Holy Ravioli, New Meta [OU Team]

Hey there people. Sandstorm is back with another exciting RMT for you guys. I had to throw out all my old teams because of the Salamence change, but I like the new meta. Let's me try some new things. The Meta is more Water/Fire/Grass based, and that's sexy.

Let's jump into things, don't we? To start, I did think it terms of a Grass/Fire/Water core when building the team, but I really wanted the team to somewhat focus around Agility Gross because I love Metagross and have been meaning to use it for awhile.

Anyways, let's get started with the sets.

THE SETS

Machamp @ Lum Berry
240 HP / 248 Atk / 16 SpD / 4 Spe
Ability: No Guard
Adamant Nature
~ DynamicPunch
~ Bullet Punch
~ Payback
~ Ice Punch

I honestly picked this lead for a few reasons. First off, it fits the team as far as resistance coverage goes. Second off, it's my favorite Pokemon, always has been. Finally, it's one of the best anti-leads out right now. Lum Berry is there because of the one of the biggest issues Machamp has is with Sleeper Leads and status. I personally like Ice Punch more than Stone Edge, I feel that anything SE could hit, Ice Punch can hit and more so that's my initial thought there.

Heatran @ Shuca Berry
252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Ability: Flash Fire
Naive Nature
~ Stealth Rock
~ Fire Blast
~ Earth Power
~ Explosion

Heatran is here for multiple reasons as well. It's a part of my perfect coverage Fire/Water/Grass core. It works well in a mini-lead combo with Machamp and I needed a Pokemon with Stealth Rock. Fire Blast and Earth Power are pretty standard on MOST Heatrans and Explosion is there to handle stally Pokemon that are definitely going to be around during this meta-game.

Dragonite @ Life Orb
112 Atk / 196 SpA / 200 Spe
Ability: Inner Focus
Rash Nature
~ Draco Meteor
~ Flamethrower
~ Superpower
~ Roost

Dragonite also fits the team and is a beast of a Mixed Sweeper. I don't like the Mixed Sweeper set Smogon has, I feel that this one, which is listed as the lead set is better. It gets the STAB, priority and basically...it's set is pretty similar to Mix Mence. I put Roost on him because this Dragonite will be taking a toll from Life Orb, and since it is meant to handle Walls being a Mixed Sweeper and all, it needs lasting power during those situations and with Roost, it can do so. Flamethrower was recently added due to accuracy issues, most Pokemon that I would attack with Fire Blast to begin with can usually be killed by Flamethrower as well.

Vaporeon @ Leftovers
188 HP / 252 Def / 68 Spe
Ability: Water Absorb
Bold Nature
~ Wish
~ Protect
~ Surf
~ Ice Beam

This is a part of my Water/Fire/Grass core. Vaporeon is a beastly Pokemon that can take most hits. I can go in there and resist hits and mess shit up or stall when I feel like it. I can't decide on a final move for Vaporeon. They all have their uses for this team...I added Ice Beam so I have something to handle opposing DD Nite and possibly even Flygons and other Pokemon that are pretty weak to Ice.

Metagross @ Life Orb
112 HP / 252 Atk / 12 Def / 132 Spe
Ability: Clear Body
Adamant Nature
~ Agility
~ Meteor Mash
~ Earthquake
~ Explosion

Here is I guess you could say, the star of my team. Agility Gross, not sure if I want Life Orb or Leftovers, but it depends on the move I choose. T-Punch or I-Punch will most likely be accompanying Leftovers, and Life Orb with Explosion. Then again, it's all a matter of lasting power or RAW power. The goal of my team is to wear down my opponent's team with the core and then at the very end, bring in this guy to hopefully finish the game off. Decided on Explosion, as it will end the sweep with a Bang or beat the crap out of a stally Poke.

Celebi @ Leftovers
252 HP / 220 Def / 36 Spe
Ability: Natural Cure
Bold Nature
~ Thunder-Wave
~ Grass Knot
~ Recover
~ Hidden Power Fire

Here is the final part of my Fire/Water/Grass core. Celebi is a beast right now, and I have HP Fire since I'm not worried about Salamence anymore. My team isn't all that fast, so the Thunder Wave support is essential over using Leech Seed. I love defensive Celebi. It can take hits, dish out hits and catch those switching Pokemon off guard with T-Wave. Between this, Heatran and Vaporeon I should be able to take any hit from almost any Pokemon. Leaf Storm = Bye Bye Jolteon?

THE CHART

Dragonite ought to have Flamethrower over Fire Blast because the former usually does the job and should never miss. A Fire-type attack already hits Steels, so there's no use for Earthquake. Instead, use Thunderbolt. Hit those Bulky Waters! >:{D

As for Vaporeon, have it learn Ice Beam for its 4th move for you lack a good Dragon Dancing Dragonite check.

Leech Seed doesn't support your team as well as Thunder Wave does.

Your team's nemesis is Jolteon, which hits half of your team with super effective moves. You'll have to have a healthy Steel-type ready, or else Jolteon will have its way with your team. D:

Dragonite ought to have Flamethrower over Fire Blast because the former usually does the job and should never miss. A Fire-type attack already hits Steels, so there's no use for Earthquake. Instead, use Thunderbolt. Hit those Bulky Waters! >:{D

As for Vaporeon, have it learn Ice Beam for its 4th move for you lack a good Dragon Dancing Dragonite check.

Leech Seed doesn't support your team as well as Thunder Wave does.

Your team's nemesis is Jolteon, which hits half of your team with super effective moves. You'll have to have a healthy Steel-type ready, or else Jolteon will have its way with your team. D:
Ugh, that darn Jolteon. I personally love Jolteon though, hopefully I can utilize it on a future team. Seems like Flygon is one of the few Pokemon that can handle it. What might you recommend I do to fix that issue?

I think you should roost on your dragonite. It helps a lot when your stallbreaking against lo, ss, and sr. I use the set and love it.

Use Roost over Earthquake on your Dragonite. First of all, your team will have trouble with stall. Aside from Machamp (which can spread confusion hax) and Dragonite (mixed attacker), you really have nothing against stall. With Roost, however, you can keep your Dragonite alive longer and let it do it's job of wall-breaking; and, with some good prediction, you can potentially tear apart a stall-Team with your Dragonite while roosting off extra damage in the process.

Also, if you are willing to give up a bulky wish-passer (Vaporeon) to combat stall better, I recommend either Choice Scarf Starmie or Choice Specs Starmie. Either set can cripple opposing Stall Pokemon with trick.

Starmie @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 6 HP/252 Spd/252 SAtk
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Trick
- Hydro Pump

Starmie @ Choice
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Trick
- Hydro Pump

Hope this helps.

Use Roost over Earthquake on your Dragonite. First of all, your team will have trouble with stall. Aside from Machamp (which can spread confusion hax) and Dragonite (mixed attacker), you really have nothing against stall. With Roost, however, you can keep your Dragonite alive longer and let it do it's job of wall-breaking; and, with some good prediction, you can potentially tear apart a stall-Team with your Dragonite while roosting off extra damage in the process.

Also, if you are willing to give up a bulky wish-passer (Vaporeon) to combat stall better, I recommend either Choice Scarf Starmie or Choice Specs Starmie. Either set can cripple opposing Stall Pokemon with trick.

Starmie @ Choice Scarf
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Trick
- Hydro Pump

Starmie @ Choice
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Trick
- Hydro Pump

Hope this helps.
I like the suggestion on Dragonite, as for the Starmie. Not sure if I wanna give up Vaporeon for it.

But stall is an issue for this team.

Hi. I notice that most of your Pokemon, bar Machamp and Metagross, are walled by Blissey. While Machamp can certainly take on Blissey, a well organized stall team can counter Machamp and Metagross without too much of a problem. This can be easily fixed however. All you need to put a huge damper on stall teams is Superpower on MixNite. This fits best over ExtremeSpeed, but will work over Roost as well although you sacrifice the ability to recover your health on your own.

I realize you have Celebi to counter Gyarados so you don't really need Hidden Power Electric on Vaporeon, however Ice Beam doesn't seem very needed either. Flygon gets hit hard enough by Surf and Shaymin and Celebi can restore their health with Recover and Leech Seed any way. I think Roar would be much more helpful. This way you can still counter Gyarados and Suicune in dire situations and also prevent Kingdra from sweeping you if it is not the last Pokemon. This will also prevent Dragonite from setting up on you. Another possibility is Explosion on Metagross over ThunderPunch. You may need to go out with a bang and Explosion is the obvious way to do this. In a scenario where you can't get off two hits with ThunderPunch on say a Suicune, Explosion is the best option to obliterate nearly anything in its path (pretty much everything but Ghost-types). Also, if you are having trouble with Jolteon, maybe use Leaf Storm on Celebi in stead of Grass Knot to hit it a lot harder. Good luck.

Hi. I notice that most of your Pokemon, bar Machamp and Metagross, are walled by Blissey. While Machamp can certainly take on Blissey, a well organized stall team can counter Machamp and Metagross without too much of a problem. This can be easily fixed however. All you need to put a huge damper on stall teams is Superpower on MixNite. This fits best over ExtremeSpeed, but will work over Roost as well although you sacrifice the ability to recover your health on your own.

I realize you have Celebi to counter Gyarados so you don't really need Hidden Power Electric on Vaporeon, however Ice Beam doesn't seem very needed either. Flygon gets hit hard enough by Surf and Shaymin and Celebi can restore their health with Recover and Leech Seed any way. I think Roar would be much more helpful. This way you can still counter Gyarados and Suicune in dire situations and also prevent Kingdra from sweeping you if it is not the last Pokemon. This will also prevent Dragonite from setting up on you. Another possibility is Explosion on Metagross over ThunderPunch. You may need to go out with a bang and Explosion is the obvious way to do this. In a scenario where you can't get off two hits with ThunderPunch on say a Suicune, Explosion is the best option to obliterate nearly anything in its path (pretty much everything but Ghost-types). Also, if you are having trouble with Jolteon, maybe use Leaf Storm on Celebi in stead of Grass Knot to hit it a lot harder. Good luck.
I agree with most of that.

However, I feel that once I give Gross Explosion. I have nothing much for Gyarados. Celebi may be able to take it's hits but HP Fire and Leaf Storm probably won't do much to it anyway.

So that's why I'm thinking about HP Elec on Vaporeon. However, without Ice Beam, Dragonite could be an issue. Flygon wasn't the only problem dragon...there's Dragonite too.

I wouldnt put hp electric on vaporeon. Ice beam works there. Celebi counters gyarados extremely well with grass knot and thunder wave. Also leaf storm doesn't work very well on a defensive set and grass knot has good enough power against gyarados. Remember even if gyarados has ice fang it still doesn't beat you. The only way it beats is with bounce which i rarely see either.

I wouldnt put hp electric on vaporeon. Ice beam works there. Celebi counters gyarados extremely well with grass knot and thunder wave. Also leaf storm doesn't work very well on a defensive set and grass knot has good enough power against gyarados. Remember even if gyarados has ice fang it still doesn't beat you. The only way it beats is with bounce which i rarely see either.
Good points.

I'll make those changes.

Good changes, go with these

Hi, solid team you have here.

With Machamp, just a small nitpick, but with so many people who run 4 speed on their Machamps, I would reccomend changing it to 8 speed EV's to avoid speed ties.

I would also reccomend changing Ice Punch or Bullet Punch for Substitute, as with the confusion, you're likely to get a sub up, making you even more scary and a bigger problem for your opponents.

On Vaporeon, I would reccomend changing your EV spread to 244 Hp / 252 Def / 12 Spe as this gives you the best physical defense possible while also outspeeding CB Scizor.

I would also reccomend changing Ice Beam to Roar, as you have spikes, and racking up spikes damage would put even more pressure on your opponent and allowing you to remove some early counters from the initial switch + if they get roared in.

I would change Metagross EV spread to

Adamant ; 60 Hp / 252 Atk / 196 Spe, because to me, it's worth it to outspeed Scarfed base 100's such as Flygon and Jirachi.

That's all I really have, solid team!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)