SS Ubers HO Groudon + Zekrom Core

Intro

Hello! I have been doing some research on Uber because I am very new to it, although it looks very fun, so I tried making a HO Uber team. This team could be pretty garbage, all I ask is that you guys help me improve the team because I am not sure if I am getting some of this stuff correct, I will not hold you guys up, I will get straight in to the team.

Team

:Landorus-Therian:

Landorus-Therian is usually my lead because it can setup hazards. I usually use hazards on HO because some things don't want to come in on Stealth Rock and will take a lot of damage, although that was SS OU, I am not entirely sure how it works in Uber. Landorus-Therian gets access to explosion so when I am done setting up Rocks, I can explode myself for a safe swap in to something.

:Landorus-Therian: :groudon:

Groudon is my wallbreaker. Groudon was added to break the opposing team so my cleaners can easily revenge kill them. Groudon has an ENORMOUS attacking stat and access to Swords Dance. It's in a pretty bad speed tier (90 base speed), it can be revenge killed pretty easily by Pokemon faster than it. Also, Kyogre can straight up 0hko it and Groudon doesn't have coverage to hit for Super Effective damage. Kyogre is going to be a big pain in the ass.. something HAD to be done about this...

:Landorus-Therian: :groudon: :zekrom:

That is when Zekrom comes in. Zekrom is my second wall breaker, it also can help with Kyogre. Zekrom can 0hko Kyogre with Bolt Strike which is pretty awesome, although I'm not sure if you want to be directly switching in to it. Zekrom's coverage isn't that great, although it does have a 130 BP Bolt Strike which can practically 2hk0 everything unless the opposing Pokemon resists electric or immune. Groudon and Zekrom synergize very well, having both of them on the same team is some cool tech if you ask me ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

:Landorus-Therian: :groudon: :zekrom: :mewtwo:

Ah yes, good old Mewtwo. Mewtwo I thought was needed because my team was very slow for HO. Mewtwo also serves as a setup-sweeper. I say this because of it's INSANE coverage, good speed tier, and it gets Nasty Plot. In my opinion, is this BEYOND broken. Oh and forgot to say, Mewtwo also gets a base 154 Special Attack... I don't even know what to say. It is just an absolute DEMON.

:Landorus-Therian: :groudon: :zekrom: :mewtwo: :Ho-Oh:

Ho-Oh is my hazard removal. Since my whole team has absolutely no recovery, it will get worn out by hazards. Ho-Oh can safely swap in to any hazard (assuming you are holding HDB) and remove it by using Defog. Ho-Oh is also a check to things like Yveltal and Zacian.

:Landorus-Therian: :groudon: :zekrom: :mewtwo: :Ho-Oh: :genesect:

Genesect is my late-game-cleaner. With one analyze boost (in your favor) you can deal a lot of damage on a lot of the competition because Genesect's SpA/Atk stas are fairly high (Base 120). Genesect can hit a huge portion of the meta for Super-Effecive due to it's insane coverage. Genesect is not in a great speed tier so I would 110% reccomend the Choice Scarf on it otherwise it won't be an effective cleaner. Genesect is also a check Xerneas.

Sets

Also, when you are rating my team. Make sure to read all the messages before you rate it just to stay on track with what other team raters had changed my team to.

:ss/landorus-therian:

Landorus-Therian @ Focus Sash
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Explosion
- Stealth Rock
- Swords Dance

:ss/groudon:

Groudon @ Life Orb
Ability: Drought
EVs: 100 HP / 252 Atk / 156 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Rock Polish
- Precipice Blades
- Stone Edge

:ss/zekrom:

Zekrom @ Life Orb
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Bolt Strike
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Substitute

:ss/mewtwo:

Mewtwo @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psystrike
- Nasty Plot
- Ice Beam
- Focus Blast

:ss/ho-oh:

Ho-Oh @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 204 Def / 52 SpD
Impish Nature
- Sacred Fire
- Defog
- Thunder Wave
- Roost

:ss/genesect:

Genesect @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Download
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- U-turn
- Iron Head
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt

Last edited:

Fc

Waiting for something to happen?
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a defending SCL Champion
Ubers Leader
Hi, glad you're showing interest in the ubers tier. I love playing it rn, even though some parts may not be ideal, it's still super fun. I think that there's something to go off here from the beginning core, however it somewhat falls off in terms of effectiveness at the end. Mewtwo, Ho-oh, Lando-T on HO, and Genesect are all outclassed on this team by other Pokemon, most which I think would fit better here, but I think keeping Mewtwo could actually be interesting due to a few positive things it has.

Major Changes:
:ho-oh: --> :yveltal:
Yveltal @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Dark Aura
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Taunt
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Roost
Yveltal @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Taunt
- Oblivion Wing
- Dark Pulse
- Sucker Punch
This is a common mistake that I've seen especially in ubers, where people will throw things like defog Ho-oh or Lugia onto an HO team with a hazard lead. The goal of these kinds of teams should be to keep up pressure and take away the momentum from the opponent with offensive plays, not to give it up for them to win. If you play it as offensively as possible, your mons ideally get more out of the hazards compared to the opposing Pokemon. Yveltal lets you keep up the hazards set by your lead, and provides a way to prevent Calyrex-Shadow from just leading and killing every mon on the team.

:genesect: --> :necrozma-dusk-mane:
Necrozma-Dusk-Mane @ Weakness Policy / Life Orb
Ability: Prism Armor
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Sunsteel Strike
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge / Photon Geyser
Genesect is a very bad mon rn, because it just doesn't have much going for it in the meta rn, and this set would just get walled by a lot. Things like Dusk Mane and Ho-oh hard wall it, and if it locks into something that isn't U-turn it can be super easily abused. Alternatively, Dusk mane is a great steel type for Hyper Offense teams trying to have preventative measures to something like Zacian. The set I gave is just one of many, as it has options like semi defensive with moonlight and multiple moveset combinations, but I think this is solid. It also helps against Xerneas, which when set up can OHKO every other member barring the old Ho-oh which couldn't even do much without Whirlwind.

:landorus-therian: --> :shuckle:
Shuckle @ Mental Herb
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Sticky Web
- Stealth Rock
- Final Gambit
- Encore
I think to get the most out of Mewtwo especially, Sticky Web is a much more useful hazard here. Shuckle is kinda falling off as a lead imo, but I still think if you wanted to keep a Stealth Rocking lead shuckle is the way to go, since webs are really helpful overall.

Minor Changes:
:zekrom:
Life Orb --> Leftovers
OR
Substitute --> Roost

If Zekrom runs life orb and substitute, I feel like it just wears itself down insanely fast and will rarely click it. If you sub then dd on a dusk mane that has eq and rocky helmet for example, Zekrom may just die to sub + eq + orb + helmet after attacking once. Roost is a personal preference there because it lets it attack much more and can use things like Knock off dusk mane as complete set up fodder.

Updated RMT (pokepast.es)
Here's the updated paste for the team, and I think it's quite a large step up while keeping the general idea and the strong offensive core it originally had of Zekrom Groudon and Mewtwo. While doing this rmt I originally just wanted to make Mewtwo Calyrex-Shadow, but I think if you go with the Shuckle sticky web lead then Mewtwo could actually be a cool mon to build an HO around, it's not as insanely strong as you're making it out to be but it still has a lot of power backing it, and if it can outspeed things like Scarf Kyogre, Zacian, and Non-Scarf Calyrex-Shadow with webs up, it could be that dangerous.

Hi, glad you're showing interest in the ubers tier. I love playing it rn, even though some parts may not be ideal, it's still super fun. I think that there's something to go off here from the beginning core, however it somewhat falls off in terms of effectiveness at the end. Mewtwo, Ho-oh, Lando-T on HO, and Genesect are all outclassed on this team by other Pokemon, most which I think would fit better here, but I think keeping Mewtwo could actually be interesting due to a few positive things it has.

Major Changes:
:ho-oh: --> :yveltal:
Yveltal @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Jolly Nature
- Taunt
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Roost
Yveltal @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Taunt
- Oblivion Wing
- Dark Pulse
- Sucker Punch
This is a common mistake that I've seen especially in ubers, where people will throw things like defog Ho-oh or Lugia onto an HO team with a hazard lead. The goal of these kinds of teams should be to keep up pressure and take away the momentum from the opponent with offensive plays, not to give it up for them to win. If you play it as offensively as possible, your mons ideally get more out of the hazards compared to the opposing Pokemon. Yveltal lets you keep up the hazards set by your lead, and provides a way to prevent Calyrex-Shadow from just leading and killing every mon on the team.

:genesect: --> :necrozma-dusk-mane:
Necrozma-Dusk-Mane @ Weakness Policy / Life Orb
Ability: Prism Armor
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Sunsteel Strike
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge / Photon Geyser
Genesect is a very bad mon rn, because it just doesn't have much going for it in the meta rn, and this set would just get walled by a lot. Things like Dusk Mane and Ho-oh hard wall it, and if it locks into something that isn't U-turn it can be super easily abused. Alternatively, Dusk mane is a great steel type for Hyper Offense teams trying to have preventative measures to something like Zacian. The set I gave is just one of many, as it has options like semi defensive with moonlight and multiple moveset combinations, but I think this is solid. It also helps against Xerneas, which when set up can OHKO every other member barring the old Ho-oh which couldn't even do much without Whirlwind.

:landorus-therian: --> :shuckle:
Shuckle @ Mental Herb
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Sticky Web
- Stealth Rock
- Final Gambit
- Encore
I think to get the most out of Mewtwo especially, Sticky Web is a much more useful hazard here. Shuckle is kinda falling off as a lead imo, but I still think if you wanted to keep a Stealth Rocking lead shuckle is the way to go, since webs are really helpful overall.

Minor Changes:
:zekrom:
Life Orb --> Leftovers
OR
Substitute --> Roost

If Zekrom runs life orb and substitute, I feel like it just wears itself down insanely fast and will rarely click it. If you sub then dd on a dusk mane that has eq and rocky helmet for example, Zekrom may just die to sub + eq + orb + helmet after attacking once. Roost is a personal preference there because it lets it attack much more and can use things like Knock off dusk mane as complete set up fodder.

Updated RMT (pokepast.es)
Here's the updated paste for the team, and I think it's quite a large step up while keeping the general idea and the strong offensive core it originally had of Zekrom Groudon and Mewtwo. While doing this rmt I originally just wanted to make Mewtwo Calyrex-Shadow, but I think if you go with the Shuckle sticky web lead then Mewtwo could actually be a cool mon to build an HO around, it's not as insanely strong as you're making it out to be but it still has a lot of power backing it, and if it can outspeed things like Scarf Kyogre, Zacian, and Non-Scarf Calyrex-Shadow with webs up, it could be that dangerous.
Removing the Scarf Genesect makes this team very slow for HO don't you think?

Fc

Waiting for something to happen?
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a defending SCL Champion
Ubers Leader
Removing the Scarf Genesect makes this team very slow for HO don't you think?
I think that with Sticky Web being slow isn't a bad thing, and the team has natural ways around it. 3 mons can boost their speed, Webs helps the natural speed tier of the team immensely, and Mewtwo isn't slow by any means especially with webs up. The fastest option webs typically will use is like Calyrex-Shadow, but I think this is generally fine since it just relies on something a bit slower but harder hitting on things like Yveltal in Mewtwo. Genesect is still a bad mon though, so if anything I think removing it would always be beneficial in comparison to just keeping it for speed control. The team has answers to the super fast things Mewtwo can't outrun like Calyrex-S with Yveltal and Zacian/boosted Xerneas with Dusk Mane, so I think without genesect it should be fine anyway in the speed department since everything extremely heavily pressures the defoggers in the tier.

I think that with Sticky Web being slow isn't a bad thing, and the team has natural ways around it. 3 mons can boost their speed, Webs helps the natural speed tier of the team immensely, and Mewtwo isn't slow by any means especially with webs up. The fastest option webs typically will use is like Calyrex-Shadow, but I think this is generally fine since it just relies on something a bit slower but harder hitting on things like Yveltal in Mewtwo. Genesect is still a bad mon though, so if anything I think removing it would always be beneficial in comparison to just keeping it for speed control. The team has answers to the super fast things Mewtwo can't outrun like Calyrex-S with Yveltal and Zacian/boosted Xerneas with Dusk Mane, so I think without genesect it should be fine anyway in the speed department since everything extremely heavily pressures the defoggers in the tier.
Oh, alright.. cool. Might sound like an odd question, if you were to build around Mewtwo, how would you do it?

Love using this team on the ladder rn, worked even better after Fc’s changes!
Damn.. to be honest, I liked by original team better than I liked FC's changes. But I just assumed the changes he was giving me better. I'm glad you like the team man!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)