ORAS UU Horn and Hair

OHAI!!! This is my first UU RMT on smogon. I have never been too dedicated to the forums but what the hey, this is a team that has gotten me higher than ever, so why not get some potential improvements.

Proof of top 50:
upload_2016-3-12_22-10-32.png

TEAMBUILDING PROCESS
upload_2016-3-12_19-44-20.png

The team started as something built vaguely around Choice Band Heracross. i have memories of band Hera and band Victini just about punching holes through my chest as they devestated my team. With Victini banned, I went for Heracross.
upload_2016-3-12_19-46-3.png
upload_2016-3-12_19-47-47.png

Heracross struggles to get past fairies, and can always use Stealth Rock support, hence Metagross.
upload_2016-3-12_19-53-9.png

Heracross has always been worn down by hazards very quickly on my teams of the past, and struggles as a lone fighting check so Crobat was added.
upload_2016-3-12_19-56-1.png

I noticed a big fire weakness, and I had 3 physical attackers. Seeing as a bulky water can almost assure a Gyarados setting up on you, i went for Mega Ampharos.
upload_2016-3-12_19-59-17.png

I knew I needed something to function as a win condition, and as a dragon check, so Florges was an easy addition.
upload_2016-3-12_20-1-29.png

Lastly I wanted a Mamoswine check and some extra speed for the team. As I wanted more speed out of this slot, I went for Rotom-H over Cress.

The Team:

Heracross @ Choice Band
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Megahorn
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Stone Edge

Guts lets Heracross act as a status absorber. It checks Suicune, Reuniclus, Cress with either Guts or its STAB. Knocks off for the team and generally wall breaks. Very little can switch into multiple hits from this monster, just about 2HKOing the entire tier with an appropriate move, especially with SR.

Metagross @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 120 HP / 252 Atk / 136 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Meteor Mash
- Earthquake
- Bullet Punch

This is something I thought I would try given my success with Shuca Cobalion. It manages to lure Mamoswine on a lead match up, lets it get off some useful damage on pokemon wanting to spam EQ. it also gives it a decent chance of winning the mirror match. Meteor Mash and Earthquake give good high powered coverage, resisted by just Gyara and Zapdos and Bronzong. Bullet Punch is also my only source of priority on the team. Stealth Rock is here because literally nothing else on the team can learn it. The EV spread is funky, right now it out speeds Adamant Crawdaunt because that seemed to be a good tier, but overall I am unsure of it moving forward.

Crobat @ Sky Plate
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- Defog
- U-turn

Sky Plate Crobat compromises the power of CB Bat and the supporting capabilities of Support Bat. It still outspeeds Adamant Feraligatr at +1. It forms a part of the Volt Turn that happens on this team, using its speed to pivot around threats and clear hazards.

Ampharos-Mega @ Ampharosite
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 200 HP / 252 Def / 56 Spe
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Dragon Pulse
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

This is surely one of the most purely bulky offense pokemon in the tier. It is truly underrated right now and acts as a catch all check to physical attackers without Earthquake. Volt Switch gives additonal pivoting momentum, and Mega Amphy's low speed lets me bring in Heracross or something safely. Rest and Sleep Talk for recovery, though it can lead to an opponent setting up on Ampharos which can be terrifying. Again, I am not entirely sure what I am speed creeping and so could use some help with the spread.

Florges @ Leftovers
Ability: Flower Veil
EVs: 180 HP / 232 Def / 96 Spe
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Synthesis
- Aromatherapy

Florges is a hugely important Dragon immunity, Dark resist, back up fighting resist, win condition and occasionally cleric. Aromatherapy lets Florges set up on pokemon that rely on toxic to win against bulky set up mons. Synthesis is pretty reliable recovery. This was chosen over Wish/Protect because, while passed Wishes would be nice, there is a lot of recovery on the team. The Speed again creeps Adamant Crawdaunt but this time it is much more impactful as Florges easily OHKOs the crab.

Rotom-Heat @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Trick
- Overheat

My team looked very Mamo weak despite the Shuca Berry Metagross so the result is a scarf Rotom-H to either spread burns, lure with scarf Wisp, and pivot around with my Volt-turn core. Surprisingly good bulk and a back up check to some of the slower fire types in the tier. Avoiding ground is also a key for the team, as it can help me maneouvre around Nidos, and do > 50%. Trick additionally helps me check stall teams by luring their special walls after a couple of scarf wisps. Pokemon like Reuniclus and Suicune can also feel almmost safe setting up on me and then bam tricked into CM.

The team does have a couple of HUGE threats to it, that I have so far been able to maneouvre around. These are:
upload_2016-3-12_21-47-48.png
upload_2016-3-12_21-50-23.png
upload_2016-3-12_21-51-33.png

Offensive Ground types give me some real issues if they persist into the game for a long time. I usually rely on either Metagross to lure them with its Shuca Berry, or Burn them with Rotom, while taking a large hit. Mega Swampert and the Nidos have thankfully been quite rare as I journeyed through the ladder.

upload_2016-3-12_21-54-32.png

Lucario is one of the few ones that has consistently lost me battles. If it nabs an SD late game, Crobat cannot be relied upon to take an ESpeed(+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Lucario Extreme Speed vs. 40 HP / 0 Def Crobat: 266-315 (82.8 - 98.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO). Florges too can struggle to take the damage on, and Ampharos does not take it at all. As with Crobat, Rotom has a chance to take an Espeed, but it is a roll to OHKO.

upload_2016-3-12_22-3-37.png

Doublade is more of a nuisance than a real issue as Rotom-H tends to force it out. However if it ever gets to +4 I am in a bad way, since it OHKOs Rotom with Sneak, does a metric ton to Metagross, Heracross, Crobat and Florges, and Ampharos can be pressured by it, trading 40%s with Doublade getting the last hit off. Weirdly players have been content to sack it at +2 for 50% to Rotom, when its their only fairy check.

nv

The Lost Age
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Hey there TheOhaiGuy nice team you got there! n_n I do, however, have some key fixes that can help you.
  • First off, the lack of a true Fire resist is unnerving as Rotom-Heat and Mega Ampharos both get worn down esp. since offensive Ground-types give you a ton of trouble. That is why I suggest running Salamence > Crobat as this keeps your Fighting resist, but gives you a better Fire resist thanks to its reliable recovery in Roost. Crobat isn't too terribly missed as Salamence still provides the power necessary to keep up with this team.
  • Speaking of Mega Ampharos, I feel that the lack of a Ground-type on a team always irks me as having a Volt Switch immunity is really nice to be able to stop VoltTurn shenanigans. That is why I suggest running Mega Swampert > Mega Ampharos would prove useful as not only as it gives you an Electric immunity, but it forms a pretty decent defensive core with Salamence, still provides a Fire resist (although it hates burns still), and can give the team a cleaner which this team lacks as Rotom-Heat is more of a pivot. Mega Ampharos no longer compounds weaknesses with Salamence and the Flying resist isn't too necessary as you pressure them enough and Metagross is a semi-reliable resist.
  • Lastly, with offensive Ground-types giving you issues as well as bulky Waters, I feel like it is necessary to run Rotom-C > Rotom-H as this gives you a reliable way of beating all common Water- and Ground-types, paving the way for Mega Swampert to clean up or Florges to setup and win. Rotom-C also provides a soft Crawdaunt check as it resists Aqua Jet and dies to either of Rotom-C's STAB moves. Scarf Rotom-C in general gives you a nice momentum grabber, but Specs is a nice wallbreaker as well and either option works for this team depending on if you want the initial speed or power.
I hope I helped with my changes n_n! Sets are below
Salamence @ Life Orb
Ability: Intimidate
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Defog
- Roost

Swampert-Mega @ Swampertite
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Rain Dance

Rotom-Mow @ Choice Scarf / Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Leaf Storm
- Trick

Manipulative

Camila <3
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hey there. Cool team you've got going. Here are some suggestions that you could try out to hopefully have a better time using it.

• You mentioned that offensive ground types are a huge problem, and I can see why. Some other things I noticed are that you don't have an electric immunity, and that Heracross is your only answer to bulky waters. Heracross may be a decent answer to them, but it is prone to getting worn down when switching into scalds and taking residual damage from the potential burn. To help fix all of these problems, I would suggest replacing Mega Ampharos with Mega Sceptile. This gives you something that could deter Volt Switch and take advantage of it if used, thanks to having Lightning Rod. It also serves as a more reliable check to Suicune and other bulky waters, as it has a 4x resistance against water attacks and can keep itself healthy with Giga Drain. Mega Sceptile also gives you a nice check to those offensive grounds, being able to OHKO Krookodile, Mega Swampert, Nidoking, and standard Nidoqueen after it switches into a Moonblast from Florges + Rocks. Rotom-Heat handles Mamo and Donphan pretty well. MSceptile is doing incredibly well in this meta and is something you should definitely consider trying out on the team. Here's the set:

Sceptile-Mega @ Sceptilite
Ability: Lightning Rod
Modest Nature
- Giga Drain
- Dragon Pulse
- Leaf Storm
- Focus Blast​

• With Mega Amphy gone, you lost your only fire check. I would suggest trying out Defensive Rotom-H over your current set. This provides you with a pretty decent fire check that could be tough to wear down thanks to Pain Split. It also serves as a much more reliable check to Doublade and especially Mamoswine, as the offensive sets don't like taking a Knock Off at all. Here's the set:

Rotom-Heat @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Overheat
- Thunderbolt
- Pain Split​

• Mega Sceptile gave you a great answer to Crawdaunt, and Rotom-H is able to take an Aqua Jet to beat it as well. Your team would much rather prefer Florges' full defensive presence, so I suggest changing its spread to Max HP, Max Defense with a Bold Nature to help you handle physical threats like MAero and Lucario better.

• Since Feraligatr has fallen in the tier and Mega Sceptile gives you a great answer to both of its sets, I think Crobat could suffice with only outspeeding Alakazam. A spread of 252 Atk / 80 Def / 176 Spe would give you enough speed to beat Alakazam while giving you some extra bulk for things like Lucario.

• You already have Rotom-H and Metagross to deal with things like Crobat, so I would suggest replacing Stone Edge with Facade on Heracross. Stone Edge is very seldom used, while Facade could do much more once you get statused, such as hitting Florges extremely hard. It would be quite useful since Metagross is the only member of your team to deal with Florges at the moment.

Other Options:
  • Since the team struggles a more with Gyarados now, you could consider replacing Earthquake with Thunder Punch on Metagross. Mega Sceptile is very likely to lure in the Bounce from Gyarados, on which you could switch into Metagross and kill with the Thunder Punch after it hits.
  • Alternatively, you can also replace Earthquake with Grass Knot on Metagross if you feel like you rather have more security against Mega Swampert. If you do so, you'll want to opt for a Naive nature.

I hope my suggestions helped, and good luck with the team!

Reactions: nv
Hey there. Cool team you've got going. Here are some suggestions that you could try out to hopefully have a better time using it.

• You mentioned that offensive ground types are a huge problem, and I can see why. Some other things I noticed are that you don't have an electric immunity, and that Heracross is your only answer to bulky waters. Heracross may be a decent answer to them, but it is prone to getting worn down when switching into scalds and taking residual damage from the potential burn. To help fix all of these problems, I would suggest replacing Mega Ampharos with Mega Sceptile. This gives you something that could deter Volt Switch and take advantage of it if used, thanks to having Lightning Rod. It also serves as a more reliable check to Suicune and other bulky waters, as it has a 4x resistance against water attacks and can keep itself healthy with Giga Drain. Mega Sceptile also gives you a nice check to those offensive grounds, being able to OHKO Krookodile, Mega Swampert, Nidoking, and standard Nidoqueen after it switches into a Moonblast from Florges + Rocks. Rotom-Heat handles Mamo and Donphan pretty well. MSceptile is doing incredibly well in this meta and is something you should definitely consider trying out on the team. Here's the set:

Sceptile-Mega @ Sceptilite
Ability: Lightning Rod
Modest Nature
- Giga Drain
- Dragon Pulse
- Leaf Storm
- Focus Blast​

• With Mega Amphy gone, you lost your only fire check. I would suggest trying out Defensive Rotom-H over your current set. This provides you with a pretty decent fire check that could be tough to wear down thanks to Pain Split. It also serves as a much more reliable check to Doublade and especially Mamoswine, as the offensive sets don't like taking a Knock Off at all. Here's the set:

Rotom-Heat @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Overheat
- Thunderbolt
- Pain Split​

• Mega Sceptile gave you a great answer to Crawdaunt, and Rotom-H is able to take an Aqua Jet to beat it as well. Your team would much rather prefer Florges' full defensive presence, so I suggest changing its spread to Max HP, Max Defense with a Bold Nature to help you handle physical threats like MAero and Lucario better.

• Since Feraligatr has fallen in the tier and Mega Sceptile gives you a great answer to both of its sets, I think Crobat could suffice with only outspeeding Alakazam. A spread of 252 Atk / 80 Def / 176 Spe would give you enough speed to beat Alakazam while giving you some extra bulk for things like Lucario.

• You already have Rotom-H and Metagross to deal with things like Crobat, so I would suggest replacing Stone Edge with Facade on Heracross. Stone Edge is very seldom used, while Facade could do much more once you get statused, such as hitting Florges extremely hard. It would be quite useful since Metagross is the only member of your team to deal with Florges at the moment.

Other Options:
  • Since the team struggles a more with Gyarados now, you could consider replacing Earthquake with Thunder Punch on Metagross. Mega Sceptile is very likely to lure in the Bounce from Gyarados, on which you could switch into Metagross and kill with the Thunder Punch after it hits.
  • Alternatively, you can also replace Earthquake with Grass Knot on Metagross if you feel like you rather have more security against Mega Swampert. If you do so, you'll want to opt for a Naive nature.
I hope my suggestions helped, and good luck with the team!
Interesting suggestions, however, those changes leave me incredibly weak to Gyarados, who has taken Gatr's spot in the meta in many ways. Gyara outspeeds MScep at +1 and bops it with a Bounce. And if I change Metagross's Earthquake to TPunch the result is I get swept by any Nido, as the best way to revenge would be sac and try mega Scep who can do a lot with Leaf Storm, but they can just switch out. Similarly the change to defensive Rotom would mean 1 less Gyara check.

Speaking of the change to Rotom, it means I lack a real semblence of speed outside of Crobat and Sceptile, should I make the original change. I have also found it to be an underwhelming fire type check, as Darmanitan and Entei both commonly carry Rock Coverage, will be able to get 2 hits off, and its weak to rocks. The changes you have suggested leave me very weak to SD 3 attack Cobalion also as Rotom living a +2 Stone Edge is my best option(+2 252 Atk Cobalion Stone Edge vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Rotom-H: 234-276 (77.2 - 91%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock), while if Cobalion is Life Orb, it runs through the changed team like a knife. At least a healthy Ampharos can try to take a hit, pivot to Rotom/Crobat for a KO

Stone Edge on Heracross is my only way of powering through the bulkier sets of Zapdos, with Mega Amphy able to take literally any hit from it, take another, and pivot to Cross. Offensive sets are more difficult to handle, but can be worn down by switching into CCs, SR and taking Volt Switches as I pivot.

Manipulative

Camila <3
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Forgoing EQ for Thunder Punch doesn't mean you get swept by Nidos, since Meteor Mash + Bullet Punch kills Nidoking and takes at least 70% off of standard Nidoqueen. It just means that you would end up having to sac Metagross instead of getting to keep it at like 25-35% after the Earth Power. Heracross (knocking queen off with this makes it much less of a threat btw), Crobat, or MScept would be able to finish it off afterwards. The change to defensive Rotom does make you more vulnerable to rock coverage, so I could understand if you rather not go there. Playing around it is always an option though. As for SD Coba, MSept's Focus Blast OHKOs it, and it could only get free set ups on Metagross and maybe Florges. The changes in speed actually turned more in your favor imo, as MScept offers natural speed while Rotom-H is prone to Knock Off and has to be locked into one move if it doesn't volt switch out. Not to mention that neither of its moves are very comfortable to be locked into. I didn't see Zapdos as a problem since CM Florg just uses it as setup fodder and wins, but you can keep Stone Edge if you prefer. However, Facade is reliable (once statused), will help you in many more situations, and OHKOs standard Nidoqueen.

I understand if you rather not try these though, just giving you my take on why those problems aren't as big as you think.

By the way, NV left you a rate above mine in case you didn't see, so feel free to try out his suggestions if you prefer those :).

Adaam

إسمي جف
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis the 8th Grand Slam Winner
Hey bud, as someone who loves to use Mega Ampharos I thought I'd weigh in and give you some alternate options.

Mega Ampharos' Defensive set is alright, but the loss of Thunderbolt + power is not worth it. You end up losing to CM Water types (Suicune/Slowking), which is annoying considering it's an Electric type that resists Water, and being forced out against stuff like Crobat (which can just Roost as you Volt Switch) and Gyarados (which can Substitute) is a massive pain. All Out Attacking Ampharos over Defensive Ampharos fixes this and makes Ampharos incredibly hard to switch into. Your Doublade matchup improves with this change, since Thunderbolt hits it really hard and it resists Iron Head/Gyro Ball. Here is the set:

Ability: Static
EVs: 196 HP / 252 SpA / 60 Spe
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Dragon Pulse
- Volt Switch
- Thunder Wave

The EV spread creeps Relaxed Swampert, maxes SpA, and pours the rest in bulk. Volt Switch, T-Bolt, and Dragon Pulse are a must. The last slot is flexible, but I chose Thunder Wave so Choice Band Heracross has an easier time wallbreaking. Focus Blast can go here, or even HP Ice to lure Gligar, one of Hera's best checks.

Rotom-H isn't really needed considering we already have an Electric in Amphy. CM Cresselia over Rotom-H maintains a Mamo check, and handles the Nidos the give you so much trouble. Cress is one of the best Lucario counters as well, which you mentioned troubles you. You get a nice wincon that can set up on other CMers like Suicune which can pose a problem if it gets some CMs up and Amphy is weak or dead. Here is the set:

Cresselia @ Leftovers
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Def / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock
- Moonblast
- Moonlight

The speed EVs creep uninvested Suicune, but you might wanna creep a bit more.

Now for some set tweaks:

• Wish + Protect over CM and Synthesis to keep Amphy healthy throughout the match. With CM Cress, this loss is not too bad.
  • 252 HP and 160 Def EVs is a more efficient spread, as maximizing HP lets you handle special hits better as well as physical

• 184 HP / 72 Atk / 252 Spe is an alternate spread to improve bulk while still keeping power. The attack EVs OHKO Machamp and Shaymin after rocks, and the speed creeps Adamant Bee (well it's 3 more speed points, but the extra 12 EVs are not going make a difference in bulk, and tying other Crobats is more useful than 12 HP Evs).
Hope I helped!

Last edited:
Hey bud, as someone who loves to use Mega Ampharos I thought I'd weigh in and give you some alternate options.

Mega Ampharos' Defensive set is alright, but the loss of Thunderbolt + power is not worth it. You end up losing to CM Water types (Suicune/Slowking), which is annoying considering it's an Electric type that resists Water, and being forced out against stuff like Crobat (which can just Roost as you Volt Switch) and Gyarados (which can Substitute) is a massive pain. All Out Attacking Ampharos over Defensive Ampharos fixes this and makes Ampharos incredibly hard to switch into. Your Doublade matchup improves with this change, since Thunderbolt hits it really hard and it resists Iron Head/Gyro Ball. Here is the set:

Ability: Static
EVs: 196 HP / 252 SpA / 60 Spe
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Dragon Pulse
- Volt Switch
- Thunder Wave

The EV spread creeps Relaxed Swampert, maxes SpA, and pours the rest in bulk. Volt Switch, T-Bolt, and Dragon Pulse are a must. The last slot is flexible, but I chose Thunder Wave so Choice Band Heracross has an easier time wallbreaking. Focus Blast can go here, or even HP Ice to lure Gligar, one of Hera's best checks.

Rotom-H isn't really needed considering we already have an Electric in Amphy. CM Cresselia over Rotom-H maintains a Mamo check, and handles the Nidos the give you so much trouble. Cress is one of the best Lucario counters as well, which you mentioned troubles you. You get a nice wincon that can set up on other CMers like Suicune which can pose a problem if it gets some CMs up and Amphy is weak or dead. Here is the set:

Cresselia @ Leftovers
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Def / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock
- Moonblast
- Moonlight

The speed EVs creep uninvested Suicune, but you might wanna creep a bit more.

Now for some set tweaks:

• Wish + Protect over CM and Synthesis to keep Amphy healthy throughout the match. With CM Cress, this loss is not too bad.
  • 252 HP and 160 Def EVs is a more efficient spread, as maximizing HP lets you handle special hits better as well as physical

• 184 HP / 72 Atk / 252 Spe is an alternate spread to improve bulk while still keeping power. The attack EVs OHKO Machamp and Shaymin after rocks, and the speed creeps Adamant Bee (well it's 3 more speed points, but the extra 12 EVs are not going make a difference in bulk, and tying other Crobats is more useful than 12 HP Evs).
Hope I helped!
There is a big issue with making the change to Cress, and that is I lose out on a lot of speed. Even with Twave support from Amphy who is pretty much going to be clicking Dragon Pulse predicting a ground type, or doing nothing for that turn, Crobat becomes my fastest pokemon which can be terrifying if something gets set up, and my checks are weakened. Despite the extra damage from that is a huge sap on momentum.

Speaking of that extra damage, uninvested volt switch still does at least 30% to +2 Suicune, providing it CMs up on Mega Ampharos, which is hugely aggressive as the set you outlined, has a slim chance to 2HKO after the second CM, forcing a rest. Heracross then comes in and either knocks it down low enough for a revenge, or after tanking a Scald KOs it outright. The loss in bulk also compunds a large weakness to Entei/Darmanitan, in exchange for a slighlty better match up with Doublade and Suicune, one of which is not a huge issue for me anyway.

Changing the spread of Florges is nice thank you.

Similarly I will probably try out the Crobat spread and see how it goes. The fast damage is nice, I just really dont want it to be my only source of fast damage.

Hey there TheOhaiGuy nice team you got there! n_n I do, however, have some key fixes that can help you.
  • First off, the lack of a true Fire resist is unnerving as Rotom-Heat and Mega Ampharos both get worn down esp. since offensive Ground-types give you a ton of trouble. That is why I suggest running Salamence > Crobat as this keeps your Fighting resist, but gives you a better Fire resist thanks to its reliable recovery in Roost. Crobat isn't too terribly missed as Salamence still provides the power necessary to keep up with this team.
  • Speaking of Mega Ampharos, I feel that the lack of a Ground-type on a team always irks me as having a Volt Switch immunity is really nice to be able to stop VoltTurn shenanigans. That is why I suggest running Mega Swampert > Mega Ampharos would prove useful as not only as it gives you an Electric immunity, but it forms a pretty decent defensive core with Salamence, still provides a Fire resist (although it hates burns still), and can give the team a cleaner which this team lacks as Rotom-Heat is more of a pivot. Mega Ampharos no longer compounds weaknesses with Salamence and the Flying resist isn't too necessary as you pressure them enough and Metagross is a semi-reliable resist.
  • Lastly, with offensive Ground-types giving you issues as well as bulky Waters, I feel like it is necessary to run Rotom-C > Rotom-H as this gives you a reliable way of beating all common Water- and Ground-types, paving the way for Mega Swampert to clean up or Florges to setup and win. Rotom-C also provides a soft Crawdaunt check as it resists Aqua Jet and dies to either of Rotom-C's STAB moves. Scarf Rotom-C in general gives you a nice momentum grabber, but Specs is a nice wallbreaker as well and either option works for this team depending on if you want the initial speed or power.
I hope I helped with my changes n_n! Sets are below
Salamence @ Life Orb
Ability: Intimidate
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Defog
- Roost

Swampert-Mega @ Swampertite
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Rain Dance

Rotom-Mow @ Choice Scarf / Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Leaf Storm
- Trick
I like the idea of Salamence being a potential change. Crobat hasnt quite had the bulk I have sometimes needed, and Intimidate can help with Lucario, Doublade and others. This does, in my opinion, force me to not run Rotom-C as I would almost lose at team preview to Mamoswine. This is because Swampert(your other change) is 2HKOd and can't switch in until Mega Evolved, and even then does not like doing so, meaning I have to stick with Rotom-H. Swampert has minimal synergy with Rotom-H, weakening its best STAB move, limiting Florges recovery, weakening Mence's coverage, and powering up water moves directed at Heracross(scalds). For these reasons I will probably try Mence but not the others as they dont semm to fit what i am trying to achieve.

Reactions: nv

nv

The Lost Age
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
I like the idea of Salamence being a potential change. Crobat hasnt quite had the bulk I have sometimes needed, and Intimidate can help with Lucario, Doublade and others. This does, in my opinion, force me to not run Rotom-C as I would almost lose at team preview to Mamoswine. This is because Swampert(your other change) is 2HKOd and can't switch in until Mega Evolved, and even then does not like doing so, meaning I have to stick with Rotom-H. Swampert has minimal synergy with Rotom-H, weakening its best STAB move, limiting Florges recovery, weakening Mence's coverage, and powering up water moves directed at Heracross(scalds). For these reasons I will probably try Mence but not the others as they dont semm to fit what i am trying to achieve.
You could potentially run Yache Berry on Rotom-C as a nice way to have a one-time check to Mamoswine since Rotom-C is really nice to get around bulky Water-types (which Salamence lacks the ability to do) and it gives Rotom-C a way to check +1 Gatr as well as tanking an Ice-type coverage move from most Water-types while it blast them away with its STAB moves.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)