn't exactly beat any additional Pokemon with Focus Punch. Bulk Up is mostly outclassed by Gallade due to higher stats in almost every area,; (add semi) although Mach Punch gives Hitmonchan a slight advantage, buthis is not not enough to use it over Gallade. Stone Edge can nail Flying-types a bit harder than ThunderPunch can while also hitting Fire-types hard, but Hitmonchan already either easily defeats or flat -(hyphen)out loses to all of the Flying-types in RU, and Stone Edge does not alleviate this fact. Hi Jump Kick is stronger than even Close Combat, but the accuracy is very undesirable okay I seriously doubt 95% accuracy is really that deterring -- talk about how it has the chance to weaken Hitmonchan instead, and it isn't that much more powerful. Finally, Hitmonchan has access to Bullet Punch and Fake Out, but Bullet Punch has redundant coverage with Mach Punch, and Fake Out can become a waste of space,(RC) considering that its damage output is fairly low.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Countering Hitmonchan is similar to countering most other Fighting-types in RU, and therefore should be approached in a similar fashion to others. Just like these other Fighting-types, Hitmonchan struggles against Ghost-type Pokemon such as Misdreavus and Rotom, whoich are immune to Hitmonchan's Fighting-type moves and can burn it with Will-O-Wisp, and then proceed to wear it down with repeated Shadow Balls. Psychic-types, (AC) such as Uxie orand Mesprit, (AC) are similar cases, as although they are not immune to Fighting-type moves, they still do not take very much damage from the move and also can hit Hitmonchan hard with their STAB. Flying-types, such as Sigilyph, Moltres, and Scyther, (AC) can outspeed and OHKO Hitmonchan with their super effective STAB moves and switch into Fighting-type moves, but they must watch out for ThunderPunch and Ice Punch. Durant and Galvantula are not weak to anything Hitmonchan commonly carries and can deal a lot of damage with Thunder or Iron Head, respectively, although both must watch out for the odd Fire Punch. Finally, in a general sense, Hitmonchan's stats can work against it while in one on -(hyphen)on-(hyphen)one situations. Generally, if it is a strong physical attacker, is not weak to Mach Punch, and is faster than Hitmonchan, there is a very good chance that the Pokemon can do massive damage to, if not OHKO, Hitmonchan, (AC) with examples including Entei, Gallade, and Choice Scarf Emboar.</p>

EDIT: ffs this is the second time I've gotten ninja'd while am checking today

Also @Rohail17's check: "Rapid Spinner" is absolutely a usable term.

Yonko7

Guns make you stupid. Duct tape makes you smart.
is a Contributor Alumnus
Oglemi posted above to use either spinner or Rapid Spin user.

Because so much of those checks were similar, I implemented Rohail's check with a bit of Jukain's.

EDIT: Fixed the below - I passed over it during revision sorry

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
sorry for the wait

[Overview]

<p>In a tier filled with many viable Fighting-type Pokemon, Hitmonchan struggles to stand out. Hitmonchan often finds itself weaker, slower, or frailer than other Figthing-types, and in some cases, it finds itslef lacking in all three. It is all three. Aso flawed as a Rapid Spin user, it is also flawed, as it cannot handle spinblockers very well, unlike the usually superior option, Kabutops. Hitmonchan also doesn't have any tricks up its sleeve to get past Psychic- and Ghost-types like some other Fighting-types, an; (add semi) with these things in mind, it mayight seem like Hitmonchan has nothing going for it.</p>

<p>Despite generally lacking in stats, and to an extent,(RC) in movepool, Hitmonchan does have a small niche provided by Iron Fist. It has access to a very wide array of punching moves, including the rare Mach Punch and the elemental punches, a trait only shared by Gurdurr. Due to this, its coverage moves can hit harder than its competition, and Mach Punch, (AC) a move most other Fighting-types lack, (AC) can revenge kill threats that a large weak tonumber of the move, a qualitreats, (AC) especially other Fighting-types simply don't haveose that are weak to it. Overall, always consider your other options before using Hitmonchan, but don't discount it completely, as it mayight be just what you are looking for.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>A simple offensive set is the best way to utilize Hitmonchan. Although it mayight not look very unique at first, access to Iron Fist, a plethora of punching moves that get boosted by said ability, and priority in Mach Punch give it all the advantages that it needs and somewhat makes up for its inferior power. Without Psychic- and Ghost-types, Hitmonchan is surprisingly difficult to wall, andso it can therefore serve as an effective wallbreaker with its good coverage,(RC) while keeping faster Pokemon in check with Mach Punch. Drain Punch is the preferred STAB option, as it gets boosted by Iron Fist, making it reach decent levels of power, while simultaneously healing off damage taken from Life Orb. Alternatively, Close Combat couldan be used, as even factoring in Iron Fist it is stronger than Drain Punch is. Mach Punch is an important move for Hitmonchan, as it is one of the few Pokemon that can learn the move, and withllowing it, it can to finish off or revenge kill foes weak to ithe move; for example, it almost always OHKOes Sawsbuck and Crawdaunt after Stealth Rock damage. ThunderPunch allows Hitmonchan to 2HKO bulky wWater-types, (AC) such as Poliwrath and Slowking, and it can also hit Flying-types hard on the switch. Ice Punch is preferred for the final slot, getting good coverage with ThunderPunch to form a pseudo "BoltBeam" combination,(RC) and hit also gets to hitting Pokemon such as Tangrowth, Druddigon, and Amoonguss for super effective damage. However, Hitmonchan could instead use Rapid Spin in this slot, as it allows Hitmonchan to rid the field of hazards, though this is at the expense of losing coverage. Keep in mind though,(RC) that it loses to all relevant spinblockers, so only use it in case space cannot be made on your team for the few other Rapid Spin users in the tier and Hitmonchan's other traits are needed.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Hitmonchan should always run maximum Attack and Speed with an Adamant nature, as it needs all the power it can get and Hitmonchan should alwayneeds try to outpace Absol, as Mach Punch will then make Sucker Punch fail, which can do a lot of damage despite the resistance it has. A Life Orb is preferred simply because it offers more power, and Drain Punch mitigates the recoil damage from the item anyways. Fire Punch can be used over one of Hitmonchan's coverage moves, and is notable for getting past Bug-types such as Escavalier and Galvantula, but space is fairly limited on this set and Fire Punch doesn't offer as much offensive coverage as the other moves that Hitmonchan typically uses.</p>

<p>Like almost every other Fighting-type in the metagame, Hitmonchan struggles a lot against Ghost- and Psychic-type Pokemon, and it hashaving nothing in its movepool that can be used to defeat them reliably. Due to this, Pursuit support from the likes of Absol, Spiritomb, and Escavalier is a good idea, as it can trap them,(RC) or hit them with a stronger move if they decide to stay in. In addition, if Ghost-types are eliminated, Hitmonchan can use Rapid Spin more freely in case. If Hitmonchan it has decided to run the move. Due toning Rapid Spin, Fire-types, (AC) such as Moltres and Entei, (AC) also make good partners, as they appreciate the lack of entry hazards, (AC) such as Stealth Rock, (AC) on the field,(RC) and can switch into Will-O-Wisps from the Ghost-types that carry them,; (add semi) most are also powerful enough to KO the Ghost-types. They also hit Bug-types, which resist Fighting, for a lot of damage. Hitmonchan is easily taken out by STAB Flying-type moves from the likes of Moltres and Sigilyph, and due to this,making Lanturn makes a good partner, resisting Flying and having the bulk to take all their other moves, while Heal Bell can cure Hitmonchan of troubling statuses, most of which severely limitcripple Hitmonchan. Although Archeops stands a chance at beating Lanturn with Earthquake, Hitmonchan can hit Archeops hard with any of its moves, so the likelihood of one directly threatening Hitmonchan is rare.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Most of what Hitmonchan has access to is outclassed by something else. Hitmonchan can run a set with Rapid Spin and Foresight, guaranteeing a spin. However, thisuch a set has numerous problems: Hitmonchan lacks good resistances, it has a badmediocre physical bulk even when invested, it does badpororly against Ghost-types already, and most Ghost-types are unable to defeat Kabutops, another Rapid Spin user. "bad" is a terrible word and you're overusing it Hitmonchan learns Agility, which can allow it to sweep late game, but Hitmonlee has a much easier time doubling its Speed thanks to Unburden, which allows it to attack and set up in the same turn. SubPunch is an interesting option on Hitmonchan, considering it can boost Focus Punch is boosted via Iron Fist to, (AC) raising the power of the move to nearly -(hyphen)unmatched levels, but there are not very many cases where Hitmonchan will be able to keep the Substitute up, and it doesn't exactly beat any additional Pokemon with Focus Punch. Bulk Up is mostly outclassed by Gallade due to higher stats in almost every area,; (add semi) although Mach Punch gives Hitmonchan a slight advantage, butit is not enough to usmake it worth using over Gallade. Stone Edge can nail Flying-types a bit harder than ThunderPunch can while also hitting Fire-types hard, but Hitmonchan already either easily defeats or flat -(hyphen)out loses to all of the Flying-types in RU, and Stone Edge does not alleviate this fact. Hi Jump Kick is stronger than even Close Combat, but the side-(add space)effect is very undesirable, and it isn't that much more powerful. Finally, Hitmonchan has access to Bullet Punch and Fake Out, but Bullet Punch has redundant coverage with Mach Punch, and Fake Out can become a waste of space,)RC_ considering that its damage output is fairly low.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Countering Hitmonchan is much like countering most other Fighting-types in RU, and therefore should be approached in a similar fashion. Just like others, Hitmonchan struggles against Ghost-type Pokemon such as Misdreavus and Rotom, whoich are immune to Hitmonchan's Fighting moves and can burn it with Will-O-Wisp, and then proceed to wear it down with repeated Shadow Balls. Psychic-types, (AC) such as Uxie or Mesprit, (AC) are similar cases, as although they are not immune to Fighting-moves, they still do not take very much damage from the move and also can hit Hitmonchan hard with their STAB. Flying-types, such as Sigilyph, Moltres, and Scyther, (AC) can outspeed and OHKO Hitmonchan with their super effective STAB moves and switch into Fighting moves with ease, but they must watch out for ThunderPunch and Ice Punch. Durant and Galvantula are not weak to anything Hitmonchan commonly carries and can deal a lot of damage with Thunder orand Iron Head, respectively, although both must watch out for the rare Fire Punch. Finally, in a general sense, Hitmonchan's stats can work against it while in one-on-one situations. Generally, if ithe foe is a strong physical attacker, is not weak to Mach Punch, and is faster than Hitmonchan, there is a very good chance that the Pokemon can do massive damage to,(RC) if not OHKO(RC) Hitmonchan, (AC) with examples including Entei, Gallade, and Choice Scarf Emboar.</p>

[gp]1/2[/gp]

Mostly choppy writing and bad wording, you had Pokegrammar right for the most part. Stamp is in addition to the changes you made before.

Oglemi

Borf
add
remove
comments

[Overview]

<p>In a tier filled with many viable Fighting-type Pokemon, Hitmonchan struggles to stand out. Hitmonchan often finds itself weaker, slower, or frailer than other Fighting-types, and in some cases all three. It is also flawed as a Rapid Spin user, as it cannot handle spinblockers very well unlike the usually superior option, Kabutops. Hitmonchan also doesn't have any tricks up its sleeve to get past Psychic- and Ghost-types like some other Fighting-types; with these things in mind, it might seem like Hitmonchan has nothing going for it.</p>

<p>Despite generally lacking in stats, and to an extent in movepool, Hitmonchan does have a small niche provided by Iron Fist. It has access to a very wide array of punching moves, including the rare Mach Punch and the elemental punches, a trait only shared by Gurdurr. Due to this, its coverage moves hit harder than its competition, and Mach Punch, a move most other Fighting-types lack, can revenge kill a large number of threats, (AC) especially those that are weak to it. Overall, always consider your other options before using Hitmonchan, but don't discount it completely, as it might be just what you are looking for.</p>

[SET]
move 1: Drain Punch / Close Combat

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>A simple offensive set is the best way to utilize Hitmonchan. Although it might not look very unique at first, access to Iron Fist, a plethora of punching moves that get boosted by said ability, and priority in Mach Punch give it all the advantages that it needs and somewhat make up for its inferior power. Without Psychic- and Ghost-types, Hitmonchan is surprisingly difficult to wall, so it can serve as an effective wallbreaker with its good coverage while keeping faster Pokemon in check with Mach Punch. Drain Punch is the preferred STAB option, as it gets boosted by Iron Fist, making it reach decent levels of power while simultaneously healing off damage taken from Life Orb. Alternatively, Close Combat can be used, as even factoring in Iron Fist it is stronger than Drain Punch. Mach Punch is an important move for Hitmonchan, as it is one of the few Pokemon that can learn the move, allowing it to finish off or revenge kill foes weak to it; for example, it almost always OHKOes Sawsbuck and Crawdaunt after Stealth Rock damage. ThunderPunch allows Hitmonchan to 2HKO bulky Water-types, such as Poliwrath and Slowking, and it can also hit Flying-types hard on the switch. Ice Punch is preferred for the final slot, getting good coverage with ThunderPunch to form a pseudo BoltBeam combination and hitting Pokemon such as Tangrowth, Druddigon, and Amoonguss for super effective damage. However, Hitmonchan could instead use Rapid Spin in this slot, as it allows Hitmonchan to rid the field of hazards, though this is at the expense of losing coverage. Keep in mind though that it loses to all relevant spinblockers, so only use it in case space cannot be made on your team for the few other Rapid Spin users in the tier and Hitmonchan's other traits are needed.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Hitmonchan should always run maximum Attack and Speed with an Adamant nature, as it needs all the power it can get and needs to outpace Absol, as Mach Punch will then make Sucker Punch fail, which can do a lot of damage despite the resistance it has. A Life Orb is preferred simply because it offers more power, and Drain Punch mitigates the recoil damage from the item anyways. Fire Punch can be used over one of Hitmonchan's coverage moves, and is notable for getting past Bug-types such as Escavalier and Galvantula, but space is fairly limited on this set and Fire Punch doesn't offer as much offensive coverage as the other moves that Hitmonchan typically uses.</p>

<p>Like almost every other Fighting-type in the metagame, Hitmonchan struggles a lot against Ghost- and Psychic-type Pokemon, having nothing in its movepool that can be used to defeat them reliably. Due to this, Pursuit support from the likes of Absol, Spiritomb, and Escavalier is a good idea, as it can trap them or hit them with a stronger move if they decide to stay in. In addition, if Ghost-types are eliminated, Hitmonchan can use Rapid Spin more freely. If Hitmonchan is running Rapid Spin, Fire-types, such as Moltres and Entei, also make good partners, as they appreciate the lack of entry hazards, such as Stealth Rock, on the field and can switch into Will-O-Wisps from the Ghost-types that carry them; most are also powerful enough to KO the Ghost-types. They also hit Bug-types, which resist Fighting, for a lot of damage. They also offer the ability to destroy said Ghost-types as well as the Bug-types that resist Hitmonchan's STAB moves. Hitmonchan is easily taken out by STAB Flying-type moves from the likes of Moltres and Sigilyph, making Lanturn a good partner, resisting Flying and having partner since it resists Flying and has the bulk to take all their other moves, while Heal Bell can cure Hitmonchan of troubling statuses, most of which severely cripple Hitmonchan. Although Archeops stands a chance at beating Lanturn with Earthquake, Hitmonchan can hit Archeops hard with any of its moves, so the likelihood of one directly threatening Hitmonchan is rare.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Most of what Hitmonchan has access to is outclassed by something else. Hitmonchan can run a set with Rapid Spin and Foresight, guaranteeing a spin. However, such a set has numerous problems: Hitmonchan lacks good resistances, has a mediocre physical bulk even when invested, does poorly against Ghost-types already, and most Ghost-types are unable to defeat Kabutops, another Rapid Spin user. Hitmonchan learns Agility, which can allow it to sweep late-game, but Hitmonlee has a much easier time doubling its Speed thanks to Unburden, which allows it to attack and set up in the same turn. SubPunch is an interesting option on Hitmonchan, considering Focus Punch is boosted via Iron Fist, raising the power of the move to near-unmatched levels, but there are not very many cases where Hitmonchan will be able to keep the Substitute up, and it doesn't beat any additional Pokemon with Focus Punch. Bulk Up is mostly outclassed by Gallade due to higher stats in almost every area; although Mach Punch gives Hitmonchan a slight advantage, it is not enough to make it worth using over Gallade. Stone Edge can nail Flying-types a bit harder than ThunderPunch while also hitting Fire-types hard, but Hitmonchan already either easily defeats or flat-out loses to all of the Flying-types in RU, and Stone Edge does not alleviate this fact. Hi Jump Kick is stronger than even Close Combat, but the side effect is very undesirable, and it isn't that much more powerful. Finally, Hitmonchan has access to Bullet Punch and Fake Out, but Bullet Punch has redundant coverage with Mach Punch, and Fake Out can become a waste of space considering that its damage output is fairly low.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Countering Hitmonchan is much like countering most other Fighting-types in RU. Just like other Fighting-types, Hitmonchan struggles against Ghost-type Pokemon such as Misdreavus and Rotom, which are immune to Hitmonchan's Fighting moves, and can burn it with Will-O-Wisp, and then proceed to wear it down with repeated Shadow Balls. Psychic-types, such as Uxie or Mesprit, are similar cases, since even though as although they are not immune to Fighting-moves, they still do not take very much damage from them and can hit Hitmonchan hard with their STAB. Flying-types, such as Sigilyph, Moltres, and Scyther, can outspeed and OHKO Hitmonchan with their super effective STAB moves and switch into Fighting moves with ease, but they must watch out for ThunderPunch and Ice Punch. Durant and Galvantula are not weak to anything Hitmonchan commonly carries and can deal a lot of damage with Thunder and Iron Head, respectively, though both must watch out for the rare Fire Punch. Finally, in a general sense, Hitmonchan's stats can work against it in one-on-one situations. Generally, if the foe is a strong physical attacker, is not weak to Mach Punch, and is faster than Hitmonchan, there is a very good chance that the Pokemon can do massive damage to if not OHKO Hitmonchan, with examples including Entei, Gallade, and Choice Scarf Emboar.</p>

[gp]2/2[/gp]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)