Pokémon Hoopa

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ik but Aegi it looks to fill a nice role really. It can possibly wall two of the three premier Mega wall breakers (garde and Medi) while taking a hit as it needs to from Hera while attacking super effectively on it. I just sorta like that it can do that a little while having some nice overall utility.

EDIT: Course this is just me theorizing. I don't acess to calcs so there is that.
It can't wall any of the three wallbreakers because it doesn't have access to recovery. It CAN, however counter Gardevoir so long as Hoopa is reasonably healthy. It can't counter Medicham, but it can check it if it gets in free/ switches in on a fighting move.

Also, you can do the calcs, you just have to edit the typing and base stats.

It can't wall any of the three wallbreakers because it doesn't have access to recovery. It CAN, however counter Gardevoir so long as Hoopa is reasonably healthy. It can't counter Medicham, but it can check it if it gets in free/ switches in on a fighting move.

Also, you can do the calcs, you just have to edit the typing and base stats.
Wall, counter sorry was being loose with the terms there bud as ment counter (and idk being immune to one stab and resistant mega chamois other works very well usually) And I was saying I can't do calcs cause I can't do calcs on the phone ( or I should say iPad as for some reason it doesn't twang to fully load the calculator page).... :|

That's what I was also thinking. But still, once the main threats are taken care of by its teammates, I'm sure Hoopa will get a chance to sweep.
Hoopz isnt the kind of mon who will sweep unless you are against stall and sitting against a sub with 2hazard layers,or he is at the same scenario with a scarf and no resistant mon is on the enemy side, or plain life orb attacking with again sr on and sticky web on the field...all are rather shaky sweep conditions if you ask me And all of those need support from other mons while he cannot switch in easily, he needs some investment to reach a reasonable 3hko mark after SR from seceral threats.

He is the one who will disrupt other mons punch a hole or 2 and then let other mons do what they are meant to do.

Hoopz isnt the kind of mon who will sweep unless you are against stall and sitting against a sub with 2hazard layers,or he is at the same scenario with a scarf and no resistant mon is on the enemy side, or plain life orb attacking with again sr on and sticky web on the field...all are rather shaky sweep conditions if you ask me And all of those need support from other mons while he cannot switch in easily, he needs some investment to reach a reasonable 3hko mark after SR from seceral threats.

He is the one who will disrupt other mons punch a hole or 2 and then let other mons do what they are meant to do.
Well, I guess Hoopa's gonna need to set up a bit before it can actually sweep an opponent completely but I'm sure he'll get the opportunity to st up after he switches into a scarfed meinshao's or terrakion's fighting type move or a scarfed gardevoir's or latios' psychic type move or maybe even a choice specs boomburst.

It does have one though.
Yeah thanks for specifying it. I remember the name from somewhere(maybe from the beginning of the thread), but didn't know its power and additional affects. What Hoopa needed was a powerful ghost type attack. Giving it a psyschock with special damage and lower PP isn't good, even if it ignores accuracy and evasion. It needs something that can help it KO some pokemon and I don't think this is enough.

It does have one though.

Which makes wonder really.it was one turn. Or two? I do enjoy the idea of being able to attack through the dang wish stallers (all depth chansey I guess). Was still expecting it to deal more than shadowball when I first saw it but its still fine tho.

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
Which makes wonder really.it was one turn. Or two? I do enjoy the idea of being able to attack through the dang wish stallers (all depth chansey I guess). Was still expecting it to deal more than shadowball when I first saw it but its still fine tho.
It's one-turn.

Yeah thanks for specifying it. I remember the name from somewhere(maybe from the beginning of the thread), but didn't know its power and additional affects. What Hoopa needed was a powerful ghost type attack. Giving it a psyschock with special damage and lower PP isn't good, even if it ignores accuracy and evasion. It needs something that can help it KO some pokemon and I don't think this is enough.
It is just not happening. He doesn't have a good set up move, aside from PuP, which again isn't even that good since he doesn't have a good physical movepool, and doesn't have high powered STABs -- ghost has low BP moves -- so it is just too much effort to get him going when there are better options. Hoopa's typing makes even lower tiers a struggle in as much that Doublade with Shadow Sneak is quite popular.... What Hoopa needs more than a ghost attack would be a mega evolution to fix its speed tier at the very least, which Diancie has given hope for, that aside it is just straining it to make Hoopa sweep when there are better alternatives with better BP moves.

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
It is just not happening. He doesn't have a good set up move, aside from PuP, which again isn't even that good since he doesn't have a good physical movepool, and doesn't have high powered STABs -- ghost has low BP moves -- so it is just too much effort to get him going when there are better options. Hoopa's typing makes even lower tiers a struggle in as much that Doublade with Shadow Sneak is quite popular.... What Hoopa needs more than a ghost attack would be a mega evolution to fix its speed tier at the very least, which Diancie has given hope for, that aside it is just straining it to make Hoopa sweep when there are better alternatives with better BP moves.
Check the movepool list in the OP, it gets Calm Mind.

Would any of these movesets work?

Hoopa @ Focus Sash
Ability: Magician
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Light Screen
- Reflect
- Magic Coat / Taunt
- Psyshock / Destiny Bond

Hoopa @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Magic Coat / Taunt
- Shadow Ball
- Toxic
- Focus Blast

Hoopa @ Choice Specs
Modest Nature
- Psyshock
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Thunderbolt / Energy Ball / Trick

Would any of these movesets work?

Hoopa @ Focus Sash
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Light Screen
- Reflect
- Magic Coat / Taunt
- Psyshock / Destiny Bond

Hoopa @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Magic Coat / Taunt
- Shadow Ball
- Toxic
- Focus Blast

Hoopa @ Choice Specs
Modest Nature
- Psyshock
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Thunderbolt / Energy Ball / Trick
All of them are certainly interesting. The first one probably isn't fast enough to pull it off, as cool as it seems, since it speed ties with Breloom, who can Spore it and break the Sash with Bullet Seed and Mamoswine outspeeds, though it could face both defensive and Scarf Lando-T without much issue, since it generally outspeeds the former and can steal the Scarf from the latter, provided it uses Knock Off.

The second set looks pretty cool, but I don't see the need for Toxic over something like Psyshock or Substitute.

Specs Hoopa will definitely be viable, though it will be hard for it to pull its weight against offensive teams. Still a nuke though.

I'm thinking that Scarf Hoopa might also be viable.
Hoopa @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Psyshock
- Trick
- Focus Blast
It outspeeds all the unboosted metagame aside from Jolly Aerodactyl, Adamant Mega Aerodactyl, Mega Manectric and Mega Alazakam and still hits fairly hard with 150 base Sp. Atk. It has access to Trick to cripple stall teams and has perfect coverage as well. This may end up being a standard set alongside Sub + 3 Attacks and Specs.

Last edited:
Fling + Magician actually seems too good to pass up.

Mugger Set:

Hoopa @ King's Rock/Razor Fang
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 Hp / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fling
- Psyshock
- Shadow Ball
- Thunder Wave

Anything slower than you is force flinched, item stealed, and have their Multiscale/Sturdy/Focus Sash broken. By running Thunder Wave you can slow down faster pokemon that you can't flinch yet and cripple megas that might switch in on you.

Assault Vest Set:

Hoopa @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 Hp / 252 SpA / 4 Spe
Modest Nature
-Fling
-Psyshock
-Shadow Ball
-Focus Blast

Tank and do lots of damage. When you get too low to do that drop the Assault Vest and start item stealing.

I don't see this thing being a huge threat. Knock off spam being everywhere is one reason. aside from it having a hard time living with a 4x weakness, even if it does, it looses its item, which is what everyone is saying will make it good. Loosing the scarf it can't RK and is stuck with a mediocre speed, loosing the AV means it can't tank hits as well, even with it's 130 SpD. Sure you have magician but that's gimmicky and just a terrible ability overall. With hyper offense, knock off, and ghost being one of the most spam able types in the meta right now, hoops just can't find a niche in this meta.

I don't see this thing being a huge threat. Knock off spam being everywhere is one reason. aside from it having a hard time living with a 4x weakness, even if it does, it looses its item, which is what everyone is saying will make it good. Loosing the scarf it can't RK and is stuck with a mediocre speed, loosing the AV means it can't tank hits as well, even with it's 130 SpD. Sure you have magician but that's gimmicky and just a terrible ability overall. With hyper offense, knock off, and ghost being one of the most spam able types in the meta right now, hoops just can't find a niche in this meta.
No one is saying it's gonna be a great mon, rather the discussion has been about whether it can carve itself some sorta niche. And keep in mind his dark and ghost weaknesses are his only weaknesses so as long as those aren't threatening Hoopa it can be a dangerous mon. Of course it will have a hard time and outclassed by other ghosts like Gengar and Chandelure majority of the time but 150 spa and 130 spd is nothing to scoff at.

No one is saying it's gonna be a great mon, rather the discussion has been about whether it can carve itself some sorta niche. And keep in mind his dark and ghost weaknesses are his only weaknesses so as long as those aren't threatening Hoopa it can be a dangerous mon. Of course it will have a hard time and outclassed by other ghosts like Gengar and Chandelure majority of the time but 150 spa and 130 spd is nothing to scoff at.
I still don't see too much of a niche, outside of being gimmicky for hoopa

Master B8s Hoopa will have a niche in OU as a stall breaker. I've tested it in custom matches, and it helps skew the team matchup in favor of the player using Hoopa by a significant enough amount to make it OU viable.

List of non-gimmicky sets that will likely be viable and carve niches in the OU metagame:
Hoopa @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Psyshock
- Trick/Energy Ball/Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast
With 150 Sp. Atk and perfect coverage, Hoopa is going to hit really hard with a Choice Specs on it. Specs has few switch-ins, if any, as most defensive Pokemon in the tier are 2HKOed and anything is going to take at least neutral damage. All notable Pursuit users are hit by Focus Blast or crippled by Trick and even Chansey, who walls nearly all Special Attackers, it 2HKOed by Specs Hoopa after Stealth Rock, and can't even hurt it outside of Toxic stalling. However, Specs Hoopa will need support to be effective, as it needs Pokemon that can beat faster mons, Pokemon that can handle Bisharp, Tyranitar and Mega Scizor, and hazard control for both sides of the battlefield.

Hoopa @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Psyshock
- Trick/Energy Ball/Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast
A Choice Scarf will help mitigate Hoopa's mediocre Speed while still maintaining decent power and has the ability to cripple Stall with Trick. It outspeeds the notable unboosted tier outside of Mega Manectric, (Mega) Aerodactyl and Mega Alakazam and will do much better against offense than Specs and Taunt + 3 Attacks. However, it needs to be rid of all Pursuit users before entering in, since it can't OHKO them unboosted and needs switch-ins to priority in general thanks to its poor defense.

Hoopa @ Leftovers/Sitrus Berry/No item
EVs: 168 HP / 252 SpA / 88 Spe
Modest Nature
- Substitute
- Shadow Ball
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
This set is what I think will be the best of all Hoopa sets in OU. Hoopa becomes a dangerous stallbreaker that can fair well against offense with a free switch-in. Hoopa, like all ghosts, completely walls Chansey behind a Sub and can also avoid various Status moves. Sub also gives it a pseudo-protection against Pursuit and priority, allowing it to fare better against a much wider portion of the metagame. Hoopa is Modest on this set, as it really needs the extra power. You can decide where the rest of the EVs go, but this spread outspeeds uninvested base 80s while having HP that is indivisible by 4.

Hoopa @ Life Orb/No item
Timid/Modest Nature
- Taunt
- Shadow Ball
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
This is the stallbreaker set for Hoopa. While it fares the worst against offensive compared to the other sets, it provides a nightmare for Stall, as most stallmons are rendered helpless against the troublemaking mon.

Please read these if you think Hoopa will have no niche.

Last edited:
Master B8s Hoopa will have a niche in OU as a stall breaker. I've tested it in custom matches, and it helps skew the team matchup in favor of the player using Hoopa by a significant enough amount to make it OU viable.
I guess it has a good typing for stall since it is neutral to common stall mons, the only problem is stall is becoming less and less common so that niche isn't very appealing and seems very team matchup based

I wonder how usable this piece of garbage would be with an Assault Vest. Shadow Ball / Psyshock with Focus Blast coverage is very potent. Even without Specs Hoopa can do decent damage to pretty much everything.

252 SpA Life Orb Latios Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Hoopa: 148-175 (40.6 - 48%)
252 SpA Life Orb Thundurus Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Hoopa: 99-118 (27.1 - 32.4%)
252 SpA Life Orb Greninja Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Hoopa: 107-126 (29.3 - 34.6%)
252 SpA Life Orb Protean Greninja Dark Pulse vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Hoopa: 312-374 (85.7 - 102.7%)
252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Hoopa: 144-169 (39.5 - 46.4%)
252 SpA Gengar Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Hoopa: 280-336 (76.9 - 92.3%)
252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Landorus Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Hoopa: 121-144 (33.2 - 39.5%) erm knock off does about 200% though.
4 SpA Clefable Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Hoopa: 52-63 (14.2 - 17.3%)

Considering these are pretty much the strongest special attacks in OU that's not so bad. It deals a lot of damage back as well.

252+ SpA Hoopa Shadow Ball vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Latios: 294-348 (97.3 - 115.2%)
252+ SpA Hoopa Psyshock vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Thundurus: 213-252 (71.2 - 84.2%)
252+ SpA Hoopa Psyshock vs. 4 HP / 0 Def (water) Greninja: 222-262 (77.6 - 91.6%)
252+ SpA Hoopa Psyshock vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Keldeo: 350-414 (108.3 - 128.1%)
252+ SpA Hoopa Psyshock vs. 4 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 211-250 (32.8 - 38.9%) okay except not to Chansey.
252+ SpA Hoopa Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Skarmory: 213-252 (63.7 - 75.4%)
252+ SpA Hoopa Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 428-504 (105.9 - 124.7%)
252+ SpA Hoopa Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Alomomola: 298-352 (55.8 - 65.9%) Quagsire gets dicked even harder.
252+ SpA Hoopa Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 240+ Def Mega Venusaur: 204-240 (56 - 65.9%)
252+ SpA Hoopa Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-T: 193-228 (50.5 - 59.6%)
252+ SpA Hoopa Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Azumarill: 193-228 (47.7 - 56.4%)
252+ SpA Hoopa Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Clefable: 175-207 (44.4 - 52.5%)
252+ SpA Hoopa Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Clefable: 205-243 (52 - 61.6%)

Anyway it won't sweep teams but I think it could function like Goodra except unlike Goodra not be completely fucking awful. Yeah it's weak to Pursuit but you easily OHKO TTar and if you run HP Fire Mega Scizor will pay heavily. Weak to Knock Off? Don't leave it in on something that carries Knock Off... Gengar is pretty much the only user of Shadow Ball (which Hoopa survives anyway lol). I don't think Greninja even run Dark Pulse anymore so w/e (which again, it lives through like 95% of the time).

idk might still be shitty but it probably wouldn't be complete dead weight. Its physical defense sucks dick but with max HP it still survives an Outrage from Garchomp even if Stealth Rocks are down (well, usually).

Edit: what was Gamefrea thinking with Hyperspace Hole? Yeah lets give Volcanion super-Scald, Diancie Super Stone Edge and A MEGA, and Hoopa.. Hoopa can have a weak Psychic with less PP BUT IT CAN BREAK PROTECT YEAH

Last edited:
Magician is a decent ability.It lets u to absorb knock offs.After getting your item knocked,u can do the same thing back to the opponent except that u get that item.Something like keldeo will benefit from the typing.

Damn gamefreak,the mons that they give magician are.....
252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Delphox: 336-396 (115.4 - 136%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Knock Off vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Hoopa: 528-624 (145 - 171.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

I wonder how usable this piece of garbage would be with an Assault Vest. Shadow Ball / Psyshock with Focus Blast coverage is very potent. Even without Specs Hoopa can do decent damage to pretty much everything.

252 SpA Life Orb Latios Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Hoopa: 148-175 (40.6 - 48%)
252 SpA Life Orb Thundurus Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Hoopa: 99-118 (27.1 - 32.4%)
252 SpA Life Orb Greninja Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Hoopa: 107-126 (29.3 - 34.6%)
252 SpA Life Orb Protean Greninja Dark Pulse vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Hoopa: 312-374 (85.7 - 102.7%)
252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Hoopa: 144-169 (39.5 - 46.4%)
252 SpA Gengar Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Hoopa: 280-336 (76.9 - 92.3%)
252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Landorus Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Hoopa: 121-144 (33.2 - 39.5%) erm knock off does about 200% though.
4 SpA Clefable Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Hoopa: 52-63 (14.2 - 17.3%)

Considering these are pretty much the strongest special attacks in OU that's not so bad. It deals a lot of damage back as well.

252+ SpA Hoopa Shadow Ball vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Latios: 294-348 (97.3 - 115.2%)
252+ SpA Hoopa Psyshock vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Thundurus: 213-252 (71.2 - 84.2%)
252+ SpA Hoopa Psyshock vs. 4 HP / 0 Def (water) Greninja: 222-262 (77.6 - 91.6%)
252+ SpA Hoopa Psyshock vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Keldeo: 350-414 (108.3 - 128.1%)
252+ SpA Hoopa Psyshock vs. 4 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 211-250 (32.8 - 38.9%) okay except not to Chansey.
252+ SpA Hoopa Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Skarmory: 213-252 (63.7 - 75.4%)
252+ SpA Hoopa Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 428-504 (105.9 - 124.7%)
252+ SpA Hoopa Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Alomomola: 298-352 (55.8 - 65.9%) Quagsire gets dicked even harder.
252+ SpA Hoopa Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 240+ Def Mega Venusaur: 204-240 (56 - 65.9%)
252+ SpA Hoopa Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-T: 193-228 (50.5 - 59.6%)
252+ SpA Hoopa Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Azumarill: 193-228 (47.7 - 56.4%)
252+ SpA Hoopa Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Clefable: 175-207 (44.4 - 52.5%)
252+ SpA Hoopa Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Clefable: 205-243 (52 - 61.6%)

Anyway it won't sweep teams but I think it could function like Goodra except unlike Goodra not be completely fucking awful. Yeah it's weak to Pursuit but you easily OHKO TTar and if you run HP Fire Mega Scizor will pay heavily. Weak to Knock Off? Don't leave it in on something that carries Knock Off... Gengar is pretty much the only user of Shadow Ball (which Hoopa survives anyway lol). I don't think Greninja even run Dark Pulse anymore so w/e (which again, it lives through like 95% of the time).

idk might still be shitty but it probably wouldn't be complete dead weight. Its physical defense sucks dick but with max HP it still survives an Outrage from Garchomp even if Stealth Rocks are down (well, usually).

Edit: what was Gamefrea thinking with Hyperspace Hole? Yeah lets give Volcanion super-Scald, Diancie Super Stone Edge and A MEGA, and Hoopa.. Hoopa can have a weak Psychic with less PP BUT IT CAN BREAK PROTECT YEAH
Assault Vest is complete Pursuit bait since it's slow and has no protection from Substitute. It also has no recovery, meaning that hazards, statuses and attacks are going to wear it down much more quickly than Conkeldurr or Goodra, who at least have either a form of recovery or extreme bulk.

Hyperspace Hole was intended for Doubles, where Protect is on nearly every Pokemon. While I wish it was 100 BP or so, it's not a completely useless move.

Also, please read my post from the other page. You won't be needing a gimmicky Assault Vest set to have Hoopa survive in OU.
Magician is a decent ability.It lets u to absorb knock offs.After getting your item knocked,u can do the same thing back to the opponent except that u get that item.Something like keldeo will benefit from the typing.

Damn gamefreak,the mons that they give magician are.....
252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Delphox: 336-396 (115.4 - 136%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Knock Off vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Hoopa: 528-624 (145 - 171.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Also probably a Doubles thing, since Sitrus Berries and the like are somewhat common. However, on certain sets in Singles like Sub + 3 Attacks, Hoopa can afford to carry a Sitrus Berry or no item at all, but I'd agree that Magician is still a poor ability for it and Delphox as a whole.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)